Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It would be a case of good try, but not enough, if the transfers in ended now.

Do you honestly think that this will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

kstand wrote: »
    Cant understand why any player would wnat to join an odious club like Real Madrid.

I blame billionaire Florentino Perez for how the club is perceived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that this will happen?

I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to sign Ramos and taking a Ramos or nothing approach (which will result in nothing).

As for the attacking line - last week I'd have thought there zero chance of us not doing something, but my pessimistic side is taking over with talk of the club being happy to go with the current attacking players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bigger chances of winning things

Haven't they won fewer trophies since Ronaldo moved than United? Or was that a lie?

Haven't they won fewer trophies since Ronaldo moved than United? Or was that a lie?

Chance doesn't mean success though.

Who is more likely to win their league this season, United or Real?
    Who is more likely to win the CL this season, United or Real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

surprise striker list....

Benzema
    Sakho

Dzeko

Lewandowski

????

exciting times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

bangkok wrote: »
    surprise striker list....

Benzema
    Sakho

Dzeko

Lewandowski

????

exciting times

Its Berahino with Fellaini going the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Zlatan?

That would be a surprise. Insufferable twat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Christ I hope it's not Zlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Think LVG is just playing games; trying to wind up the journalists who keep asking him the same questions over and over

• Advertisement

Think LVG is just playing games; trying to wind up the journalists who keep asking him the same questions over and over

Its embarrassing though. The club should just say nothing and go about their business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Tugboats wrote: »
    Its embarrassing though. The club should just say nothing and go about their business

how is it embarrassing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Korat wrote: »
    Zlatan?

That would be a surprise. Insufferable twat though.

No thanks. Awesome player but arrogance would get him ****ed out within the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What are you on about?

They are saying nothing and doing business?
    What's embarrassing?

It's more embarrassing for you you to be embarrassed by all this. Scarleh for your ma for having ya.

magnumbud wrote: »
    how is it embarrassing?

'playing games' with journalists on pre season tour is pretty sad. The media shouldn't even be on his mind

What are you on about?

What's embarrassing?

It's more embarrassing for you you to be embarrassed by all this. Scarleh for your ma for having ya.

Lol

What are you on about?

What's embarrassing?

“He is in the process,” “It's not the striker the media has written about. You have to wait and see"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The talk that we were happy with our attacking options would leave me to believe that it won't be a big name bought.

Plus the reports of us playing one central striker this season and Rooney there to fill that role.

'playing games' with journalists on pre season tour is pretty sad. The media shouldn't even be on his mind

They quite clearly are not. He is on the medias mind though.

What do you want him to do? Email them all the transfer work?

He has been in this business for a long time. He has the right to not give a **** about the media.
    Even artists play with the media and make stuff up to see what gets published.

“He is in the process,” “It's not the striker the media has written about. You have to wait and see"

What's embarrassing about that? Honestly?

He is saying they are talking to a club and a player, what gives you the right to know who it is when it's not a done deal.
    That's not how business gets done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Watch this space...

Diego Alves to replace DDG. Mark my words😄

What's embarrassing about that? Honestly?

He is saying they are talking to a club and a player, what gives you the right to know who it is when it's not a done deal.
    That's not how business gets done.

I dont want to know who it is:confused: I was making my point because someone said he said that to play games with the media. Saying nothing is better than saying what he said

I dont want to know who it is:confused: I was making my point because someone said he said that to play games with the media. Saying nothing is better than saying what he said

But he did say nothing??

I'm gonna assume you are embarrassed by all of lvgs actions throughout the season?
    If so, you're easily embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

rightyabe wrote: »
    Watch this space...

Diego Alves to replace DDG. Mark my words😄

He has a torn ACL no? plus he is 30 now, might not come back from that one the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I dont think he is.

Hes asked the same questions every single day.

" Heard your looking to sign Cech, Ramos, Hummels, Otamendi, Clyne, Coentrao, Gundogan, Benzema, Higuain, Bacca, Bale, Firmino, Sterling, Vidal, Pogba, Boateng, Varane, Marquinoa, Alves, Strootman, Cavani, Ings, Berahino "

IF he says no the stories keep going around.

When he takes the piss out of the Media they get embarrassed as you can see in the Pressers.

Shows them up for printing bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

over in america, answering all the questions he is asked, having a bit of fun, whats sad about that?

we did unbelievable business so far this summer and have a striker on the way in, van gaal is dead right for being in a good mood.

50% of this trip is media related, thats the whole point of the tour. Sell shirts, raise awareness and get the players fit.

If you think thats sad.... well

SHAME

SHAME

SHAME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think its going to be Ricky Lambert! or is Heskey still playing?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    The talk that we were happy with our attacking options would leave me to believe that it won't be a big name bought.

Plus the reports of us playing one central striker this season and Rooney there to fill that role.

it could be talk with regards to actual strikers - with a wide forward/winger being the target (Bale/Ronaldo type player)

My issue with playing games with the media (and I don' think he is) is that the media is one of fews lines of communication with the fans a club has; by messing with the media he would be messing with the fans at the same time.

• Advertisement

it could be talk with regards to actual strikers - with a wide forward/winger being the target (Bale/Ronaldo type player)

That's what I'm hoping.

.............Madrid buy Reus and we snap up Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

My issue with playing games with the media (and I don' think he is) is that the media is one of fews lines of communication with the fans a club has; by messing with the media he would be messing with the fans at the same time.

Media don't even publish what managers and players say, they twist the words and use it out of context to make news.

Recent example was Schweinsteiger.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping.

.............Madrid buy Reus and we snap up Bale

I would say Ronaldo an easier buy. Bale is a pet project of the current president, Ronado was not. I think Madrid would sooner sell Ronaldo.

I did read a while back that Bale was a target for this summer, with a move only possible in August - and that he wants to move home due to family reasons. I don't put much weight behind them myself cause everything coming from Madrid this summer has Bale as a key player and possibly centre piece of their side (which leads me to think Ronaldo or Benzema will leave)

No, they would be messing with idiots.

f'uck the media!

No, they would be messing with idiots.

I guess I'm just not as much of an elite-est when it comes to fandom....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Who the fuqs the mystery new boy. The only player the media haven't speculated on is Balotelli.

(eek)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Well the pre season tour to America is hugely about promoting the club, growing the fan base, selling merchandise, gaining income from sponsors, if you expect to do that without the manager talking to the press it will be tough.

The whole tour is a media heavy thing, so of course media will be on his mind. Nothing sad about VG "playing games" with journalists, he always does this. I'd be more worried if he was cagey and refused to talk to them.

So just sit back relax and let Louis have his fun
    100349826_3134863.jpg?20140502223556

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Torres

I would say Ronaldo an easier buy. Bale is a pet project of the current president, Ronado was not. I think Madrid would sooner sell Ronaldo.

I did read a while back that Bale was a target for this summer, with a move only possible in August - and that he wants to move home due to family reasons. I don't put much weight behind them myself cause everything coming from Madrid this summer has Bale as a key player and possibly centre piece of their side (which leads me to think Ronaldo or Benzema will leave)

Yep it does look that way. But tbh, I think I'd rather Bale at this stage, blasphemous as that may be to say. Perez does like him but a £100 million bid may shake things up a bit. He offloads a player that the fans aren't totally enamoured with, makes a tidy profit, and then spends half of it on Di Maria or Reus and the other half on Paul Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Who the fuqs the mystery new boy. The only player the media haven't speculated on is Balotelli.

(eek)

It will be like some tv show!

Will Louis and Ed solve the mystery in time for the start of the new season? Will we find out who the masked man is?! Cavani? Hiquain? Stokes? Tune in next week to find out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

magnumbud wrote: »
    the surprise striker is ramos is going to sign and be played up front

A front two of Ramos and Fellaini would cause problems for any defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

How can one not trust a man who does this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7DDdkwvbf44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Any striker worth it has been mentioned in the media. Who they gonna sign? Robbie Keane?????

py2006 wrote: »
    Any striker worth it has been mentioned in the media. Who they gonna sign? Robbie Keane?????

He could be refering simply to the Muller stories, so we are signing a striker that isn't Muller and thats all he means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Messi's buyout clause is €250 MILLION EUROS, IF United were interested in Messi, Woodward would literally have to break the bank and in turn set a new world record transfer fee...

(for the sh1tz & giggles)
    €250m, at today's exchange rate,
    £175M, less £50 for ADM
    £125M.
    Not unobtainable at all from a transfer fee perspective, but,

Would he want to leave Barcelona to go to England? I seriously doubt it.
    Would United pay the wages needed for him, I'd imagine it would want to be at least £400,000 a week. Possible, but unlikely.
    More significantly, Barcelona would be unable to replace him this season. Even if the clause is met and therefore he can then leave, I doubt he would go when they can't get replacements.

If United are after a stellar signing, then Bale or Ronaldo would seem more likely, despite the DDG/SR transfer sagas.
    If I had the choice, I'd go for Bale, but I think Ronaldo may be more likely for no other reason than LVG's comments about it being someone the reporters are not linking (if such a person actually exists) to us.

Outside of that,
    Muller, can't see BM selling, he may be interested in joining but the reported transfer fee would be excessive.
    Lewandowski(?) less likely than Muller for the same reasons.
    Suarez/Neymar/Aguero - No chance for many reasons.
    Cavani/Ibrahimovich(?) - possible with a ADM transfer, but swap deals are rarer than hens teeth, even concurrent transfers (is there even a term for transfers between clubs in opposite directions not classed as swaps?) are far and few between.

tl;dr
    If United are not able to deal with Madrid for a forward, then it will indeed be a 'shurphrize' of a forward who is signed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Summer tour to the USA.
    A striker we haven't been linked with in the media.
    Fans looking for an experienced player to have the Henrik Larsson effect.

It can only mean one thing, lads.

Van Gaal is calling Landon Donovan out of retirement. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd be more inclined to look at (for lack of a better term) "lesser" players if we're trying to guess the striker. If Rooney is our main man this season, then we're probably looking at a backup striker, which means it's far easier to come up with a list of strikers the media haven't linked to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Will probably turn out to be Berahinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

#BringBackBerbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Schwiiing wrote: »
    #BringBackBerbatov

Isn't he an Adidas player?
    You could be on to something.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement