Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Settle an argument - putting tea in dog food?

• 02-07-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one this, but bear with me. I got into an argument with a member of my family recently over their insistence on putting tea into their dog's food. The dog is young and I was told that this moistens the food for it and helps it to eat the food easier.

When I asked why not just sprinkle some water on the food to moisten it, I was told that tea was better.

I find this crazy, eccentric behaviour and said as much. I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that lots of dog owners engage in this practice. This was news to me, and I find it hard to believe.

While I'm willing to accept that giving tea itself to a dog is not harmful, I just don't see any benefit in adding tea INTO the food. It also makes quite a bad smell, especially in this heat.

Anyways, what do you think? Is this whacky behaviour, or are lots of dog owners doing this, unbeknownst to myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Caffeine can kill a dog in sufficient doses. It is not good for them, especially not twice daily.
    Gravy in water makes food just as tasty but to be honest if your dog isn't eating it, then you should switch to something they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

All our dogs get tea on their meals everyday. 2 dogs here are 14 and 15 and hasn't done them a bit of harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Caffeine is bad for dogs but the dog would need to consume 5 cups of tea (or about 2 cups of coffee) before caffeine levels would become life threatening ......... however even a half cup of tea can cause agitation in some dogs so it's best to avoid giving tea at all to your dog as there are no obvious benefits in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nope. Never heard of tea in the dog's food, and it's not good for them because of the caffeine. Nor do I believe it makes the food smell or taste better. I mean - would you pour tea all over your Sunday roast??? :eek:

I second giving the dog a drop of gravy to tempt him. Even that you have to go easy on, because of the salt content.

Either that or find something else more suitable to give him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Never heard of tea in the dog's food, and it's not good for them because of the caffeine. Nor do I believe it makes the food smell or taste better. I mean - would you pour tea all over your Sunday roast?
    Yeah, the idea of tea on mine or my dog's dinner sounds repulsive!!

What's the reasoning behind it? I've never heard that dogs are big tea drinkers, or that tea is good for them, so I must be missing something! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Ive seen a dog growl because it wasn't being given the left over tea in a mug. This dog liked one sugar.... In this case I think it was more for the sweetness than the tea but it was peculiar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Xcellor wrote: »
    Ive seen a dog growl because it wasn't being given the left over tea in a mug. This dog liked one sugar.... In this case I think it was more for the sweetness than the tea but it was peculiar...

Our dogs loved chocolate (one of the kids gave them some once) and they used to hound us (unintended pun) for chocolate whenever they saw one of us eating it ......... we don't feed them chocolate just because they want/like it as it's bad for them ......... they just don't know it's bad for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

My granny used to give her Pekingese dog tea. She thought the dog would like it since it was Chinese. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Never heard of giving a dog tea in its food - sounds like an old country persons tale/family tradition or something?!? (Im a country person!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Posy wrote: »
    Yeah, the idea of tea on mine or my dog's dinner sounds repulsive!!

What's the reasoning behind it? I've never heard that dogs are big tea drinkers, or that tea is good for them, so I must be missing something! :o

I once caught Rani helping herself from my mug, it's part of what gives me the idea she used to belong to an old person. It cured me from leaving my mug on the ground anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two dogs wouldn't touch tea, one has a serious reaction to milk so it's a no no anyway.

One cat likes coffee, but only if it has a little sugar, two sugars is too sweet. (I found this out as he would drink visitors coffee on them, but only those with less than two sugars, if it was to sweet he sat staring at it after tasting it)

The kitten I rescued off the road a few weeks back loves tea, but I think he's just young and after the milk. (I know, I never give our cats milk as its bad for them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We used add a little bit of gravy or some of whatever sauce was on our dinner and he loved it. Never heard of tea but small amounts cant do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Could be, as aonb said, an old country habit. (I'm from the country too ;) ) Some years back my mother's dog, Sam, used to be "treated" to a plate of milky tea and bread by a neighbour on a regular basis. Sam lapped it up, but on one occasion refused. The neighbour forgot the sugar! :-O

Sam became my dog after my mother's death in 2004, and as I didn't live close by my mother's, his regular tea treats stopped. He died in 2010 at the ripe old age of 13 and a bit, so I don't think the tea and bread did enormous damage. :-)

Advertisement