Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon Wifi printer driving me mad

Options
  • 02-07-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    Hope someone can help me on this
    Canon MG5550 printer connected to home Wifi,Eircom Zyexl router.
    The printer won't stay on line for more than a few hours..shows offline on laptop and mobile device.

The only way to restore connection is by turning the printer off and on at the mains.No good if I am 50 miles away and want to print something off remotely.

Canon told me to reset the connection and also ensure that signal strength was at least 70%.On the diagnostic print out it showed 91% so that's not the problem

Does anyone know a lasting fix for this problem as it's driving me mad?

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd guess its the printer going into "Eco mode" or whatever they call it and dropping its wireless link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

ED E wrote: »
    I'd guess its the printer going into "Eco mode" or whatever they call it and dropping its wireless link.

Hi
    No sadly not...if only it was that simple. I actually disabled the auto power off funtion when I set the printer up as I wanted it to stay on the whole time

Scratching my head here :mad:
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I've had this problem more than once on my MX350.
    Have you checked to see if there's a firmware update available?
    Sorted me out last time, though I had to reset the thing completely too.

Canon suggested I set printer to a static IP Network

Followed the instructions they e-mailed
    Guess what? on-line after restart then checking this morning at 9am OFFLINE!!:mad:

My laptop is running Windows 8 BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try accessing the printer by it's IP address rather than it's share name.

e.g. add a network printer and instead of searching or keying in it's share name just put the IP address as the name. That way your machine won't be trying to translate the name to an address so won't need to check if it's 'online' or not.

• Advertisement

Little update for anyone interested

After the static IP change the laptop AT HOME does stay connected to the wifi printer over the home wifi.However, and this is the clincher, the printer is now not connected to the internet ie Cloud so no remote printing via moblie devices or other computers away from home.

Canon suggested re registering the printer with Google cloud again but hey,that can't be done without the internet connection!!

Can't update firmware either...needs the printer connected to internet!!!

So, at the moment a cloud ready printer ISN'T cloud ready...it's a brick!!!

Anyone know how to fix this little problem I will be eternally grateful

Steve

Advertisement