Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to look at (for lack of a better term) "lesser" players if we're trying to guess the striker. If Rooney is our main man this season, then we're probably looking at a backup striker, which means it's far easier to come up with a list of strikers the media haven't linked to us.

How to feel about Rooney being the main man? Personally I think the club made a huge mistake with his new contract but I guess they felt vulnerable after Fergie retired. I think Van Gaal made the problem worse by making him captain. Man Utd shouldn't be settling for Wayne Rooney and looking for back up options but it looks like thats the situation were in for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

been away from it all for a while.....

Is there any truth to the Bale rumors from a few days ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Positivity Train could be about to go into Overdrive.
    I do hope we get a excellent CB though.
    Choo chooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Tugboats wrote: »
    How to feel about Rooney being the main man? Personally I think the club made a huge mistake with his new contract but I guess they felt vulnerable after Fergie retired. I think Van Gaal made the problem worse by making him captain. Man Utd shouldn't be settling for Wayne Rooney and looking for back up options but it looks like thats the situation were in for the foreseeable future

Rooney will be our all time top goalscorer by this time next year and probably alot sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

watching youtube clips of our stacked midfield players :D

i love morgans style great player

ericzeking wrote: »
    Rooney will be our all time top goalscorer by this time next year and probably alot sooner

Are you happy with Wayne Rooney leading the line for Man Utd going forward? Fergie wasnt 3 years ago when he brought in RVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Rooney has been, and is our best attacker.
    You won't find many out there better than him.
    He is behind the other elite strikers.
    He is the most committed player on the pitch.
    To think otherwise is silly, and it just looks like you are drumming up the club is incompetent and can't see Rooney is the worst rhetoric.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are you happy with Wayne Rooney leading the line for Man Utd going forward? Fergie wasnt 3 years ago when he brought in RVP

Yet the season previously Rooney had scored 34 goals leading the line. RVP was signed because Fergie didn't think there were enough goals in the team, not because Rooney wasn't scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Yep...as a main striker there are very few better out there. He scored 30 something goals the last time he played up front for the whole season and our best form last season was with him up front. It's not even worth a thought.

Fergie played with 2 strikers a lot, so buying RVP was no reflection on Rooneys ability. Plus Fergie just loved buying strikers full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

paulbok wrote: »
    (for the sh1tz & giggles)
    €250m, at today's exchange rate,
    £175M, less £50 for ADM
    £125M.
    Not unobtainable at all from a transfer fee perspective, but,

Would he want to leave Barcelona to go to England? I seriously doubt it.
    Would United pay the wages needed for him, I'd imagine it would want to be at least £400,000 a week. Possible, but unlikely.
    More significantly, Barcelona would be unable to replace him this season. Even if the clause is met and therefore he can then leave, I doubt he would go when they can't get replacements.

If United are after a stellar signing, then Bale or Ronaldo would seem more likely, despite the DDG/SR transfer sagas.
    If I had the choice, I'd go for Bale, but I think Ronaldo may be more likely for no other reason than LVG's comments about it being someone the reporters are not linking (if such a person actually exists) to us.

Outside of that,
    Muller, can't see BM selling, he may be interested in joining but the reported transfer fee would be excessive.
    Lewandowski(?) less likely than Muller for the same reasons.
    Suarez/Neymar/Aguero - No chance for many reasons.
    Cavani/Ibrahimovich(?) - possible with a ADM transfer, but swap deals are rarer than hens teeth, even concurrent transfers (is there even a term for transfers between clubs in opposite directions not classed as swaps?) are far and few between.

tl;dr
    If United are not able to deal with Madrid for a forward, then it will indeed be a 'shurphrize' of a forward who is signed.

I and probably everyone else here would be orgasmic with joy IF Messi were to don the famous red shirt of United, though it would only happen in a fantasy world or FIFA games. Even on FIFA it's pain trying to sign him :pac:, i've tried.

Messi, i highly doubt he'd want to leave Barcelona, and if he did his wages would be astronomically high, not to mention image rights and what not, Messi would the club's highest earner per week IF he did decide, ya know what I want a new challenge, i want to join Manchester United, his wages would dwarf Rooney's by a mile.

In terms of a surprise signing, Bale or Ronaldo would be the most ideal, Ronaldo if he were to come back home so to speak would be welcomed back with open arms after his brilliant 6 years prior to swanning off to Madrid...

And if De Gea were to go this summer, Ramos & Bale & cash would be a sweet deal.

I can't see Muller wanting to leave Munich, there'd be riots if he left the same Summer as Schweinsteiger Still can't believe we've signed Schweinsteiger, Lewandowski would be in the same boat as Muller, riots if he left.

Suarez would never join United - Because Liverpool, that rivalry has enough fuel on it. Neymar is unlikely, Aguero - **** no.

Cavani could be another Falcao if he signed, Ibrahimovic wouldn't gel because Ibrahimovic.. Would rather United keep hold of Di Maria.

Though if were talking surprise signings and not necessarily a big name so to speak, Borussia Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would be a surprise, or even Lyon's Alexandre Lacazette.

There's 5 weeks left in the summer window, guess we're just gonna have to wait and see who else the club signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Who's realistically available that's better than Rooney up front on they're own ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

ianob7 wrote: »
    Who's realistically available that's better than Rooney up front on they're own ???

Kate Upton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The new cf will be Huntalar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads, I occasionally read the megathreads and say nothing but this needs to be said.

This signing an Adidas player is absolute crap. They are not gonna pick a player because he's an Adidas sponsor. They're gonna pick a player who is best fit for United. That Adidas deal is signed and sealed, there's not gonna be an agreement that they spunk 50m on an Adidas player or that they'll do it for good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

If hes actually a real player then the signing could be Leandro Damiao :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ianob7 wrote: »

Hayley McQueen and Scarlett JOhannsen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The new cf will be Huntalar

I'm going for bas dost, he's Dutch and van gaal likes him from what I can gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

im gonna say Benzema...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I would say Berahino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

the tabloids have gone into overdrive now trying to guess who the striker is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Bebe's coming home. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

berbatov-dreams.jpg

he is free at the moment

JamboMac wrote: »
    I'm going for bas dost, he's Dutch and van gaal likes him from what I can gather.

Because being Dutch matters?

What about the Dutch captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Where did he speak about Dost? Would be surprised if it was him, a run of great games which masked an average player IMO. He hit a purple patch and by the end of the season was replaced by Bendtner.

Because being Dutch matters?

What about the Dutch captain?

Van gaal did call him up to the national team before he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

The name Ibrahimovic keeps popping into my head. I think Fergie would have gone for him if he got him on the relative cheap for the last two years of his playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Van Gaal just taking the piss?

What did he say, we are in discussions with a striker that no one has been close about?

Do odds change much in pre season based on signings? The bookies have us down for 4th again. At the moment I think that's about right but there seems to be much more optimism amongst some fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Berbatov in a Van Gaal team playing with Herrera, Mata and Depay makes me weak at the knees.

Was wasted so bad by Fergie, probably too late for him now, but what a striker he'd be in this setup.

Zlatan would be ****ing ridiculous. His game isn't based on pace and he keeps himself in outragous condition, so there is some years left in the tank. Would wrap up best transfer window ever for me (have a thing for mercurial strikers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

never thought about Morata, i like him.

but realistically from that list, id say Huntelaar.

Would there be any truth in what Paddy Crerand said on MUTV last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Was just in the process of doing my own list of players that we haven't been heavily linked with

Lacazette
    Griezmann
    Icardi were ones mentioned in that article.

Other options include:
    Gignac
    Austin
    Menez
    Fekir
    Berahino

None of which I think would suit LVG. There is a real lack of top strikers, doing the rounds. I think out of that second bunch Fekir could be a left field buy but LVG is probably just taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lithium93_ wrote: »

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Do odds change much in pre season based on signings? The bookies have us down for 4th again. At the moment I think that's about right but there seems to be much more optimism amongst some fans.

Odds change all the time based on betting.

With a dramatically improved midfield you'd expect extra points on the board, so 4th seems a bit pessimistic. Still, probably another signing or two needed.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What did he say?

This is what he said... I'm hoping something massive is in the works.

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/623199145369604096

Not sure how close paddy is to the new regime but he was great years ago for gossiping to fans about the club on pre season tours before being carried back to the hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He's sold the media this one because he's in pursuit of a Central Defender.
    Get the media talking about which striker will sign for Utd.
    Genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Honestly, what answer are you expecting here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How bad is the bad blood between LVG and Zlatan? Would love that signing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

All the tweeters under Paddys tweet about us being for a "big surprise in the next 7-10 days" seem convinced Ronaldo's on his way😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Madrid haven't signed any Galactico's yet this summer but rumor has it there about to beat Liverpool to Reus for 46m after Liverpool want to re-invest the sterling cash.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-liverpool-miss-marco-reus-061821958--sow.html

If any of that is true why the hell are we not in for him? Reus would excite me much more than Muller.

The daily star say Cillessen has agreed to join UTD but it won't happen until next summer.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/454770/Jasper-Cillessen-transfer-news-Man-Utd-agrees-to-join

Telegraph are saying Madrid have turned down a 31m bid from Arsenal for Benzema.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11752593/Arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-31m-bid-rejected-for-Karim-Benzema.html

Lamb says Muller to UTD is not impossible.

http://www.espnfc.com/soccer-transfers/story/2529781/thomas-muller-move-to-man-united-not-impossible-lahm

Some interesting ones and some bs there

Highly doubt Ronaldo would be on his way back to Old Trafford, he's only 11 goals off Real's all time record of 323, he'll want to break that and set a new record.

Highly doubt Ronaldo would be on his way back to Old Trafford, he's only 11 goals off Real's all time record of 323, he'll want to break that and set a new record.

He can break it and add some daylight before signing on September 2nd tbh.

Reus is not going to Liverpool.

All the big clubs around him and he goes to Liverpool.
    Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

buyer95 wrote: »
    All the tweeters under Paddys tweet about us being for a "big surprise in the next 7-10 days" seem convinced Ronaldo's on his way😂😂

Paddy Crerand knows nothing more than the average fan. Yes he's an ex player and knows some united staff but do you honestly think he's itk?

If anything I would imagine the line "don't say anything to Paddy, he's likely to blurt it out on TV" is said a lot.

He's a nice guy but I doubt the small core of people at UTD who actually know what deals are in the process would confide in Paddy Crerand.

He is a fan like us and just speculating on the multiple press rumors and getting excited. If a deal happens in the next 7-10 days he'll sit back with a grin and say "I told you so" but its not hard to guess something might happen in that timeframe.

Remember his "nonsense, Fergies is not retiring" comments days before Fergie retired.

He can break it and add some daylight before signing on September 2nd tbh.

Well La Liga kicks off August 23rd, Real's first 2 games against Sporting Gijon & Real Betis on paper look easy, could Ronaldo rack up 11 in those 2 games before September 2nd?

If any of that is true why the hell are we not in for him? Reus would excite me much more than Muller.

We could well have been in for him and he said no. If he thinks Real are after him, then he might prefer that move. Also, wouldn't he clash with Depay in terms of where they play on the left wing?

Anyway, maybe they want a new LW player cause Ronnie is already on the way out to us :pac:

I continually see this one repeated. Has he himself stated this as a goal?

Well La Liga kicks off August 23rd, Real's first 2 games against Sporting Gijon & Real Betis on paper look easy, could Ronaldo rack up 11 in those 2 games before September 2nd?

It's Ronaldo, is here anything he can't do?

It's Ronaldo, is here anything he can't do?

Be Messi? :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement