Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Can we have a sweepstakes to guess the name of the striker :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG when asked about Ramos "I cannot talk about these rumours, I have said already in a lot of press conferences, it's a process, and maybe Mr Ramos is in the process, you never know".

When asked if Rooney was in danger of getting injured at Duncan Fergusin's testimonial.
    "He could also fall off the stairs".

I call Ronaldo, Louis said upto September 1st, gives Cristiano time to break records at Madrid,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Maybe Mr Ramos is in the process."

"It’s not the striker that the media has written. Wait and see."

We've become very soap opera-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Maybe Mr Ramos is in the process."

"It’s not the striker that the media has written. Wait and see."

We've become very soap opera-ish.

I love it, fantastic to see us giving two fingers to the media all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Who else could it be but Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

kippy wrote: »
    Who else could it be but Aguero.

Shane Long?

The revelation that Darmian is backup RB is startling but I guess he is just giving Valencia an opportunity to keep his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'll call it now.. Antoine Griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm gonna say Benzema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I'm gonna say Benzema.

He is a striker I want in a United Shirt

• Advertisement

Mr Mike Smalling :pac:

People are gonna lose their shìt over the Darmian comments

Edit: Imagine the surprise Striker was Benteke. He hasn't been confirmed by pool yet has he.. that would be some laugh :pac:

Van Gaal stated that Darmian, the Italy right-back bought for £12.7m from Torino, will start as back-up. “We have brought Darmian for the second position behind [Antonio] Valencia and now already because of that injury [Paddy] McNair has to play there,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/21/manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-happy-with-new-signings-balance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Either people's valuations of players have gone way up or Muller is being wildly overrated here.

I have a feeling he's this summers Vidal, transfer rumour driven the desire of fans rather than anything concrete actually happening.

astradave wrote: »
    Mr Mike Smalling :pac:

People are gonna lose their shìt over the Darmian comments

hopefully it is a bit of bluffing - but it could also be the cae that LVG expects it will take Darmian time to adapt to both the league and what LVG demands of his players, so he can't go in as first choice immediately - he will have to adapt and fight for the place. Hopefully he is given a decent crack at winning a place at RB and does it, cause another season of Valencia as first choice and I'll lose my sh1t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads I got it.... Its nick bendtner cant believe we didn't think of it before.

hopefully it is a bit of bluffing - but it could also be the cae that LVG expects it will take Darmian time to adapt to both the league and what LVG demands of his players, so he can't go in as first choice immediately - he will have to adapt and fight for the place. Hopefully he is given a decent crack at winning a place at RB and does it, cause another season of Valencia as first choice and I'll lose my sh1t!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that LVG has hinted that it would take 3 of the signings time to adjust so they won't be starters straight away. I think Schneiderlin is the only one that will come straight in to the team from the start and he will phase the rest in over the first few matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's nothing in those comments about Darmian being second choice RB - of course he is, Valencia played the whole season there, and LVG hasn't had a proper look at Darmian yet, stands to reason that he's count the current pick as first choice and the new guy still to prove he deserves game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Andy Mitten's latest piece saying interest in Otamendi has cooled, still after Ramos and Pedro......

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2529122/manchester-united-spanish-ander-herrera-victor-valdes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

There's nothing in those comments about Darmian being second choice RB - of course he is, Valencia played the whole season there, and LVG hasn't had a proper look at Darmian yet, stands to reason that he's count the current pick as first choice and the new guy still to prove he deserves game time.

I'd agree with this. He knows Valencia and he trusts him. Once Darmian builds that trust he should get game time ahead of Valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads it definitely Mueller that we're looking at and a deal involving Di Maria is being worked on to soften the blow of his departure from Bavaria

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Andy Mitten's latest piece saying interest in Otamendi has cooled, still after Ramos and Pedro......

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2529122/manchester-united-spanish-ander-herrera-victor-valdes

Unless he simply doesn't want to join Utd, what would be blocking the deal for Pedro? He's a relatively low buyout clause doesn't he?

I think he'd be a top quality signing.

Edit - Wiki is suggesting he renewed his contract with Barca last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i'm calling it. the surprise striker is messi

Unless he simply doesn't want to join Utd, what would be blocking the deal for Pedro? He's a relatively low buyout clause doesn't he?

I think LvG might want a few more players out before he gets his last few signings in

We've Memphis, Mata, Di Maria, Janujaz, Perreira, Young (Fellaini!!!) all competing for the AMF slots, so maybe he's looking at selling and/or loaning out one or two of them first.. before he brings in Pedro and or the "Surprise striker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Indeed he did but his buyout was lowered to €22m afaik. If we meet the clause we can speak to him freely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Zlatan???

With the amount of strikers we have been linked to it would be impressive if there was someone else they were working on.

dahat wrote: »
    Zlatan???

I called dibs on Zlatan 10 days ago when Darmian was driving the
    #PositivityTrain
    #Choo****ingChoo

well - he said Darmian was bought for the second position behind Valencia - which clearly states he has been bought to be second choice.

As I say I hope it is bluster and more a nod to the time needed to adapt, but I don't get how you can say there is nothing in the comments about him being second choice.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    With the amount of strikers we have been linked to it would be impressive if there was someone else they were working on.

Huntelaar...
    its been a while since we were linked with him...

Or

OMG this excites me

DIRK KUYT

• Advertisement

Just on this: Reports in Spain are suggesting that he is on his way

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/623399385087483904

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/623400619026550784

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/623401795323346945

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

the surprise striker is ramos is going to sign and be played up front

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Well well well LVG, so its not somebody we have been linked with.

So that leaves i think 3 possibilities.

There going to be addidas players aswell.

Messi, Higuin or Benzema.

Choo Choo for either of those apart from Higuin

Edit: could be Griesman

Very worrying if the interst in Otamendi has cooled - as I would be shocked if we can get Ramos from Madrid; going into this season with the same CB selection as last season would be a disaster imo.

We need to add a CB and an attacking player - if we don't sign two quality players in those roles this window will have been a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I said last week Valencia will start as right back.
    Do I get internet points now?

Darmien isn't fluent in English so how is he going to understand the tactics 100% while Valencia can.
    Lvg knows what Valencia can do, he does not know how Darmien will play or adapt.

I would take lvgs judgement of Valencia over ours.
    I reckon Valencia will start for a while and Darmien will be integrated in slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    There going to be addidas players aswell.

like Memphis DePay and Matteo Darmian?

Very worrying if the interst in Otamendi has cooled - as I would be shocked if we can get Ramos from Madrid; going into this season with the same CB selection as last season would be a disaster imo.

We need to add a CB and an attacking player - if we don't sign two quality players in those roles this window will have been a failure.

Failure may be a bit strong? I agree a CB is a priority but sorting the midfield after years of decay has to count for something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

RayCun wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Rumours are we were never interested in him; similar to Gaitan it was Valencia driving the rumours who want the cash to upgrade their stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I don't think it's a striker. Coupled with the left footed CB comments, and the talk of Otamendi interest cooling, i think it could be Laporte.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

1 quality CB isnt enough to win the league but would allow us to "challenge" but come up short. Too many people are putting faith in Smalling because he showed a bit of form. He shouldnt be first choice at Man Utd. I think we will sign one this year and one next year with Evans and Jones leaving. Giving a contract to Jones is more than likely trying to get a somewhat decent price for him next summer

The betting markets are going with Reus to Real Madrid as his odds continue to fall. While in tandem, the odds of Ronaldo joining United are also continuing to fall.

Both players have seen a steady reduction in their odds to take them from:
    Reus: 12/1 to 5/2.
    Ronaldo: 7/1 to 4/1.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Failure may be a bit strong? I agree a CB is a priority but sorting the midfield after years of decay has to count for something?

Sorting the midfield while weakening the attack and not getting the defence up to standard will count for little when the trophies are handed out at the end of the season, imo.

It would be a case of good try, but not enough, if the transfers in ended now.

RayCun wrote: »

Addidas deal isnt in place yet and neither of them are marquee signings.

To spent 50m plus on a player, your nearly sure that he will be an addidas player and wont be signed until the day of the Addidas deal begins.

Could be wrong, but addidas are going to want that special signing to show off the new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Cant understand why any player would wnat to join an odious club like Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Surprise striker we haven't been linked with...can only think of Zlatan and Ronaldo .

If it turns out to be someone we have been linked with like Harry Kane I'm going to go into work and punch Lenny in the back of the head

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Addidas deal isnt in place yet and neither of them are marquee signings.

To spent 50m plus on a player, your nearly sure that he will be an addidas player and wont be signed until the day of the Addidas deal begins.

Could be wrong, but addidas are going to want that special signing to show off the new kit.
    We had a record deal for years with Nike and it never seemed to effect the players we signed so I don't think the adidas deal will do so either. At the end of the day, i'd say adidas would love to parade Ronaldo in the new adidas kit if given the chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kstand wrote: »
    Cant understand why any player would wnat to join an odious club like Real Madrid.

Bigger chances of winning things, lots of money, lots of fame, work with world class tier players, nicer living conditions in Spain.

kstand wrote: »

Plenty of money.
    Living in Madrid.
    Challenging for the league title.
    Challenging for the Champions League.

Yep, I'd have my reservations about the club but there are a lot of good reasons to sign for them.

• Advertisement

Well just have to wait and find out i suppose.

Hope it actually turns out to be a beast of a player

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement