Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for security deposit on viewing

Options
  • 02-07-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

Don't know am I just being paranoid but need some advice. Had arranged to view a property later tonight. Today I received an email requesting that I bring the security deposit as she has has a lot of interest in the property. Is this ok? I don't think it is and am unsure how I should reply.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

shellycub wrote: »
    Hi,

Don't know am I just being paranoid but need some advice. Had arranged to view a property later tonight. Today I received an email requesting that I bring the security deposit as she has has a lot of interest in the property. Is this ok? I don't think it is and am unsure how I should reply.

Thanks

Is the viewing by a reputable estate agency firm?

If not, it's most likely a scam. On the off chance that it's not a scam, it's not worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

No it's a private owner. Thanks for your advice wasn't sure was I being overly cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Unfortunately this may not be a scam and is the way the rental market has gone.

Friend was looking for a new apartment recently. First 2 places he viewed went on the evening of viewing, to people with cash in hand for deposit.

There was even a case of bidding with people saying they would give x more per month and handed it over there and then.

After losing two apartments due to not being able to provide security on the evening of viewing he ended up bringing a deposit with him and got a place relatively quickly.

Very very different from the last time i had to find accommodation, and a scary development.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Yes I have heard of out bidding happening and understand people bringing deposit. I would understand if this place was closer to the city or had only been put up on daft. The fact that it has been up for a month makes me wonder and that the landlord asked for me to bring the deposit just makes me wary.

It has been a long time since I've had to look for accomodation and finding the whole thing very stressful without worrying about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You could ask for their bank details and have online banking set up on your phone and have any card readers you need with you if you're not comfortable bringing cash. Or use AIB's me2u app (or equivalent for a few other banks) as you can just 'text' the money to them there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

It's definitely good practice these days (certainly in Dublin) to bring your deposit and references with you. It certainly won't take away from your prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

It's definitely good practice these days (certainly in Dublin) to bring your deposit and references with you. It certainly won't take away from your prospects.

Maybe don't go by yourself if you're concerned, and if you do get the place, make sure you get a receipt and the ID details of the person you hand the cash over to, drivers license number or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I know when we were last viewing we went into a few places were bidding started as we walked in through the front door. We walked straight out, but looked like a tac by landlords or estate agents praying on desperation.

Personally I don't bring a deposit with me on a viewing. If asked simply inform the LL that I have it ready to go, but I'm not going to bring it with me on the night of a viewing.

Desperation creeps in way to much, and in fairness the rental market is crazy the last while, but I still like to try keep an emotional disconnect so I don't jump at something. We had a few viewings of places and it was the last place we viewed we ended up taking, and being living happily in the last 18 months with no problems and a great LL.

I get why people are bringing deposits and references on the first viewing, assuming the walls arn't caving in then want to give the landlord some temptation to bite immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bring a cheque.

Walking around with €1,000-2,000 isn't appropriate. If they decline a cheque, consider walking away - they might not be above board.

Victor wrote: »
    Bring a cheque.

Walking around with €1,000-2,000 isn't appropriate. If they decline a cheque, consider walking away - they might not be above board.

It would be common enough for people to walk around with a good few thousand when buying a car. I've had 10k in cash going around with me for this reason. I never got the fear of carrying cash.

Once you are sure the person taking the money is the LL or a reputable agent I wouldn't have an issue having cash on me to hand over for a deposit, especially if it have me a better chance of getting the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement