Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know nothing about wheels!!!!

Options
  • 02-07-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I am the current owner of a P3 with out of the box standard wheels attached. The world and his mother keep telling me that I need to get new wheels to 'finish' the bike, but I haven't a breeze about wheels...

So i'm looking for advice on what to buy! In theory the budget is about 2-2.5k. But i'm really looking for a value set of wheels, i'm a half decent triathlete but l wont be winning any races anytime soon on whatever wheels I get so spending money to shave 9 seconds off my time isn't really what im after. Willing to buy online or in the shop or even second hand online if that's where the value is..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I am the current owner of a P3 with out of the box standard wheels attached. The world and his mother keep telling me that I need to get new wheels to 'finish' the bike, but I haven't a breeze about wheels...

So i'm looking for advice on what to buy! In theory the budget is about 2-2.5k. But i'm really looking for a value set of wheels, i'm a half decent triathlete but l wont be winning any races anytime soon on whatever wheels I get so spending money to shave 9 seconds off my time isn't really what im after. Willing to buy online or in the shop or even second hand online if that's where the value is..

i have to ask..... if you are not fussed about shaving a few seconds off your time..... why not keep the stock wheels and the money ??

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

miller82 wrote: »
    i have to ask..... if you are not fussed about shaving a few seconds off your time..... why not keep the stock wheels and the money ??

I would like to take time , just i want to get the best spent euro to time cut off ratio I can! If that makes any sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're dead right, the bike doesn't look finished without some proper wheels, it's a lovely bike in the flesh and it deserves some nice hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

2.5k for wheels? I think would cover most wheelsets. If you can wait a few months they'll all be on sale. If you want a budget deep section wheelset try planetx.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels/tt-and-triathlon-wheels

rooneyjm wrote: »
    2.5k for wheels? I think would cover most wheelsets. If you can wait a few months they'll all be on sale. If you want a budget deep section wheelset try planetx.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels/tt-and-triathlon-wheels

Would it really be worth waiting the few months ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If your looking for a decent set of wheels you don't really have to spend the full 2.5k, check out FLO cycling and swiss side wheels. Both get decent reviews and seem to be fairly aero. Probably better deal on the swiss side at the moment with state of the euro versus the dollar for the FLO.

http://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php

http://www.swissside.com/shop/category/hadron-collection/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I have Flo wheels and love them. Lovely set of wheels.

A couple of things to keep in mind when buying wheels:

1. Some wheels perform better on different bikes. I believe Peter might be able to tell you what wheels are best suited to a P3.
    2. If your P3 has integrated brakes try to get the same braking surface as your training wheels. Otherwise changing the brake pads can be a nightmare - depending on the bike.
    3. As with 2 above, try to get wheels of a similar width so you don't have to adjust the brakes every time you swap between training and racing wheels.

Do you want tubs or clinchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Would it really be worth waiting the few months ?

Once the season is over the sales will start but its up to yourself. How many events do you have left?

pgibbo wrote: »
    I have Flo wheels and love them. Lovely set of wheels.

A couple of things to keep in mind when buying wheels:

1. Some wheels perform better on different bikes. I believe Peter might be able to tell you what wheels are best suited to a P3.
    2. If your P3 has integrated brakes try to get the same braking surface as your training wheels. Otherwise changing the brake pads can be a nightmare - depending on the bike.
    3. As with 2 above, try to get wheels of a similar width so you don't have to adjust the brakes every time you swap between training and racing wheels.

Do you want tubs or clinchers?

Was thinking Clinchers and going for Zipps 808 or 404. Have a bike to work scheme to use so may as well shop local and get Zipps. Are the 808's suitable for Irish weather or would I be better off with the 404's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Was thinking Clinchers and going for Zipps 808 or 404. Have a bike to work scheme to use so may as well shop local and get Zipps. Are the 808's suitable for Irish weather or would I be better off with the 404's?

404s too shallow. (have a set)
    808 front, 808+wheel cover, or disc on the back

• Advertisement

Going to drag this a bit off topic,
    404s too shallow.

@Tunney, how do 808's handle in the wind? I have a set of fulcrum equivalent of the 404 and find they can be a bit twitchy in the wind, probably more about my bike handling, but would 808's not be worse?

joey100 wrote: »

@Tunney, how do 808's handle in the wind? I have a set of fulcrum equivalent of the 404 and find they can be a bit twitchy in the wind, probably more about my bike handling, but would 808's not be worse?

I've never had an issue with 404s, 808s or disc. Even when I was close to your weight (64kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

to be honest bike position ( frame geometry) lenght of stem and choice of rear wheel ankle of fork would have an bigger effect than 404 or 808 front wheel difference.

to the op if you have the money the zipps are fine you want value for money hed or fastwheel forward the better option.(flos are out of you are bike to tri scheme) vison metrom also good if you spend all the money. bontrger aerolus would usually be a bit faster for slower people than the zipps . and if you are really really fast the narrow 3 spoke is still used by many pros for a reason. ( as narrowe rims are more aero at lower jaws where the really fast guys spned a lot of time )
    now you need to start to worry about tire tube with and which tyre
    enjoy.

tunney wrote: »
    I've never had an issue with 404s, 808s or disc. Even when I was close to your weight (64kg)

Really ? The guys in the shop seem to be pushing me 404s saying 808s aren't suitable for Irish weather. I would be fairly light myself (68kg) as well so was very worried about having to fight the bike in the wind :/

Really ? The guys in the shop seem to be pushing me 404s saying 808s aren't suitable for Irish weather. I would be fairly light myself (68kg) as well so was very worried about having to fight the bike in the wind :/

Nope, fine. Peters comments on stem and frame are more important!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

peter kern wrote: »
    hed or fastwheel forward the better option

Recommend any resellers/agents for these?

Pretty sure base2race, wheelworx and Humphries in Finglas can get FastForward wheels in. Was looking at the disc earlier in the year, these shops all said they could get it in. Buying a house and getting married stopped any chance of buying one. Only really dealt with Base2Race out of them and find them very good.

re the FF's, are the DT240 hubs worth the extra €200? Anyone have issues with the standard FF hubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

viperlogic wrote: »
    Recommend any resellers/agents for these?

Pretty certain the lads stock FFWD wheels, very good to deal with and a cycling store run by cyclists!
    http://thebikestation.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Pretty certain the lads stock FFWD wheels, very good to deal with and a cycling store run by cyclists!
    http://thebikestation.ie/

Great shop. Run by gentlemen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If your looking for a decent set of wheels you don't really have to spend the full 2.5k, check out FLO cycling and swiss side wheels. Both get decent reviews and seem to be fairly aero. Probably better deal on the swiss side at the moment with state of the euro versus the dollar for the FLO.

http://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php

http://www.swissside.com/shop/category/hadron-collection/

thought you might be interested in this Joey, not sure if you had seen it

http://www.swissside.com/swiss-side-hadron-project-update-23/

Was about to push the button to get F6R's but then came across Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS's for sale for €630 on Rose Bikes that I couldn't turn down. Delighted with them, and even blew away my PB on our clubs TT last night

Got a link Viper? Can only find Carbone SLS hoops for 799 there.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Got a link Viper? Can only find Carbone SLS hoops for 799 there.

They are not listed now as prob sold very fast. They were last years model and had green graphics, hence the cheaper price I guess. Picked up non-green graphics on ebay for 27e as green dont suit my vain bike!

Nice one, I see last year's yellow graphic jobbies are also just sold out @ 559 - pity.

[Edit - SL not SLS hoops]

Thanks for all the advice gentleman...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Thanks for all the advice gentleman...

Looks class. There hardly the set that was on sale in wheelworks this morning.

Looks class. There hardly the set that was on sale in wheelworks this morning.

Nope how much where they in wheelworks as a matter of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Nope how much where they in wheelworks as a matter of interest ?

Used set on sale for €500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement