Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

bangkok wrote: »
    Rooney was never going to be a Ronaldo or a Messi though.

Rooney was brought up in Croxteth, probably a poor upbringing, cant imagine his diet as a kid was good, probably a lot of oven/fried food and plenty of chips no doubt. he struggles with his weight. Came back one summer over weight and was quickly sent over to America to get fit. Likes his beer and the odd cigarette.

Ronaldo doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, loves his body, loves the gym. messi I presume is the same

but the fact rooney has gone on to do what he has done deserves respect.

Probably the most naturally gifted English player of the last 30 years.

soon to be the highest scorer in Manchester United and Englands history.Lewandowski

Won everything in the game, still has the same appetite for the game. He has hunger, desire, wants to win at everything, gets sent off the odd time for stupid things but his desire is infectious.

If he plays up front this season and remains injury free I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals this season

Rooney hasn't won fa cup or world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tugboats wrote: »
    TheDoc said Rooney would score 25 goals in the German league with ease. Muller and Lewandowski struggle to do that. Do you not think we should open dialogue with Bayern and work out a deal?

Why work out a deal?

Rooney is a superior striker to Muller and Lewandowski. Muller isn't a striker. If he was scoring 20+ league goals playing from the right, that would be a pretty special feat to be honest.

Lewandowski is a good striker, but I wouldn't consider him better then Rooney, so why spunk a big fee on wages for something thats not better then what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

All this talk of Rooney made me sad and regretful.
    I sold Rooney and rvp + 50 million at the end of the 3rd season In football manager, Ronnies 60 goals dried my tears.
    Might buy Rooney back so he can retire at utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

But he was, he was on their level or as near as for a couple of years. Its a cop out to blame his upbringing on not being on their level.

He had all the attributes to be one of the greatest players that the game has ever seen and while he has been very successful, he simply cant be classed in that bracket.

There is more to the game than athleticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Cherno Samba retires -another who never lived up to his (virtual) potential

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/22/cherno-samba-championship-manager-retires-millwall-plymouth

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I don't care if it is serious or not but that sentence alone attracted the attention of my surrounding colleagues from me just laughing to myself.

I mean I've read it a few times, and I shouldn't, but I can't stop laughing at it. The "no doubt" makes it haha :pac::pac:

I liked the probably at the start of the sentence, he was doubting his opinion, then nodded in Approvement halfway through and added the no doubt at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

adox wrote: »
    But he was, he was on their level or as near as for a couple of years. Its a cop out to blame his upbringing on not being on their level.

He had all the attributes to be one of the greatest players that the game has ever seen and while he has been very successful, he simply cant be classed in that bracket.

i meant over the course of 10 years he was never going to match their goalscoring.

yes but the modern day footballer needs to have athleticism in order to survive at the very top

anyway enough about rooney.... anyone else happy to see van gaal has given the big man the cold shoulder? Little to no game time due to his cowardly suspension

anyway enough about rooney.... anyone else happy to see van gaal has given the big man the cold shoulder? Little to no game time due to his cowardly suspension

Yeah we are all delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Rooney was brought up in Croxteth, probably a poor upbringing, cant imagine his diet as a kid was good, probably a lot of oven/fried food and plenty of chips no doubt. he struggles with his weight. Came back one summer over weight and was quickly sent over to America to get fit. Likes his beer and the odd cigarette.

Ronaldo doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, loves his body, loves the gym. messi I presume is the same

but the fact rooney has gone on to do what he has done deserves respect.

Probably the most naturally gifted English player of the last 30 years.

soon to be the highest scorer in Manchester United and Englands history.

Won everything in the game, still has the same appetite for the game. He has hunger, desire, wants to win at everything, gets sent off the odd time for stupid things but his desire is infectious.

If he plays up front this season and remains injury free I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals this season

My response to this George Best or maybe Garincha, players who womanised and drank themselves stupid and I wonder how they would be rated alongside Messi and ronaldo.

Rooneys physique means he could never player identical to Messi or ronaldo, but he had potential that the English media hyped him up and could never live up to it.

We have the worst striker out of all the top European and Pl teams but let's talk about LVG punishing Fellaini(One of the few who saved LVGs job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

You could argue quite a few players were on their level for X amount of time.

The reality is that he didn't have all the attributes those guys have. You can't say that he had the skill, close control and pace of either of those two. No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Barca confirmed Pedro can leave for £22 million

Would be a good buy so long as we are adding him to Di Maria, Mata, Depay and Young rather than replacing Di Maria with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Rooney hasn't won fa cup or world cup

or european cup or uefa cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Rooney lived the lifestyle of Ronaldo & was wiling to do similar gym work as him he could have been alot closer to there level. No doubt he didn't live up to his potential as he showed at Euro 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is interesting the disconnect between some people slating Rooney for not scoring over 20 goals every season, and then others talking about spending €100m on Muller who averages what, around 13 goals a season? Rooney gets seriously underappreciated sometimes, especially when it comes to comparisons with whoever the shiny new flavour of the month is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We have the worst striker out of all the top European and Pl teams but let's talk about LVG punishing Fellaini(One of the few who saved LVGs job)

His job wasn't in jeopardy.

United weren't going to sack a manager one season in after doing it the previous season.

You could argue quite a few players were on their level for X amount of time.

The reality is that he didn't have all the attributes those guys have. You can't say that he had the skill, close control and pace of either of those two. No way.

What I`m saying is he was considered as good as them by many for a couple of seasons and had the attributes to be one of the games greats.
    I`m not saying he had the same skill set as them. In fact Ronaldo and Messi are both different type players.

It is interesting the disconnect between some people slating Rooney for not scoring over 20 goals every season, and then others talking about spending €100m on Muller who averages what, around 13 goals a season? Rooney gets seriously underappreciated sometimes, especially when it comes to comparisons with whoever the shiny new flavour of the month is.

last 3 seasons muller has scored more than 20 a season.

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Rooney lived the lifestyle of Ronaldo & was wiling to do similar gym work as him he could have been alot closer to there level. No doubt he didn't live up to his potential as he showed at Euro 2004.

If sterling and januzaj lived up to messi and Ronaldo they would be just as good.

Not every single player will be Ronaldo or messi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

magnumbud wrote: »
    last 3 seasons muller has scored more than 20 a season.

Obvs league goals tbf

His job wasn't in jeopardy.

United weren't going to sack a manager one season in after doing it the previous season.

Why not? The objective was to qualify for the champions league? Business is cut throat

Why not? The objective was to qualify for the champions league? Business is cut throat

His job wasnt in jeopardy.

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Rooney lived the lifestyle of Ronaldo & was wiling to do similar gym work as him he could have been alot closer to there level.

The degree to which Rooney could potentially have been a better player can never be quantified but there is something in that.

I remember reading an article, which I think referenced his book or interview or something, and it referenced Giggs' use of yoga as a tool to get himself in better shape and prolong his career at a high level. Rooney did it for half an hour, packed it in and said it wasn't for him. The point was that it was indicative of his willingness to go that extra yard to eke a bit more out of his body.

Whether it would have made a difference or not is debatable but it says something about his attitude off the pitch.

That said, debating all that is pointless. His record speaks for itself and there's no one available that's better than him at scoring goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So you're saying Giroud is better than Rooney? Give it up dude, you've jumped the shark.

If sterling and januzaj lived up to messi and Ronaldo they would be just as good.

Jesus this is such nonsense.

If for no other reason than sacking another manager sends a signal that the club is in turmoil. Share prices go down.

If United didn't qualify for the CL last year, it would have been pretty bad but not a disaster, financially. This season was when the sh*t would hit the fan if they hadn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

your obvious personal beef with Rooney is getting the better of you here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

:confused: I just mentioned Rooney. Even Man Utd's S&C coach said similar
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ex-man-utd-fitness-coach-clegg-rooney-left-behind-ronaldo-due-gym-snub-3966830
    Wayne didn't see the importance of the gym really. He'd say, 'I'm here to play football'. I always wish I could have pushed Wayne that bit further.
    "Wayne was always a big lad and was afraid of bulking up if he spent too much time in the gym.
    "That's what set Cristiano Ronaldo apart. He would do whatever training I prescribed and more.
    "He lived and breathed football 24/7 and his dedication was phenomenal.
    "Wayne could still be as good as Cristiano if he emulated his attitude to the gym - he is an amazing athlete when he puts his mind to it."

So you're saying Giroud is better than Rooney? Give it up dude, you've jumped the shark.

Arsenal aren't a top club who challenge for league titles or champions league

• Advertisement

Jesus this is such nonsense.

You know I'm being sarcastic though right?

It's pointless saying well if this youth prodigy followed the exact steps as Ronaldo, he will be as good as Ronaldo.
    If that was the case , you could field a team of Ronaldos.

Sport and natural talent dosent work that way .

magnumbud wrote: »
    or european cup or uefa cup

Wayne-Rooney.jpg

haha laughable

Wayne-Rooney.jpg

i meant the international european cup :P and the europa league.

i was really just fueling the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Arsenal aren't a top club who challenge for league titles or champions league

Your goal post shifting is very amusing. Outside of Aguero and possibly Costa, Rooney is better than any other striker City or Chelsea have. And to say Arsenal, who finished above us the last 2 seasons and qualifiy for the CL every season aren't a top club is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Wayne-Rooney.jpg

Id say he meant the Euros. Even if he didn't you shouldn't be highlighting his mistake. Yours was a hundred times bigger. Rooney won everything in the game:D:o

Id say he meant the Euros. Even if he didn't you shouldn't be highlighting his mistake. Yours was a hundred times bigger. Rooney won everything in the game:D:o

thats exactly what i meant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't think Ronaldo will come this season, but next season when the records are broken it might be time. Might be.

It's just my 2c

rooney is class, I wouldn't swap him for any striker in the league maybe apart from Aguero and even at that there would be a lot of thought about it

You know I'm being sarcastic though right?

It's pointless saying well if this youth prodigy followed the exact steps as Ronaldo, he will be as good as Ronaldo.
    If that was the case , you could field a team of Ronaldos.

Sport and natural talent dosent work that way .

But he didnt say that. He said if Rooney led a similar lifestyle and did similar gym work, implying if he looked after himself better he would have been a lot closer to that level.

Rooney wasnt just a youth prodigy, he was among the elite players on the planet in his early to mid 20s.

Your goal post shifting is very amusing. Outside of Aguero and possibly Costa, Rooney is better than any other striker City or Chelsea have. And to say Arsenal, who finished above us the last 2 seasons and qualifiy for the CL every season aren't a top club is laughable.

So you admit Chelseas and Citys first choice strikers are better than Rooney? That's the point I was making. Arsenal aren't a top club who challenge for leagues and European cups. Why wrong with that statement? They have never won a European cup and haven't won the league in 11 years. Chelsea and city will be challenging for the league next year. These are then two teams we must compare ourselves to. In Europe we need to be competing with Barca, Real and Bayern if we want to compete at that level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would have Aguero over Rooney, but that's not saying much as I regard Aguero as maybe the best player in the league on his day.

When he is100% he is the best IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Editor-in-chief of Sport-Express.ru. Russian football, LFC and less important stuff here.

Sounds well sourced...

Ronaldo will break the goalscoring record for Madrid and probably then bugger off to the MLS. Maybe then the ridiculous pining for him will finally be over.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sounds well sourced...

Ronaldo will break the goalscoring record for Madrid and probably then bugger off to the MLS. Maybe then the ridiculous pining for him will finally be over.

NEVERRRRRRR!!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

So you admit Chelseas and Citys first choice strikers are better than Rooney? That's the point I was making. Arsenal aren't a top club who challenge for leagues and European cups. Why wrong with that statement? They have never won a European cup and haven't won the league in 11 years. Chelsea and city will be challenging for the league next year. These are then two teams we must compare ourselves to. In Europe we need to be competing with Barca, Real and Bayern if we want to compete at that level

Do you think Morata & Tevez are better than Rooney? Because I certainly don't and they've just won a top European league & finished as runners-up in Europe.

Ha, describing wanting one of the best players in the game back as ridiculous pining and then saying he will bugger off the the MLS after breaking Madridds goal scoring record. Only on tinternet would you read such mad gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ha, describing wanting one of the best players in the game back as ridiculous pining and then saying he will bugger off the the MLS after breaking Madridds goal scoring record. Only on tinternet would you read such mad gems.

Don't make me remind you again. Over 30 = glue. It doesn't matter if you're still better than basically everyone else in the game.

Do you think Morata & Tevez are better than Rooney? Because I certainly don't and they've just won a top European league & finished as runners-up in Europe.

We aren't in serie A. Our competition is Chelsea and city and they have better strikers. Of course we could have a good run in the European cup anyone can in a cup competition

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement