Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

We are very close to signing Romero apparently, due in Manchester tomorrow.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who?

Argentine keeper

I must say I'm loving this pissing battle between ed and Perez,

" what's that Madrid are signing a keeper well **** them we will sign one as well"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I presume that's Valdes replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mitten did say we were looking for a third choice keeper on off the ball during the week
    Surely if valdes goes we need **** of anders lindegaard too before brining in Romero, with Sam As third choice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Why no Paddy on this tour ? His commentary is usual a good laugh.

He didn't get a Visa to enter the US after he ticked the box he had been arrested in the past.
    Then it would have taken too long to sort out the mess he had created, so Lou Macari replaced him.

• Advertisement

Here is a shocker...the Messi rumours that he could move to United are fake, both the player and United being used to try an influence the election at Barcelona this time.

But Le 10 Sport in France are saying United will sell Di Maria to PSG, and that Ronaldo is very unhappy at Madrid and with Perez over how Casillas was treated and United could pay €100 million for Ronaldo, partially financed by the sale of Di Maria.
    They claim Perez is unhappy with Ronaldo for publicly going against him.

Meanwhile onto a more realistic transfer...it seems it is only United who are seriously in for Otamendi, maybe due to it being the club he wants to join. There should be movement soon on a deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ed was flying home after the game last night, yeah?So I'd presume we'll start to see some more movements on rumors again. Would expect Otamendi pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

RobertKK wrote: »
    But Le 10 Sport in France are saying United will sell Di Maria to PSG, and that Ronaldo is very unhappy at Madrid and with Perez over how Casillas was treated

This reason for a potential Ronaldo return is tiresome. Every transfer window Ronaldo is supposedly unhappy at players being sold/him not feeling valued at Madrid. Makes Ronaldo sound like a child and is most likely lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone got a link to highlights from the match?

James Ducker is saying United are not interested in signing Otamendi, they want Ramos.

https://twitter.com/DuckerTheTimes/status/622250544636149760

But then says LVG said we might get a surprise signing...

https://twitter.com/DuckerTheTimes/status/622278999721377792

Manuel Neuer to replace De Gea :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The best one yet ?

VFdIkYL.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Vertigo100 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thought Pieira, Depay and Darmian made the biggest impressions in the friendly this morning. Thought Johnstone looked very confident, and read the game well in terms of getting off his line quickly to shut out the one on one situations.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Highlights only:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought Pieira, Depay and Darmian made the biggest impressions in the friendly this morning. Thought Johnstone looked very confident, and read the game well in terms of getting off his line quickly to shut out the one on one situations.

Yeah agreed. Could have been a lot more comfortable win had Depay played in young in first half and Lingard had a good chance to square it to McNair I think but took too long out of it.

Decent first game back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Good to see Januzaj trying to stay on his feet. Needs to do it more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

BS23 didnt do much but what he did do he mad it look easy. He was always in space to recieve the ball and pass it on again.
    Schneiderlin was a bag of energy in the first halfhe was all over pitch was well im pressed with him.
    Darmian didnt put a foot wrong he was good going back and forward.
    memphis grew into the game he missed one or two lay offs but henalso made a few that were grest he will grow into the tesm over time.
    perrerira and herrera impressed too they were fun to watch and johnstone was better of the two keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

jayo26 wrote: »
    BS23 didnt do much but what he did do he mad it look easy. He was always in space to recieve the ball and pass it on again.

In fairness you could say the same about Carrick most of the time and Scholes for the last 6 or 7 years of his career. I'd be hopeful that he can use his brain rather than relying on his combative style. It would certainly prolong his career a few year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I thought Schneiderlin was head and shoulders above them all in terms of making impressions. He was everywhere. I was very happy with the the way the 4 signings seemed to have slotted into the group, they looked like they have been playing together for years.

Memphis looked a bit nervous for the first 20 mins but then came into his own with some lovely movement and passes.

hogandrew wrote: »
    In fairness you could say the same about Carrick most of the time and Scholes for the last 6 or 7 years of his career. I'd be hopeful that he can use his brain rather than relying on his combative style. It would certainly prolong his career a few year.

Oh yeh i agree they are the same too thsts what we need. I think he will settke into the role he threw himself sround a bit much but i think lvg wants him to sit baxk more then run around chasing the gsme so hopefully they will finetune his role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i forgot how annoying Fox sports are :P english commentator kept calling carrick mickey, complained in the first half about their being no "academy" players on the tour i guess we are not counting all the lads that are there, american guy kept calling blackett blacklet among other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Surprised you didn't give Schneiderlin a mention who I thought was the most impressive of the new signings. I thought Depay was the least impressive, couldn't get into the game at all for the first half hour or so. He was heavily marked I suppose and did no worse than Rooney but I thought it was a very low key debut. His first touch and close control isn't up to scratch IMO and I think he will be a work in progress.

It's amazing how quickly in the second half Utd could stretch the game. Having Perrera and Lingaard on the wings added that bit of pace and urgency that were constant out balls to counteract the high pressing game of the opposition.

Obviously I'm not calling for either to be regular starters but it IMO it does point out the problems with having Young and Mata as the wide players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What's this about Depay playing as like a 10?

TheDoc wrote: »
    What's this about Depay playing as like a 10?

Yeah he played in behind Rooney with Young and Mata out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It was more in the Fellaini role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

magnumbud wrote: »
    i forgot how annoying Fox sports are :P english commentator kept calling carrick mickey, complained in the first half about their being no "academy" players on the tour i guess we are not counting all the lads that are there, american guy kept calling blackett blacklet among other things

Was driving me mad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

yabadabado wrote: »
    The best one yet ?

VFdIkYL.gif

Best one I've seen in a LONG time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What a difference year makes.

CKMG5YqUsAAdJTW.jpgCKMG6HpVEAApLvg.jpg

• Advertisement

It was more in the Fellaini role?

He looked to be playing behind Rooney to me, not as deep as Fellaini would play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

adox wrote: »
    He looked to be playing behind Rooney to me, not as deep as Fellaini would play.

Actually ya. I wasn't actually really paying attention to it that much. Just noticed him off rooneys left shoulder a lot.
    Look a 4 2 4 at time. I think they were just allowed have a run about in a very loose formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Ya Fellaini was used in the winning run in a 4141 or 433 last night looked more 4411 to me. Depay being first 1.

I no I harped on a bit much watching Darmian last night was a breath of fresh air, he wasnt really tested at the back and was caught out once but going forward seemed very quick and very comfortable on both feet, also wanted to push forward and run into the oppositions box.

I'd actually think about getting a Jersey with his name on the back, last one I got was De Gea the first month he signed.

Ya Fellaini was used in the winning run in a 4141 or 433 last night looked more 4411 to me. Depay being first 1.

I no I harped on a bit much watching Darmian last night was a breath of fresh air, he wasnt really tested at the back and was caught out once but going forward seemed very quick and very comfortable on both feet, also wanted to push forward and run into the oppositions box.

I'd actually think about getting a Jersey with his name on the back, last one I got was De Gea the first month he signed.

He looked really comfortable in fairness to him and he was in the right place each time when it came to defending.

Id love to see schneiderlin and schweinsteiger in midfield next game i think bsstian would be alot more controlled if he had schneiderlin beside him making all the tackles and closing down.

Surprised you didn't give Schneiderlin a mention who I thought was the most impressive of the new signings. I thought Depay was the least impressive, couldn't get into the game at all for the first half hour or so. He was heavily marked I suppose and did no worse than Rooney but I thought it was a very low key debut. His first touch and close control isn't up to scratch IMO and I think he will be a work in progress.

Fair enough on Schneiderlin - I suppose I find it more difficult, personally, to notice central midfielders in games such as this unless they are making eye catching passes.

On Depay, I would disagree. I felt our better moments in the first half came through him and it was a good performance for his first performance, for a new side with new players, in the first 45minutes of pre-season action. I wouldn't have worries long term about touch or close control; his ability on the ball is what made him so sought after imo. I would still say he is a work in progress cause there are no players at his age that are the finished article or wouldn't be looking to improve significantly in the next number of years - but I believe he will be a very productive member of the first team this season, more so that Januzaj for example who I would more readily describe as a work in progress (or even more so Pieira).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone see The Ed Woodward interview on MUTV? I missed it but it is repeated in about 20 min.

• Advertisement

He looked really comfortable in fairness to him and he was in the right place each time when it came to defending.

Id love to see schneiderlin and schweinsteiger in midfield next game i think bsstian would be alot more controlled if he had schneiderlin beside him making all the tackles and closing down.

What I liked about darmian, and what was hightlighted as a key aspect of his play people reviewing his time at Torino, is his defensive style - presses quickly, gets tight quickly and looks to nip ahead of the attacker for the intercept; he is a proactive defender - while I feel Valencia was far more reactive in his defensive style. Obviously it may lead to issues down the right when he doesn't make it or the winger takes advantage of the press to get in behind - but again he has been marked as an intelligent defender so I would hope he will learn or already knows when to make the move on an attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Ya using last night as a very loose baseline they should do very well, Schweinsteigers composure on the ball is unbelievable impressed me immensely add the workrate of Scneirderlin.

Did we got 3-5-2 in every game of pre season last year, wondering is last night a strong indicator of whats to come.

What I liked about darmian, and what was hightlighted as a key aspect of his play people reviewing his time at Torino, is his defensive style - presses quickly, gets tight quickly and looks to nip ahead of the attacker for the intercept; he is a proactive defender - while I feel Valencia was far more reactive in his defensive style. Obviously it may lead to issues down the right when he doesn't make it or the winger takes advantage of the press to get in behind - but again he has been marked as an intelligent defender so I would hope he will learn or already knows when to make the move on an attacker.

Think you pretty much summed him up there only thing i think he is weak on is crosses but it will all depend on what way we play him or who will be in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What a difference year makes.

CKMG5YqUsAAdJTW.jpgCKMG6HpVEAApLvg.jpg

I would have loved to have signed him 3-4 seasons ago. Schweinsteiger in a United jersey is a sight to behold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would have loved to have signed him 3-4 seasons ago. Schweinsteiger in a United jersey is a sight to behold

If Bayern had beaten Chelsea in the CL that year it could have happened earlier by all accounts. Damn you Juan Mata!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone see The Ed Woodward interview on MUTV? I missed it but it is repeated in about 20 min.

You can find that in dailymotion. Very good interview and answered every question as it is.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You can find that in dailymotion. Very good interview and answered every question as it is.
    On now MUTV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Woodward when asked if there will be more transfers this summer - "Its up to Louis"...

What he wants he will get by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i'm hoping when he was talking about the 2 positions he wants to strengthen that if true romero doesnt count as 1 of the 2. still need a cb most importantly and striker(which he hinted at) if you ask me

"Last year we finished 4th ... that's not good enough!"

Love LVG :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

irishfeen wrote: »
    "Last year we finished 4th ... that's not good enough!"

Love LVG :)
    Not to bring up the topic again for debate but..
    The more you look at it, the more crazy it seems that David Moyes was the man to replace SAF.
    The club needs an experienced proven winner to lead them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Memphis laying down the law to UK commentators already.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/622219505922486273

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Not to bring up the topic again for debate but..
    The more you look at it, the more crazy it seems that David Moyes was the man to replace SAF.
    The club needs an experienced proven winner to lead them.

He was chosen by Alex because he knew he would fail and Alex would be missed all the more so not that much a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

JamboMac wrote: »
    He was chosen by Alex because he knew he would fail and Alex would be missed all the more so not that much a surprise.
    Jaysus...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement