Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn infested with this weed

Options
  • 02-07-2015 3:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Hope somebody can help.

We built a new house three years ago, had what was supposed to be a proper job done on laying a lawn two years ago, but almost from day one it's been infested with this type of weed. I'm not sure what it is - googling leads me to believe it might be a type of plantain - just wondering if somebody might be able to identify it properly and recommend a good spray to use on it?

Please don't say to just go and dig them up! It's quite a large lawn of more than three quarters of an acre and there are literally thousands of these things there - I don't have a week or month to spare!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Broadleaf plantain. I would use a pesticide in a small sprayer with a homemade hood (collar and neck of a drinks bottle) to zap each plant. Complete pain but it would be effective. Check for the little seedhead that will start appearing- you want to hit them before they develop these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Any broad leaf weed killer will do a job on these guys.
    My OH uses broad leaf weed killer on our lawn for docks, buttercup + daisies in early spring, mid summer + maybe later on if weeds are still budding.
    He buys this stuff in local agri shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Thanks for the help, folks.

Any recommendations on any particular weed killer?

Also, because of the size of the place, I was hoping to get round it with the help of one of the neighbours, who has a sprayer contraption on the back of a quad bike. To be honest, I was half looking forward to just getting a go on the quad bike anyway! But I suppose it would be more effective to just take the advice above and slowly and painstakingly get round them all individually with a small sprayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, folks.

Any recommendations on any particular weed killer?

Also, because of the size of the place, I was hoping to get round it with the help of one of the neighbours, who has a sprayer contraption on the back of a quad bike. To be honest, I was half looking forward to just getting a go on the quad bike anyway! But I suppose it would be more effective to just take the advice above and slowly and painstakingly get round them all individually with a small sprayer?

I've used DP50 to spray for dandelions, daisies, buttercup and those broad leaves like you have, even thistles and dock leaves. I just sprayed all the lawn and was fine to do it so if you have a quad you could use, I'd borrow that, especially if your lawn is big. The procedure was to cut grass, leave for 4days, spray, leave for 4days and cut. Worked well for me. Hope that helps

Advertisement