Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Fostering

• 02-07-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Can anyone give me some advice, I am emigrating for a while and I am looking to find a temporary home for my dog. It will be until at least January. Does anyone know a group/organisation which might help me find a foster family for my dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

You could possibly contact your local rescues/shelters. They *may* be able to help you in your search for a foster home, or at least give you pointers in how to go about looking. Also talk to the SPCA in your area.

If you trawl through Animal Rescues on Facebook you my find someone willing to help you out, there's even a volunteer transport group or two! Remember though, with a foster you would be responsible for food, bedding, toys, and most importantly all veterinary care. That is how fosters work. We take needy rescue animals into our homes, treat them as our own, love them and take care of them, but with no cost to us, except the emotional cost of loving a dog who will move on. The expenses are dealt with by the rescue we foster for.

Also, bear in mind the distress your pet will be caused by being handed over to a stranger, then left to settle in with them for months, and then be disrupted and distressed again when you return, and ask yourself if there isn't a way to bring him or her with you, or, in the alternative have a friend or family member step into the breech. This (U.S) non-commercial link relates to long term temporary foster and the reasons for it. It also has some other info that might be beneficial to you. http://fosterdogs.com/i-need-a-temporary-home-for-my-dog.html Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Meh, good foster homes are like gold-dust to rescue and are typically reserved for dogs in immediate danger of destruction, dogs who are very ill or dogs who are waiting to be adopted.

Your dog is none of the above and would be depriving a dog in need of a life-saving or life-changing chance.

What you need is to come to some arrangement with a home-boarder so your dog will live as part of the family rather than be stuck in kennels. Or perhaps you could put an ad up in your vets. Or scope out family and friends to see if they would take on your dog for the 6 or so months you will be away.

Family or friends or a home-boarder would be ideal though, you never quite know what you are getting into of you hand your dog over to strangers and there have been some horror stories. Although here is where a rescue may advise you in what to look out for when you are checking them out.

Advertisement