Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can you give an example of poor punctuation, or spelling?

Ah man not on here please lol. All he has to do is copy and paste any of my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Spelling and punctuation has taken a nose dive in this thread.

It's painful to read at times.

Wel dats, a load of noncence for a starte

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

akelly02 wrote: »
    i have seen the titanic turning quicker than Jones there

How old are you? :pac::pac::pac:

adox wrote: »

Lol

adox wrote: »

tooshay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

U ok hun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Considering Shaktar have sold Douglas Costa and Luiz Adriano would they still be a team to fear ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

To answer your question jayo on why I'd rather Higuain over benteke is he scored that amount of goals in still the best defensive league.

I don't see English league as a superior tougher league, the tactics are different.

zerks wrote: »
    U ok hun?

Grand here sahn. Sum nice day tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I thought De Gea wouldn't move to Real based on his Athletico stuff, but then learnt he was only at the club for a short while, so isn't really part of the club if you get me. Kinda like Sterling, where people expected him to owe some form of allegiance to that club.

I thought De Gea came up as a kid through Athletico, but that wasn't the case.

I've said it before but worth re-iterating, I think if we manage to hold onto him, there is every chance he will realise where he is, and stick with us longer.

While I rate Benitez as a good manager, I think he is going to have problems at Madrid, and I see Barca maintaining a strange hold there for another two years (assuming no massive implosions). Players think short term. And if things arn't going well in that short term, it doesn't look as good a prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

This thread is a doggy dog world, for all intensive porpoises, let's mustard up the strenght to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Adamocovic wrote: »
    How old are you? :pac::pac::pac:

115 going on 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so, based on current squad and others, what are peoples expectatins for the season?

i think we would push for the title, but fall short finishing 2nd or 3rd. Champions league 1/4 final and win one cup.

so, based on current squad and others, what are peoples expectatins for the season?

i think we would push for the title, but fall short finishing 2nd or 3rd. Champions league 1/4 final and win one cup.

Honestly see us being able to compete for the title even given the current squad and no additions. I know additions will help our chances but if the players hit some good form and morale we definitely have the talent to compete for it. But of course as a United fan who has just seen the arrival of Schweinsteiger perhaps I am a little over optimistic and biased :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As it stands I dont think we will win the league next season. Hang to to De Gea and sign at least one more CB and it may be possible but I`d be looking at the 2016-17 season as the best chance of a real title challenge.

IF De Gea goes I would give us very little chance of winning the league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This thread is a doggy dog world

Doggy dog world? Like Snoop Doggy Dog?

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

hard to say, if Chelsea got the injuries we did last season and we signed a solid centre back and striker I would expect us to win the league to be honest or challenge right to the very end.

Champions league all depends on who you get, could easily reach a final depending on form and a bit of luck along the way.

Mates were just asking this between us.

I'd be looking for a serious title challenege, second at worst. Progress through last sixteen of CL, and ideally win one cup, but at a minimum a good showing in the Fa Cup.

Feel that while Van Gaal was rightly supported last season and recognised for getting the team back into the top 4, being highly competitive against rivals, there was some issues that needed addressing.

I'm hoping performances get better and more consistent and the team regains some of its frightening demenour. Can't be having another year of bottom half sides coming to OT and being all full of confidence.

I'd say with the financial support Van Gaal has received, the changes to pre-season, and Woodward getting some key signings in early, excusing some unforseen disaster, there is no excuse for a competitive season.

While many said Chelsea were miles ahead last season, I think that was more down to us being so behind the curve. Mourinho tends to trust a core component of his squad and burns them out a little bit. Interesting to see how he moves in the transfer market this summer. But I don't think he will get away with that tactic again next season. Chelsea noticably fell off the pace second half of last season, and its a risky game playing that defensively(as much as people claim him genius for it).

Chelsea built their steam from day one, and what we have done so far all points to Van Gaal wanting to get off to a serious start of stringing wins together. If that happens the gap could be significantly closer, and I think Mourinhos squad management ability might get a little exposed(although that is all reliant on other teams exploiting that, which isn't always reliable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

JamboMac wrote: »
    To answer your question jayo on why I'd rather Higuain over benteke is he scored that amount of goals in still the best defensive league.

I don't see English league as a superior tougher league, the tactics are different.

I dunno if you watch Italian football but it's one of the best for goals. I dont watch loads, but its good for the bets. The days of Italian football being drab and defensive are over, there was some great defenders and defensive units in that league for the 90s and early 00s however it's nowhere near as good anymore

Edit: Italian league had more goals than any of the other top leagues beating England by 50 goals

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/1024-goals--serie-a-was-the-highest-scoring-league-in-europe-this-season-090941358.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Chelsea will win the league at a canter imo, United and Arsenal battling for second and City a distant 4th.

spurs, pool, shampton 5-7 in no particular order.

League Cup QF, FA Cup Semi and CL Quarter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    I thought De Gea wouldn't move to Real based on his Athletico stuff, but then learnt he was only at the club for a short while, so isn't really part of the club if you get me. Kinda like Sterling, where people expected him to owe some form of allegiance to that club.

I thought De Gea came up as a kid through Athletico, but that wasn't the case.

I've said it before but worth re-iterating, I think if we manage to hold onto him, there is every chance he will realise where he is, and stick with us longer.

While I rate Benitez as a good manager, I think he is going to have problems at Madrid, and I see Barca maintaining a strange hold there for another two years (assuming no massive implosions). Players think short term. And if things arn't going well in that short term, it doesn't look as good a prospect.

??
    Born in Madrid, he started his career aged 13 with Atlético Madrid and rose through the academy system at the club before making his senior debut in 2009. After being made Atlético's first-choice goalkeeper, he helped the team win both the UEFA Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup in 2010. His performances attracted the attention of Manchester United, whom he joined in June 2011 for £17.8 million, a British record for a goalkeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_de_Gea

Just a quick search mate last year the premier league goals scored average per gsme was 2.57 with a total of 975.
    italian league average was 2.69 with a total of 1024.

Now you telling me that italian league is harder to score in then the premier league.

If your going to shout off something like that just do some proper research to back it up it only took me 2 mins to prove you wrong same.

This is not 90s. Serie A averages most goals in the league than La Liga, PL and Bundesliga.

Serie A being strong defensively is a myth now a days. Apart from Juve and to an extent Roma, all other teams are just average and poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I'd have to agree with you there homerjay . If the season began now with the current squad I think it would be 2nd or 3rd in Prem and reach the latter stages(ie quarter finals) in the rest of comps and win one the cups !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Bentekes goal record for a poor team is not to be sniffed at

Chelsea will win the league at a canter imo

would mean our season is a failure then IMO. no way we can even contemplate not pushing them all the way.

if we can keep most of our players fit, i think we can at least push them. injuries however can f*ck us over, as our back up players are not up to the level of other clubs if we have injurys like last season.

my ultimate nightmare is seeing Mcnair, Blackett in defence this season, followed by Daley Blind and/or Rooney in midfield.

if we can keep most of our players fit,

yeah, no.

would mean our season is a failure then IMO. no way we can even contemplate not pushing them all the way.

if we can keep most of our players fit, i think we can at least push them. injuries however can f*ck us over, as our back up players are not up to the level of other clubs if we have injurys like last season.

my ultimate nightmare is seeing Mcnair, Blackett in defence this season, followed by Daley Blind and/or Rooney in midfield.

What's wrong with Blind in the midfield? I think he can do a decent job as DM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Doggy dog world? Like Snoop Doggy Dog?

LOL

I always thought it was it's a "dog eat dog world"

ianob7 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you there homerjay . If the season began now with the current squad I think it would be 2nd or 3rd in Prem and reach the latter stages(ie quarter finals) in the rest of comps and win one the cups !!

I don't think Utd can push for the title without a striker being signed so based on that assumption then yeah that's probably fair.

Since Evans is going I'm assuming a centre back will be signed before the end of the window.

I do think the four signings so far are really top class, best business Utd have done for a while. Admittedly I didn't know much about him but I think Darmian will prove a very astute signing.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just a quick search mate last year the premier league goals scored average per gsme was 2.57 with a total of 975.
    italian league average was 2.69 with a total of 1024.

Now you telling me that italian league is harder to score in then the premier league.

If your going to shout off something like that just do some proper research to back it up it only took me 2 mins to prove you wrong same.

Teams could be more evenly matched or strikers in England aren't as good at putting away chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

This thread is a doggy dog world, for all intensive porpoises, let's mustard up the strenght to move on.

Two rite well shed,

Teams could be more evenly matched or strikers in England aren't as good at putting away chances.

Or jambo could be talking out of his ass again :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    That's the joke.

That's the joke.

2d8.gif

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What's wrong with Blind in the midfield? I think he can do a decent job as DM.

he is very very average in there - he just passes 90 balls left and right with no pace. take a look at our games when he was in CM last season...it wasnt just a case that Carrick was missing, it was who replaced him.

its a slight upgrade on Cleverly.

he is very very average in there - he just passes 90 balls left and right with no pace. take a look at our games when he was in CM last season...it wasnt just a case that Carrick was missing, it was who replaced him.

its a slight upgrade on Cleverly.

Fair enough, I'll admit I can't really remember too much of his performances for us last year. Not sure why. I remember some mistakes he made and some decent preformances but not an awful lot so can't comment too much.

Just wouldn't call it a nightmare for him to be DM, not our best option but I'd still think would be a good back up.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or jambo could be talking out of his ass again :):):)

So if benteke is a god why isn't he a big name around the world?

Why did he end up at Liverpool and not some big European club, possibly they don't rate him and that their seems to be a hype bubble in England where if a player can score goals their he's the greatest thing ever.

Their tends to be a massive gap between the top 8 in England and the rest.

That's the joke.

Ah , I thought he was pissing up the wong tree. Anyways....

that leads me to my next question.

Wil the game be stramed tonight. I always get hot under the collar looking for links.

Drives me barking mad

IF anyone knows the answer that would be crate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

What are you on about now?

Why did he end up at Liverpool and not some big European club, possibly they don't rate him and that their seems to be a hype bubble in England where if a player can score goals their he's the greatest thing ever.

Because apart from Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG other teams can't match English team's asking price. There is no way any team in the world will pay 27Million pounds for Shaw, 32.5Million for Benteke. When you convert it to Euros, it looks even worse.

It's "Doggy Dog World" on the Snoop album of the early 90s.

I've actually just realised it was a pun all along. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

If Higuain was so great how did he end up at Napoli after Real. I actually don't really have an opinion on who is better at the moment but you made a point that was fairly disproven and now your moving the goalposts.

Higuain is more established at the moment but has always played for a top 3 or 4 team in Napoli/Real

Benteke has done really well with relegation fodder Villa. Also has more potential to grow.

Both arguments are valid but trying to justify your opinion based on Higuain playing in a more defensive league is beyond ridiculous

It's "Doggy Dog World" on the Snoop album of the early 90s.

I've actually just realised it was a pun all along. :o

im just simple, dont mind me

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I was under the impression that was the case, but then read elsewhere that the wikipedia article was wrong, and has somehow spawned this myth he was there from being a kid.

To be honest I don't know who to believe. Either or the indication seems to be he has **** all allegiance to Athletico.

Sure I was steadfast with how he wouldn't leave, as it would be a massive thing for an Athletico player who came through the ranks to go to Real. But kept getting told its no big deal because he only had like 2 years in the setup before he hit the first team.

Literally don't know what to believe to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

duffman13 wrote: »
    If Higuain was so great how did he end up at Napoli after Real. I actually don't really have an opinion on who is better at the moment but you made a point that was fairly disproven and now your moving the goalposts.

Higuain is more established at the moment but has always played for a top 3 or 4 team in Napoli/Real

Benteke has done really well with relegation fodder Villa. Also has more potential to grow.

Both arguments are valid but trying to justify your opinion based on Higuain playing in a more defensive league is beyond ridiculous

I always struggle with the big name so he must be big player at big team. Oh hes not famous? He must be crap.

I remember in '03 we missed out on the big name Ronaldinho from PSG and instead signed a lesser known kid called Cristiano Ronaldo from Sporting. Absolute disaster. We also signed that horrible goalie van der Sar from Fulham instead of Cassilas from mighty Madrid. No lesser club is ever worth buying from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Impossible to tell how we will do next season but you would have to think top 4 is an absolute certainty considering the players we have added along with whatever centre half we get.

Best case scenario, the team click straight away, our injuries aren't too devastating and we make a challenge for the title.

I'd say if LVG only manages 4th next season he will come under serious pressure considering the level of investment in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a tenner on United to win the league at 9/2.

Irrespective of what De Gea/United chooses to do, we will be stronger defensively, when we get the signing(s) in.
    We will have a right back who can defend, attack and score goals.
    We have a much stronger midfield.
    We have Depay who has pace and strength, but he looks like he could be prolific in front of goal.
    We are supposedly going for a world class player upfront, I assume on the right side of a front three. So we would have better options Mata/new signing for that position.

United will challenge for the title.
    Depending on qualification for group stages, I could see us doing well in the CL. Possibility of winning a cup - FA/Capital one.

duffman13 wrote: »

Lots of teams which we judge smaller in Italy manage to have good players, under that logic Di Maria must be a bad player since he left Madrid.

Madrid tend to like to get new toys and he did spend 6 years their.

Quandary wrote: »
    Impossible to tell how we will do next season but you would have to think top 4 is an absolute certainty considering the players we have added along with whatever centre half we get.

Best case scenario, the team click straight away, our injuries aren't too devastating and we make a challenge for the title.

I'd say if LVG only manages 4th next season he will come under serious pressure considering the level of investment in the team.

True but he will then just have one year left on his contract won't he? I'm not saying he has a free season but if he even gets 4th place is there any point of sacking him rather than seeing out his last year and then letting Giggs take over like planned?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement