Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If we sign Pedro and ADM stays, fine - but if ADM leaves and Pedro is the only attacking player coming in, we are still weaker, imo, than last season.

Really failing to understand this. We've strengthened everywhere we've needed to so far yet we'd be a weaker team to last season by selling ADM and bringing in Pedro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If we sign Pedro and ADM stays, fine - but if ADM leaves and Pedro is the only attacking player coming in, we are still weaker, imo, than last season.

On paper. Just like we had the best attack on paper last year.

If pedro played better than adm this year we wouldn't e worse off.
    I think adm will stay and be one of the best players of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The surprise will be Mario Gomes or Huntelaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DM_7 wrote: »
    The surprise will be Mario Gomes or Huntelaar.

no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Really failing to understand this. We've strengthened everywhere we've needed to so far yet we'd be a weaker team to last season by selling ADM and bringing in Pedro?

agree that replacing Di Maria isnt a concern but dont understand how you can say that we've strengthened everywhere we've needed to so far. Are you happy with Jones, Evans, Smalling and Rojo as CBs? This area needs immediate attention just like our midfield did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fair play to Van Gaal. Giving the thread a good talking point for the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The squad is weaker? Not sure how this works considering Ashley Young was keeping out Di Maria against City and Liverpool etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tugboats wrote: »
    agree that replacing Di Maria isnt a concern but dont understand how you can say that we've strengthened everywhere we've needed to so far. Are you happy with Jones, Evans, Smalling and Rojo as CBs? This area needs immediate attention just like our midfield did

While I think we need another center half, the defence will be under nowhere near as much pressure now that we actually have a midfield, so not signing one wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I will put a €10 Charity bet that the Next new Striker bought will be French or German.

It's Gabriel Barbosa.

It has to be. Van Gaal clearly saw my string of formations on the FM thread, and saw how I had the front three on song, blowing up the entire league.

XMK98Sc.jpg
    MTNI7xx.jpg

If Depay does turn out to be a monster, do me, Gowl and Lord TSC get to be smug as **** by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We strengthened the midfield. Yep, great work there.
    We've strengthed right back. Yep, hopefully good work there.
    We have not signed a CB which we need.

From an attacking perspective, we have lost two forwards without replacement and if we let ADM go and bring in Pedro to replace him with nowt else done we are simply replacing one wide player with another - not necessarily making us stronger going forward.

Don't see how it is so hard to understand my perspective on this.

I would say we haven't strengthened everywhere required (CB) and we have created a need to strengthen up top that, imo, didn't exist before we sold RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

From an attacking perspective, we have lost two forwards without replacement and if we let ADM go and bring in Pedro to replace him with nowt else done we are simply replacing one wide player with another - not necessarily making us stronger going forward.

I would say we haven't strengthened everywhere required (CB) and we have created a need to strengthen up top that, imo, didn't exist before we sold RVP.

Well if Hernandez stays, Wilson continues to improve and Depay and apparently Januzaj are striking options, are we better off without a misfiring Falcao and an on the wane RVP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

TheDoc wrote: »
    Fair play to Van Gaal. Giving the thread a good talking point for the day :)

Louis sitting back just polishing off a daim bar reading all the posts laughing to himself as he prepares to announce Falcaos return as the surprise :P

While I think we need another center half, the defence will be under nowhere near as much pressure now that we actually have a midfield, so not signing one wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm hoping we bought them midfielders to be part of a great team and not just to cover up dodgey CBs. Not signing a CB would signal to me that we have no interest in competing for honours this season and are happy with 4th

Well since it's all hypothetical at this point, if Di Maria continued his poor form, and Pedro played to the level he is capable of, we would be stronger.

I think there is a premise that Di Maria "will come good" but as with all things, its just as likely he would be "just as bad".

Unless Di Maria is going to go through some mad positional change, then Pedro is no reflection or relation to Di Maria. If Pedro arrives, Mata is the one to get worried. As much as I love the little man, Pedro is a first team upgrade for that position ( as well as Mata was performing and transitioning into the role)

Be interesting to see where Schweinsteger plays, but I imagine, that he will probably start out as a LCM, which is basically replacing an under performing Di Maria. Who will need to fight for his place back, if he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

RVP was decreasing rapidly imo, so stating him as a source of strength is a bit much imo.

An experienced striker - yes
    Another number - yes
    A source of strength \ first choice striker - no

Plus we've already signed a winger in Depay. Januzaj and Lingard hopefully can kick on also, so its not really a case that if we lose ADM and replace him with a FWD or a winger that we'll be weaker than before. Chico might stay. ADM wasn't exactly setting the world a light last season anyways!

In saying all of that, I believe we'll sign someone to play up top... and we still may keep ADM. The Pedro stuff might be BS too

ericzeking wrote: »
    Well if Hernandez stays, Wilson continues to improve and Depay and apparently Januzaj are striking options, are we better off without a misfiring Falcao and an on the wane RVP?

Hernandez who did little for Moyes, less at Madrid and was binned off without a moments thought by LVG, and unwanted at Madrid for little cash.

IF Wilson constinues to improve? He showed nothing at all last season, would need massive improvement.

Depay, I'd view as a wide player but yeah - an improvement.

Januzaj, done nowt in the last two seasons - has an awful lot to prove.

It's Gabriel Barbosa.

It has to be. Van Gaal clearly saw my string of formations on the FM thread, and saw how I had the front three on song, blowing up the entire league.

XMK98Sc.jpg
    MTNI7xx.jpg

If Depay does turn out to be a monster, do me, Gowl and Lord TSC get to be smug as **** by the way?

Hope he hasn't looked at my squad on FM, somehow my Hednesford are struggling to adapt to my 4-3-3 attacking style :pac:

I'm hoping we bought them midfielders to be part of a great team and not just to cover up dodgey CBs. Not signing a CB would signal to me that we have no interest in competing for honours this season and are happy with 4th

Well it would signal to me that Van Gaal has faith and is happy with Jones, Smalling, Rojo, McNair and Blackett.

Has my memory escaped me, or did we not appear to be pretty rock solid for large portions of the second half of the season when all were back fit, and the evident problem was creating chances and scoring.

Sure a new LCB would be ideal, and to be fair the signals being made appears we are very much trying to get one.

But sure whatever sensational conclusion you want to form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

What are they saying on SkySports News?

Ah you remember.:D

• Advertisement

Well it would signal to me that Van Gaal has faith and is happy with Jones, Smalling, Rojo, McNair and Blackett.

Has my memory escaped me, or did we not appear to be pretty rock solid for large portions of the second half of the season when all were back fit, and the evident problem was creating chances and scoring.

Sure a new LCB would be ideal, and to be fair the signals being made appears we are very much trying to get one.

Never felt we looked rock solid at any point - always looked like we were chasing back to stop the oppo rather than being a brick wall the oppo couldnt break down

Also, I don't rate Blacket at all, and not sold on McNair, he'd need to improve massively to be worth keeping around short term rather than loan.

We need a commanding, leading, organizing defender. We don't have one and we struggle because of it.

If we are serious about competing for trophies this season we need to add another goalscorer to the attack and we need to add a leader in defence. Anything short of that and we are setting up for failure again and the great work done on the midfield will be for nowt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

from an attacking perspective, if we lose Di Maria, Van persie, and Falcao (as they played last year, not on paper) and gain Pedro and Memphis, how are we weaker? Especially since Rooney will be able to play upfront rather than back in midfield.
    (and Hernandez is back, I'd expect him to get more than 4 goals in 26 appearances)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems Valencia will be first choice right back this season.
    Speaking in San Jose, Van Gaal said "We have brought Darmian for the second position behind Valencia and now already because of that injury [Paddy] McNair has to play there."
    Alot of people wont be happy with this.

Maybe Van Gaal has managed to teach Valencia how to actually cross a ball properly instead of driving it as hard as possible at the shins of the defender.

If we're trying to get one then it means Van Gaal doesnt have faith with the names you mentioned. If we dont get at least one(for whatever reason) we wont be competing in the league which I think is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Rojo and blackett are both LCB
    Blind can also play there

Why do we specifically have to sign one....

If we're signing a CB I hope its an experienced CB who can organize a defence around him

ericzeking wrote: »

A big part would be also clearing the wages those two were occupying. Those stories that emerged about rooney up top and 4-3-3 are what I've been saying for ages along with others.

I'd be VERY surprised if we sign a big name striker. Rooney will be playing up top, bar injury and league cup. Chico and Wilson should be enough to supplement. Although both are FAR below what is required for that position in a 4-3-3.

but I'd imagine a lot of the goals will come from the wide guys, and I'm looking at Mata and Depay.

Mata was able to bag 10, operating from a new position, and out of the team for long periods. Ashley Young didn't chip in enough. I'd expect Depay to rectify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But we don't need to simply be roughly the same, we need vast improvement both to close the massive gap in the league and to have any chance in CL.

We haven't improved the defence in any real way. Darmien may well be an upgrade but he will take time to settle.

Midfield, no doubt we are stronger.

Attack. Well Rooney may well get 20 goals, but RVP got 10 anyway so in total we are down.

We are also faced with the still real prospect of losing DDG, who in reality saved our season for us. He won us so many points last year as our defence was simply rubbish at times (albeit in some cases due to injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It seems Valencia will be first choice right back this season.

No chance, and I don't care what LVG might have said about it. There is no way we signed the 25 year old Italian right back to be back up to Antonio Valencia, it simply isn't even a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But we don't need to simply be roughly the same, we need vast improvement both to close the massive gap in the league and to have any chance in CL.

We haven't improved the defence in any real way. Darmien may well be an upgrade but he will take time to settle.

Midfield, no doubt we are stronger.

Attack. Well Rooney may well get 20 goals, but RVP got 10 anyway so in total we are down.

We are also faced with the still real prospect of losing DDG, who in reality saved our season for us. He won us so many points last year as our defence was simply rubbish at times (albeit in some cases due to injury)

Our main striker and highest paid player and he may get 20 goals?:D Hes only scored 20+ league goals twice in 13 years. Its a huge area of concern but his contract and the captains armband means we are powerless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

brinty wrote: »
    Rojo and blackett are both LCB
    Blind can also play there

Why do we specifically have to sign one....

If we're signing a CB I hope its an experienced CB who can organize a defence around him
    Blackett I do like but had some real shockers last season, Blind just no.

Van Gaal has a history of the old putting the pressure on players or testing their resolve and ****.

Didn't read any more of it then when he said the new signings would need to work hard to earn a place. Manager needs to say the right things to not alienate existing players

I do feel that the amount of goals we used to score took attention off the defence. Personally I don't feel the defence is as bad as people say and agree that it used to be a case of just outscoring the opposition.

Now I don't know the exact stats (at work atm) but I wager if you go over the last 8 seasons or so in ther PL the last two have been some of our worst in terms of goals for. I used to remember us getting 75+ goals a season (last two have been low 60s) while conceding around 30-45 goals a season seemed normal to an extent.

I know our defence is not the best in the league but I do feel that we are underperforming in terms of goalscoring more than how much we are conceding.

Id wager if you calculated the amount of goals scored by City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and us over the last two seasons we would probably be a good 25+ goals less than the lowest (probably 40+ nearly from City!) and in terms of conceding goals I'd say there is only a difference of around 10+ goals seperating us all but not nearly as much of a difference.

I know people will disregard, and I know our defense hasn't been solid but it must be said that the goal scoring sides of things have seemed worse but the defensive side is getting the majority of the criticism.

Our main striker and highest paid player and he may get 20 goals?:D Hes only scored 20+ league goals twice in 13 years

He only played as the main striker twice in 13 years. Funnily enough those were the two years he scored 34 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see a lot of people think we should be getting Ramos and Otamendi. Or that if we sign one that he will play with Smalling.

I'm curious then, what of our €20m defender Marcus Rojo? Whats the consensus on him? Clearly he hasn't nailed down a spot, is he a viable option for us going forward or was he just a stopgap, a signing made because one was needed? Will he be joining Blind in the jack of all trades department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lotta love for Scholes from Bastian in an interview on United's website.
    And finally, are we right in thinking Paul Scholes is another of your idols?
    I have some players who I was always looking for, to see how they were playing, and of course Scholes was one of them. I like his kind of style, how he played and it was also nice to see him once in Munich when there was an all-star game between Bayern Munich and Manchester United. I took his shirt on that occasion but that one was for me! It is at my house in Munich. Not in Manchester, because I do not have a home in Manchester yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

21/07/15:

It has been eight gruelling days since the last high profile signing, and morale among the men is already in deep decline. I can see it in the shifts of their gaze when I enter the room, or the trailing edge of a whisper under their breaths as I step around the bulkhead. If something is not done, I fear there will be open rebellion among them.

Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as to occasionally see a dead general, so with that thought, I must away and find Futureguy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I see a lot of people think we should be getting Ramos and Otamendi. Or that if we sign one that he will play with Smalling.

I'm curious then, what of our €20m defender Marcus Rojo? Whats the consensus on him? Clearly he hasn't nailed down a spot, is he a viable option for us going forward or was he just a stopgap, a signing made because one was needed? Will he be joining Blind in the jack of all trades department?

I havent been overly inpressed with Rojo. Very comfortable bringing the ball out and left footed(which Van Gaal wants) but he isnt a good enough defender imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The problem with the defence, as it was with the midfield, is that we went from having a commanding. leading, driving partnerships in those areas (Keane&Scholes/Butt etc) and RF and Vidic, to having none of that but relying on adequate players to fill the void.

Players like John O'She and Evans are fine players in their own right, but not the top players you need to command and drive a whole team.

We don't just need a new CB because Evans et all aren't good enough, we need a new CB pairing to make other teams fear of their own ability to score.

Look at Chelsea. With Terry/Cahill, teams wonder how they will score and so focus on their own defence as losing one goal usually means defeat. Last two years, teams knew they could score against us so attacking didn't carry the same risk. Its self fulling. Teams aren't scared so attack more, so therefore score more, meaning why retreat so score less etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I Can only imagine the bromance between Mata and Pedro.....

• Advertisement

I really dont understand the love for Smalling on here .
    He had a decent spell for a few months but he was a liability earlier in the season.

I'd say Rojo will be sold at Christmas if another centre back is bought .

He only played as the main striker twice in 13 years. Funnily enough those were the two years he scored 34 goals.

When Rooney scores his 20th pl goal of the season i will pay for you to go to the next game and include a match ticket.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The problem with the defence, as it was with the midfield, is that we went from having a commanding. leading, driving partnerships in those areas (Keane&Scholes/Butt etc) and RF and Vidic, to having none of that but relying on adequate players to fill the void.

I must be the only one who feels the midfield and forwards have been arguably a bigger problem since Ferguson left than the defence.

Look at the recent stats of scoring in the low 60s and conceding in mid 30s or so would it not appear that creating and scoring chances has been a bigger fall than conceding? We used to be scoring in the 80s and conceding similar amounts, first season after Fergie City and Pool scored 100+ while we got low 60s also.

Yes the defence is not as solid as desired, but I don't understand why it gets the most attention in terms of criticisim rather than how the amount of chances created and scored seems to have changed negatively a lot more than the amount of goals conceded.

When Rooney scores his 20th pl goal of the season i will pay for you to go to the next game and include a match ticket.

Quoting this post so you can't delete it :D

get ready to quote this next season guys :P any room for a few more of us at the match :pac::pac:

thelad95 wrote: »
    I Can only imagine the bromance between Mata and Pedro.....

hopefully theyd sway de gea to swing the other way

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    hopefully theyd sway de gea to swing the other way

Well that's one way to keep him here I suppose :eek:

21/07/15:

It has been eight gruelling days since the last high profile signing, and morale among the men is already in deep decline. I can see it in the shifts of their gaze when I enter the room, or the trailing edge of a whisper under their breaths as I step around the bulkhead. If something is not done, I fear there will be open rebellion among them.

Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as to occasionally see a dead general, so with that thought, I must away and find Futureguy.

Its getting to the stage of just sitting in front of sky sports news and refreshing twitter,,, munching on cheetos and ice cream......save me king Ed

Our main striker and highest paid player and he may get 20 goals?:D Hes only scored 20+ league goals twice in 13 years. Its a huge area of concern but his contract and the captains armband means we are powerless

I think Rooney is definitely getting a bit on now to play in a 433 .
    I'm not sure his first touch is good enough to play that role and he is a bit slow .
    A pacier striker would be a good addition but I guess Depay and Di Maria on the wings have enough pace to make up for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Adamocovic wrote: »
    get ready to quote this next season guys :P any room for a few more of us at the match :pac::pac:

Notice he said When Rooney scores 20, not If. He must be a charitable sort. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement