Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear piercing - South Dublin

Options
  • 02-07-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi All,

My 7 year old has me plagued to get her ears pierced so I said she could get it done when she got her summer holidays.

I've heard bad reports about Claires and been told that tatoo parlours are good considering ears are the most basic piercings they do. I know i got mine done in a jewelers when I was about my daughters age.

Can anyone recommend anywhere decent ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Much higher chance of infection of you go to somewhere like a jeweller's. Standard advice is to avoid like the plague if they use a gun (they can't be sterilised).
    A professional piercer will use a sterile needle and keep everything clean and it should hurt a bit less to boot!

That said many, many people (including myself) have had piercings done with guns over the years without our ears falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I went to a piercing and tattoos place on middle Abbey st. to get my ears repierced a few years ago. It was excellent and I'll bring mine there when the time comes. Way more sterile than the guns. I had constant infections when I first got them done aged 12 with a gun but not a problem after the tattoo place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

lazygal wrote: »
    I went to a piercing and tattoos place on middle Abbey st. to get my ears repierced a few years ago. It was excellent and I'll bring mine there when the time comes. Way more sterile than the guns. I had constant infections when I first got them done aged 12 with a gun but not a problem after the tattoo place.

That place Snakebite? They don't pierce anyone under 14, even with parental permission.

Having them done with a gun as a kid destroyed my earlobes

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I actually went to the Dundrum Body Piercing studio in the end ... They were great. They did it with a sterile needle and there was very little pain (trust me, if there was, i'd never hear the end of it!!!) and only €15 euro for the piercing and the titanium studs. I could have bought the cleaning solution for about €10 (I think) but they said the salt and water would be fine.

That place Snakebite? They don't pierce anyone under 14, even with parental permission.

Having them done with a gun as a kid destroyed my earlobes

That's the place, couldn't remember the name. I also had so many problems after gun piercings. The 14 year old policy is actually a pretty good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭pooch90

Snakebite would have been my recommendation too.
    I got my tongue pierced there 12 years ago and my brother is covered in piercings, all from there.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Snakebite would have been my recommendation too.
    I got my tongue pierced there 12 years ago and my brother is covered in piercings, all from there.

They're one of the best for piercings, but they definitely won't even do earlobes on anyone under 14, regardless of parental permission. I know one of the owners and asked about it before as a result of another thread on boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My own guy wouldn't pierce anyone under 14 either...

I like that policy tbh, but it can also make it difficult to find a good, reputable place when a ten year old knows full well that they want their ears pierced!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Some GPs will oblige.

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    Some GPs will oblige.

Are you serious? If I thought my GP would agree to pierce my child's ears I'd be seriously wondering what kind of doctor they were. Do GPs actually agree to this and do piercings?

Are you serious? If I thought my GP would agree to pierce my child's ears I'd be seriously wondering what kind of doctor they were. Do GPs actually agree to this and do piercings?

Why, what's so hard to believe about it? i.e. providing a sterile environment for a procedure which carries an inherent risk of infection when carried out outside of a suitable environment.

Plenty of GPs will do it for you if you ask. Whether one is willing to pay the premium for a GP visit, etc, well that's another story of course.

Why, what's so hard to believe about it? i.e. providing a sterile environment for a procedure which carries an inherent risk of infection when carried out outside of a suitable environment.

Plenty of GPs will do it for you if you ask. Whether one is willing to pay the premium for a GP visit, etc, well that's another story of course.

I have never heard of a GP offering to pierce the ears of a child. They aren't trained in ear piercing and, more to the point, I would question why they'd agree to pierce the ears of a child in the first place, no matter what the reason given by the child or the parent.

As I said, any GP who does a sideliine in ear piercing, or other types of piercing, wouldn't be someone I'd be attending. The cost is beside the point.

I would question why they'd agree to pierce the ears of a child in the first place, no matter what the reason given by the child or the parent

The justification is pretty straightforward, i.e. 'I / My child wishes to have their ears pierced and I would prefer it to be done in a sterile environment'.

The justification is pretty straightforward, i.e. 'I / My child wishes to have their ears pierced and I would prefer it to be done in a sterile environment'.
    I'd expect any regular GP to refer said parent and child to a trained professional in such a case.

I'd expect any regular GP to refer said parent and child to a trained professional in such a case.

Any GP which offers this service is naturally completely qualified to do so.

Getting it done in a proper studio is also a sterile environment, with people who do it for a living.

Getting it done in a proper studio is also a sterile environment, with people who do it for a living.

I agree completely with you, and I'm not arguing to the contrary.

There are still however some who just feel more comfortable within a clinical environment, and hence I would think it a good thing that some GPs will also offer this service to those who wish to avail of it.

I do not agree that GPs should be criticized or belittled for offering this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

As dodgy as Claires and the likes are with piercing guns, many people are actually ok after the piercings. I got 5 of my piercings done with a gun (double lobes and cartilage) and the rest with a needle. The healing was no different for any of them. That said, a friend of mine developed a severe infection from Claires and ended up with permanent scaring and 3 rounds of antibiotics. It's the risk you take, but if a tattoo parlour wont pierce until 14 it may be worth looking into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Just be careful. I got mine done for my communion in Clare's at 7 and my ears got terribly infected despite being cleaned 3 or more times a day.( I was always terrified of infected sores as a clumsy child who often scraped knees.)
    They still got infected and closed over the piercing at the back almost overnight. My mam took them out and the cries from me must have sounded like I was being murdered but I wouldn't let anyone else touch them.. Got them redone at 12 and was grand.
    I do have fast healing skin though and 11 years later the skin at the back closes up.
    Some people just don't suit piercings on matter how much we love them :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement