Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JamboMac wrote: »
    He was chosen by Alex because he knew he would fail and Alex would be missed all the more so not that much a surprise.

Bollox, that is.

He was the wrong choice but I think it is rather insulting to SAF to claim he deliberately looked to f*ck united over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He was chosen by Alex because he knew he would fail and Alex would be missed all the more so not that much a surprise.

Ah jaysis that's a load of crap and you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Thats as suprising as claiming United should sign Dost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ya using last night as a very loose baseline they should do very well, Schweinsteigers composure on the ball is unbelievable impressed me immensely add the workrate of Scneirderlin.

Did we got 3-5-2 in every game of pre season last year, wondering is last night a strong indicator of whats to come.

I think the formations last night were done more to fit everyone in and give everyone game time, i wouldn't take it as an indication of what is to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fantasy Football is going to be a challenge :)

15dnaqs.jpg

4500483-double-facepalm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You just keep throwing yourself out there lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

irishfeen wrote: »
    "Last year we finished 4th ... that's not good enough!"

Love LVG :)

Didn't he follow it up with something like "We need to be top 3"? That's where I miss Fergie. Fergie's next sentence would have been "We'll be challenging, no doubt about that."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Think Schneiderlin is going to absolutely huge for us! Haven't been this excited for the start of the season in a long time, get Otamendi in and the squad is in unbelievable shape and will challenge on all fronts IMO. Incredible to think of the CM options we have now compared to two years ago.

• Advertisement

Chico getting another chance to prove himself.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/622279721804410880

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Memphis laying down the law to UK commentators already.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Ladyman_DM/status/622219505922486273

I think that's being a bit precious. A lot of people's fathers are gowls. Seems to just have a chip on the shoulder about it and not accepting it as life.

jayo26 wrote: »
    You just keep throwing yourself out there lol

I suppose we are blinded by the tabloids and cannot see the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »

Really hopes Chicharito takes his chances and prove himself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You are becoming very predictable. #hipster

I think that's being a bit precious. A lot of people's fathers are gowls. Seems to just have a chip on the shoulder about it and not accepting it as life.

Frankly i wouldn't blame him really for wanting Memphis on his jersey.

• Advertisement

Really hopes Chicharito takes his chances and prove himself..

I think his ship has sailed at Utd, under the current regime at least. He just doesn't have the game to play the role Van Gaal wants from his striker.

I suppose we are blinded by the tabloids and cannot see the truth.

Yeh we are just following the popular opinion we should form our own opinions

Not precious at all and hugely dismissive of you to accuse him of having a chip on his shoulder. You have no idea nor do I) what his relationship with his father was like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

41E21OP.gif

Tiz all I can do.

Nope loads of footballers are same, press making a deal of it if you ask me. Jordi was one in the past didnt want his dads surname because it put him under extra pressure different reasons then memphis but his choice..

• Advertisement

What's the tldr version of the story?
    Thought it was his father walked out early or something?
    Can he not change his name by deed poll??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If Hernandez can have "Chicharito" on the back, then I think it's fair enough that Memphis uses one of his actual names.

adox wrote: »
    Not precious at all and hugely dismissive of you to accuse him of having a chip on his shoulder. You have no idea nor do I) what his relationship with his father was like.

Yeah. Probably dismissive of me alright.
    My ill formed opinion is that is sounds childish.

What's the tldr version of the story?
    Thought it was his father walked out early or something?

Well according to his Wikipedia page (not entirely reliable),
    He plays only under his given name to spite his absent father

baz2009 wrote: »
    If Hernandez can have "Chicharito" on the back, then I think it's fair enough that Memphis uses one of his actual names.

I'm not on about choosing a name or a nickname for the shirt.

Or maybe you could just call him Memphis its only 2 extra letters to type compared to Depay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Before or after games Memphis can be called what he likes but during games he will get one of a few names from me varying from useless c**t to f**cking legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I just think of elvis when I see depay, Between calling him memphis and those massive sideburns..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Why should he accept it? If he has chance to change something he doesn't like, why should he accept?

Ducker is adamant that we are not in for Otamendi, he has been saying he is 100% positive we won't don't want him. If you go thru his timeline he is saying it a good while

https://twitter.com/DuckerTheTimes/status/622250544636149760

• Advertisement

Ducker is adamant that we are not in for Otamendi, he has been saying he is 100% positive we won't don't want him. If you go thru his timeline he is saying it a good while

https://twitter.com/DuckerTheTimes/status/622250544636149760

That will be very disappointing if true(can't keep track of who and who aren't the more reliable journalists when it comes to Utd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yes that's right, the greatest club manager ever decided to ruin his beloved club because he had something to prove. Which is a bit like saying...

I think I'll let my brother borrow my beloved car tomorrow, so he can go and write it off. That way everyone will know I am a much better driver than him.

Give us a break.

This is the STUPIDEST thing i have ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Stop quoting that ****. It's tinfoil hat stuff that is best ignored.

Anyway, everyone knows that Moyes was only a small part of Fergie's plan to cement his legacy. His real plan was to not replace the midfield, deliberately chase out Pogba, then install Moyes as a puppet to take the club down from the inside.

LVG and Woodward are not part of the plan, so expect assassinations. Think about it. They are in the US right now, Kennedy was assassinated in the US. Woodward, LVG, Fergie. 3 people. A triangle has 3 sides. Masons. Illuminati. Chemtrails. Controlled explosions. Jet fuel can't melt through steel girders. Seriously, wake up sheeple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

This is the STUPIDEST thing i have ever read.

Sadly it's not the first time I've heard it tho.

Moyes got the job because Fergie believed he was the best man for it, something that really is still baffling me to this day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

What I loved about that game was we played a completely different 11 in both halves, and it's hard to decide which of the two very good centre midfield pairs were better!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    That will be very disappointing if true(can't keep track of who and who aren't the more reliable journalists when it comes to Utd).

My stance is unless all the English journalists are reporting it at the same time, ignore them, cause they don't have a clue and "exclusives" really aren't worth anything right now from them.

Good. He is good back up to have. Rooney said Van Gaal wants his striker to stretch defense and drag CBs for midfielders to occupy. Also he doesn't care about number of touches, just tactical movement and goals. That's something Hernandez offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So whats everybody top performers from the game.

I thought sneiderlin was the stand out player in the game.

Then januzaj and pereira excited me when they came on. Wouldnt mind seeing them 2 and depay play together in 1 of the games.

Lingard did decent aswell

Johnstone is our new number 2, cheerio lindergaard

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    So whats everybody top performers from the game.

I thought sneiderlin was the stand out player in the game.

Then januzaj and pereira excited me when they came on. Wouldnt mind seeing them 2 and depay play together in 1 of the games.

Lingard did decent aswell

Johnstone is our new number 2, cheerio lindergaard

Schneiderlin was class. His defensive contribution and passing range was very good.

In the second half, loved Schweinsteiger's game. His composure and ability to retain possession was class. Also his passing was joy to watch.

Apart from that, like you said enjoyed pereira's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I stayed up to watch the match last night, here are my thoughts:

Sam Johnstone: Will now be referred to as Manuel Johnstone. Nutter off his line.

Matteo Darmian: Solid, you can tell he's a defend first right-back, read opponent runs in behind really well.

Morgan Schneiderlin: Damn, he's seriously impressive in the middle. He prowls, he knows where the ball is going, and his athleticism surprised me.

Bastian Der Fußballgott: Literally every touch he takes on the ball is fashioned by Ming Dynasty Chinese silk. He does this little shimmy when he receives the ball which buys him an extra second and I was absolutely swooning every time he touched the ball. Such a high quality player, you could tell the kids around him were delighted to play with him.

Memphis Depay: Extremely creative and confident, always shows for the ball, had a moan at Young and Rooney for not giving it early enough which I was delighted to see, he's scared of nothing.

Andreas Pereira: This kid looked ****ing excellent. Was our biggest threat in the second half, seriously promising performance. High hopes for him.

Defo worth staying up for as I had feck all to do today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How was Moyes supposed to react with the world falling down around him? He was constantly talking about the need to do better. He wasn't stupid, LVG could only finish with a few more points with very significant investment. Let's not kid ourselves, if Liverpool didn't sell Suarez then United aren't in the CL again. Whatever LVG achieves from here, it may surpass what Moyes would have achieved long term but nobody can tell me Moyes would have started last season nearly as badly without addressing CB properly and a bunch of other things. The club needed a fall guy though and he made sense, even though I'd say he'd have been fairly ruthless in Summer myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's been bugging me for ages as to who Woodward looked like and then it dawned on me, he looks like Ian Hislop.

Liam O wrote: »
    How was Moyes supposed to react with the world falling down around him? He was constantly talking about the need to do better. He wasn't stupid, LVG could only finish with a few more points with very significant investment. Let's not kid ourselves, if Liverpool didn't sell Suarez then United aren't in the CL again. Whatever LVG achieves from here, it may surpass what Moyes would have achieved long term but nobody can tell me Moyes would have started last season nearly as badly without addressing CB properly and a bunch of other things. The club needed a fall guy though and he made sense, even though I'd say he'd have been fairly ruthless in Summer myself.

It's boring man. Move on. It's been done to death. Moyes was clueless and couldn't even make a proper decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Liam O wrote: »

LVG is better at attracting quality footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Bollox, that is.

He was the wrong choice but I think it is rather insulting to SAF to claim he deliberately looked to f*ck united over.

Screwed not so much but you think a man with ego like Alex wanted somebody like Jose to come behind and carry on then your just kidding yourself. Alex wanted to be appreciated, if I knew he was wrong as soon as he was mentioned as the new manager you can guarantee Alex did or you can believe that people would never dream of doing such a thing it's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I stayed up to watch the match last night, here are my thoughts:

Sam Johnstone: Will now be referred to as Manuel Johnstone. Nutter off his line.

Matteo Darmian: Solid, you can tell he's a defend first right-back, read opponent runs in behind really well.

Morgan Schneiderlin: Damn, he's seriously impressive in the middle. He prowls, he knows where the ball is going, and his athleticism surprised me.

Bastian Der Fußballgott: Literally every touch he takes on the ball is fashioned by Ming Dynasty Chinese silk. He does this little shimmy when he receives the ball which buys him an extra second and I was absolutely swooning every time he touched the ball. Such a high quality player, you could tell the kids around him were delighted to play with him.

Memphis Depay: Extremely creative and confident, always shows for the ball, had a moan at Young and Rooney for not giving it early enough which I was delighted to see, he's scared of nothing.

Andreas Pereira: This kid looked ****ing excellent. Was our biggest threat in the second half, seriously promising performance. High hopes for him.

Defo worth staying up for as I had feck all to do today.

schweinsteigers distribution was a thing of beauty aswell, dont think he misplaced one pass, kept it simple, and was stong as an ox on the ball too, loved watching him play. hope we see/ we probably will see different combinations of midfield pairings on the tour. bring on the next match.

Screwed not so much but you think a man with ego like Alex wanted somebody like Jose to come behind and carry on then your just kidding yourself. Alex wanted to be appreciated, if I knew he was wrong as soon as he was mentioned as the new manager you can guarantee Alex did or you can believe that people would never dream of doing such a thing it's your choice.

Get a grip he is one of the most succesful managers in club football he dont need to do something like that to be appreciated he has a stand named after him and a statue.

He gave his input on replacing his successor he got it wrong and we move on because the good he did for the club will always outweigh the few mistakes he mad.

If anything it showed the club needed to be rebuilt from the ground up if we had to finish second or third that season i doubt we would see the investment like we are seen now in the squad.

chips1234 wrote: »
    schweinsteigers distribution was a thing of beauty aswell, dont think he misplaced one pass, kept it simple, and was stong as an ox on the ball too, loved watching him play. hope we see/ we probably will see different combinations of midfield pairings on the tour. bring on the next match.

Only thing i could say bad about bastian was he threw about himself too much and as someone else said he would pro long his carrer if he didnt but this will be sorted out i think. If he had schneiderlin beside him it would of been better then herrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

jayo26 wrote: »
    Get a grip he is one of the most succesful managers in club football he dont need to do something like that to be appreciated he has a stand named after him and a statue.

He gave his input on replacing his successor he got it wrong and we move on because the good he did for the club will always outweigh the few mistakes he mad.

If anything it showed the club needed to be rebuilt from the ground up if we had to finish second or third that season i doubt we would see the investment like we are seen now in the squad.

If you think I'm holding it against him I'm not, I'm just not that naive either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement