Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumour: Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console

• 02-07-2015 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console in 2016 and has recently asked its supply chain partners to start pilot production in October, at the latest. The console will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), but Pegatron Technology is aggressively trying to snatch some of the orders, according to sources familiar to the plan.

Pegatron and Foxconn both declined to comment.

Nintendo in March announced its plan of releasing Nintendo NX in 2016 and has started visiting its supply chain partners recently. The orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016 and mass production will start in May or June 2016, while the console's official launch may take place around July, the sources said.

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year. The shipment volume of Wii U is estimated at two million units in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

Component suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, PixArt Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Electronics, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech, are also expected to land orders from Nintendo for the new console, the sources added.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

Rumour so far, but digitimes had info on the XB1 and PS4 during its development.
    Apart from the error of claiming Nintendo has confirmed a 2016 launch, its interesting. 20M units would almost definitely mean a handheld if true. July release seems crazy though, right after E3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

July doesn't sound right. Interesting though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I still think as do most people it will be a hybrid at home and portable handheld device with a possible mid year direct with launch towards end of year with new Zelda as possible launch title.

I think Nintendo have had a wake up call after the Wii U poor responce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, when can I preorder?
    Money no object!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think we'll get two consoles with a shared library and OS. Now I wanna pre order too :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I imagine we'll also have two sets of launch titles, one for the handheld and one for the console.
    I've never wished it was a year later so much!

Now
    giphy-facebook_s.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnZ8d0kbZP3ITuuu7l9FBjKdJCJf53OITYzN7Q_XFUY6b8vXsY7zRjgME

July 2016
    13-1281221338-bg-happy-spongebob-squarepants.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

20 million in its first year? Good luck with that! It'd have to:

1) Appeal to everyone
    2) Have MAJOR third party support
    3) **** gold out its ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's taken the PS4 18 months to shift 20 million units and that is one of the fastest selling consoles ever. I just can't see Nintendo doing that in 12 months unless they release world wide at the same time and it costs €250 max and has all it's big 1st party titles ready to go day one.

I thought the WiiU was starting to take off and I caved and bought one this time last year. Worst console buy ever for me considering the €300 price I payed for it. Think I've used my SNES more then the WiiU in the past 12 months.

Without major 3rd party support their next console will end up worse off than the WiiU.
    At this stage they should go handheld only as they are not even trying to compete with the competition that they don't recognise as competition anymore. I think they see the iPad as more competition than a X1 or PS4.

20 million in its first year? Good luck with that! It'd have to:

1) Appeal to everyone

I can't imagine the haters will be easily appeased, but they are probably already abusing themselves daily over the top of their XB1/PS4 and won't be changed.
    They really need to impress on people that this is a new machine and relevant.
    2) Have MAJOR third party support

I can see major third party support being a given, especially if the game development environment is such that current games in progress can be easily ported over. That way EA, Ubi and the like can get a presence on the new machine for a small outlay, there is no way that Nintendo can afford to have a console released in the west with no Fifa.
    3) **** gold out its ass.

I can only suggest that what ever IP Nintendo may have will be thrown at the new machine in a big way, imagine Splatoon on a console with the power of the other current gen games, or Super Mario Galaxy 3. They would be god enough for me, at least to begin with.
    Couple this with Amiibo, perhaps a Pokemon tie in, money in the bank....

Its says ship 20 million not to sell they might plan to make more than normal to avoid stock stortage which tends to happen when a new console is released.

Gen 8 Pokemon as a launch title? Or x2/Y2? And possibly zelda as well, cross gen.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Gen 8 Pokemon as a launch title? Or x2/Y2? And possibly zelda as well, cross gen.

I hoping they'll make it backwardly compatible with the Virtual boy, so I can play Galactic Pinball on my main TV with a Nintendo branded Oculus Rift!

Oh ciderman *pats on head*

Oh ciderman *pats on head*

I know,
    I wanted them to make a VB compilation cart for the 3DS but they didn't, feckers.

I could see a novel result when Dark Souls 3 is released on it though.
    We have to expect that any big multiplatform launch of 2016 is going to have to come to the NX is it is to be seen as a viable alternative to the other current gen players. No longer will it suffice that the Nintendo console is the device you own as well as your PS4/XB1/Gaming PC.

Imagine Nintendo got the next From Software game exclusive to NX...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Imagine Nintendo got the next From Software game exclusive to NX...

Can't see that happening unless the NX is a relatively powerful machine with pc-like architecture and Nintendo has a decent online infrastructure in place. Sure From have already begun work on DS3 haven't they?

I can't see Dark Souls being anything other than multiplatform.
    But, it's far more likely that it will appear on the NX, as long as its architecture suits porting.
    Of course, it will have to distinguish itself from the competition, 60fps at 1080p anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Regarding technical specifications, I fear Nintendo are in an awkward position. By the time the NX launches, I imagine the PS4 and Xbox One will be halfway (perhaps more) through their lifespans. It seems like the NX will have the current consoles and their successors as competition, so I'm not sure how Nintendo will manage this.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Regarding technical specifications, I fear Nintendo are in an awkward position. By the time the NX launches, I imagine the PS4 and Xbox One will be halfway (perhaps more) through their lifespans. It seems like the NX will have the current consoles and their successors as competition, so I'm not sure how Nintendo will manage this.

Halfway?
    Not at all.
    The PS4 was released at the end of 2013, in Japan it was early 2014,meaning that by the time the NX comes out it will be 2.5/3 years in, at that the console has only gained any real traction in the past 12 months, with some decent releases.
    The crucial thing for the NX will be to hit the ground running, not to take it's time gathering 1st and 3rd party release momentum, instead with Nintendo investing to get the releases out there, into early adopter hands.
    Christmas 2016 is likey to be a massive sales period, most people who will own a PS4 have yet to buy it yet, by the PS3's seventh year it had sold 80 million consoles, by the PS4's 2nd to 3rd year it has sold 22.5 million.
    And that should be remembered to have been in competition with the very successful 360, which sold nearly 90 million consoles, and the XB1 doesn't seem to selling in the same numbers, with 10 million so far.
    To think of it another way, the last gen, just taking 360 and PS3 into account, sold a combined 170 million consoles or so.
    This gen has, so far, sold 32 million, again considering only the PS4 and XB1.
    Assuming everyone who bought into the last gen is going to do it again in time, there is a further 138 million consoles to be sold in the gen's lifetime.
    I'd say Nintendo can safely carve out a slice of that, if they launch the right hardware with what the public appear to want, a powerful machine that can do 1080p games at a consistent 60 fps, with all the third party titles they love combined with the craft Nintendo consistently put into their first party releases.
    A price point that is competitive too, looking to next years end I'd imagine the PS4/XB1 will be in at €299 each, and that's what Nintendo are going to have to pitch at.
    Akin to Sony and the PS3, Nintendo may have to suck up the loss making hardware and hope they can make it back in a great software range, keeping the price competitive.
    Either way, it'll be an interesting Christmas next year, just have to accept that I'll be nearly 45 before I get my hands on new Nintendo hardware! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Assuming everyone who bought into the last gen is going to do it again in time, there is a further 138 million consoles to be sold in the gen's lifetime.
    Why assume that?

I'd be surprised to see either console last more than six years.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Why assume that?

I'd be surprised to see either console last more than six years.

Well, the PS series of consoles seems to be extending it's lifespan with each release
    The Playstation was releaseed in 1994, discontinued in 2006, 12 year lifespan, and sold 102.49 million consoles.
    The Playstation 2 was released in 2000, discontinued in 2012, another 12 year lifespan, and sold 155 million consoles.
    The Playstation 3 was released in 2006, it's still being manufactured 9 years later, in 2013 it had sold 80 million and by this year Sony expect to have sold 150 million in total.
    The Playstation 4 has been out around 3 years and has sold 22 million thus far, Sony expect to get another 9 years out of it, and anyone that has one can still consider themselves in the minority, considering how many PS3s are still active out there.

The point of all of that, considering this is a Nintendo forum, is that there is still everything to play for.
    This generation is still in its infancy and the majority of consoles, even by Christmas 2016, will have yet to be sold.
    All it takes is one machine with a killer line up and people will buy into it.
    And that's what I would expect from Nintendo in a years time, to start ramping up the excitement, with announcements from E3 next year and a lineup of the biggest titles either exclusive to the NX format or being released along with the PS4/XB1 editions.

And none of that takes into account that the 3DS is ripe for replacement and that no one knows how to succeed in the handheld market like Nintendo, proof of that is the fact they really are the only active dedicated handheld console in the market at all, with the Vita still a cracking machine but with bugger all big game development happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I think "launch" in that article is a slightly botched translation job - it'll be UNVEILED in June/July. Launch in late November. Hybrid system, Nintendo Cross - handheld part will be new 3DS for years 1-3, new handheld thereafter.

I'm confident enough in that to take any wager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Someone somewhere said it's going to be $150 ?
    Handheld wii u.

Will be called Wii U Mii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nintendo WiiDs

The verified leaker guy from unseen64 had this to say

kBCvkzh.png

I hace just had it confirmed from a source who works in a brothel frequented by Nintendo execs that the name of the NX will be
    Wii on Mii

At least she detailed they say it on every visit so it must be true.

No way the new Nintendo is going to underperform, given that this is a new console and the PS4 is already three years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This came up on top of google results while I was browsing.

http://www.geek.com/games/reddit-user-finds-fabled-play-station-nintendosony-hybrid-console-1627024/
    A a Reddit user has posted images and a video of the legendary console after finding it in a box of junk from when his father worked at Nintendo. You know what they say — one man’s trash is another’s treasure.

More links
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/03/nintendo-playstation-prototype/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/original-sonynintendo-playstation-prototype/

Thought it may be more apt to put it in the "New nintendo console" thread. :)

There's even a game for it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would be a really bad idea to release a console that's less powerful than PS4 or Xbox One, especially if they're trying to get third parties on board. They should be learning from everything they did wrong with Wii U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

A release this time next year wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Nintendo breaking the habit of releasing in November/ December would mean no more crippling shortages for Christmas.

My wishlist for the console:
    -I hope it's backwards compatible just to play the 4 or 5 must-haves the Wii U has.
    -It needs to be powerful enough to play PS4/ Xbox One games because as CastorTroy said, they should be learning. No point releasing another underpowered console for the sake of it.
    -It also needs a better name than Wii U, something obviously next-gen like Nintendo Next.
    -I'd imagine Zelda launching for both consoles like what they did in 2006 with Twilight Princess
    -Mario Galaxy 3 would be amazing. Or the next logical step: Super Mario Universe- massive open-world game where everyone is wearing a cat costume, hijacking cars and dressing hookers as the princess
    -The last one is mostly a joke.

A release this time next year wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Nintendo breaking the habit of releasing in November/ December would mean no more crippling shortages for Christmas.

My wishlist for the console:
    -I hope it's backwards compatible just to play the 4 or 5 must-haves the Wii U has.
    -It needs to be powerful enough to play PS4/ Xbox One games because as CastorTroy said, they should be learning. No point releasing another underpowered console for the sake of it.
    -It also needs a better name than Wii U, something obviously next-gen like Nintendo Next.
    -I'd imagine Zelda launching for both consoles like what they did in 2006 with Twilight Princess
    -Mario Galaxy 3 would be amazing. Or the next logical step: Super Mario Universe- massive open-world game where everyone is wearing a cat costume, hijacking cars and dressing hookers as the princess
    -The last one is mostly a joke.

Pokemon 20th anniversary game with Amiibo cards also.

• Advertisement

Nintendo breaking the habit of releasing in November/ December would mean no more crippling shortages for Christmas.

Nintendo very carefully plans its "hardware shortages", so don't bet against it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

It's been reported today the new console won't be as powerful as the PS4... what's the bloody point then.

Well powers not everything. In a simple term, I always think of the fact that 8 years on, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 look better than many games that came out on 360/PS3 at the same time.

Well powers not everything. In a simple term, I always think of the fact that 8 years on, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 look better than many games that came out on 360/PS3 at the same time.

I wouldn't agree with that, the game isn't even in HD, I'm thinking in 2 years, power will be everything, look at the end of the PS3 how games looked compared to Wii's.

At the same time, it can be expected if the NX is handheld, which kind of makes sense when you think of the fact it was first mentioned alongside mobile talk.

Doesn't need to be in HD, raw power isn't everything.

And that is also a rumour being reported on from the unseen 64 guy, so its not concrete.

edit - yeah so the handheld NX being less powerful than the PS4 is a pretty powerful console :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

As long as it has mariokart 9, splatoon 2 and a zelda game, that will do for me :)

Won't do for all the rest of them, people like you and me who don't feast on the first party nintendo stuff.

By the time it's out the PS4 will be 3 year old tech.
    There is no way the NX is going to be a poorer machine than that.
    The Nintendo hardware development process seems so tight that any big contentious news like that is bound to be just a bit of trolling, and I just don't believe it tbh.
    Nintendo have indicated there will be no news or announcements until 2016, end of.
    The rest of the bluster online is just reframing of existing speculation by click bait news sites and straight out lies.

As long as it has mariokart 9, splatoon 2 and a zelda game, that will do for me :)

It won't do me, the only first party game I ever bought was Yoshi's Woolly World, sure I never played the NES Mario till I was 17 :O I was a Sega then Playstation kid.

I hear it's a giant chicken!

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

No, don't be a fool, it's going to be the Bolivian navy on manoeuvres off the coast of Peru!

Is that Nintendo's new mascot?

Let's face it, Nintendo will never learn their lesson and be like the other two.

They could sit back, and rake in third party license fees, but instead they alienate them and take pride in their platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

latest?cb=20140423122258

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    By the time it's out the PS4 will be 3 year old tech.
    There is no way the NX is going to be a poorer machine than that.

Yeah, they'd never do something like that would they

Yeah, they'd never do something like that would they

No, I think I've said I don't think they would.
    It would be business suicide and they are in the business of making money.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think the rumour is true? That they would start production in October and have them on shelves by mid next year?
    I think it's way too far fetched.
    I mean, surely they would say a lot more (seeing as it would damage the Wii U sales wither way) than nothing, if they were planning on having it production before the end of the year?

They may have been working on it secretly before, but they would still need to know what was in MS and Sony's pipeline. It makes it seem a bit like a rush job.

Allyall wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does anyone think the rumour is true? That they would start production in October and have them on shelves by mid next year?
    I mean, surely they would say a lot more (seeing as it would damage the Wii U sales wither way) than nothing, if they were planning on having it production before the end of the year?

They may have been working on it secretly before, but they would still need to know what was in MS and Sony's pipeline. It makes it seem a bit like a rush job.

Announced mid year on sale November,Xbox One was announced in may and on sale in november the PS4 was announced in February and launched in November.

I hope its a good console though Nintendo have a habit of ingoring what other consoles can do and offer consumers and living by the motto "We are Nintendo we are grand"

Allyall wrote: »

I think they're manufacturing consoles for e3, not for general sale.

That's if it's even got any truth to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement