Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Headshot wrote: »

I am that damn good. Utd will only get 2 signings in the summer window

Well with Depay already signed I'd be confident of more than one more. We will sign at least three more players IMO. Whether they were first choice or not is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

LVG will tell Woodward to pull his finger out and get some deals over the line.

It's quips like this that annoys people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's quips like this that annoys people.

Is a "quip" an annoying witty comment? Haven't heard it used in yonks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well with Depay already signed I'd be confident of more than one more. We will sign at least three more players IMO. Whether they were first choice or not is a different story.

Three more signings is the minimum required imo. Centre back, right back and centre mid. I'd argue for another CM signing too, and I know people would argue for an attacker too. Might end up needing a keeper too!

3 minimum, but up to 5 or 6 easily arguable. Poor reflection on the squad, Ferguson and the transfer work dine over last 5 years or so, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

duffman13 wrote: »

You know I wasn't going to include Depay in my prediction but I'll go out on a limb and say only 2. And once I'm right every one will know my evil power like Nostradamus

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Is a "quip" an annoying witty comment? Haven't heard it used in yonks

Ah yeah think it is. Didn't have the google handy to get the definition of it. Just went with it really.

Always thought it meant a sly remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thats not what it means. It's more a witticism.

Sly remark implies a quip is always negative which isnt the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CJL07pVWcAA2Bq9.jpg

No De Gea to Madrid unless we get Ramos.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/woodward-expects-man-united-to-be-dominant-in-the-transfer-market
    Edward Woodward is becoming something of a star in the Spanish press. Of course, the Real Madrid media aren't happy that he's slowing down or stopping a David De Gea transfer but they have a grudging respect for what he's trying to do. AS on Sunday have a feature on Woodward, his past and his education. They say that this graduate of physics has taken Manchester United income into the stratosphere and again he's called the Cristiano Ronaldo of football finance.

The Spanish media are very impressed with Woodward's commercial deals with Chevrolet and Adidas, and they can't understand how he seems to be so much better at it than those at Spain's big two clubs. They reckon that those two deals prove Woodward is a 'magician of negotiations' and they also credit him with convincing the Glazer family to spend more money on transfers. He's apparently on a salary of around €3.5m for all of this.

AS reckon Woodward was very much behind the big spending last summer having got the Glazer's to loosen their grip on the money and it's something he wants to continue this summer and on into the future. The Manchester United man expects his club to be dominant in the transfer market and AS reel off a list of names the club have been linked with. To build the idea of dominance and to make it clear that Manchester United are not a club to be messed with, Woodward is prepared to play hardball on De Gea for as long as he wants and is even prepared to lose him for free rather than agree to something which could be seen as Manchester United not winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Three more signings is the minimum required imo. Centre back, right back and centre mid. I'd argue for another CM signing too, and I know people would argue for an attacker too. Might end up needing a keeper too!

3 minimum, but up to 5 or 6 easily arguable. Poor reflection on the squad, Ferguson and the transfer work dine over last 5 years or so, really.

Enough room to be ultimately disappointed do you think? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I agree there, but Fergie is gone two years and in that time we've only made 6 signings a couple of which are squad players at best going forward ie Blind, Fellaini and Rojo. To be competing at Europe's top table I don't think those players are good enough to start at the moment.(good squad/impact players to have)

This is why at the moment I'm not too stressed, the deals to get top first team players are gonna require a bit more work. I can't speculate as to what is happening but I'd be confident that if Utd were making a balls of this window, LVG will be the first to point it out in a presser.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Maybe we can sell Woody to Madrid in exchange for Ronaldo, Ramos and keeping De Gea? :)

Varela coming back. He's gonna be a legend for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Laces didn't come in until 92-93 season. We had similar jerseys from 89-90 to 92 :)

I don't get what you mean? I know when the laced came in mate I was given examples of united kits from the 90s,

The pictured addidas kit screams 80s to me the shorts are pure old fashioned addidas look I'm not saying early 90s weren't simmilar but when i think of 90s kits its laced kits and the old Trafford picture in the jersey or the odd coloured away kits.

https://twitter.com/alex_crook/status/617822723360862208

This fella has the inside track on all things Southampton,btw Koeman's pre-season presser is at 2.30pm.Could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

First the Black Jersey and now this, don't let me down zerks ;)

Varela coming back. He's gonna be a legend for us!

Could be a few promotions leading to not quite the number of signings most people would like.

Pereira, Januzaj, Wilson, McNair, Blackett, it would be interesting to know exactly how LVG sees these guys fitting in o an expanded squad

Watching the Women's Final, 16 mins gone,USA 4 up and a goal from half way for a hat trick!
    Sign her up Woody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some turn out for Nani, even bigger if RVP ends up there

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/617814055655469056

Not a patch on Darius Vassell's welcoming party when he went to Turkey...

Darius fecking Vassell....

First the Black Jersey and now this, don't let me down zerks ;)

Benitez also said he doesn't want Otamendi,we'll take him.......POSITIVITY AHOY!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

By my count there were 106 transfers in to PL teams last season summer (excluding free transfers and loans).

Guess how many were completed before 7 July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Id be happy to see DDG leave on a free next season then sell him for F all now. Delighted to hear Utd are playing hardball. Any deal involving Ramos/DDG wont be done until near start of season (if any deal is to be done). So wouldnt get worked up about it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

By my count there were 106 transfers in to PL teams last season summer (excluding free transfers and loans).

Guess how many were completed before 7 July?

18?

51?

Can I have 2 chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

18?

51?

Can I have 2 chances?

Close on the first try, 21 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Hopefully with preseason actually starting tomorrow LVG will tell Woodward to pull his finger out and get some deals over the line.

Preseason tour starts 18th July unless I'm missing something. I'd be getting kind of worried if no players are signed by then as a week after they return is the first PL game. And it would be more worried that new signings won't be ready in time for the start of the season, not worried that no signings are going to be made at all. 18th is still 2 weeks away though so loads of time and the actual deadline is September 1st.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy our new bitchin' jerseys!

zerks wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me if Real tried to snatch Woodward as well!

RichFTW wrote: »
    Preseason tour starts 18th July unless I'm missing something. I'd be getting kind of worried if no players are signed by then as a week after they return is the first PL game. And it would be more worried that new signings won't be ready in time for the start of the season, not worried that no signings are going to be made at all. 18th is still 2 weeks away though so loads of time and the actual deadline is September 1st.

Preseason training starts today - most the players are back in today - and the first tour match is on the 18th, the tour itself (flying out) starts early next week I believe - so there is about a week until the squad leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Will Perreira go on the tour after the world cup? Looking forward to seeing him get some games and see how he does.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Will Perreira go on the tour after the world cup? Looking forward to seeing him get some games and see how he does.

Would love to see him go as he is one of the few youth prospects with a chance of making an impact on the first team in the next couple of years - but yeah, might be too soon after the U20 WC - he's only had two weeks off at this point. Maybe he will only return for the flight out rather than the pre-season work before hand. Or maybe he will cut short any time off to take a shot at first team football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »

I don't think anyone expected the deal would be this tough. Many expected us to bend over and sell him for smaller fee. IMO we have done brilliantly till now but if we end up losing both Ramos and Otamendi and on top of that De Gea then all the good work is worth ****all.

Nuts102 wrote: »

What's his attitude like does anyone know? I might be way off here but he looks like a sulk.

What's his attitude like does anyone know? I might be way off here but he looks like a sulk.

I don't know off the field but on it he is anything but sulk. Works very hard and very skillful player.

RichFTW wrote: »

Preseason training starts from today. Also in 1 week team will fly to USA.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/617963706891280384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Or we could complete a transfer anytime next week and the player could meet up with the team in the US :eek: Worked out ok for Roy Keane when he signed for us and met up with the team in South Africa

LeeJM wrote: »
    Or we could complete a transfer anytime next week and the player could meet up with the team in the US :eek: Worked out ok for Roy Keane when he signed for us and met up with the team in South Africa

Or we could complete 5 deals on deadline day and have them for September. Yes, we could do a deal at any point.

However, while some (me) wanted the majority of work done already, others have claimed flying out to the US as their date to start worrying, so this is simply framing that debate with an actual timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

didn't realise that di maria went off injured on saturday night :( could be out til september

i assume with the talk of RvP going and hernandez likely joining him we will sign at least 1 striker this summer cant see us starting with just rooney and wilson.

There is a timeline on it, its called the transfer window. Whatever date you, me or anybody else puts on it Manchester United can and will do business right up until the deadline. Id love to have our business done but Im not worried about it not being done. We are in for world class players, that takes a lot of negotiation. LVG knows what he wants, Ed and his team are working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Or we could complete 5 deals on deadline day and have them for September. Yes, we could do a deal at any point.

However, while some (me) wanted the majority of work done already, others have claimed flying out to the US as their date to start worrying, so this is simply framing that debate with an actual timeline.

Worrying? I never worry.

354316.png

There is a timeline on it, its called the transfer window. Whatever date you, me or anybody else puts on it Manchester United can and will do business right up until the deadline. Id love to have our business done but Im not worried about it not being done. We are in for world class players, that takes a lot of negotiation. LVG knows what he wants, Ed and his team are working on it.
    So, you would be quite happy to go into the massively improtant CL qualifying games with no new additions - or none bar Depay who have had a good amount of training sessions and match practice with the other players before those games?

As for worrying about it not being done - how about worrying about it only getting done for backup options like Blind and Rojo in the last week of the window, meaning more 'good' players at United rather than great?

Also - while I agree it can take time to negotiate deals, they will have known what was required before last season even ended, long before that, so they could and should have been working on deals for a long time. Indeed, I think LVG stated or implied that was the case before last season ended - so we have gone 6 weeks or so past our last game of the season with no further transfer work coming to fruition (Depay being sealed before the season ended) so I have to wonder how we haven't been able to seal anything else in such a good time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure, we could complete transfers right up until the deadline. But just because we could doesn't mean we should.

We have a lot of work that needs done. The best thing for this club was to have it well under way by this stage, and that hasn't happened. Again.

Saying that if all else fails we can just splash the cash on deadline day isn't really the best transfer policy I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Also - while I agree it can take time to negotiate deals, they will have known what was required before last season even ended, long before that, so they could and should have been working on deals for a long time. Indeed, I think LVG stated or implied that was the case before last season ended - so we have gone 6 weeks or so past our last game of the season with no further transfer work coming to fruition (Depay being sealed before the season ended) so I have to wonder how we haven't been able to seal anything else in such a good time frame.

I'd imagine they have been working on deals. Negotiating is one thing coming to a deal is another. Obviously the club can't force other teams to sell and don't want to get ripped off so it can take a lot of time. I don't think it's as simple as some people make out to get a deal done.

With Depay it was pretty clear he was leaving and PSV were going to let him go. I don't know how long we were in talks with him. If a club doesn't want to let a player go they will try get as much money as possible and slow down the process, like us with De Gea and like the other teams we have been dealing with. That's why I see it as being slower than people expected, and to be honest I didn't pin my hopes up on anything else.

So, you would be quite happy to go into the massively improtant CL qualifying games with no new additions - or none bar Depay who have had a good amount of training sessions and match practice with the other players before those games?

As for worrying about it not being done - how about worrying about it only getting done for backup options like Blind and Rojo in the last week of the window, meaning more 'good' players at United rather than great?

I wouldn't be happy but I'd still be hugely confident in our teams ability to get past anybody we might be drawn against. Rooney, Depay, Mata and Herrera should possess enough to get us through.

Rojo wasnt a backup, his deal was delayed due to Sporting not wanting to sell him if I remember correctly. Daley Blind is the type of squad player every championship winning team needs. Dont see the problem with him.

6 weeks without a deal could be worrying if I didnt believe at least 2 deals are pretty much completed. And any delay may not be due to our end of the negotiations. Its possible our transfer team is sh*t, its also possible our transfer team is dynamite and ground breaking in their methods and the other sides are delaying our business. Chances are me and you will never know which of those is closer to the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

magnumbud wrote: »
    didn't realise that di maria went off injured on saturday night :( could be out til september

i assume with the talk of RvP going and hernandez likely joining him we will sign at least 1 striker this summer cant see us starting with just rooney and wilson.

ADM probably needs a break anyways, WC last summer, Copa this summer, both of which Argentina got to the final.

I know he got somewhat of a break warming the bench at United, but he was still training every day.

Sure, we could complete transfers right up until the deadline. But just because we could doesn't mean we should.

We have a lot of work that needs done. The best thing for this club was to have it well under way by this stage, and that hasn't happened. Again.

Saying that if all else fails we can just splash the cash on deadline day isn't really the best transfer policy I've ever heard.

Where did I say if all else fails we can splash the cash on deadline day? Please show me where I said those words. I said Manchester United will do business right up until the deadline. Whether we have done 4 or 14 deals we will still be doing business on deadline day like every club in the world.

if I didnt believe at least 2 deals are pretty much completed.

Interesting - do you have absolutely anything to base that on? If I thought two deals were basically done I would be happier about the current situation too - but I have seen nothing to suggest this is the case - at least not since it was being briefed by the club about 2 months ago. (seemingly Alves was one of those)

Interesting - do you have absolutely anything to base that on? If I thought two deals were basically done I would be happier about the current situation too - but I have seen nothing to suggest this is the case - at least not since it was being briefed by the club about 2 months ago. (seemingly Alves was one of those)

Its based on my opinion and belief. Ottamendi agent pretty much saying he has a deal done makes me BELIEVE hes a done deal for us. The second one could be anybody but I just have BELIEF in our upper management to get stuff done without people like me and you knowing about it

The club should do this, the club could do this, we know this, we know that, we know better.
    Does it ever dawn on the people thinking the club is literally hitler this time of year, that they perhaps know all this and more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

i wonder is there any substance in the theory that the club is holding off on unveiling/signing new players until the Adidas deal comes into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭KH25

I think we will sign Schneiderlin this week. And with the Copa over, Otamendi by next week. Hopefully Ramos soon after.

#ChooChoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

kstand wrote: »
    i wonder is there any substance in the theory that the club is holding off on unveiling/signing new players until the Adidas deal comes into effect?

short answer, no. why would they

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement