Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft rental scams?

Options
  • 02-07-2015 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

I'm supposed to be viewing a room in a houseshare this evening. The ad on daft has no photos, when I called the number listed I spoke to a lady, English is certainly not her first language. The address provided on the ad is just the street and area, no house name or number. When I asked for the address I was told she would meet me at the local supermarket, its only a few minutes walk away. Sounds kind of dodgy to me or is it a case of the lady in question being overly cautious and not inviting a strange man into her house?

Its been a while since I've had to look for property and although I've never come across any scams I'm sure there has to be some out there. If this sounds like the lead up to a scam or anybody has anything I should look out for I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are defo scams out there but they usually involve getting cash up front.

You will have the address when you get there but be cautious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whosthis wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be viewing a room in a houseshare this evening. The ad on daft has no photos, when I called the number listed I spoke to a lady, English is certainly not her first language. The address provided on the ad is just the street and area, no house name or number. When I asked for the address I was told she would meet me at the local supermarket, its only a few minutes walk away. Sounds kind of dodgy to me or is it a case of the lady in question being overly cautious and not inviting a strange man into her house?

Its been a while since I've had to look for property and although I've never come across any scams I'm sure there has to be some out there. If this sounds like the lead up to a scam or anybody has anything I should look out for I'd love to hear it.

I'd say she wants you on CCTV in case you are an ax murdered. It doesn't sound like a scam just someone not wanting a stranger to know where they live until they meet them in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just make sure you have a receipt for any money you hand over and get keys at the same time. The other scam that goes around is showing the same place to multiple people and getting multiple deposits before legging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The scams usually show some impossibly great looking place for buttons and are only let down by the fact that:
    1. The address given for this great 4 bed semi-D is "O'Connell Street".
    2. The picture turns out to have been sourced from a Florida condo sales website. Check if any plug outlets are visible. Not Irish = scam. Also reverse search the image on google images to find out where it was taken from [this is also a useful tip for dating websites ;-) ].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say she wants you on CCTV in case you are an ax murdered. It doesn't sound like a scam just someone not wanting a stranger to know where they live until they meet them in the flesh.

That's kinda what I was thinking, makes perfect sense from her side, just sounds a little bit odd from my side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

She might not have the authority to let rooms in the house if it is a council or voluntary authority house that they are paying practically no rent for.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    She might not have the authority to let rooms in the house if it is a council or voluntary authority house that they are paying practically no rent for.

I'll try and figure that out when I get there, the big problem with that might be her English.

Went to view it, lovely lady, no scam, the place was nice but, children......................lots and lots of children.

Advertisement