Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

BOOM depay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

2-0. Memphis with his first of many for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

MEMPHIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Go on memphis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

That defender can pass the ball better than Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United hit by an earthquake, some damage as lead cut in half.

2-1.San Jose back in it. Schneiderlin turned to easily.

Lively first half, one would have to feel positive as a United fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

John Snow in goals has impressed the last 2 games and his passing is better tonight although I feel they arent being pressed as well as the last game.

Schneiderlan and Shaw really switched off for the goal conceeded.

Shaw's pace is impressive. 2-1 HT.

• Advertisement

Class from Pereira.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

cracking finish from pereira after really nice play down the right

Some nicely controlled passing leading up to that goal, good work down that right by Herrera and Lingard for the cross.

3-1. Lovely header from Pereira.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nice play for the third, would like to see Pereria and Lingard get a run this season but with our current attacking options I cant see it. Their pace is refreshing, in both frendlies so far we have played better attacking football with the youngsters in the second half but more sensible patient play in the first with the more experienced team which I presume will be favoured when its back to business time.

No reason why the young lads can't play in the league cup and some minutes in the PL when we have a game won

Januzaj and Wilson have been very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Januzaj is consistently disappointing. At some point you have to start worrying about his development.....in that he isnt actually developing.

Kirby wrote: »
    Januzaj is consistently disappointing. At some point you have to start worrying about his development.....in that he isnt actually developing.

Remember when his agent pretended teams in Europe wanted him and we gave him a big contract:D

• Advertisement

I agree Januzaj looks very lethargic in his movements. Not attempting to dribble with the ball, always looking for a lay off or quick pass.
    Johnny Evans has made more yards with the ball at his feet!!

Kirby wrote: »

I'm starting to feel Macheda syndrome with him, got all excited from his initial performances and then trailed off (Although Januzaj done more to justify the hype and more consistently). Maybe it's time to chance him with a loan, as long as it is to a top 4 team in a top european league, he has to find his rhythm and consistency and isn't going to get the chance to do it at United at the minute.

curry-muff wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel Macheda syndrome with him, got all excited from his initial performances and then trailed off (Although Januzaj done more to justify the hype and more consistently). Maybe it's time to chance him with a loan, as long as it is to a top 4 team in a top european league, he has to find his rhythm and consistency and isn't going to get the chance to do it at United at the minute.

Why would a top team in a European league take him?:confused: He will end up at Hull with Steve Bruce

Schweinstiger first time long pass off his left. Beautiful.

Game really died but after 3rd goal but I feel its the LVG plan you close out up 2 goals no matter what no risk to get 3 up

Tugboats wrote: »
    Why would a top team in a European league take him?:confused: He will end up at Hull with Steve Bruce

That's the problem, I'd rather he stay in Uniteds U-21s team than go to Hull or the likes. He needs to play competitively. It's not unfathomable that a top 4 European team would take a chance on him. Not England or Spain, but I don't see why not in Italy, Portugal, France etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just want to acknowledge this - I accept some of it and disagree with some but it's probably the sort of thing better argued about over a few pints and as I said it's mostly a philosophical ramble on my part anyway!

Sound. I have to say I still accept a lot of the general point you were making about opinions (including mine) on manager decisions ending up being expressed with too much certainty. But as you say, it's a conversation that doesn't really work in this format and is probably not worth pursuing any further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Was the match good? Saw the goals, depay is a cool bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Luke Shaw was excellent. Though his overlapping runs and final passes were very good, shame Rooney, Depay and Young squandered the chances. Hopefully we will see more of him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Did Depay play centrally last night?

Looked at the Mata goal his movement was great he just missed out on tapping it in.

Also for his goal it was a real strikers instinct.

Louis van Gaal has stated that Angel Di Maria will join up with the pre-season tour on the 25th July

The manager hopes David De Gea can play against Barcelona on Saturday. "He was still injured tonight.

Both taken from twitter cant embed

He also said the mystery signing is not a striker and Fellaini hasnt gotten game time due to his suspension and gross hasnt because surprisingly we have had no injuries and gross was more or less the last call up to the squad

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Did Depay play centrally last night?

Looked at the Mata goal his movement was great he just missed out on tapping it in.

Also for his goal it was a real strikers instinct.

Ya he seemed to play 10 in what I think is a 4411 formation, although some may disagree as schnierderlan and swhienstiger were both dropping deep to receive the ball in their respective halves.

Maybe its a rolling formation it can be hard to tell from watching stuff on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Louis van Gaal has stated that Angel Di Maria will join up with the pre-season tour on the 25th July

The manager hopes David De Gea can play against Barcelona on Saturday. "He was still injured tonight.

Both taken from twitter cant embed

He also said the mystery signing is not a striker and Fellaini hasnt gotten game time due to his suspension and gross hasnt because surprisingly we have had no injuries and gross was more or less the last call up to the squad

I hope the lads don't call him that in the dressing room to make fun of him! Could cause confidence problems :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Not really an exciting match, Depay and Pereira took their goals well.

My only issue which continues on from last season is our ground passes are still landing short which gives teams time to break.

Also annoying is playing the ball behind a player which happened a few times in the game.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I hope the lads don't call him that in the dressing room to make fun of him! Could cause confidence problems :pac:

LOL Im beyond tired Ha nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Telegraaf have been probably the most reliable spot for stories since LVG took over - they had 3 signings to be announced by the tour starting on the Thursday (I think) before. Still, on Muller, I just can't see them being right. I just can't see us signing Muller, just can't see Bayern selling him.

Also doesn't score enough goals for me, we need to add a big goal threat to the side, and that isn't him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I'm still sticking with Laporte as the surprise signing. Young, left footed CB and there's been feck all in the media about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So the surprise signing is not a striker, it's something else, according to LVG. He's obviously trolling the media, which is great fun to watch.

In the event that he is telling the truth Copper will need to do a new survey..

I'll go with..

De Gea signing a new contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

De Telegraaf have been probably the most reliable spot for stories since LVG took over - they had 3 signings to be announced by the tour starting on the Thursday (I think) before. Still, on Muller, I just can't see them being right. I just can't see us signing Muller, just can't see Bayern selling him.

Also doesn't score enough goals for me, we need to add a big goal threat to the side, and that isn't him.

Agreed that it seems unlikely and thanked the post until I saw the last part :pac:

I'm pretty sure we got into a discussion before about how much goals he contributes for Bayern so I suppose theres no need going over it.

I still firmly believe he would score and create a lot of goals for us and would be a big difference in terms of what position we finish.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Agreed that it seems unlikely and thanked the post until I saw the last part :pac:

I'm pretty sure we got into a discussion before about how much goals he contributes to for Bayern so I suppose theres no need going over it.

I still firmly believe he would score and create a lot of goals for us and would be a big difference in terms of what position we finish.

I agree he would score and create goals - but I don't feel we have the balance of a side that would get the most from him, to up his goals or assists as required. We don't have the pace or predatory players for him to work with, we are a very static side for the most part and he doesn't have the pace or dynamism, imo, to change that. He would get swallowed up in that congested central area looking for a knock down from a cross, like everyone else. Though I will say Depay might offer that defence stretching pacey goal threat we lack, that a player like Muller could take advantage of.

I did think his record in terms of goals was worse than it is though, 21, 27 and 23 are good enough returns.

• Advertisement

Lewandowski 25
    Müller 21
    Robben 19
    Götze 15

Bayerns 4 top scorers last season, its just the way they play, goals will always be spread out among the team still a pretty good haul for someone who wouldnt have always played up top.

I think he'd be a great signing I'd love him here, I also think its never going to happen.
    I'd also love Lewandoski just in case Santa is reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I agree he would score and create goals - but I don't feel we have the balance of a side that would get the most from him, to up his goals or assists as required. We don't have the pace or predatory players for him to work with, we are a very static side for the most part and he doesn't have the pace or dynamism, imo, to change that. He would get swallowed up in that congested central area looking for a knock down from a cross, like everyone else. Though I will say Depay might offer that defence stretching pacey goal threat we lack, that a player like Muller could take advantage of.

I did think his record in terms of goals was worse than it is though, 21, 27 and 23 are good enough returns.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Muller is one of the most intelligent football players around tactically and decision making wise. He's not slow either. I'm sure he'll manage to work out that standing around waiting for a knockdown isn't the most effective use of his attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Adnan really doesn't get an inch in here, wasn't he decent in the first pre season game ? as LVG said doesn't seem like anyone bar Perriera covered themselves in glory.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Where do you come up with this stuff? Muller is one of the most intelligent football players around tactically and decision making wise. He's not slow either. I'm sure he'll manage to work out that standing around waiting for a knockdown isn't the most effective use of his attributes.

He'd be an absolutely incredible signing. But tbh I see no prospect of it happening. He seems happy where he is (and why wouldn't he be?), the fee would be astronomical and I doubt very much that Bayern want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Didnt see the game last night but saw a snippet of the post match presser with Van Gaal.

What I took from it is that he has back tracked on saying we are trying to sign a striker and it looks like Di Maria is gone. Very disappointing on both parts if true.

The turnover of players is just getting too much. At some stage there needs to be a settled core with additions being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Bild.de
    Rummenigge promised: "I can totally reassure all the fans we will issue no further players towards Manchester United."

adox wrote: »
    The turnover of players is just getting too much. At some stage there needs to be a settled core with additions being made.

As of the end of last season the squad was patently not good enough to be settled on. He's made four necessary signings so far, Falcao and RvP contributed very little last season, he's doing what needs to be done.

It would be a shame if Di Maria goes but it seems he's not happy. If that is the case you have to let him go really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

As of the end of last season the squad was patently not good enough to be settled on. He's made four necessary signings so far, Falcao and RvP contributed very little last season, he's doing what needs to be done.

It would be a shame if Di Maria goes but it seems he's not happy. If that is the case you have to let him go really.

Exactly. Excellent precise and accurate post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Bild.de

Alex Ferguson "I wouldn't sell that lot a virus"

Talk is cheap

• Advertisement

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I agree regarding his intelligence, but the way United have played under LVG has been very static up top, and I don't think Muller would change that pattern much. I'm a big fan of him, but I don't think a front line of him, Rooney and Mata, for example, are going to destroy teams. They will move and pass intelligently, but there isn't an explosive dynamic game changer in them - there isn't a Ronaldo, Bale, Aguero who is going to burst beyond the defenders to stretch them, providing space for a player like Muller to exploit. It is a criticism I have of United in general over the last number of years - our attacking play is generally quite predictable.

My criticism isn't so much of Muller - as I think he is a fantastic footballer and arguably one of the most intelligent around in terms of ball use and movement - it is a criticism of the set up of the United attack as we have seen it, and how Muller, as great as he is, doesn't alter the pattern that I dislike. He is just a better exponent of it.

Its similar to why I would prefer us to sign Otamendi over Ramos - because Otamendi's defensive style is more different to what we have than Ramos' is.

Same as I wouldn't want us to sign Matic, for example. Great player (and no way Chelsea would sell) but having brought in Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger Matic wouldn't be different enough to our other options.

If we sign Muller I would be hapy an intrigued as to how it will work out and how/where he will play - but I'd rather try to sign Bale for that bit more (and even more overpriced than Muller) as he would offer a very different threat than the rest of our side.

I fear our side lacks a cutting edge - we have a lot of players happy to play around the edges and look for a pass to exploit some space - and I feel Muller would be another in that mould, I feel we need some attacking threats that will look to actually go at the opposition and commit them. With ADM seemingly on the way out, I feel Depay and possibly Januzaj are the only players to offer that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement