Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

So frustrating that Real are going to get possibly the best goalkeeper in world for nothing next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

EF wrote: »
    Have to wonder how beneficial it is to be playing matches in a time zone 12 hours or so different to what they are used to. Still I'll get up to watch it at a more manageable 6am for me

ehhhhhhhhhh. Not beneficial to us or them?

Because it will be 8pm over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've bad news for you lads....

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/622089742071537666

I can't believe it, gutted i am!

They are like one of those parody accounts at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

dubmick wrote: »
    So frustrating that Real are going to get possibly the best goalkeeper in world for nothing next year

A lot can happen and change in a years time. Who knows. Maybe we will woop R.Madrid's ass in the Champions League, the R.Madrid fans boo their own players and our away fans in the Bernabeu are the loudest in the building cheering our team on. Maybe De Gea will think twice about a move then.

But then his girlfriend steps in......:o

dubmick wrote: »

Tbh, I'd take that option now and worry about it more, nearer the time.

There's no guarentee he will still be a Utd player at the end of this window. That's the first step in this never ending saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

id love to see a midfield tonight of swein , sneiderlin and herrera. and a front 3 of januzaj, memphis and wilson. be nice to see them playing at the same time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Came on to say.

You know, I remember a time when if Sky broke out the yellow bar, on Sky News or Sky Sports, you knew **** was going down. It was something that sent a shiver down your spine. Now though....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33568804
    Manchester United are prepared to lose more than £25m and let goalkeeper David De Gea leave for free next summer rather than give in to Real Madrid.
    The 24-year-old will only be sold to the Spanish giants as part of a swap deal, with defender Sergio Ramos, 29, joining United.
    The club see Real as acting "like bullies" and, with their own revenue soaring, are intent on "slugging it out" with Real for the best players.
    De Gea is Real's main summer target.

United are going to war with Real madrid...for the best players.

So at least two players is Otamendi and someone up front IMO. Then more if this DDG/Ramos saga eds up with players changing clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    id love to see a midfield tonight of swein , sneiderlin and herrera. and a front 3 of januzaj, memphis and wilson. be nice to see them playing at the same time

Januzaj hasn't shown anything in long over a year that would make me think he'll be a success at United.

• Advertisement

The more i think about it the more it pisses me off. Was chatting with some mates and we predicted the attacking line up of United and all of them include the likes of Di Maria, Depay, and even Mata on the wing. Even in this thread, I don't see ASHLEY YOUNG'S name mentioned too often in line ups. He had a cracker of a season and deserves the wing spot. Although Depay and Di Maria are bigger names, Young deserves his spot and LVG knows this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

adnan is good. just needs to learn how to retain the ball better

Liam O wrote: »
    Januzaj hasn't shown anything in long over a year that would make me think he'll be a success at United.

but maybe that will change in this pre-season tour. He is only 20 years old. Can still prove and offer a lot

i know that, he should of never got the number 11 jersey either. would still be nice to see him start a new season well though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The more i think about it the more it pisses me off. Was chatting with some mates and we predicted the attacking line up of United and all of them include the likes of Di Maria, Depay, and even Mata on the wing. Even in this thread, I don't see ASHLEY YOUNG'S name mentioned too often in line ups. He had a cracker of a season and deserves the wing spot. Although Depay and Di Maria are bigger names, Young deserves his spot and LVG knows this

You what mate???

He was ok, he did a job but he isnt the answer for the future either. not going to win the league with him starting every game

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    You what mate???

ya want sum

ya want sum

Bring it on......

Whats wrong woth them sky scources these days??? They are only now saying de gea will only be sold to madrid if ramos is part of the deal????????? Come on even goal.com had that weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He earned himself a bit of respect and a squad place, he'd have been out on his ear this summer if he hadn't performed as he did last year. He'll never be capable of offering what the likes of Di Maria can at his best though.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Whats wrong woth them sky scources these days??? They are only now saying de gea will only be sold to madrid if ramos is part of the deal????????? Come on even goal.com had that weeks ago.

These days , all SKy Sources mean is Jim WHite has asked arry rednap for a story.

thats who the source is.

• Advertisement

What other winger at a top team scored 2 goals and got 5 assists in 26 appearances had a cracker of a season? I realise he was playing LWB for part of it but he was still getting into great positions and doing nothing. He had a really excellent game against City and was good against Liverpool but other than that it's same old terrible cross after terrible cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Football journalism must be the biggest racket going.

Fellas getting paid to go to football matches and then asking questions like "Are you excited to be at your new club?" or "Are you disappointed with the loss?" along with nonsense like that tweet above.

Given the BBC too have made the DDG/Ramos story as something worth reporting indicates that maybe they were given an update on the situation, a bit like how Real Madrid use Marca to give their version of a story.

The the BBC also go on to say how United are in a much stronger position financially than Real Madrid, due to the TV money in Spain being better distributed, RM being stuck in long term commercial deals paying far less than what United get, and RM's high wage bill.

One would get the impression United are using the media to tell RM to move over.

If Chelsea are in for Stones United should be right behind them.

What other winger at a top team scored 2 goals and got 5 assists in 26 appearances had a cracker of a season? I realise he was playing LWB for part of it but he was still getting into great positions and doing nothing. He had a really excellent game against City and was good against Liverpool but other than that it's same old terrible cross after terrible cross.

In fairness to Young, he did stop a goal on the line which gave us a valuable win, not sure which game.

Trow Evans and Cash at them, yes please

Id be jumping the que if i was ed and telling the people standing behind to go fek off. That chap has a serious future.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Given the BBC too have made the DDG/Ramos story as something worth reporting indicates that maybe they were given an update on the situation, a bit like how Real Madrid use Marca to give their version of a story.

The the BBC also go on to say how United are in a much stronger position financially than Real Madrid, due to the TV money in Spain being better distributed, RM being stuck in long term commercial deals paying far less than what United get, and RM's high wage bill.

One would get the impression United are using the media to tell RM to move over.

Or they could just outright tell them, which I'm sure they have.

Ian Ladyman says in the Daily mail It is understood that the Ramos deal could yet happen and that United haven't given up. However if it doesn't go ahead then De Gea will simply head to the Bernabeu next summer on a free transfer when his current United contract expires.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3165562/Manchester-United-reject-bids-David-Gea-unless-Real-Madrid-let-sign-Sergio-Ramos-summer.html#ixzz3gAqP5gX2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I put it as a win/win for United whatever outcome, Ramos just has to continue to refuse to sign a contract and we get him cheaper next year as RM will want the money, since they are becoming poorer than United...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think he's saying this could be posturing, not just over the players, but over club stature. Which is not completely beyond the pale.

• Advertisement

I am sure they have too.

Just appears United have brought the media into it, given all the media outlets that are running with the story.

Benetiz says he thinks Ramos is staying, United then with stories of Ramos still being on the table if RM want De Gea.

We might get weeks out of this will they/won't they drama...well the media hopes so anyway.

I think he's saying this could be posturing, not just over the players, but over club stature. Which is not completely beyond the pale.

Yeah, if United want to go head to head with Madrid for the best players, then United can't afford to have RM think they can simply get that best players off United like it was Spurs or someother club which is smaller in stature.
    We are at an interesting period especially with free cash flow expected to reach anything from $300 million to $450 million in the next 5 years. Well that was the argument put across on CNBC about United, and the club to grow in value to $6 billion.

United are coming for you Real Madrid, United being the best supported and revenues set to soar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

hopefully a few more paint sponsorships as well

(Stealing this from various sources on Twitter).

PlazaDeportiva reporting that Nicolás Otamendi is willing to give up a chunk of his wages to secure a move to Manchester United. Plaza state that Otamendi made it clear to his agent, Eugenio López, that as soon as La Liga finished he wanted a move to United sorted. This is why it only took a couple of days before López dropped the news about Otamendi wanting to leave.

Otamendi left Valencia with absolutely no intention of ever returning, and that is what he told his agent as well. Otamendi's main problem, however are the €50m that Valencia are demanding for him, Plaza state. Both Salvo and Lay Hoon insist on that price. Plaza state that Otamendi's latest move in order to fix this issue is to give up a part of his annual wages so Man United can up their offer. Plaza report that Man United have made it clear to Eugenio López that they will go as high as €40m for Otamendi.

This is what has prompted Otamendi to suggest giving up a part of his wages in order to support a possible move to Man Utd, Plaza say. Plaza also say that this is a move previously used by the likes of Jeremy Mathieu and Roberto Soldado to seal their moves away from Valencia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »
    They are like one of those parody accounts at this stage.

I thought it was a parody account like BBC Sporf

Giving up a part of his wages??

As in telling Valencia to not pay him as he isn't 'working' or to convince utd to sign him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As in telling Valencia to not pay him as he isn't 'working' or to convince utd to sign him?
    I thought it means he will take a lower wage from United so United can up their bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only 4 hours to sign a player choo chooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

How difficult is it? Accept a lesser wage, so man utd can offer a higher transfer fee.

Sounds unlikely though. Players rarely take a reduced wage when joining man utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Remember last year when Herrera signed there was a story going around that he bought out his contract with Bilbao

Will Otamendi have to do the same if he wants to leave?

Remember last year when Herrera signed there was a story going around that he bought out his contract with Bilbao

Will Otamendi have to do the same if he wants to leave?

IIRC, thats how release clauses work in Spain; something like the player needs to pay the required amount to the club to buy out their contract, the club gives the player the money and thats how the deal goes through.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I thought it was a parody account like BBC Sporf

It's real. Nearly 4 million followers.

How difficult is it? Accept a lesser wage, so man utd can offer a higher transfer fee.

Sounds unlikely though. Players rarely take a reduced wage when joining man utd.

Utd will always pay more though.
    He will always be on a higher wage at utd.
    I don't think utd are penny punching over a million or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Breaking news with sky :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

While I don't think it's beyond the pale either I would say it's highly unlikely it's posturing in that sense; more the position we're in where they really want De Gea and Ramos is keen too apparently.

Woodward does seem to be very good though at promoting the brand that is Manchester United. I think he's really laying his mark on the club now.

• Advertisement

Reading the Lyon manager said Lacazette could be bought for 50-60m Euro. So £35-40m. Would like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    That's a very good point. What I'll say then is that people often show too much faith in managers based on their successes, not paying enough attention to their failures and not acknowledging that they make mistakes.

But that is not what is happening. That is just a silly, hyperbolic misrepresentation of what is happening.

It's possible to say that you think the manager has picked a poor formation, team, whatever, without thinking that he is an idiot. It's possible to disagree with a manager's methods while still acknowledging that they can work.

And it's possible to say that some particular decision by the manager is not the best way of doing things while acknowledging that there may be something forcing the manager's hand that we're unaware of (like a personal issue going on with a player, or pressure from the money men, or an injury or whatever). But always including those caveats is beyond tedious, especially when the opposite side of the discussion rarely involves people using those particular reasons to justify the manager's decisions, but rather are usually justifying his decisions based on purely tactical and player quality reasoning.

By this logic there is no point to discussing strategy, tactics or player selections at all, because we could never draw any conclusions.

And I would argue that filling as many positions as possible without due regard for how they all fit together, doing deals to improve relationships with power brokers and signing star players to increase the profile of the club are not the best way for building towards success. I'd say that that is just a difference of opinion rather than a lack of acknowledgement of the factors at play that you are outlining.

First of all, that quote was in response to somebody arguing that we couldn't criticise Van Gaal for picking Rooney in midfield because plenty of us had been interested in seeing him playing there.

But more importantly, I really don't think acknowledging that Van Gaal's obsessiveness with player tactical discipline can mean he sometimes ends up making awkward player selections and that our summer transfer strategy might have been a bit flawed is outlandish at all.

Based on Van Gaal's previous managerial traits I had been saying from the start that we could well see a tactically disciplined player in midfield at the expense of more skilful one. So it is hardly absurd to continue with that reasoning when we then saw Rooney (who was working extremely hard defensively) being picked ahead of Herrera (who had shown a bit of positional indiscipline and hot-headedness up to that point).

Overall, your representation of my response to Van Gaal's choice of Rooney in midfield over Herrera is quite false. There is a solid line of reasoning that can be used to read Van Gaal's standard managerial thinking behind the choice, and my reaction to that was not the "zOh my god, he's an idiot! Everybody knows Herrera is better!" that you are portraying it as.

I stand by that "chanced on a functioning formation" statement. I think it is a ridiculous reach to think that Van Gaal set out with that 4141 formation and line-up - or something close to them - in mind when he was conducting his transfers during the summer and subsequently changing formations every few weeks for the first two thirds of the season. There was clearly loads of experimentation going on and when we finally arrived at a formation that worked it was one which the squad (with it's lack of depth in CM and abundance of strikers) had not been built towards the previous summer. That, to me, fits the description of chancing on a functioning formation and line-up. Although I wouldn't describe it as "blundering into" the formation and line-up, because that might imply that he wasn't experimenting with the specific aim of finding something that worked.

Just want to acknowledge this - I accept some of it and disagree with some but it's probably the sort of thing better argued about over a few pints and as I said it's mostly a philosophical ramble on my part anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Reading the Lyon manager said Lacazette could be bought for 50-60m Euro. So £35-40m. Would like that. :)

funny that people would pay it for him, but not Benteke who has as good or better goalscoring record in a tougher league, for a comparitively poorer team - and isn't much older.

funny that people would pay it for him, but not Benteke who has as good or better goalscoring record in a tougher league, for a comparitively poorer team - and isn't much older.

For the record, I'd have paid it for Benteke either; think he's being hugely underestimated by many people, and could thrive at Liverpool, who are great at building round a striker. Will be very interested in seeing how he gets on, and hope his own fans hang off his back to give him the chance to step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yea i would have gone for benteke over lacazette any day of the week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement