Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Tugboats wrote: »
    We aren't in serie A. Our competition is Chelsea and city and they have better strikers. Of course we could have a good run in the European cup anyone can in a cup competition

You said Europe, specifically mentioning competing with Barcelona, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich.
    We have the worst striker out of all the top European and Pl teams but let's talk about LVG punishing Fellaini(One of the few who saved LVGs job)
    So you admit Chelseas and Citys first choice strikers are better than Rooney? That's the point I was making. Arsenal aren't a top club who challenge for leagues and European cups. Why wrong with that statement? They have never won a European cup and haven't won the league in 11 years. Chelsea and city will be challenging for the league next year. These are then two teams we must compare ourselves to. In Europe we need to be competing with Barca, Real and Bayern if we want to compete at that level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sounds well sourced...

Ronaldo will break the goalscoring record for Madrid and probably then bugger off to the MLS. Maybe then the ridiculous pining for him will finally be over.

I'm willing to put good money on he won't go to MLS. I'd even give ya 4 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Ronaldo surely can't happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

This thread needs a signing before it's too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

You said Europe, specifically mentioning competing with Barcelona, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich.

They are the team's you have to match and compete with. Should we aspire to get to semi finals and finals and lose? Juventus lost. In the premier league we have to compete with Chelsea and City if we want to want the league. Many here are now saying chelsea and City have better strikers than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

magnumbud wrote: »
    last 3 seasons muller has scored more than 20 a season.
    Obvs league goals tbf

Indeed, the discussion about Rooney was 20+ league goals a season, when the much lauded Muller hasn't been doing that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How much would a 25 year old Rooney who is constantly in amazing shape, displays the best attitude in the game and would play any position on the pitch without complaint be worth?

Muller is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

:rolleyes:
    Every second post

1400084863723.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This thread needs a signing before it's too late.

Even an Ed sponcership deal at this stage!!

They are the team's you have to match and compete with. Should we aspire to get to semi finals and finals and lose? Juventus lost. In the premier league we have to compete with Chelsea and City if we want to want the league. Many here are now saying chelsea and City have better strikers than us.

yes Juve lost but so did.. Guess who... Bayern,City, Chelsea, Real :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm willing to put good money on he won't go to MLS. I'd even give ya 4 seasons.

PSG would be my bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't make me remind you again. Over 30 = glue. It doesn't matter if you're still better than basically everyone else in the game.

Don't recall saying anything about his age.

astradave wrote: »
    yes Juve lost but so did.. Guess who... Bayern,City, Chelsea, Real :eek:

At least these teams start off the season with the goal of winning leagues and European cups. We don't. Do you not think we should try and compete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

At least these teams start off the season with the goal of winning leagues and European cups. We don't. Do you not think we should try and compete?

Does the team not start off wanting to win?
    Id reckon they do. Do you post your arbritary goals to them?

You're moving the goalposts again, but i will answer.

Who says we don't, the goal is always to win trophies, LVG stated at the start of the year last season that we were aiming for the League. Just because we also have a minimum goal set does not mean that we only set out to achieve that.. the minimum goal last year was to get 4th. Do you think the players and LVG were happy to finish 4th when they had chances to finish higher up? I don't!

IMO i don't think they were happy that they didn't achieve their main goals or win a trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't recall saying anything about his age.

Much of human interaction relies on subtext. MLS is the glue factory.

Does the team not start off wanting to win?
    Id reckon they do. Do you post your arbritary goals to them?

I don't think the club has ambitions to win titles if we start the season with Wayne Rooney up front. Champions league Is a certainty this season as we are now miles ahead of Spurs, Southampton and Liverpool. Maybe the club are happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I don't think the club has ambitions to win titles if we start the season with Wayne Rooney up front. Champions league Is a certainty this season as we are now miles ahead of Spurs, Southampton and Liverpool. Maybe the club are happy with that.

So now you know better than the club?
    You also think they are stupid, so yes you do.

What makes you more informed than the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Is this still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

this thread today.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't think the club has ambitions to win titles if we start the season with Wayne Rooney up front.

So you know that United don't have ambitions to win titles because Rooney is playing up front.
    And you know that Rooney isn't good enough to play up front, because if he was, he'd be playing for a club with ambitions to win titles.
    All perfectly clear

Feck this, I'm going back to posting Gifs and thank whoring.. this is what happens when I start a debate.. sorry lads :pac:

wD719.gif

How about we all just "agree" Rooney is **** and let Tugboats toddle off and then see if the thread rediscovers sanity? This has gone on for hours and pages and is going nowhere fast.

So now you know better than the club?
    You also think they are stupid, so yes you do.

What makes you more informed than the club?

If the club dont try and match or better what City and Chelsea have it means that aren't serious about winning leagues. I guess we'll find out soon enough. At the moment the current squad will finish 4th or maybe squeeze 3rd but along way from the top 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I hope City don't sign KDB, looks a huge talent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote: »
    Feck this, I'm going back to posting Gifs and thank whoring.. this is what happens when I start a debate.. sorry lads :pac:

wD719.gif

Is that supposed to be Tugboats Dave...
    He make a purty girl ......

After the last number of hours of the thread i'm like

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif?1377793573

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

bangkok wrote: »
    Rooney was never going to be a Ronaldo or a Messi though

Probably the most naturally gifted English player of the last 30 years.

If he plays up front this season and remains injury free I have no doubt he will score 20+ goals this season

Not even in the top 3 naturally gifted players of the last 30 years.
    Scholes
    Hoddle
    Gascoigne

to name a few were all far more naturally gifted than Rooney.

Rooney is a very good player but is not consistent enough to be labelled with the greats IMO.

Augero, Lewandoski, Suarez, Benzama, Ibrahomivic are all better than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

even as a critic of Rooney I would disagree with that. Rooney is fine for competing for the title imo; the league is about getting results all season long and Rooney, if fit/available and mostly on form will be enough to help towards that. We should be able to compete with the better sides in the league games too, with a sorted defence and midfield I'd be confident enough of results vs everyone. The issue is when we need actual wins in the cup competitions where I feel Rooney won't bag that one chance he gets - but you are painting him as if we are relying on Soldado or Welbeck to win us the title.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not even in the top 3 naturally gifted players of the last 30 years.
    Scholes
    Hoddle
    Gascoigne

to name a few were all far more naturally gifted than Rooney.

Rooney is a very good player but is not consistent enough to be labelled with the greats IMO.

Augero, Lewandoski, Suarez, Benzama, Ibrahomivic are all better than him
    Natural gifts I would have him up there with anyone - it is progression on those gifts that has let him down (relatively speaking, imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

To me Rooney is like Giggs. In terms of going down as a club legend, but at the same time never being linked to a top European club during his career. Maybe United is Rooney's glass ceiling (not that it isn't a bad thing of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If the club dont try and match or better what City and Chelsea have it means that aren't serious about winning leagues. I guess we'll find out soon enough. At the moment the current squad will finish 4th or maybe squeeze 3rd but along way from the top 2

The club are spending huge amount of money to put The club back on top if you think they are spending money to scrape 3rd spot your a strange man. We can't go and by 11 world class players in one window we have to priorities the positions and so far what we have signed so far were the biggest priorities maybe apart from a cb, but I think its unfair to judge a teams ambition before the window is even half ways threw.

I must say I do like Tugboats belief that 20+ goal striker is needed for a title challenge.

Would Charlie Austin (18 goals last year) get us to 2nd/3rd?
    Would Harry Kane (21 goals) get us a treble?

Tugboats has got this sport to a T.

Why do we waste money on Darmian & Schneiderlin. We only need Kane and his 21 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How I feel about the last 20 pages

tumblr_me1pha0Pcu1rnr47go1_250.gif

I say if United bought Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Otamendi, Ramos, and kept ADM and DDG, you would still see people complain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

They could give us cash + Muller or Lewandowski. I'm sure a deal could be done
    It's worth a try. Rooney can do things with ease that they can't do in Germany

Lol Bayern fan (of sorts) here. You could give me 2 Rooneys and I wouldn't give you Mueller.

I say if United bought Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Otamendi, Ramos, and kept ADM and DDG, you would still see people complain..

Wheres Pogba? You cant win a title without Pogba :P

To me Rooney is like Giggs. In terms of going down as a club legend, but at the same time never being linked to a top European club during his career. Maybe United is Rooney's glass ceiling (not that it isn't a bad thing of course)

I do believe that Juve (in their pomp) the Milan clubs and Bayern all enquired after Giggs at different times. He didn't want to leave. And TBF Giggsy never rocked the boat with Fergie and its why he's held in such high regard.

Nail on the head my friend ;)

If we still played valencia at right back we'd have full justification!

• Advertisement

Christ Kew how does that team line up

DDG
    Ramos Otamendi
    Schneiderlin Schweini
    Di Maria Depay
    Ronaldo Rooney Messi
    Aguero

I must say I do like Tugboats belief that 20+ goal striker is needed for a title challenge.

Would Charlie Austin (18 goals last year) get us to 2nd/3rd?
    Would Harry Kane (21 goals) get us a treble?

Tugboats has got this sport to a T.

Why do we waste money on Darmian & Schneiderlin. We only need Kane and his 21 goals

I'm talking about a striker because that's what we are discussing at the moment. Of course it's about the whole team. I said yesterday to compete we need a CB(I hope that's being worked on) and a forward. If we got 2 CBs and a forward I think we would win it not just challenge

If we still played valencia at right back we'd have full justification!

Well I be in agreement there. Let's hope this Young Italian knocks him out.

brinty wrote: »
    Christ Kew how does that team line up

DDG
    Ramos Otamendi
    Schneiderlin Schweini
    Di Maria Depay
    Ronaldo Rooney Messi
    Aguero

Ya who needs defenders. ;)

Well I be in agreement there. Let's hope this Young Italian knocks him out.

You see the size of Valencia? He'd fecking destroy Darmian in a fight, stop talking crazy Kew...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm talking about a striker because that's what we are discussing at the moment. Of course it's about the whole team. I said yesterday to compete we need a CB(I hope that's being worked on) and a forward. If we got 2 CBs and a forward I think we would win it not just challenge

Even if we do sign two CBs and a forward it will still be Rooney starting up front so how can we win the title by your reckoning.

It's such a nonsense to say Utd can't win the league with Rooney playing up front, both from a statistical and common sense point of view. I'm surprised you've gotten so much mileage out of such nonsense on here(says me, adding to it!)

You see the size of Valencia? He'd fecking destroy Darmian in a fight, stop talking crazy Kew...

Hey by todays standards thats one of the least crazy statements tbh

adox wrote: »
    Even if we do sign two CBs and a forward it will still be Rooney starting up front so how can we win the title by your reckoning.

It's such a nonsense to say Utd can't win the league with Rooney playing up front, both from a statistical and common sense point of view. I'm surprised you've gotten so much mileage out of such nonsense on here(says me, adding to it!)

Why would Rooney be playing if we bought somebody better?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Why would Rooney be playing if we bought somebody better?

Rooney will be starting up front next season. You had better get used to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement