Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kstand wrote: »
    i wonder is there any substance in the theory that the club is holding off on unveiling/signing new players until the Adidas deal comes into effect?

There could be - an argument can be made for that to be the case.

However, I would hope there is nothing in it. Surely none of Woodward, LVG or adidas would be crazy enough to put CL qualification in question, in the first month of a 10 year deal, by delaying transfers. Sure, they would love to parade the players in adidas rather than Nike, but surely they want the CL exposure more?

I could see, for example, a deal for a marque signing being arranged for August - Bale for example - but I can't imagine the club would risk CL or signings by waiting to complete deals on the eve of the season, not for all positions, and not for key positions.

bangkok wrote: »
    short answer, no. why would they

because adidas could be screaming down the phone at them every day demanding they hold off so that new signings are being paraded in the new adidas kit rather than their rival Nike. The adidas board might not be as concerned with a 4 week wait on signings as LVG would, for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adidas may well want the marquee signing delayed until their deal takes effect, but that does not necessarily mean all signings would be delayed until that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

because adidas could be screaming down the phone at them every day demanding they hold off so that new signings are being paraded in the new adidas kit rather than their rival Nike. The adidas board might not be as concerned with a 4 week wait on signings as LVG would, for example

to be honest I doubt it matters that much. Depay was pictured in the nike jersey, a few photos, move on. When the adidas deal kicks in there will be a big launch and all the players will then be pictured in the Adidas gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I doubt this is happening, what probably happened (if anything did) is that at the time of negotiations about the new deal it would have been discussed then, given that everyone involved would have known the date implications, and an arrangement arrived at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

However, I would hope there is nothing in it. Surely none of Woodward, LVG or adidas would be crazy enough to put CL qualification in question,

Genuine question, why would unveiling new signings on 1st August jeopardise CL qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

KH25 wrote: »
    I think we will sign Schneiderlin this week. And with the Copa over, Otamendi by next week. Hopefully Ramos soon after.

#ChooChoo

Good. Let the positivity flow.

Van-Gaal4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

bangkok wrote: »
    to be honest I doubt it matters that much. Depay was pictured in the nike jersey, a few photos, move on. When the adidas deal kicks in there will be a big launch and all the players will then be pictured in the Adidas gear.

It's hard to know, I can imagine UTD telling Adidas where to go if they asked for signings to be held back but for the amount of money involved perhaps it is written into the contract.

My take on the whole is it reasonable/rational to be wound up by the lack of signings is that it is to early to tell. If the signings drag on but we end up getting top class players in mid August then that will be fine by me. If it drags on and we miss Ramos etc and end up with Ron Vlaar then it won't be.

The type of signing could impact any adidas issues - the more marketable the player is, the more of an issue it might be.

If we sign Otamendi, regardless of price, no one will really care. Same with Darmian or Coleman, for example. An announcement by the club, a few official photos, done.

If we were to sign someone like Bale, Ronaldo, Pogba (not saying we will get any of that ilk) then I would imagine the club would want to make a massive deal of it - massive press coverage, banner ads, announcements everywhere in all markets - and if we do that in July all those photos and ads will have Nike all over them.

• Advertisement

Genuine question, why would unveiling new signings on 1st August jeopardise CL qualification?

Because if we are holding off signing them (to not show them in Nike) we aren't playing them on the US tour, they aren't training with the other players in the Nike training gear. If we don't sign a player til August, the chances of him being up to speed in time for the CL qualifier are slim - which means going with the current squad - which you would have to imagine is weaker than the squad we would hope to have in place by the end of the window. So, by deliberately delaying the improvement of the team, you are risking the performances in the opening stages of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If the current squad can't qualify and beat a second tier team they don't deserve to be there.
    The current team without signings are well able to beat any team and have proved that during the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

messi is sponsored by Adidas, but Barcelona is sponsored by Nike, so whenever you see Messi he is covered in Nike training gear etc.

Ronaldo is sponsored by Nike, but Real are sponsored by Adidas so the majority of his photos he is pictured all in adidas.

It doesn't really effect how they are marketed, the still earn Millions from both sponsorship deals.

Having a player in Nike gear for the next 4 weeks is not that big a deal when you consider they will be in Adidas gear for the next 10 years, so if a player can be signed today, tomorrow, next week, whenever, I doubt Adidas really give 2 ****s as they are in partnership for the next 10 years.

Maybe it's just me but I find this whole adidas conspiracy a bit daft. Can't imagine anything like this at all to be honest.

With new signings people are going to buy the new kit with these players names on it whether or not they are announced before or after the new kit. When adidas unveil the kit no doubt they will want to use the big star name players and a new guy to drum up sales and promotion. Surely you would need the player in so before the big kit unveiling.

Also I imagine that adidas are going to make a bomb from merchandise sales regardless so won't worry too much about United bringing in players before their shirt.

The whole idea that VG would be quiet and happy about not bringing in anyone because of what adidas want rather than what he wants is highly unlikely. Don't buy into these conspiracies at all and feel it's just people trying to find some other reasoning for business not being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I find this whole adidas conspiracy a bit daft. Can't imagine anything like this at all to be honest.

People are just searching for all sort of excuses for not signing anyone after the season was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Bayern, Barca and Madrid have been quiet too in Market.

Now of course its fair to say we need most investment too of any team I mentioned, but it does show that there for some reason is a slowness to get players in or out.

What is it 21 transfers for all PL clubs so far?

City are club who have millions and need good season and they have not exactly been first out of traps.

• Advertisement

Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Bayern, Barca and Madrid have been quiet too in Market.

Now of course its fair to say we need most investment too of any team I mentioned, but it does show that there for some reason is a slowness to get players in or out.

What is it 21 transfers for all PL clubs so far?

City are club who have millions and need good season and they have not exactly been first out of traps.

If their main target is Pogba, I can see that dragging til mid July, and the announcement of the new Barca president, as I reckon that will have an impact on any move for Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

As for worrying about it not being done - how about worrying about it only getting done for backup options like Blind and Rojo in the last week of the window, meaning more 'good' players at United rather than great?

You're already setting up your next batch of moaning for when do actually make signings but just not the signings you want....

Painful stuff

ericzeking wrote: »
    You're already setting up your next batch of moaning for when do actually make signings but just not the signings you want....

Painful stuff

GFY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If Otamendi is being signed it may take another couple of weeks as I presume he'll go on holiday now. Hopefully Schneiderlin can be sorted out by next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone see Raymond Domenech (spelling, ex French manager) comments about United and that Schneiderlin should sign for us because we're way behind City and Arsenal... That he should 'settle' for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Trilla wrote: »
    Anyone see Raymond Domenech (spelling, ex French manager) comments about United and that Schneiderlin should sign for us because we're way behind City and Arsenal... That he should 'settle' for us.

That's twice now he has opened his trap stating we are not a top club. What exactly is his problem?

The man who would wants to manage Ireland someday. Now that is settling, and I love me country.

As in Raymond Domenech the manager who after guiding them to the world cup final in his first campaign then went on to finish last in both the Euros and World Cup group stages? The one who lost complete respect and control of his players in the 2010 world cup, lots of which had worked with him in under 21s? The one whos players went on a boycott? The one regarded by many French fans as one of their worst managers they've had and he hasn't managed anywhere else since?

.. I'm sure Scheneiderlin values his opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

https://twitter.com/alexshawespn/status/617994351575179265

Let's hope we manage to bag one or two this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

irishfeen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/alexshawespn/status/617994351575179265

Let's hope we manage to bag one or two this week!

we will
    #choochoo
    #PositivityTrain
    #stayonboard

Schneiderlin and Otamendi will be signed this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He's a crackpot. You're talking about a guy here who wouldn't play certain players because of their star signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

he also said last week that Lloris to united would be a sideways step and a wasted move. sounds like he has some sort of grudge against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

He's a crackpot. You're talking about a guy here who wouldn't play certain players because of their star signs.

He also wants to manage Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Trond wrote: »
    He also wants to manage Ireland :eek:

maybe he feels he owes us after the henry incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Domenech is the 2 ends of an ape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

kstand wrote: »
    Domenech is the 2 ends of an ape.

I have never heard that before.

What is 2 ends of an ape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I have never heard that before.

What is 2 ends of an ape?

Another way of saying he is an ape from head to toe.

magnumbud wrote: »

Haven't we suffered enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

magnumbud wrote: »

Tell him its ok fifa have already fixed up their bill for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm reasonably confident signings will be announced this week.

If we go to the US with no new signings, I'll be off the train, and will be pissed off at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

When we flying to US?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

hopefully this week will yield some signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Getting worked up over having not made signings nearly 2 months before the window closes and before the clear out has been completed just seems like a lot of wasted energy to me. Some of the reasoning that some have given seems to be under the assumption that there's only 1 plane to America that United players can make and that LVG has some huge role in the negotiating prices.

One worry that I would have is that LVG has been a bit dodgy with his selections so far and seems to put a preference on players who work really hard and are functional over players who can make an impact in other ways. His WC team had some very skilful players but were awful to watch in most games and there were a few baffling selections last season. We'll see on that front I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    When we flying to US?

13th July

bullvine wrote: »
    When we flying to US?
    Next monday I think.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Getting worked up over having not made signings nearly 2 months before the window closes and before the clear out has been completed just seems like a lot of wasted energy to me. Some of the reasoning that some have given seems to be under the assumption that there's only 1 plane to America that United players can make and that LVG has some huge role in the negotiating prices.

One worry that I would have is that LVG has been a bit dodgy with his selections so far and seems to put a preference on players who work really hard and are functional over players who can make an impact in other ways. His WC team had some very skilful players but were awful to watch in most games and there were a few baffling selections last season. We'll see on that front I guess.

Not at all, I just am of the opinion that it's best that we have signings in before then so the group can be exactly that, a group.
    I've no doubt that players will be brought in after the trip, and possibly during it, and I'll welcome them too if they're the right signings, but surely you can see that there is merit in wanting the squad to be as much in place as possible before we travel on a two week long tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky Italia saying Torino have rejected United's first bid of €15 million for Darmian,but United will push for a transfer.

At least it seems we are making bids opposed to 'preparing' them.

Just to add, having players in before the end of the window is a completely different thing than having players in before the start of the season - a player signing on deadline day will have missed 4 premier league games and both legs of the Champions League playoff.

Take it that those games may not go well; who knows what impact a deadline day signing could have made in those 6 games! Business needs to be done, at the very latest, before the first week of August, but my ideal situation is that players are signed for pre-season.

zerks wrote: »
    Sky Italia saying Torino have rejected United's first bid of €15 million for Darmian,but United will push for a transfer.

At least it seems we are making bids opposed to 'preparing' them.

But now we are "preparing to make" another bid.... :confused:

Plus its sky.... there as bad as the red tops....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Next monday I think.

Not at all, I just am of the opinion that it's best that we have signings in before then so the group can be exactly that, a group.
    I've no doubt that players will be brought in after the trip, and possibly during it, and I'll welcome them too if they're the right signings, but surely you can see that there is merit in wanting the squad to be as much in place as possible before we travel on a two week long tour.

Of course it has merit, however if you look at every other top team bar maybe Juve, you will see it's probably unrealistic to have that hope. Especially when a much touted target is on a break after the Copa America (Otamendi) and most players and managers go on their holidays in June. Like I said, it'd be great but I'm not going to get upset about it, it's not that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I heard Ed is a huge Game of Thrones fan and as such does all his transfer negotiations via raven. Thats why we are always "preparing a bid". Ed is #KingoftheNorth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Reports in Antonio Valencia, the Manchester United right back spent his summer in India learning the ancient art of Hypnosis from the Goan Monks in a bid to convince Daniel Cyne to join Liverpool instead of his own club.

Liam O wrote: »
    Of course it has merit, however if you look at every other top team bar maybe Juve, you will see it's probably unrealistic to have that hope. Especially when a much touted target is on a break after the Copa America (Otamendi) and most players and managers go on their holidays in June. Like I said, it'd be great but I'm not going to get upset about it, it's not that big a deal.

That's fair enough. And maybe the "I'll be pissed off" line I used earlier is a little strong. Probably fairer to say that I'll be disappointed.
    I'm not going to shout and roar and rant about it just yet. But ask me again this day week.

Reports in Antonio Valencia, the Manchester United right back spent his summer in India learning the ancient art of Hypnosis from the Goan Monks in a bid to convince Daniel Cyne to join Liverpool instead of his own club.

Tony V said he'd release the incriminating pictures he has of Clyne if he did come to United...

Tony V still has incriminating evidence on Fergie, Moyes and LvG locked away....

LeeJM wrote: »
    I heard Ed is a huge Game of Thrones fan and as such does all his transfer negotiations via raven. Thats why we are always "preparing a bid". Ed is #KingoftheNorth

I've got one thing to say to you

You know nothing LeeJM....................

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement