Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

dahat wrote: »
    So if ADM goes and Pedro comes in i think the midfield of two Sch with Herrera would be **** hot.

Schnerdlin-Schwenstaiger-Herrara

Depay--Rooney---Pedro

Depay is better as LW, his strength is cutting inside and shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Had a dream about the first match of the season.

2 mins to go, a drab 0-0. Rooney has the ball on the left and is fouled. Jumps up, quickly takes it, swings a looping left footed cross into the far side of the box where Wilson calmly side foots a volley into the right corner of the net.

The players pile on top of Wilson, Old Trafford goes delirious, we're going to win the league.

I think AdM going is probably for the best at this point. If he's another poor season his value will drop considerably and it seems he's not happy, so I can't see how he's going to perform to the best of his abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United V City for Otamendi. Meetings held by both at the weekend with the agent of Otamendi, both to make offers this week are the claims.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/623035655447252992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Depay is better as LW, his strength is cutting inside and shoot.

Goes without saying, just named the front 3.

It's a pretty solid 6 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RobertKK wrote: »
    United V City for Otamendi. Meetings held by both at the weekend with the agent of Otamendi, both to make offers this week are the claims.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/623035655447252992

Actually sick if that while "saga" now tbh. Been going on far too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

How good is this guy? Is he Rojo standard? I've never watched him closely

It has been going on so long due to the Copa America, then his holidays, and United trying to lower his price.
    Last week of his holidays so movement finally, it seems.

Trilla wrote: »
    How good is this guy? Is he Rojo standard? I've never watched him closely

He made La Liga team of the year.
    Marca had him in their team of the week most weeks.
    Regular for Argentina.
    Scored 6 goals last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that Ed & Addidas want a really big signing. BS made a media splash but I am sure that Ed wants the club to have a Bale, Ronaldo level of player. It may seem like a lot of money but it would be recouped easily with the marketing opportunities.

I suspect that the Glaziers support this. It's in their interests to make United as big, in media terms, as RM & Barca. A superstar player would increase the value of the club & send out a marker.

Ronaldo sold his image right to Peter Lim who owns Valencia.

Santos Marquez, the agent of Iker Casillas had this to say:
    ‘Will anyone speak out in Madrid as to why Cristiano has sold his image rights to Peter Lim?’

‘That’s not normal; it suggests Cristiano is planning to leave.
    ‘Imagine Cristiano generating 40million euros elsewhere and giving it to Peter Lim, Valencia’s owner.
    ‘It ends up in Valencia’s coffers and that’s deplorable.’

Ronaldo to leave Real Madrid...???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

A good thing about the signings of Sneiderlin and Schweinsteiger and the departures of RVP and Falcow is that we won't be seeing Rooney in midfield next season.

I'd really like a decent CB but even the squad as it is, is an improvement on last year. Fingers crossed there won't be as many injuries this coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If United can get over £50 million for Angel Di Maria they should sell. I have no doubt he wants to leave now. It wouldn't even be on the radar of possible if he didn't want to go. United are waiting on PSG to pay up and probably for Di Maria to ask to leave.

I honestly think he is too soft for the Premier League. Watched him last year and he pulled out of every challenge which required physical contact with another player. Headers and all. I know it's probably no worse than what he is used to in Spain etc. but he definitely was wimping out of tackles.

I wouldn't be too quick to push ADM out the door unless we had a stellar replacement lined up. Whatever about his deficiencies in the PL, he could be a match winner in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Selling ADM would be a horrendous decision. Look at Fellaini's second season compared to his first. ADM will shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Korat wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too quick to push ADM out the door unless we had a stellar replacement lined up. Whatever about his deficiencies in the PL, he could be a match winner in the CL.

I don't think anyone is pushing him, I think he's the one making a beeline for the door.

I don't think anyone is pushing him, I think he's the one making a beeline for the door.

Well block the door and tell him to sit tight til X-mas, if he's still **** then he can go in January.

I'd really like to see what he can do for us in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ronaldo sold his image right to Peter Lim who owns Valencia.

Santos Marquez, the agent of Iker Casillas had this to say:
    ‘Will anyone speak out in Madrid as to why Cristiano has sold his image rights to Peter Lim?’

‘That’s not normal; it suggests Cristiano is planning to leave.
    ‘Imagine Cristiano generating 40million euros elsewhere and giving it to Peter Lim, Valencia’s owner.
    ‘It ends up in Valencia’s coffers and that’s deplorable.’

Ronaldo to leave Real Madrid...???

Or perhaps he's having a dig at RM over them conceding Cristiano's image rights to him in the last contract negotiations when they're worth so much and he's a bit sore about Iker being kicked out.

It's common enough for the teams to own the player's image rights and then depending on how high profile you are you can get a bigger slice of the %. But RM gave them up to Ronaldo afaik allowing him to let someone else other than RM handle them.

Well block the door and tell him to sit tight til X-mas, if he's still **** then he can go in January.

I'd really like to see what he can do for us in the Champions League.

And what if in that period his value drops by say £15-20m? What if he's causing hassle in the dressing room and making the atmosphere toxic? I'm not saying he will or any of this will happen but if he's made up his mind that he wants out and LVG doesn't like his attitude the what is the point in hanging on to him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And what if in that period his value drops by say £15-20m? What if he's causing hassle in the dressing room and making the atmosphere toxic? I'm not saying he will or any of this will happen but if he's made up his mind that he wants out and LVG doesn't like his attitude the what is the point in hanging on to him?

Yeah, would agree.

Also worth pointing out, no team will buy him in January if he's played in the CL, or certainly not for any significant amount. If he wants out, and we can recoup our money, **** it, let him go and move on. It's frustrating but we'll live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Bale won't go anywhere, why? Perez loves him too much. Perez thinks Bale is the best player in the world.

Iker Casillas rep's have been leaking information about the ex keepers treatment at the club and had this to say
    Do some players get treated differently?

Yes, his players. The squad knows who they are and so does the coach. The only clash he had with Ancelotti was over Bale. He thinks that Bale is the best in the world. He doesn’t know how to take care of the Ballon d’Or winner which he already has in the squad. Bale is going to play wherever he likes. Another is Benzema. He got rid of Higuaín, Di María, Del Bosque... none of whom were that bad, Del Bosque has won everything there is to win but what happened to him is what happened to me – he’s a not exactly a looker. So Florentino brought in a handsome bloke (Queiroz) who almost ruined the team.

Also with ADM to PSG there is a contract issue. PSG have offered 10m for 4 years, Mendes wants 12.5m a year

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/football/mercato-pourquoi-di-maria-n-est-pas-encore-au-psg-902599.html

Indy say ADM wants out be must submit a transfer request first

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/angel-di-maria-to-psg-argentina-winger-wants-to-leave-manchester-united--but-first-must-submit-transfer-request-10401046.html

Marca state we will offer 18m rising to 20m this week for Pedro and everything indicates a deal will take place.

http://www.marca.com/2015/07/19/futbol/equipos/barcelona/1437298401.html

Ogden and Jamie Jackson running with the story LVG will play 4-3-3 nest season with Rooney as the central striker

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11749838/Manchester-United-news-Louis-van-Gaal-will-use-4-3-3-this-season-with-Wayne-Rooney-as-his-central-striker.html

and Spurs want Chico

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/tottenham-idea-chicharito-hernandez-per-lattacco/

You could say the same about DDG.

Has ADM threatened to do a Raheem Sterling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

While I would be annoyed at ADM being sold, as surely he can recapture the form that had him firmly in the world class bracket, if United receive a substantial offer that reflects little loss after one season, I can understand why the club might go for it.

Not only was Di Maria being kept out of the team by Fellaini, there is now Schweinsteiger who can operate in that LCM role, along with Schneiderlan, so there plenty of options there for Van Gaal.

If he was sold, would expect his departure to be softened by another big name signing. We must also remember we arn't privy to whats going on behind closed doors, as much as the likes of Ogdon etc. will try make you believe they will(his new Rooney piece is laughable) it might be the case Di Maria isn't going to fit into the system, or is refusing to change his game, or fallen out with LVG, etc. etc.

It would make sense from a club point to sell him if they get a good offer, so there is no major depreciation if he has another bad season, and the funds can be used to further enhance the squad. If that's €50m that was unexpected, it could be partially attached onto existing bids that maybe have been rejected.

In regards Bale, while I was critical of him at large during his time at Totenham, watching him for Real only made me totally do a 180 and appreciate he is a fantastic player and has all the attributes to take over the mantle from Messi or Ronaldo when they finish. He is an incredible player and getting better and better.

If United signed him, and as outlandish as this next comment is, we would pretty much have wrapped up the title.

But Bale is very much Perez's poster boy, and won't be allowed leave, and will be accommodated in every way to become the main star in that team.

I don't buy into the Ronaldo stuff and don't believe he will ever return, but my god does there be stuff every summer that makes you think for a second

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    If he was sold, would expect his departure to be softened by another big name signing.

I'd say this would almost me guaranteed. If Woody loses his big star from last summer, I'd be shocked if he doesn't move for an even bigger one quickly.

Selling Di Maria would recoup most of what we've already spent, meaning we'd still have a massive warchest available to splurge on someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Casillas really has a chip on his shoulder.

He was saying Perez doesn't like black players.
    Casillas sounds like a spoilt child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think United have been fantastic this Summer with regard the transfer market. The signings have been kept quiet with minimum hassle. The outgoings have been kept low key and done with dignity.

I firmly believe both David De Gea and Angel Di Maria will be playing for another team this coming season but not before Manchester United get what they feel they deserve. Real Madrid and PSG have endless amounts of money and if they want our players they can pay good money for them.

We are taking the Daniel Levy approach. Tell the world the player is not for sale. Then sell at the last minute for bags of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Casillas's agent really has a chip on his shoulder.

Casillas's agent sounds like a spoilt child.

fixed for you....

His agent was saying that, and I'd say Perez will be looking at legal action over that.

It's a serious sour grapes comment to make, and while I wouldn't claim to be someone who knows the intricate workings of the club, and while I think in general its a horrible club, from years of watching Madrid I would never associated racism with their general fanbase or within the club hierarchy themselves.

Madrid have a recent history of not appreciating industrious critical defensive components in their midfield, to somehow say Makelele didnt work out because the President doesn't like black players is a horrendous misreading of the situation.

He just doesn't like defensive midfielders.

It's a real strange thing to say about an ex boss.
    Really have to wonder about these people and what they come up with.

Just bitch among your friends and leave it at that and don't be opening yourself for legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I donno but i sympathise with casillas i know he earning money blah blah he aint poor but he was longest serving member of madrid squad he was captain he put up with the attitude of the madrid fans for the past number of years booing him and dispite what people believe but he is still a top class keeper thats cspable of pulling off class saves.

He still pulled things around last season and had a very good season but yet he is sent packing from his club that he has served fairly professional over the years. I think any player should really be looking at how he is treated before joining madrid but obviously they dont they just see the oh madrid want me i must go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's a real strange thing to say about an ex boss.
    Really have to wonder about these people and what they come up with.

Just bitch among your friends and leave it at that and don't be opening yourself for legal action.

He didnt say it tho it was his agent said it. I think most of the stuff is coming from his agent and his parents not from himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

So.......

it looks like Romero will be signed this week to replace Valdes, DDG will probably stay on and leave for free next year and that will be one of the "two key areas" that VG spoke about last week sorted.

The noises in the press this morning would seem to suggest he's not looking for another striker which would say to me the focus will be on a right sided CB to play alongside either Rojo or Blind (he's also talking up Blind as a CB).

I'd be happy if this were to outcome for the summer. Fixed defence, fixed midfield and with Chico back and De Pay on board looking reasonable up front. Still reckon Rooney to get 20+ is a big risk but would take a chance on it for the season and if that's the only area needing strengthening next summer (and a DDG replacement) then we're in a great position.

So Romero and Ramos/Otamendi please in the next few weeks.

Blind will never be able to play centre half against decent level opposition.

Positionally he'd be ok but physically he'd get destroyed. His lack of pace would worry me greatly as well.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I donno but i sympathise with casillas i know he earning money blah blah he aint poor but he was longest serving member of madrid squad he was captain he put up with the attitude of the madrid fans for the past number of years booing him and dispite what people believe but he is still a top class keeper thats cspable of pulling off class saves.

He still pulled things around last season and had a very good season but yet he is sent packing from his club that he has served fairly professional over the years. I think any player should really be looking at how he is treated before joining madrid but obviously they dont they just see the oh madrid want me i must go.

I know they made a b*lls of his leaving but every player gets to the point where they'll be replaced. DDG's availability, the fact that he's from Madrid (albeit an ex-Athletico player) and coming off the season he just did meant that the time had come for Casillas to move on. He's making the most of the sympathy he's getting because of all that happened last weekend but surely he realised his number was up when he watched DDG in action last season?

Trond wrote: »
    Blind will never be able to play centre half against decent level opposition.

Positionally he'd be ok but physically he'd get destroyed. His lack of pace would worry me greatly as well.

Totally agree but VG seems to putting it out there - maybe to placate Blind now that his chances of starting in midfield now appear a hell of a lot less.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Totally agree but VG seems to putting it out there - maybe to placate Blind now that his chances of starting in midfield now appear a hell of a lot less.

He actually did very well at left back for a couple of matches which surprised me.

He'll end up as a sexier version of John o Shea/ P Neville long term....

He actually did very well at left back for a couple of matches which surprised me.

He did but again I think Shaw will make LB his own this season, injuries permitting.

Reckon you're right - he'll become the Phil Neville of this generation (Jones will be the right side version)

That totally undervalues his qualities.

While there are plenty of people who think he is a squad player at best, I rate him much higher. No doubt the arrival of Schweinsteiger drops him down the pecking order, I don't immediately think he is behind Schneiderlan.

He is a very good DM who came into a struggling side going through numerous changes in personal, injuries and systems. A lot of people seem to offer this as an excuse for Van Persie, Falcao, Rooney and others, but Blind doesn't seem to be getting offered the same benefit.

In arguebly a more difficult position, screening the front 4 in a new league, and during a point last season where teams were running through onto him, in numbers, at will.

Versatility is part of his benefits, but he is just an intelligent player who simply understands how to read a game and understands what Van Gaal is doing and wants.

Actually somewhat insulting to put him in that bracket, he is far superior to O'Shea or Neville and I'm sure as time progress' he will show that.

Be interesting to see how the pre-season develops. Surely a left sided CB is going to come in, and be a starter in that position. I think Blind is probably first choice LB, and Shaw will have some work to do.

Rojo looks like someone who could be frustrated most this coming season. A player I really like, has great heart and a bit old school. Versatile in being able to play LB and LCB.

Shaw will most likely win out being that he is a specialised LB, but he has plenty of work to do to figure as regular first teamer imo.

Think you are misunderstanding what he said.
    He didn't say blind was going to play there, he said he can, but so can rojo.

He didn't say yes blind will be center back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I do still think he deserved a send off after all his appearances and trophies as a youth team product who also played in goals for all of Spain's successes, but he has come over terribly the last few years. His parents even came out and said what a shame it was how Madrid just let him go, but way more damningly, how sad it was he had to play for Porto because the league and team are just 'so far below his standards'. Now I now it is not always the case, but players do frequently 'speak through' family members and if that was the case here... wow. If not, it is still incredible that Iker or his agent didn't get them vetted, or that his parents would say something so stupid and offensive to his new teams' fans. It's not as if Porto are some tiny, unheard of club after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

So.......

it looks like Romero will be signed this week to replace Valdes, DDG will probably stay on and leave for free next year and that will be one of the "two key areas" that VG spoke about last week sorted.

The noises in the press this morning would seem to suggest he's not looking for another striker which would say to me the focus will be on a right sided CB to play alongside either Rojo or Blind (he's also talking up Blind as a CB).

I'd be happy if this were to outcome for the summer. Fixed defence, fixed midfield and with Chico back and De Pay on board looking reasonable up front. Still reckon Rooney to get 20+ is a big risk but would take a chance on it for the season and if that's the only area needing strengthening next summer (and a DDG replacement) then we're in a great position.

So Romero and Ramos/Otamendi please in the next few weeks.

I'm hoping that romero is not one of the 2 positions LvG was talking about. hard to get excited about a backup keeper.

I'd also be a bit worried if we went into this season with rooney, little pea and wilson as the only strikers. if rooney gets injured we'd be in big trouble. hernandez has not been scoring as many as he used to and wilson is still not proven.

Think you are misunderstanding what he said.
    He didn't say blind was going to play there, he said he can, but so can rojo.

He didn't say yes blind will be center back

That's exactly how I understood it but the fact that he's saying it means he's putting it out there - that either Blind or Rojo can fill the LCB position.

I think his preference will be Rojo which means that Blind then becomes a utility player who can fill in at DM, LCB or LB.

I think he's happy with his options at LCB - its the far side he wants the strengthen.

magnumbud wrote: »
    I'm hoping that romero is not one of the 2 positions LvG was talking about. hard to get excited about a backup keeper.

I'd also be a bit worried if we went into this season with rooney, little pea and wilson as the only strikers. if rooney gets injured we'd be in big trouble. hernandez has not been scoring as many as he used to and wilson is still not proven.

Agree - it is hard to get excited about 2 more signings if one of them is the reserve keeper but I'd say that's the case.

With you also on the strike force but if it came down to it and there was to be only one further signing I'd rather take a chance with Rooney/Chico/Mata/ADM/De Pay forward options than Jones/Smalling RCB options.

Also don't know if it was mentioned here, but Madrid posted their squad numbers for next season on their website last night, with Navas down as #1 and their new keeper as #13.

all of a sudden De Gea has gone from certainty to leave, to near certainty to stay. Past the point for me where he would be sold.

Keeping him for another year would be incredible, and really good work from the club being firm. And gives every chance to convince him to stay longer and sign a new deal. Hopefully the fans play their part next season showing him what he will lose if he goes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think his preference will be Rojo which means that Blind then becomes a utility player who can fill in at DM, LCB or LB.

It's great to have a good backup option - John O'Shea figures are important. Better than having a Buttner, or a central defender pushed out wide, or Carrick filling in at CB, or a Cleverley trying to replace Carrick in DM. One player who isn't first choice, but can do a decent job in three or four positions, is very useful.

• Advertisement

That's exactly how I understood it but the fact that he's saying it means he's putting it out there - that either Blind or Rojo can fill the LCB position.

I think he's happy with his options at LCB - its the far side he wants the strengthen.

When rojo was injured he played jones and Smalling.
    Blind is able to play there, but in an emergency, I don't see him getting coked ahead of the current lads.

He might start in a game where utd expect 70% possession so can step into midfield and Schweinsteiger can push up and play one at the back like we did for large parts of games last year.

Himself and Fellaini are perfect squad members that are needed to change tactics up.

I'd imagine that his comments where in terms of should injuries play their part, Blind and Rojo can play that LCB role, as they are naturally left footed.

Fully expect a new LCB to be signed.

You could say the same about DDG.

Has ADM threatened to do a Raheem Sterling?

You could alright, many do. With DDG there's obviously other dynamics at play. (One year left on deal, power-play with Real, a significantly smaller investment than ADM etc.)

We don't know what Di Maria has been like, just the usual rumours in the rags. That's why I used "what if" so many times. IF he is acting the bollocks trying to secure a move away then the club should entertain bids that aren't too far off what we paid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Keeping him for another year would be incredible, and really good work from the club being firm. And gives every chance to convince him to stay longer and sign a new deal. Hopefully the fans play their part next season showing him what he will lose if he goes/

United need to knock Real out of the CL and show him what he'll get if he goes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That totally undervalues his qualities.

While there are plenty of people who think he is a squad player at best, I rate him much higher. No doubt the arrival of Schweinsteiger drops him down the pecking order, I don't immediately think he is behind Schneiderlan.
    I would say he (Blind) is unquestionably behind Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick in the DM/CM spots. I like Blind despite some of his deficiencies, but on this matter I don't really even think it is all that close. He has a shot at LB this season, but much of that has to do with it currently being a bit of a weak spot as Rojo is not a LB, Young is 30 as well as new enough to the position and was merely 'decent' last season rather than a stand out, and Shaw only turned 20 last Sunday while having a good bit of a developing to do still, both physically and mentally.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement