Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jayo26 wrote: »
    But villa cant not sell to pool as they have met his release clause they have no option not to.
    Liverpool owner John Henry has admitted striker Luis Suarez had a £40m buy-out clause in his previous contract but that the club refused to sell anyway...
    "Arsenal offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause," said Henry.
    "Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

the reality is Ferguson left us with a team consisting of 5-6 players about to hit 30 or well past it, with another group of squad players in a similar story.

add in a group of horrifically average players and a gaping hold in midfield that he neglected for 5 or 6 years and its very pityful reading for the club.

To be honest with hindsight it appears that either the club totally misread the Fergie factor regarding our squad, as there was flags being raised loud and clear during that last title, and even before it.

That Gill made a resounding press conference about how the club had a squad that could compete for years, supplemented by the youth system, and they didn't want someone to come in and tear the squad apart, showed how poorly they managed and read the situation before they left, and how they landed a bum deal on Moyes and Woodward, where the club was not ready to make the investment in players Moyes flagged quickly upon his arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RayCun wrote: »

No suarez seemingly never had a buy out clause he had a clause saying they had to inform suarez of any offer over 40 million or something along that line but it wasnt a buy out clause. But if im wrong which i usually am on these things im open to correction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RayCun wrote: »

The difference is that Liverpool didn't want to sell Suarez. Villa are willing to sell Benteke as along as the release clause is met. They can't tell him he's not going to Liverpool but can go to anyone else who meets the clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

That looks or feels very narrow im not sure why though.

Not sure how the dirt road footballer, Benteke will do at liverpool

on paper yea, I only did the front 5. countinho and firmino can play wide and they will also have width from Clyne and Moreno.

• Advertisement

we didn't put a bid in for Benteke, anyone think we might be going to sign Benzema??

don't forget Ed Woodward met Benzema's agent in London a few weeks ago.

Maybe we are bidding on Ramos, knowing we are going to sign Otamendi and then Madrid agree to sell us Benzema instead of Ramos?

Benzema and Otamendi would be unreal

The difference is that Liverpool didn't want to sell Suarez. Villa are willing to sell Benteke as along as the release clause is met. They can't tell him he's not going to Liverpool but can go to anyone else who meets the clause.

Yes but surely if suarez had a release clause then they had to sell him to arsenal if they wanted to or not? I understood it that he had some sort of clause but it wasnt a release clause.

bangkok wrote: »
    we didn't put a bid in for Benteke, anyone think we might be going to sign Benzema??

don't forget Ed Woodward met Benzema's agent in London a few weeks ago.

Maybe we are bidding on Ramos, knowing we are going to sign Otamendi and then Madrid agree to sell us Benzema instead of Ramos?

Benzema and Otamendi would be unreal

Yeh id love that too, I rate benzema he is more adaptable then most strikers and has a good eye for goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TheDoc wrote: »
    To be honest with hindsight it appears that either the club totally misread the Fergie factor regarding our squad, as there was flags being raised loud and clear during that last title, and even before it.

That Gill made a resounding press conference about how the club had a squad that could compete for years, supplemented by the youth system

I recall a few posters here deriding me when I said that title winning team was the worst Utd team in over 15-20 years.

Some people were adamant it was the strongest Utd squad of all time .

Save for a handful of excellent players playing at their peak, the rest of that squad was mainly average players or top players on the decline.
    I dont think any other manager could have won the league with such a poor team,its a testament to Fergusons greatness that he won that league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

other teams were rubbish too

• Advertisement

I recall a few posters here deriding me when I said that title winning team was the worst Utd team in over 15-20 years.

Save for a handful of excellent players playing at their peak, the rest of that squad was mainly average players or top players on the decline.
    I dont think any other manager could have won the league with such a poor team,its a testament to Fergusons greatness that he won that league.

Rvp made that team look good it wasnt even close to the best united team city were terrible thst year and chelsea were non existant and we came back t9 win so many games at the death and fergie helped too.

de gea

Rafael
    vidic
    fedinand
    evra

Valencia
    carrick
    scholes
    giggs

rooney
    van persie

how could you call that a bad team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The lack of quality in Fergies last squad is being greatly exaggerated on here.
    That squad was at least good enough for top 4 the following season under a stronger manager.

The midfield was neglected but overall it was an excellent squad and ultimately the club only have themselves to blame for such a big rebuilding job being needed, through poor choices post Fergie and indecisiveness also. It only takes a couple of things for a kingdom to fall, it doesnt follow that the kingdom was never really that strong in the first place.

de gea

Rafael
    vidic
    fedinand
    evra

Valencia
    carrick
    scholes
    giggs

rooney
    van persie

how could you call that a bad team?

If they were all in their prime it would of been a fantastic team but vidic,ferdinand,scholes and giggs were past it and valencia was pretty poor that season i think. Rooney wasnt great either coming near the end of it as he was after falling out with manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Some people were adamant it was the strongest Utd squad of all time.

Can you quote 3 credible regular posters who said that the 2012/13 squad was the strongest of all time? Considering the 2008 CL winners including Ronaldo, Tevez, etc and the 1999 Treble team, I doubt many would have been of this opinion.

I also don't think the 2012/13 squad was the weakest over the last 15-20 years. The truth as always, lies somewhere in the middle.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If they were all in their prime it would of been a fantastic team but vidic,ferdinand,scholes and giggs were past it and valencia was pretty poor that season i think. Rooney wasnt great either coming near the end of it as he was after falling out with manager.

past it fitness wise yes but you never lose your skill/football brain.

they were good enough to win the games they needed to win and then other players like Hernandez, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Cleverly, Kagawa, Anderson, nani, Welbeck all played other games when called upon. It was a very good squad, but the manager was so good and that was the difference

past it fitness wise yes but you never lose your skill/football brain.

they were good enough to win the games they needed to win and then other players like Hernandez, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Cleverly, Kagawa, Anderson, nani, Welbeck all played other games when called upon. It was a very good squad, but the manager was so good and that was the difference

Yeh i agree with you on that even still seen scholes play the odd charity game he still stands out on the pitch,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm not exactly blown away by the signings so far but I'll be happy when we sign a quality CB and GK.

It will happen and it will be done efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That's James Wilson isn't it?

552B9296513B4D658EE0B9BBDCE025D9.ashx?mw=500

Compared to how he was at the last season.

25E8480C00000578-3073548-image-a-89_1431085526157.jpg

Korat wrote: »
    I'm not exactly blown away by the signings so far but I'll be happy when we sign a quality CB and GK.

It will happen and it will be done efficiently.

Ok maybe this will help you mate.

Think back this time two year ago our centrsl midfield consisted of tom cleverley and anderson we didnt have many options on the wings apart from nani and valencia we had next to no options as a number 10 other then rooney.

Now we have schweinsteiger we have schneiderlin we have herrera we have mata we have depay we have di maria?????? Not every position is fixed but we cant go buyin 11 players in one wondow it is a PROSESH and a PROSESH takes time.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's James Wilson isn't it?

552B9296513B4D658EE0B9BBDCE025D9.ashx?mw=500

Compared to how he was at the last season.

25E8480C00000578-3073548-image-a-89_1431085526157.jpg

He has been hanging out with depay by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Posted by xenji on the humor thread top quality

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I don't see much of a difference tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Wilson's been on some special gym programme for the last few months apparently. Hopefully it should help with all those niggily injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Fenix wrote: »

Between what?

Awks. Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can't find it now but I thought I read somewhere that Wilson broke a record in the gym set by Rooney.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I can't find it now but I thought I read somewhere that Wilson broke a record in the gym set by Rooney.

Surely wilson didnt sleep with that many of the fitness instructors?

I thought his calf muscles were clear cut. I think Andy Mitten said he broke numerous records on lifting weights with leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I thought his calf muscles were clear cut. I think Andy Mitten said he broke numerous records on lifting weights with leg.

Thank you! I couldn't find the article about it but now I did. Glad I wasn't imagining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I see Real Madrid have signed a keeper. I hope that means DDG is staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

The granny he did was 71

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

What how many grannies he cpould throw down with in the gym....

atta boi James....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I see Real Madrid have signed a keeper. I hope that means DDG is staying.

I'd be very philosophical about that now .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

https://twitter.com/Cantona_20/status/622070410587320320

Daley Blind is like a fella you would see on Home and Away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

indeed...this was the first thing that came to mind when i seen the reference.

11259813_383625975169184_1496372843_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

There is pretty much no difference in his physique in those two pictures?

We can't even see his calf muscles in the game pic so it's hard to compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Can't wait for the game tonight, LVG is going to play 2 different teams each half. 4AM KO Irish time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Bastian Schweinsteiger: "Bayern Munich is a big club but Manchester United is bigger."

Stahp it :P

Bastian Schweinsteiger: "Bayern Munich is a big club but Manchester United is bigger."

Stahp it :P

https://twitter.com/BSchweinsteiger/status/622087656395153408

• Advertisement

Eid Mubarak to all Muslim Red Devils!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Can't wait for the game tonight, LVG is going to play 2 different teams each half. 4AM KO Irish time

Have to wonder how beneficial it is to be playing matches in a time zone 12 hours or so different to what they are used to. Still I'll get up to watch it at a more manageable 6am for me

CKIED9WUkAAdurG.jpg

I want everyone in this picture to have a big big season next season. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've bad news for you lads....

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/622089742071537666

I can't believe it, gutted i am!

CKIED9WUkAAdurG.jpg

I want everyone in this picture to have a big big season next season. :)

I'm hoping they have a big season this season to be honest.

I've bad news for you lads....

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/622090644652212224

I can't believe it, gutted i am!

Woodward is such a G. Good news that we are not feeding R.Madrid. We need to start competing with the likes of them and barca in europe so we are not doing ourself any good by strengthening their weak spot without strengthening ours

I'm hoping they have a big season this season to be honest.

Stop

Just a bit of banter:

Delph 6 days ago: "I'm not leaving. I can't wait to start the season & captain this great club"

Today: City medical.

Stop

NO! YOU STOP!

NO! YOU STOP!

ok.........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement