Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny red ant on window cills and footpaths around house

Options
  • 02-07-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Just wondering how common are little tiny red ant on people's window cills and on their footpaths around their house. We seem to have quite a lot of them!

Do people try get rid of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

How many is a lot? I see them (usually on white windowsills!) during the summer, but they've never seemed (to me) to be invasive. We may be talking about different insects, but sounds like the same. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure they're harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Are they red spider mites

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

clover mites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yes, most likely clover mites, mostly harmless except in large infestations. Red spider mites are very hard to see and are not actually red.

An organic recipe I was given for mites is; mix one half cup of buttermilk with four cups wheat flour and add to five gallons of water, or in whatever fraction or multiple suits you.

Advertisement