Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya who needs defenders. ;)

Ossie Ardiles didnt need them when he was at Spurs

That went well :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

adox wrote: »
    Rooney will be starting up front next season. You had better get used to it.

He probably will and we'll finish 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tugboats wrote: »

So you have said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is on that one?

So you have said..

Do you not think it's disappointing that for the first-time in years we're throwing mega money (transfer fees and wages) at rebuilding yet Rooneys position is 100% secure? We neglected the midfield for years and now seem to happy to repeat this mistake as we let Rooney stink up the forward line for 300k pw for the next 3 or 4 seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Do you not think it's disappointing that for the first-time in years we're throwing mega money (transfer fees and wages) at rebuilding yet Rooneys position is 100% secure? We neglected the midfield for years and now seem to happy to repeat this mistake as we let Rooney stink up the forward line for 300k pw for the next 3 or 4 seasons

Tell us how you really feel about him haha

Liam O wrote: »
    Do you want to put your money where your mouth is on that one?

Get back to me after deadline day. We may squeeze 3rd depending on defenders. We have zero chance of a top two finish if you want to take that bet now?

It is interesting the disconnect between some people slating Rooney for not scoring over 20 goals every season, and then others talking about spending €100m on Muller who averages what, around 13 goals a season? Rooney gets seriously underappreciated sometimes, especially when it comes to comparisons with whoever the shiny new flavour of the month is.

Are you seriously referring to Muller as a shiny new flavour of the month?

Get back to me after deadline day. We may squeeze 3rd depending on defenders. We have zero chance of a top two finish if you want to take that bet now?

Zero chance? What odds would you give us?

Ha your username is apt for your constant shifting of the goalposts...:pac:

• Advertisement

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The last time Rooney was allowed to "stink up the forward line" he scored 34 goals, and almost a goal a game in the premier league. He is up with Bobby Charlton and Dennis Law in the United goal scoring records, and he will finish his career as the greatest all time United goal scorer.

Tough to take, but you have a few more years of his career to adjust to it.

My only concern about United's forward line is if the likes of Hernandez is good enough if Rooney were to be injured. As first pick, I have no doubts that Rooney will score 20+ PL goals next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

If Rooney is the main striker, we will need Depay, DiMaria and Mata to share the load as he is rarely a prolific striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Not sure if this is the right page to post this but Anyone know where I could get or anyone have any jurgi Lowe videos from his Karlsruher SC days?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right page to post this but Anyone know where I could get or anyone have any jurgi Lowe videos from his Karlsruher SC days?????

Its not but considering how this thread has been welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

LVG knows what he is doing by annoucing Rooney as main striker. He is the captain and highest paid player and he always says thats his best position.

If it works out (25+ goals, IMO 20+ is not enough return for a player of his stature) then LVG will be close to the trophies.

If it doesn't then LVG will be able to get rid without anyone complaining. It is a big year for Rooney (I'm sure he is well up for it) but this time next year could see Rooney going the same way as RVP (out the door rather than Turkey!).

Leroy42 wrote: »
    LVG knows what he is doing by annoucing Rooney as main striker. He is the captain and highest paid player and he always says thats his best position.

If it works out (25+ goals, IMO 20+ is not enough return for a player of his stature) then LVG will be close to the trophies.

If it doesn't then LVG will be able to get rid without anyone complaining. It is a big year for Rooney (I'm sure he is well up for it) but this time next year could see Rooney going the same way as RVP (out the door rather than Turkey!).

When Rooney fails to hit those targets it will be hard to move him. No club will touch him because of the wages. He will go from stinking up our forward line to stinking up our bench and payroll. This farce begun when Moyes and Woodward gave him this contract.

When Rooney fails to hit those targets it will be hard to move him. No club will touch him because of the wages. He will go from stinking up our forward line to stinking up our bench and payroll. This farce begun when Moyes and Woodward gave him this contract.

By that logic how exactly are Utd supposed to get rid of him this window?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Caller on MUTV not convinced by Rooney... :pac:

By that logic how exactly are Utd supposed to get rid of him this window?

A season on the bench might not appeal to him with the Euros coming up. He may agree to join a club on less money.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Lol Bayern fan (of sorts) here. You could give me 2 Rooneys and I wouldn't give you Mueller.

I'm just back from a long weekend in the Bayern region working at a summer festival of a lower league soccer club which I do every other year. Given United signed Schweinsteiger the week before my arrival, and the fact that many of the guys I was interacting with were diehard Bayern fans, Schweini might have come up in conversation just once or twice over the weekend. The general vibe is the obvious one - club legend, wish him well, still has a lot to offer as a player and leader, and there were some laughs had.

However, I do distinctly remember a break in the laughter when I said something along the lines of "We will be back for Thomas Muller soon!" - That is when a man knows that it is like to have 3 Bavarians look at him like he had just took a shít on the floor. Of course the craic continued, but any notion of Muller leaving Bayern now for any team was a non-runner for them.

Unfortunately they and I know nothing about the dealings within a top football club, but I've long reckoned (going back 2-3 years anyway) that Muller would be at Bayern for the majority of his career or at least through the peak of it akin to Schweinsteiger. From my experiences in the Bayern region in particular, there is a reason we don't see many top tier Bavarian born players make it over to the Premier League. Any child there who is a soccer fan comes up with Bayern Munich in their blood, and to get to play for BM would be the realisation of a life's dream. Something along the lines of DDG and his desire to go to RM I suppose, no matter how unappealing a notion that seems to us non-fans of the club. Anyway, I'm going a long-about way of saying that I reckon that Thomas Muller is exactly where he wants to be, and Munich itself and the Bayern region as his home are beautiful.

As much as I can't see it happening, I do think LVG wants Muller at United. I'm a fan myself, but €100m? I'm not sure. I'm not a fan who stresses too much over club finances as that's the job of their expert accountants, I'd be just worried about the precedent it would set for us in transfers down the line. I know ADM was a wild price last season, but I can only say that now in hindsight because I'm sure at the time I had no problem at all with it and ADM's stock was quite high. €100m for any player who is not Ronaldo or Messi? He'd want to be a guaranteed fúcking goal machine.

Unless there's an irreparable breakdown in the relationship between Muller and Guardiola (which I don't know), or Bayern are strapped for cash (which they're not) I can't see Muller going anywhere right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rooney will be at United til the day he retires, some people don't like that tough, deal with it.

Rooney is joint 5th with Benteke to finish top goalscorer on Boylesports:o That's his level and people here are happy that he's leading the line for Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Rooney is worth twice of Muller more like. Jesus some of you seem to forget how good Rooney is. What is your argument here? He started up front in two years and scored 25+ each in the PL alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Rooney is joint 5th with Benteke to finish top goalscorer on Boylesports:o That's his level and people here are happy that he's leading the line for Utd

Are you still on about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What has a bookies odds on top scorer to do with like anything?

Are you still on about this?

Most believe we are working on a CB so Rooney is now the weakest link of the team. Its worth discussing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Those odds arent an indicator in "his level". Just his stature in the team. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Last season, for example he wasnt the main striker so the odds of him finishing top scorer reflected that. They still do with the bookies assuming "mystery striker" will be the main man.

If Rooney starts the season as the main striker, those odds will tumble for sure. He'll likely be 2nd favourite behind Costa if no other world class striker is signed. Maybe 3rd favourite behind Aguero. Certainly wont be behind Benteke.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jesus, who gives a damn where Rooney is with bookies in terms of goals scored for the coming season, smh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What's the story with Pedro lads? ... see him heavily linked again just now by Andy Mitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

irishfeen wrote: »
    What's the story with Pedro lads? ... see him heavily linked again just now by Andy Mitten.

i reckon theres a great chance we are signing him and if we did, it would be the best signing weve had (excluding Di Maria) since RVP.

smashing player, even better with the prices rumoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishfeen wrote: »

Think it's a good one, but means ADM is leaving.

My 2c again.

Most believe we are working on a CB so Rooney is now the weakest link of the team. Its worth discussing

No it really isn't. Not for hours on end when every possible aspect of it has been exhausted apart from your clear bias towards Rooney.

Seems to me Rooney is the new De Gea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

i reckon theres a great chance we are signing him and if we did, it would be the best signing weve had (excluding Di Maria) since RVP.

I'd put him up there near Sanchez for arsenal in terms of ability would you? I certainly won't be turning my nose up at it if he is signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Ah the bookies. It must be true.

If it is for 22m, it'd be a great buy. Would you worry about his lack of physicality in the league though? I'm not saying that in the clichéd notion of any foreigner coming to the league rather looking at the likes of Navas and Di Maria that have struggled at times.

It was discussed. To be fair the Rooney discussion today has exhausted a bit where points are repeated, I'm guilty of this too.

You keep just posting about how bad he is. It's got to a point where you are not discussing it with people anymore but rather just posting how awful you think he is every few minutes. Fair enough you don't like the guy but I wouldn't call posting how you think he "stinks up the place" and things like bookies odds for him being top scorer.

I imagine most of the points people have defending and criticising him have both been made. Not saying it isn't worth discussing but since it's moved away from discussing with people and rather just reiterating how much you dislike him it is understandable people are now a bit fed up of it and would rather a new topic .

Think it's a good one, but means ADM is leaving.

My 2c again.
    I'm almost resigned to the fact we're losing Di Maria... if he was definitely staying you would think of all people LVG would say it out straight.

Di Maria off would pay for a defender and Pedro meaning we still have only spent about 75m. We could still easily bring in a ' marque' signing for 50+ plus. Good business get It done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not even in the top 3 naturally gifted players of the last 30 years.
    Scholes
    Hoddle
    Gascoigne

to name a few were all far more naturally gifted than Rooney.

Rooney is a very good player but is not consistent enough to be labelled with the greats IMO.

Augero, Lewandoski, Suarez, Benzama, Ibrahomivic are all better than him

Naturally gifted as in scoring a brilliant goal v arsenal as a 16 year old, playing like a man when he was a boy, technically miles ahead of most players in the league, dragging England through euro 2004 as an 18 year old.

Nothing to do with labelling him as a player, he was more naturally gifted than any of the players you mentioned

Finally got to watch the math today, poor second half but decent performance first half.

A lot of nice build up with the final ball or product just a bit sloppy as is understandable during pre season.

Loved how Depay got in the box a lot, hopefully he tears up the league. Looking forward to hopefully seeing lingard and pereira getting some first team football throughout the year with all the games too.

Also is Lindegaard seeing out his contract? Interesting if VG sees Johnstone ahead of him in pecking order or not. Also we'll see the defence tested a lot more on Saturday. It will be interesting.

https://twitter.com/telegraaf/status/623934384723357696

"Van Gaal takes out old friend Romero to Manchester United"

This lad getting close by the sounds of it!

From De Telegraaf - (Basically the clubs newspaper at this stage!)
    Sergio Romero continued his career at Manchester United. The goalkeeper of Argentina , according to La Gazzetta dello Sport agreed a three-year contract and an annual salary of 1.8 million euros.

Coach Louis van Gaal United Romero knows from his time as head coach of AZ. The Argentinian below the bar he led the formation in 2009 to the second league title in club history.

Van Gaal was with United looking for a first choice goalkeeper behind David de Gea , which is in the interest of Real Madrid. The days of goalkeeper Victor Valdes are counted after a recent collision with Van Gaal. Romero decided last summer his expiring contract at Sampdoria not renew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bookies ahve us for 4th in the league, that our level ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Seems to me Rooney is the new De Gea Welbeck....

FYP:D

Looks as good as done if de telegraaf are on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Always liked Romero from the few times a year I'd see him. Always wondered why he never made the move to a big club despite always impressing for the Argies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Liam O wrote: »
    Always liked Romero from the few times a year I'd see him. Always wondered why he never made the move to a big club despite always impressing for the Argies.

Yeah thought he always looked solid when I saw him for Argentina

Never really watched him bar a few Argentina matches. Is he good enough for no.1 or just very decent back up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement