Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I agree with you here. For me he's got this season as a starter but I'd like him replaced with someone better if available. If we get a good defender in this year we can break the bank for a star striker next year.

2 CBs and a striker wins the league in my opinion. Its a shame LVG needs 12 more months to realize this but maybe hes just giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Tugboats wrote: »
    2 CBs and a striker wins the league in my opinion. Its a shame LVG needs 12 more months to realize this but maybe hes just giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself.

classy. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

bangkok wrote: »
    classy. Well done

it's a perfectly legit metaphor, used the world over.

Its 2015. I hope the club are scouting for relevant strikers that can help bring future success and not watching Rooney destroy Fenerbache on dailymotion:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rooney has won everything in the game. He has more PL goals than Aguero and we finished 4 points behind city. lol Your opinions cant be taken seriously. You still haven't addressed why you told those 3 blatant lies
    Seriously??? You of all people calling someone out for failing to address something!
    what will we call Rooney when hes plodding around the pitch trying fancy chips and failing to score 20 goals?

ozL1p6Q.gif
    Its a shame LVG needs 12 more months to realize this but maybe hes just giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself.

3.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So whats the latest??? Who are we imminently signing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Your assuming that we can gel 7 first team regulars into the team and evrrything goes well and we win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

it's a perfectly legit metaphor, used the world over.

So were phrases like "cotton picking hands" until people copped on. Blaming groupthink is no excuse.

Back on track:

Rooney is a top drawer striker, but competition is good. To suggest he's anything other than good enough is willful provocation.

De Gea is one of the worlds best, but Cillessan is a more than adequate replacement who I would welcome.

Ronaldo, while undoubtedly exceptional, should stay in Madrid. I'd rather support a team than a diva and his entourage. LVG will deliver a team.

Its 2015. I hope the club are scouting for relevant strikers that can help bring future success and not watching Rooney destroy Fenerbache on dailymotion:o

yea like Lacazette destroying Evian Thonon Gaillard and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Its a shame LVG needs 12 more months to realize this but maybe hes just giving Rooney enough rope to hang himself.
    It's a shame you're not on the management team.

Have you sent in your Championship Manager CV?

Unreal amount of new posters climbing out for the woodwork this week.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Your assuming that we can gel 7 first team regulars into the team and evrrything goes well and we win the league.

Isnt it better to buy the players we need rather than use what we have and fail?. What are our chances of success going forward with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rooney in the 1st 11? We have fixed the midfield how about fixing the CB and FW positions:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Isnt it better to buy the players we need rather than use what we have and fail?. What are our chances of success going forward with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rooney in the 1st 11? We have fixed the midfield how about fixing the CB and FW positions:confused:

what part of we are currently in the process of buying a centre back do you not understand? Also Smalling, Jones, Evans will never be in the same team together.

How about been realistic about it, if we buy too many players for the first team sm no matter how good they are there is a greater chance that the team will fail then sticking with what we know.

Surely you can see that its not about signing the best players for each position it's about building a team and having it gel and adding to it over time. I can see us getting a cb in to play alongside smalling and a striker to compete with rooney.

• Advertisement

what part of we are currently in the process of buying a centre back do you not understand? Also Smalling, Jones, Evans will never be in the same team together.

None of them should be in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im starting to believe that Rooney will be playing in goal for the oppostion for every Utd game next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It's also good to give young and developing players a chance, this is also a fundamental aspect of both Uniteds and LVGs approach rather than just splurging on the latest flavour of the month.

How can you just give up on players such as Jones and Smalling? I personally think Evans still has a role to play too. They are still young for centre halves and for once in the coming season they will have a midfield in front of them.

This time last year people had no time for Smalling yet now he is in almost everyones first X1 for the coming season.... it's not all about short terms and transfer markets...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

So our first eleven has Evans and Smalling at CB, and Phil Jones at what, right back? DM?
    Do you even watch us play?
    "Going forward" we have Darmian at right back, schweinsteiger or schneiderlin or carrick at DM, even as it stands Evans doesn't start at CB.

How about been realistic about it, if we buy too many players for the first team sm no matter how good they are there is a greater chance that the team will fail then sticking with what we know.

Surely you can see that its not about signing the best players for each position it's about building a team and having it gel and adding to it over time. I can see us getting a cb in to play alongside smalling and a striker to compete with rooney.

Id be happy enough with that this summer. Next summer we would only need another CB and be good to go then. I think this season is a great opportunity because there is no downside risk , we're so far ahead of Spurs, Southampton and Liverpool so we dont have to worry about champions league. Thats why i would like us to go all out and really go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

mcratsix wrote: »
    So our first eleven has Evans and Smalling at CB, and Phil Jones at what, right back? DM?
    Do you even watch us play?
    "Going forward" we have Darmian at right back, schweinsteiger or schneiderlin or carrick at DM, even as it stands Evans doesn't start at CB.
    Jones up front? Maybe Tugboat thinks Jones is better than Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

None of them should be in the team
    Is there any players you do like on the team? The height of miserable.

Just to add, I think Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL. People often put him and Jones in the same bracket when they are miles apart ability wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Pro. F wrote: »
    This proves the square root of fùck all. What an absolutely ridiculous method of judging a striker.

It proves (as much as stats can prove anything) that in seasons where we have had a better goal scorer up front we were more successful - ie actually won leagues. Not sure what is so mysterious about that.

So Rooneys to blame for the quality of the squad. Have a seat I dont want to scare you but theres actually 11 players on a pitch. And the idea you expect Rooney to top score, keep possession, clean sheets etc. is quite stupid. I mean Charlie Austin scored 18. Why didnt QPR finish above us?

Take a deep breathe there man - what I am saying (and the stats seem to agree) is that in seasons where we have been successful we had someone else leading the attack. Nobody is suggesting we didn't win it in other seasons because of Rooney but a key part of success is scoring more goals than anyone else and in seasons where we've been successful someone else rather than Rooney did this for us. As Rafa would say - FACT

Id be happy enough with that this summer. Next summer we would only need another CB and be good to go then. I think this season is a great opportunity because there is no downside risk , we're so far ahead of Spurs, Southampton and Liverpool so we dont have to worry about champions league. Thats why i would like us to go all out and really go for it

so even if smalling is class this season you would still like us to sign another CB? Logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL.

Mike or Chris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So were phrases like "cotton picking hands" until people copped on. Blaming groupthink is no excuse.

There is nothing wrong with the metaphor used.

Just because one isnt acceptable, it doesnt follow that all arent acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Unreal amount of new posters climbing out for the woodwork this week.

Us Jonny-Come-Lately's are clearly rubbish fans who nothing about footbal so, yeah?!

The transfer season is the only time I keep an eye on this thread, as it keeps me up to date on who we might be looking at. I don't feel the need to read it once the season is underway, and rarely feel the need to contribute my opinion, as it's just as unimportant as anyone else's here.

But still, some amount of sh*te being thrown around the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

9 times in the 23 seasons of the PL has the top scorer come from the champions.

6 times, the top scorer has been from a time outside the top 3.

2 seasons there were 3 joint top scorers. Only one of the 3 scorers were from teams in the top 3 in both cases)

Completely misunderstanding my point - I didn't say PL top goal scorer I said Manchester United top goal scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Coat22 wrote: »
    It proves (as much as stats can prove anything) that in seasons where we have had a better goal scorer up front we were more successful - ie actually won leagues. Not sure what is so mysterious about that.

Take a deep breathe there man - what I am saying (and the stats seem to agree) is that in seasons where we have been successful we had someone else leading the attack. Nobody is suggesting we didn't win it in other seasons because of Rooney but a key part of success is scoring more goals than anyone else and in seasons where we've been successful someone else rather than Rooney did this for us. As Rafa would say - FACT

No it doesn't prove anything. In 2009-10 Berba and team ****ed up against Blackburn and in 2011-12 whole team bottled it against Everton and Wigan. If not Rooney would have been top scorer for 2 more league winning seasons. It's because of him we went so close in those 2 seasons but let down by others.

What you said is a factual statement but doesn't prove anything. If anything it proves we should buy quality elsewhere and keep Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Can we get a mod in here to break up the handbags...starting to dread coming into this thread with all the bickering

• Advertisement

Us Jonny-Come-Lately's are clearly rubbish fans who nothing about footbal so, yeah?!

The transfer season is the only time I keep an eye on this thread, as it keeps me up to date on who we might be looking at. I don't feel the need to read it once the season is underway, and rarely feel the need to contribute my opinion, as it's just as unimportant as anyone else's here.

But still, some amount of sh*te being thrown around the last couple of days.
    Lol

Nope i didn't mean that at all i myself am relatively new here about 7 months at max but over the past week we have had numerous psters come in with some of the craziest ideas and continue to push that idea in the thread to clearly get a response but dont attribute anything worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What part of when Rooney scored 26 and 27 league goals we didn't win the league do you not understand? In the 13 times we won the Premier League only Ronaldo in 07/08 scored more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The thread needs a confirmed signing

All will be happy again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

ericzeking wrote: »
    It's also good to give young and developing players a chance, this is also a fundamental aspect of both Uniteds and LVGs approach rather than just splurging on the latest flavour of the month.

How can you just give up on players such as Jones and Smalling? I personally think Evans still has a role to play too. They are still young for centre halves and for once in the coming season they will have a midfield in front of them.

This time last year people had no time for Smalling yet now he is in almost everyones first X1 for the coming season.... it's not all about short terms and transfer markets...
    I would agree with a lot of this. However I think the ship has sailed with Evans. Just Dont think he will ever be good enough to be dependant on him. I would rather see McNair get some game time to develop. Dont think Blackett is good enough either. Very slow on the turn. Smalling, Jones, McNair Rojo and a new CB is enough to have.

Same up front. Wouldn't be worried to see Hernandez leave if we get another CF in. Would prefer to see Wilson get game time ahead of Hernandez

Is there any players you do like on the team? The height of miserable.

Just to add, I think Smalling is one of the best defenders in the PL. People often put him and Jones in the same bracket when they are miles apart ability wise.

Im happy with loads of players and delighted with the new signings. Theres no harm in not liking 4 players

Do you want to try and understand facts.

Q: Is Wayne Rooney better to have in an XI pushing for the title than the likes Gabriel Obertan & Bebe?

I would hope you are smart enough to realise and agree Rooney is better than the above (and other dregs we had floating around) duo.

Now it gets tricky. Are you also smart enough to realise that you need the strongest team possible to win a title? Do I want to see Obertan or Tosic trying to give the ball to Rooney to score goals? Maybe that'll work. Will more goals happen if we have Rooney supplying Berbatov? Thats far more likely than Obertan setting up Rooney.

While our midfield quality fluctuated we always had relatively strong strikers like Berbatov, Saha & Hernandez. This meant that Rooney had to plug the gaps in midfield and we still had decent goalscorers on the pitch as oppose to Rooney striker and a woeful midfield.

The stupidy in the last few days/hours is amazing. We obviously should never have played Rooney MF and only ever played him striker. And then wonder why we arent winning titles and not scoring a lot while our midfield is based around the likes of Cleverley, Anderson, Kleberson, Tosic, Obertan, Gibson & Bebe.

Reports Di Maria is done for 45m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Where would a good place to watch United games in NYC? Ill probably be over there for the 2nd leg of the champions league qualifier play off?

anyone

The thing that post does actually prove is stats are utter **** to base a flimsy argument on. Using this logic how the **** Did QPR get relegated with 18 goal Austin in the side. The should be ahead of us at least because stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Who what where why when

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would be a great deal for us if true.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

py2006 wrote: »
    Who what where why when

think that all sitll comes from that french reporters tweet yesterday

15 million loss in 12 months?

anyone

http://www.nevadasmiths.net/

Was in here when I went on then pre season tour a few years ago. They show all the games live and run trips to games

py2006 wrote: »
    Who what where why when

heard it on talksport who are saying its coming from French media now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No, it does not prove that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can we get a mod in here to break up the handbags...starting to dread coming into this thread with all the bickering

You need to report posts to get attention to them. Mods dont pro actively moderate(unless reading the thread by chance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

magnumbud wrote: »

15 million loss in 12 months?

I'd say after the season he had and the fact he wants to leave for the club he really wanted to join last summer (I think its fair to say) 15m/25% hit is not bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, pure and simple, if you've got a problem, report it. If you feel a user is breaking the charter, use the report function and explain to the mods why you think so. But there's been a tonne of comments like this over the last 36 hours (with very, very few people bothering to use the report function), and being honest, they are far more disruptive to the thread than someone voicing an unpopular opinion. Drop comments like "Is this still going" or anything that can risk yielding stupid yellows for backseat moderation. Meanwhile, you all, every single one of you, have the ability to ignore posters and not respond in a manner which disrupts the thread.

Meanwhile, I aim the following at both sides of the Rooney discussion. Regulars will know it's not that I have the greatest opinion of him, but when you continually post the same posts over and over again, you risk falling foul of soapboxing. Unless you've got something else to contribute to the discussion, stop just posting the same post continually, but with slightly modified rhetoric.

This is aimed at multiple users, with Tugboats being the worst offender right now, but a fair few responding to him doing the exact same thing, from what I've read. There reaches the stage where you aren't actually trying to have a discussion; you're just posting the same posts over and over in a disruptive manner. Its the equivalent of shouting louder and louder at each other but having zero interest in actually hearing the other sides points.

Unless you have something new to add to the conversation, I'd advise it's dropped. Because it's been going round in circles for far, far too long and has disrupted the thread too much.

(Meanwhile, as always, this is not a post that is designed to lead to a discussion either. Do not respond to it, unless you want to PM me.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd say after the season he had and the fact he wants to leave for the club he really wanted to join last summer (I think its fair to say) 15m/25% hit is not bad.

If it was Chelsea, they'd get 80 million for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If there's one thing I hope big Mike Smalling improves this year (apart from injury record) it's his holding of players in the box at set-pieces. Got away with a few last year but it's heart in the mouth stuff at times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement