Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adive on an American Style house in Ireland

Options
  • 02-07-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys.

We are trying to narrow down the type of house that we are looking for. We are looking for something a bit different and we both love this house here.

Www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans/dhs/collections/2-story-house-plans/dhsw67493.html?from=search#in_this_plan

What are the obvious reasons why nobody is building these in Ireland. I understand that they would need to be revamped for Irish building regulations.

Is it possible to build this type of house here ? Would an architect be able to give us a rough etimate of its cost ?

Would something like this just end up costing way more than it's worth. We have the land and a working budget of around 300,000 Euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

That link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 11 henry.shane

Just add www. to link please. I presume the mod will not have an issue but I can't get any help without showing what I'm talking about.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

This the house?

http://www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans/dhs/collections/2-story-house-plans/dhsw67493.html?from=search#in_this_plan

Take it to an architect and see. The fact that most of these houses would be timber framed and more use for a warmer climate.

Any architect could take that design and make it work for here though. Theres also the issue of planning, mostly planners like to see houses in areas that look quite similar. That might be out of character with west clare for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

... becuase thats an american style house and we live in ireland not america..

same reason we dont build these, or these, or these

planners would generally not give permission for such styles of architecture, especially on a conspicuous site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hey guys.

We are trying to narrow down the type of house that we are looking for. We are looking for something a bit different and we both love this house here.

Www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans/dhs/collections/2-story-house-plans/dhsw67493.html?from=search#in_this_plan

What are the obvious reasons why nobody is building these in Ireland. I understand that they would need to be revamped for Irish building regulations.

Is it possible to build this type of house here ? Would an architect be able to give us a rough etimate of its cost ?

Would something like this just end up costing way more than it's worth. We have the land and a working budget of around 300,000 Euro.

You should stick to a total floor area of below 200m2 with that budget

Google 'cork rural housing guidlines' as a good example of what planners want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 henry.shane

sydthebeat wrote: »

They look amazing SYDTHEBEAT, do you know where I can get the plans for those !

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sydthebeat wrote: »

plans for what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your architect will be able to prepare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KFiddles

I bought a timber-frame "unusual" house and couldn't be happier. I love the design of your home and don't understand the comment about expensive upkeep.

I think the expense in timber framing comes from the fact that much of the framing materials need to be imported because as I understand it, not much is available in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

KFiddles wrote: »
    I bought a timber-frame "unusual" house and couldn't be happier. I love the design of your home

Any chance of a picture of it? (Leave out the www. And a mod will insert)

OP,
    an American ranch style McMansion , plonked in rural Ireland between a rusting curved roof barn and a whitewashed tatched cottage/ bungalow is not in keeping with the Irish vernacular, read some of the councils rural house giidlines and you'll get an understanding of what is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought a timber-frame "unusual" house and couldn't be happier. I love the design of your home and don't understand the comment about expensive upkeep.

I think the expense in timber framing comes from the fact that much of the framing materials need to be imported because as I understand it, not much is available in Ireland.

...there's no problem with materials here. We did a house a while ago where the client clad it in Larch. No biggie. The only issue is cost - those finishes, bar one that I know of, are all more expensive than masonry external finishes. (you can still build a TF house either way).

My own house is houseplan I brought back from Atlanta, but I knocked all the silly stuff off the front, and used more local finishes. Inside is as US as they get, plan-wise.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KFiddles

Pics of the house.. Mod will have to add http in front of the colon.

Http//i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/intuitive_investor/
    Http//i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/intuitive_investor/IMG_1999_zpsfno7r95l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Pics of the house.. Mod will have to add http in front of the colon.

Http//i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/intuitive_investor/
    Http//i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/intuitive_investor/IMG_1999_zpsfno7r95l.jpg

Linky no worky :)... I'm getting "intuitive_investor's Library is Private."

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement