Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Di Maria is so much more talented than Pedro

It's like going from a Koenigsegg with some overheating problems to a Ford Mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Someone admitting they had never heard of a player, and then attempting to argue why or why not they wouldn't make the team is really confusing to me.

It's ok to not have an opinion on things like.

Pedro is a player everyone who considers themselves even a casual football fan should be aware of. That said, it is possible to have missed him, if not really bothered with football outside of the Premier League. I know people who have never seen Forrest Gump, like how do you even manage to avoid watching Forrest Gump? But they have. Although, nobody I know would argue that Forrest Gump isn't as good as Cast Away, if they had never seen it. At least I seriously hope they wouldn't.

Actually, a lad in work has never seen any of the Star Wars films. Just so strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's like going from a Koenigsegg with some overheating problems to a Ford Mondeo

Yeh so true but i dont think it will be done by choice easily, it will only happen if di maria wants out

Yeh so true but i dont think it will be done by choice easily, it will only happen if di maria wants out

Are you joking?

If Di Maria is a Koenigsegg, then Pedro, someone who played in a far better team than any Di Maria played in at Real, is a Porsche 911. Still a fecking slick car but not as rare or as powerful as a Koenigsegg at it's best.

Di Maria didn't have some overheating problems, he couldn't start. And a Ford Mondeo would be more like Stephen Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Are you joking?

If Di Maria is a Koenigsegg, then Pedro, someone who played in a far better team than any Di Maria played in at Real, is a Porsche 911. Still a fecking slick car but not as rare or as powerful as a Koenigsegg at it's best.

Di Maria didn't have some overheating problems, he couldn't start. And a Ford Mondeo would be more like Stephen Quinn.
    Which makes Paul McShane a... ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which makes Paul McShane a... ???

41YpKugNXtL_SX315_SY375_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mars Bar wrote: »
    41YpKugNXtL_SX315_SY375_.jpg
    ah mars bar you made me smile and laugh... thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Are you joking?

Yeah I'm not too fond of Pedro

He is a good consistent player but Di Maria at his best can majorly help a team win the league like Hazard or Silva

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not too fond of Pedro

He is a good consistent player but Di Maria at his best can majorly help a team win the league like Hazard or Silva

I'd agree with that. Don't need to **** on Pedro to make the point though.

It's not like we're going "PEDRO!? Aww yeah lets sell Di Maria now." It's an acceptance that Di Maria doesn't want to live in England and we would be bringing in as good a replacement as you could ask for in current circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pedro is more of a goalscorer than Di Maria. Having him and Di Maria as wide options on the right would be great but if last night showed us anything LVG wants Mata wide. Not convinced by Memphis in the middle, seems to try too hard to force the ball places but on the wings that's what you want.

Ultimately if it's Pedro minus ADM then no but if it's Pedro and Di Maria then I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I really hope we don't spend £95m on Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pedro is a top class player.would excite me more than the other signings as he is the type of flair/creative player that we need but extremely hard working also.

Would be our best signing so far this summer if it came through. Wonder though is he yet again, another player out for a new contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

py2006 wrote: »

Why? Do you not want the best players at United?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Why? It's not coming out of our pockets. Rich uncle Ed is picking up the tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Do you really think they have any intentions of selling him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pedro is a top class player.would excite me more than the other signings as he is the type of flair/creative player that we need but extremely hard working also.

Would be our best signing so far this summer if it came through. Wonder though is he yet again, another player out for a new contract?

He just signed a new contract and inserted a much lower buy out clause, a fifth of what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/622661528446238720

Good,if they really want Di Maria then they better cough up.

The one thing in all this is the fact that the only quotes from Di Maria are the ones about him wanting to stay and prove himself,unlike a few others who went to their home countries and spouted off to local media then claimed to be mis quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Would be delighted if it was Bale. Pretty much guaranteed he'd be there till the end of his career. No will he or won't he sign a new contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Someone admitting they had never heard of a player, and then attempting to argue why or why not they wouldn't make the team is really confusing to me.

It's ok to not have an opinion on things like.

Pedro is a player everyone who considers themselves even a casual football fan should be aware of. That said, it is possible to have missed him, if not really bothered with football outside of the Premier League. I know people who have never seen Forrest Gump, like how do you even manage to avoid watching Forrest Gump? But they have. Although, nobody I know would argue that Forrest Gump isn't as good as Cast Away, if they had never seen it. At least I seriously hope they wouldn't.

Actually, a lad in work has never seen any of the Star Wars films. Just so strange.

See below and no, I've never seen Star Wars.

I was using poetic license to prove my point. Obviously a literary device most are unaware of.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/622661528446238720

Good,if they really want Di Maria then they better cough up.

The one thing in all this is the fact that the only quotes from Di Maria are the ones about him wanting to stay and prove himself,unlike a few others who went to their home countries and spouted off to local media then claimed to be mis quoted.

The second they paid €50m for David Luiz they basically ruined any chance of them getting a good price for a player again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

He wouldn't cost anywhere near that if real wanted him out, maybe £60m - £70m maximum.

Thing is real have no big players to come in this year do they do they won't be getting rid like Ozil and Di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ok Ed its Sunday,

Time for some signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Probably not a widespread opinion, but if LVG views Di Maria as a winger, I have no problem selling him. In fact, I hope we do. In my opinion, he is not a great winger. He wasn't great for Benfica or Madrid as a winger and it was only when he moved into the centre for Madrid that he began to flourish.

I believe his wages are the highest of any player in the Premier League and, as a winger, his output is just not good enough to justify that money. My view is that Di Maria really comes into his own when he is in the centre of the park or his own half and breaking forward with the ball at his feet. But after a bright start for Utd last year in that sort of position, he started playing further up the pitch as an out an out winger and was nowhere near as effective.

So either play him where he is likely to be most effective or sell him and recoup whatever money we can and remove his wages from the books.

Probably not a widespread opinion, but if LVG views Di Maria as a winger, I have no problem selling him. In fact, I hope we do. In my opinion, he is not a great winger. He wasn't great for Benfica or Madrid as a winger and it was only when he moved into the centre for Madrid that he began to flourish.

I believe his wages are the highest of any player in the Premier League and, as a winger, his output is just not good enough to justify that money. My view is that Di Maria really comes into his own when he is in the centre of the park or his own half and breaking forward with the ball at his feet. But after a bright start for Utd last year in that sort of position, he started playing further up the pitch as an out an out winger and was nowhere near as effective.

So either play him where he is likely to be most effective or sell him and recoup whatever money we can and remove his wages from the books.

I've read he's on £160k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Probably not a widespread opinion, but if LVG views Di Maria as a winger, I have no problem selling him. In fact, I hope we do. In my opinion, he is not a great winger.

On the Barca subreddit (I think), I saw a discussion that basically held the same view, but also added that he's more effective as a counter attacker, and United are more of a possession based team now. Pedro, for example, would have more experience in the sort of team we're building and could be more effective than DiMaria on the right wing.

You'd imagine that Herrera/Schnei/Schwi is our first choice midfield now, so if Di maria is playing, you'd imagine its on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Juan8 wrote: »
    I've read he's on £160k

In the Sunday Times today they say Di Maria's wages of £11.96 million per year is the highest basic salary in the Premier League. Also, they have some interesting info about some addons to his transfer fee:
    United paid Real Madrid an €75m (then £59.7m) for the Argentina international, also committing to pay £3.95m of "guaranteed variables" and cover 3.2m of Fifa mandated "solidarity payments" to his former clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I readily admit I don't know too much about Depay, but he'd want to be pretty amazing this season to justify the way posters are turning their noses up at Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Does It not irk people on here that DiMaria is clearly a completely different player when playin for Argentina than when playing (in the same position) for us?

I haven't guarded my opinion on him and have taken a fair amount of stick for it, but it's my opinion and I think it's merited.

He was an expensive gamble than ultimately hasn't paid off. I know I've only given him a season, I just can't see him getting much better, and certainly not hitting the heights he is more than capable of. I hope (if he stays) I'm proved wrong.

If PSG want to stump up circa £50m, I'd bite their arm off. Pedro won't be as popular, but probably a better replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fenix wrote: »
    Does It not irk people on here that DiMaria is clearly a completely different player when playin for Argentina than when playing (in the same position) for us?

No. The guy has to adapt to a new league and culture, its a bit crazy to write him off after one season. Di Maria absolutely may never adapt it become the legend we all hoped for but he has the talent and ability to do it. It will come back to if he has the will, which we will know over the next few months.

He was a completely different player in Madrid too. Using the fact he was in good for for Argentina as a stick to beat him with is unfair in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Fenix wrote: »

I haven't guarded my opinion on him and have taken a fair amount of stick for it, but it's my opinion and I think it's merited.

He was an expensive gamble than ultimately hasn't paid off. I know I've only given him a season, I just can't see him getting much better, and certainly not hitting the heights he is more than capable of. I hope (if he stays) I'm proved wrong.

If PSG want to stump up circa £50m, I'd bite their arm off. Pedro won't be as popular, but probably a better replacement.

He gets a bit more freedom with Argentina playing with the likes of Messi and aguero.

Di Maria will shine if we keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

keane2097 wrote: »
    I readily admit I don't know too much about Depay, but he'd want to be pretty amazing this season to justify the way posters are turning their noses up at Pedro.

The Pedro thing is stemming from the fact he is not starter for Barca IMO. People think he is not good enough, haven't seen a lot of Pedro over the last few seasons however he got a similar number of games to Sanchez while he was at Barca.

My only fear for Pedro is he is 5"5, not to say he couldn't be great but he is not exactly a big unit and I could see him struggling to adapt to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

duffman13 wrote: »
    The Pedro thing is stemming from the fact he is not starter for Barca IMO. People think he is not good enough, haven't seen a lot of Pedro over the last few seasons however he got a similar number of games to Sanchez while he was at Barca.

My only fear for Pedro is he is 5"5, not to say he couldn't be great but he is not exactly a big unit and I could see him struggling to adapt to the league.

Im the same.

I have a slight concern he'd struggle physically but on the other side of that I think hes much more of a LVG style wide player than ADM will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

keane2097 wrote: »

The opposite for me. Pedro is average, a workhorse who does the basics well but there is not much more to his game then that but he was part of a great Barca era so people drool over him and the thoughts of buying from Barca excites.

Depay is a much more exciting prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

The opposite for me. Pedro is average, a workhorse who does the basics well but there is not much more to his game then that but he was part of a great Barca era so people drool over him and the thoughts of buying from Barca excites.

Depay is a much more exciting prospect.

It isnt that simply imo. Obviously Depay is the more dynamic wide player who will also score you more goals but on the flip side hes going give away possession a lot more and be less consistant than Pedro.

In certain games Pedro's skillset will be of more benefit and visa versa. For the fee been quoted and if ADM is off I think we should defo make an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I wasn't given 'honest' chance by Van Gaal

Robin van Persie says Louis van Gaal did not give him an “honest” chance to prove he was worthy of staying at Manchester United this summer.

“I know Louis as a national team coach and now I get to know him as a club coach,” Van Persie told the Sunday Times. “And there is a difference.”

“But I was still thinking we could come back from holiday and start from scratch,” he said. “He had changed his mind about me before. When he took over Holland he said to me ‘You’re the No 3 striker.’ I was ‘O...K...’ but I fought and became the No 1 and his captain.

“But when I came back, it wasn’t an honest battle any more. Fighting to get back in the team wasn’t given me as an option. He was sending me to Pitch Two. And I’m a mature player. I’m not stupid. I didn’t get angry or emotional. These things are part of football, part of life. You have to make the best out of any situation so I’m doing this by moving on.”

“That was one of the first signals things weren’t going in the right direction,” Van Persie said. “I asked to play in the reserves, to get my minutes, but after was on the bench again. The atmosphere changed between me and Louis and people at the club saw it, but I was always professional. At that point I didn’t think to leave. Bouchra was happy. The kids were happy. I was happy in Manchester.”

“The World Cup was very intense, physically and mentally, especially as a captain,” Van Persie said. “Maybe I needed one more week’s break before the season. Over Christmas I played three games in six days, full games, and my (ankle) tendon got inflamed but I kept playing, taking painkillers, to help the team.

“I think it was just extreme tiredness (injuring his ankle against Swansea in February). That was one of the tricks of Arsene and Sir Alex. Sir Alex knew exactly how he would handle Rio or Giggsy or Scholesy. That’s how they played on so long. Arsene knew exactly how he would manage Bergkamp. That is a managing skill and not every coach has that skill.”

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-van-persie-wasnt-given-honest-chance-084315287--sow.html

We Wont be signing pedro. Never ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

jayo26 wrote: »
    We Wont be signing pedro. Never ever.

You are not Futureguy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Interview with Mata on the BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33584202

"They told me 'you are very important, you are one of the first'," Mata said.

"I knew the club was going to have these kind of signings," Mata said.

"It's not just about bringing good players in. It's about playing well and winning trophies."

When you play for a top team you always know you have to be at your best level. There is a lot of competition for spots in the first team but I believe in myself. I always train the best I can. Between us all we have to help the team but obviously if you play for a team like Manchester United you are always going to have competition.

Where do you still need to add to the squad?

I don't know - this is a question for executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and Van Gaal. I am quite happy with the players we have at the moment. Obviously I think they are looking in the market to bring a few more in. Let's see what happens.

Where has further improvement got to come from this season?

Last season we started a new philosophy with a new manager. It takes time. This season we know how the manager wants us to play. We know the way he loves to play football. It should be better for us.

What is the manager like?

With the media he can be brutal but also very funny.
    Like it is with you. We don't know what to expect. It depends how we perform and how we have been training. He is very straight. He is very direct. He is very honest. It is good. You can be a good or bad manager but, apart from anything, I believe in the person. Sometimes he is tough, as you can see. But I think he does it for the right meaning.

What is his philosophy?

To win with good football. Good football means to play with the ball and make the pitch big. To create, not to wait, and to be proactive. He wants you to be the boss in the game and the team that makes the tempo. Obviously you have to adapt sometimes and you have to defend a little bit more compact and know how to play without the ball.

Were you envious at not being in the Champions League last season?

Yes. Every Tuesday and Wednesday at home watching the games, mainly with Ander Herrera and David De Gea. We need to be back there. This club needs to be fighting for the Champions League.

Is it imperative you win a trophy this season?

That is the pressure this club always has. We have to be fighting for titles. Last season we didn't win any trophy. This season we want to win an important trophy.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    You are not Futureguy.....

I would never try to be him he is a legend...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Some excellent interviews in a day.

Van Persie interview was brilliant. He loved Wenger and Fergie, praised them so much. Also he is very good friends with Vida and Rio. Rumors about Rooney and RVP rift is pure nonsense and how Van Gaal didn't give him fair chance to prove his worth.

On top of all this, he praised Ed Woodward. He received message from Gill, Fergie and Ed once he moved.

Shaw and Januzaj attitude is fantastic. They both hired one of the coaching staff and did 4 sessions per day. So Januzaj has filled up and Shaw looks leaner. Love this attitude from players.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Some excellent interviews in a day.

Van Persie interview was brilliant. He loved Wenger and Fergie, praised them so much. Also he is very good friends with Vida and Rio. Rumors about Rooney and RVP rift is pure nonsense and how Van Gaal didn't give him fair chance to prove his worth.

On top of all this, he praised Ed Woodward. He received message from Gill, Fergie and Ed once he moved.

Shaw and Januzaj attitude is fantastic. They both hired one of the coaching staff and did 4 sessions per day. So Januzaj has filled up and Shaw looks leaner. Love this attitude from players.

Where did you see about adnan and luke? I like that too and same with perera he came back from his holls early too. We need hunger like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

duffman13 wrote: »

Aguero, Silva, Tevez, Mata, Sanchez, Oscar, Coutinho just to name a few who are not tall but who are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

jayo26 wrote: »
    Where did you see about adnan and luke? I like that too and same with perera he came back from his holls early too. We need hunger like that.

https://twitter.com/writtenoff_mufc/status/622665709341032448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lvg is in ruthless mode this season.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Shaw for getting in good condition but it baffles me how a professional footballer isn't in peak condition 100% of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fair play to Shaw for getting in good condition but it baffles me how a professional footballer isn't in peak condition 100% of the time.

How many athletes can you name who stay in peak condition 100% of the time?

How many athletes can you name who stay in peak condition 100% of the time?

Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ryan Giggs.

Even when himself and Lee Sharpe were throwing parties and drinking when they were around Shaw and Januzaj's ages?

Can't see how RVP doesn't think he was given an honest chance at one point last season it looked like no matter how bad he played he wouldn't be dropped

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement