Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If there's one thing I hope big Mike Smalling improves this year (apart from injury record) it's his holding of players in the box at set-pieces. Got away with a few last year but it's heart in the mouth stuff at times.

I think it's very common tactic and it's only highlighted because he is ManUtd player.

Skrtel gets away with those fouls in every game and Chiellini is way worse.

Saying that it would be good if he can cut it down but as long as refs are consistent then I won't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If there's one thing I hope big Mike Smalling improves this year (apart from injury record) it's his holding of players in the box at set-pieces. Got away with a few last year but it's heart in the mouth stuff at times.

wait until you see Ramos or Otamendi if we sign either one of them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

anyone

Connollys show all the sports and its an irish bar too so you might get so fellow irish.. think its on west 54th or west 45th.. on or the other :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If it was Chelsea, they'd get 80 million for him...

And buy him back for 180 million. Chelsea got lucky with s few players but they had over 80 players on loan at one. Stage and i think close to 60 proffesionals now the law of averages dont make them look so good when you factor in the wages they pay to get rid of them not to mention players like torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think it's very common tactic and it's only highlighted because he is ManUtd player.

Skrtel gets away with those fouls in every game and Chiellini is way worse.

That doesn't really negate my point. They are awful for it as well, it doesn't change the fact that he is at it regularly as well. I'm not highlighting it because he's a United player. I'm highlighting it because he does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If it was Chelsea, they'd get 80 million for him...

You do know Ed is the chairman right?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

According to this guy PSG are awaiting an answer from us on their offer for ADM

@thcoast RMC saying talks between #PSG and #MUFC have NOT stopped. #PSG have made €65m (bonuses inc.) offer & are waiting for #MUFC to give an answer

https://twitter.com/thcoast/status/624151291477000192

SSN say Muller is staying put.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9921736/thomas-muller-staying-at-bayern-despite-reported-manchester-united-interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jayo26 wrote: »
    And buy him back for 180 million. Chelsea got lucky with s few players but they had over 80 players on loan at one. Stage and i think close to 60 proffesionals now the law of averages dont make them look so good when you factor in the wages they pay to get rid of them not to mention players like torres.

Oh, look...I just found my tongue in my cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Pro. F wrote: »
    No, it does not prove that.

Not sure why Ferguson ever bothered buying RVP so.

We lost a league on goal difference. Sure part of the reason for that was we had no mid field and an aging defence. But we simply weren't lethal enough either so Ferguson went out and bought RVP and the rest is history. We won the league with practically the same side with the exception of RVP leading the line and scoring us the goals that won the title.

Rooney played a big part in both those seasons but we didn't have the key advantage (RVP) in one season over the other.

He'll score us goals but not enough to make a difference.

The more logical posters on here are pointing out that there isn't an RVP available and that's the point - he's the best option we currently have but he won't score enough to win us a title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Coat22 wrote: »
    Not sure why Ferguson ever bothered buying RVP so.

We lost a league on goal difference. Sure part of the reason for that was we had no mid field and an aging defence. But we simply weren't lethal enough either so Ferguson went out and bought RVP and the rest is history. We won the league with practically the same side with the exception of RVP leading the line and scoring us the goals that won the title.

Rooney played a big part in both those seasons but we didn't have the key advantage (RVP) in one season over the other.

He'll score us goals but not enough to make a difference.

The more logical posters on here are pointing out that there isn't an RVP available and that's the point - he's the best option we currently have but he won't score enough to win us a title.

Rooney scored 27 league goals in 2011/12. RVP scored 26 league goals in 2012/13.
    We lost the league in 2011/12 through our defence conceding 6 at home to City and 4 at home to Everton. Not because Rooney didn't score enough.

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »
    think that all sitll comes from that french reporters tweet yesterday

15 million loss in 12 months?

Don't actually think that's a bad outcome. His contract is one year shorter therefore he's worth less than we paid for him. We bought him at his height of form so his value was only ever going one way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your point was utter drivel and I think you should stop repeating it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Selling Di Maria will pay for a replacement and a CB, He wasnt even first choice last year. Getting 45-50m for a sub who might come good is fine

Rooney scored 27 league goals in 2011/12. RVP scored 26 league goals in 2012/13.
    We lost the league in 2011/12 through our defence conceding 6 at home to City and 4 at home to Everton. Not because Rooney didn't score enough.

Yes - he scored 9 in the first 5 games and then disappeared until we played Wolves at home 3 months later, got 4 in 3 over Christmas and then nothing again for 7 matches.

He's not consistent enough to be our main striker if we are to win a league, End of.

magnumbud wrote: »
    think that all sitll comes from that french reporters tweet yesterday

15 million loss in 12 months?

No. It's not 15 Million loss. It's less than that.

Transfer fee are paid in installments, fee are paid in Euros for Madrid. We paid around 70 plus million euros last year and we will recoup 65 Million euros. The difference is less than 10 Million pounds. (obviously we would lose bit more as we paid few installments last year when Euro was bit higher)

Your point was utter drivel and I think you should stop repeating it.

See you next August for United's Champions League qualifier (with a bit of luck)

That doesn't really negate my point. They are awful for it as well, it doesn't change the fact that he is at it regularly as well. I'm not highlighting it because he's a United player. I'm highlighting it because he does it.

I'm not saying you are highlighting because he is ManUtd player, I'm saying Media does it. They will never mention about Skrtel.

Like I said, as long as refs are consistent with the decisions then I'm fine with it. You are losing advantage when opposition defenders do that and you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Seats with NIKE logo in Old Trafford being replaced this weekend apparently as the new addidas deal is about to kick off..

• Advertisement

Yes - he scored 9 in the first 5 games and then disappeared until we played Wolves at home 3 months later, got 4 in 3 over Christmas and then nothing again for 7 matches.

He's not consistent enough to be our main striker if we are to win a league, End of.

He scored in 17 games
    In that season Aguero scored in 16 games.

That inconsistency..

And we scored 89 goals in 11/12 and 86 goals in 12/13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Let's all agree that although some may think Rooney a great player as a goal scorer he isn't, we need the likes of aguero scoring record from Rooney and he is to inconsistent.

It's all well and good quoting seasons when we had ronaldo Saha and Tevez in the team, but even in those seasons where he scored 20+ he wasn't the main striker, he played in 2 man striker system and he played slightly off the man striker.

To anybody who has watched the friendlys so far how has Rooney played, I know he hasn't scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Tugboats wrote: »

Think slams is a bit of overreation there. He stated that now with our success we are using the money to buy players more than using our youths in the past, he's not wrong.

Also stated we don't have the like of Nevilles, Beckham, Butt, Scholes and Giggs etc coming through the youths and being big parts of our team. Not wrong there either although we were very fortunate to have those players all at the same time.

Also said at the moment we don't have the patience to try bring up more talent rather than spending money during the window. Also not wrong there, VG does appear to me looking more at getting us back to winning ways quickly which is understandable with how he won't be here for an extremely long spell. Plus with media and fan attention patience for giving young players time to adapt isn't that long.

Personally I do feel VG has given a lot of young lads chances (some injured induced) and I do think we have some promising young lads coming through, most notably Pereira and Lingard in my view, the likes of McNair, Blackett and Wilson could all prove to be great academy products too.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Think slams is a bit of overreation there. He stated that now with our success we are using the money to buy players more than using our youths in the past, he's not wrong.

Also stated we don't have the like of Nevilles, Beckham, Butt, Scholes and Giggs etc coming through the youths and being big parts of our team. Not wrong there either although we were very fortunate to have those players all at the same time.

Also said at the moment we don't have the patience to try bring up more talent rather than spending money during the window. Also not wrong there, VG does appear to me looking more at getting us back to winning ways quickly which is understandable with how he won't be here for an extremely long spell. Plus with media and fan attention patience for giving young players time to adapt isn't that long.

Personally I do feel VG has given a lot of young lads chances (some injured induced) and I do think we have some promising young lads coming through, most notably Pereira and Lingard in my view, the likes of McNair, Blackett and Wilson could all prove to be great academy products too.

Its nonsense from Wenger. He should look carefully at how his own club do business. They charge way over the top ticket prices for a club who cant compete for Titles and European cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I wonder how last year would have gone but for Lingards opening day injury. He'd impressed enough back then to be given his chance.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Seats with NIKE logo in Old Trafford being replaced this weekend apparently as the new addidas deal is about to kick off..

Great seats for us but still feel they failed to live up to their potential though. Other stadiums the seats improved and got better over the years but think ours lacked the desire a bit. Still i'll admit they did a good job for us and will go down in our history, but can't deny they could have been so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also said at the moment we don't have the patience to try bring up more talent rather than spending money during the window.

If patience means going ten years without a trophy then I'm happy for the club to be a little impatient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Boskowski wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Bayern need to prove to anyone that they're big. I think it's all media cr@p. It's silly season and all there is to report on is who has the latest transfer rumours and who falls out of a nightclub pissed.

We should not take anything too seriously that's being written these days.

Rummenigge just confirmed the whole Mueller thing is just nonsense started by some Munich media outlet and there was no offer or even an approach.

Edit: In fact I'm beginning to think that Mitch Connor may be right in saying they started this themselves as a political ploy to act 'big' in front of their fan base who had been gettin edgy over the Schweinsteiger transfer. Wouldn't put it past them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He scored in 17 games
    In that season Aguero scored in 16 games.

That inconsistency..

And we scored 89 goals in 11/12 and 86 goals in 12/13.

And the team finished on 89 points in both seasons. And all this is supposed be evidence that RVP was a good enough goal scorer and Rooney wasn't.

It is beyond daft how the criticism of Rooney continues to be changed as each point is proven false. Just watch now as the Rooney critics change their argument once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Arsene's point might carry more weight if Arsenal wasn't a feeder club.

Its nonsense from Wenger. He should look carefully at how his own club do business. They charge way over the top ticket prices for a club who cant compete for Titles and European cups

I'm not too big a fan of talking about other teams here but think you are being a bit harsh on Arsenal. Not Wengers biggest fan but they play attractive football and are consistently involved in the title race and European competitions. Yes for the league they have let themselves down in bad spells but they always are competing for the title for large parts of the seasons. Plus they have won three trophies in the past two seasons which is more than can be said for us and many others :P

Back to United, I think the thing of buying players rather than letting youth develop is something that is common not just to us but a lot of clubs due to how big money is involved now. Our starting 11s mostly don't contain players from our academy, but as stated it is the same for a lot of teams. But I hope this changes with the new batch of players impressing.

• Advertisement

And the team finished on 89 points in both seasons. And all this is supposed be evidence that RVP was a good enough goal scorer and Rooney wasn't.

It is beyond daft how the criticism of Rooney continues to be changed as each point is proven false. Just watch now as the Rooney critics change their argument once again.

I think we were told to leave the Rooney debate. Anyway by all accounts boy wonder will be playing in the position where most here are convinced he will score 25+ goals. Nobody will need to talk about his "glory" season of 11/12 as we will see it unfold this season:)

I'm not too big a fan of talking about other teams here but think you are being a bit harsh on Arsenal. Not Wengers biggest fan but they play attractive football and are consistently involved in the title race and European competitions.

They take part in these competitons they don't challenge. one 2nd place finish in the premier league and one European final in 10 years isn't challlenging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think Rooney is a pretty cool guy. Eh scores goals and doesn't afraid of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

No. It's not 15 Million loss. It's less than that.

Transfer fee are paid in installments, fee are paid in Euros for Madrid. We paid around 70 plus million euros last year and we will recoup 65 Million euros. The difference is less than 10 Million pounds. (obviously we would lose bit more as we paid few installments last year when Euro was bit higher)

Ah if it isn't the official Manchester United accountant?

Let's be honest, you haven't a clue how that deal is structured in terms of installments.

And I'm sure that Di Maria was earning a bit more than the living wage while he's been at united? Could be another 10 million given to him in wages in the last year. And then there's his loyalty bonus, could be another couple of million.

None of us actually have a clue what that deal has cost Man U but I'd say it's a fraction more than your calculations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

We all know what the problem people have with Rooney really is

Vcr7ehe.gif

Except TSC his reasons are founded

Ah if it isn't the official Manchester United accountant?

Let's be honest, you haven't a clue how that deal is structured in terms of installments.

And I'm sure that Di Maria was earning a bit more than the living wage while he's been at united? Could be another 10 million given to him in wages in the last year. And then there's his loyalty bonus, could be another couple of million.

None of us actually have a clue what that deal has cost Man U but I'd say it's a fraction more than your calculations

We are talking about transfer fee, so not sure why Wages are included in this.

All the deals are structured and only rarest deals are paid in full sum upfront. One is Ronaldo's deal and other IIRC is Torres deal. All others are paid in installments.

Just check some financial reports and you can see how much we owe other clubs in transfers.

Edit:

http://andersred.blogspot.in/2015/02/united-buying-players-on-never-never.html
    The last few sets of accounts show Manchester United are increasingly buying players on credit, from the clubs that sell them. Transfer fees are agreed but payments are staggered over time, with the vast majority due within a year or 18 months.

Whilst other clubs have frequently “funded” transfer with these deferred payments, this is a new practice for United. Less than five years ago, United only had £11m of outstanding transfer fees due to other clubs. Things really began to change in the 2013/14 season when the figure leapt from £33m to £82m. In this latest spending splurge it has risen again from £82m to £126m at the end of September 2014, before falling back to £116m by the end of 2014.

astradave wrote: »
    We all know what the problem people have with Rooney really is

Vcr7ehe.gif

Except TSC his reasons are founded

New tongue for Dave please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So - if the window ended 2 minutes ago, so the current squad was it, no ifs ands or buts, where do you think United would finish in the league?

If your opinion is that they won't win it, what do you think would be required between now and the window actually ending to put us into proper contention for the title?

Me:

3rd, pushing second.

To realistically go for the title I think we need to add a centre back and a goal scoring forward option (not specifically a striker, but a real goal threat to compliment Rooney). If ADM is sold, i'd worry about our creative and attacking threat from central midfield as Herrera is the only CM I would trust with providing that. That said though, ADM didn't pull up trees in that respect last season.

I see a lot of the press saying we're signing Romero for a three year deal, could be awful rubbish but what would people make of it?

Free transfer and a decent keeper, I imagine the aim is to have him as a back up as Valdes is off, but then isn't Lindegaard seeing out his contract? Plus Johnstone (who I hoped to be our backup to DDG).

I imagine a one year deal would be what we we're going for but all papers seem to think 3. Is this because of Lindegaard and DDG will likely be gone next year so at least Romero will still be with us.

Finally I've only seen him with Argentina, and those games I wasn't exactly focusing on the keeper with the other talent on display :P people who have paid attention on him would he be good enough to start? Or is he defintely a back up? If so where does this leave my man Johnstone :(?

So - if the window ended 2 minutes ago, so the current squad was it, no ifs ands or buts, where do you think United would finish in the league?

If your opinion is that they won't win it, what do you think would be required between now and the window actually ending to put us into proper contention for the title?

Me:

3rd, pushing second.

To realistically go for the title I think we need to add a centre back and a goal scoring forward option (not specifically a striker, but a real goal threat to compliment Rooney). If ADM is sold, i'd worry about our creative and attacking threat from central midfield as Herrera is the only CM I would trust with providing that. That said though, ADM didn't pull up trees in that respect last season.

Think you're about spot on in your analysis but as it is I can only see us challenging Arsenal/City and Liverpool for spots 2-4

Weird one this window is City. They've done nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

JamboMac wrote: »
    Let's all agree that although some may think Rooney a great player as a goal scorer he isn't, we need the likes of aguero scoring record from Rooney and he is to inconsistent.

It's all well and good quoting seasons when we had ronaldo Saha and Tevez in the team, but even in those seasons where he scored 20+ he wasn't the main striker, he played in 2 man striker system and he played slightly off the man striker.

To anybody who has watched the friendlys so far how has Rooney played, I know he hasn't scored.

You realise he's scored as many as Aguero and assisted more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

New signing/new season can't come quick enough.

This place has gone beyond a joke in the last 2 days. Such childish posting.

Lacazette being better than Rooney is easily one of the most ridiculous things ive ever seen in a United superthread, and that is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I see a lot of the press saying we're signing Romero for a three year deal, could be awful rubbish but what would people make of it?

Free transfer and a decent keeper, I imagine the aim is to have him as a back up as Valdes is off, but then isn't Lindegaard seeing out his contract? Plus Johnstone (who I hoped to be our backup to DDG).

I imagine a one year deal would be what we we're going for but all papers seem to think 3. Is this because of Lindegaard and DDG will likely be gone next year so at least Romero will still be with us.

Finally I've only seen him with Argentina, and those games I wasn't exactly focusing on the keeper with the other talent on display :P people who have paid attention on him would he be good enough to start? Or is he defintely a back up? If so where does this leave my man Johnstone :(?

Not a United fan, but I will say that Romero is a really good shot stopper, but if he plays he is going to give you heart attacks with his occasional unorthodox style and the way he deals with crosses. Fairly slight for a keeper but I don't think it's an issue.

Main thing is occasional brain farts + incredible saves. He definitely commits to attacking the ball to clear crosses, not always wisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Think you're about spot on in your analysis but as it is I can only see us challenging Arsenal/City and Liverpool for spots 2-4

Delph and Sterling ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think we could challenge, and possibly win the title, but not at a canter but a proper down to the final day season. I think we'll be back in the top 3 with ease. But we'd have to remain injury free.

Right now, I'd like (at the very least) a first team defender and a back up striker. I don't think our current crop of defenders are up to it long term, so would like to see someone who can play beside Smalling or Jones. And I want someone who can compete with/eventually take over from Rooney, but who also is ok sitting on the bench when Rooney is in form.

It was on Sky Sports that Johnstone was going to ask LVG what was in store before he decides wheter or not to rejoin Preston on loan. I'd like Johnstone head to Preston and just keep Anders for the 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

here is the manager of Manchester United.

The guy chasing him also plays for Manchester United

Just let that sink in there for the afternoon... :)

schweinsteiger-chasing-van-gaal-with-beer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think we were told to leave the Rooney debate.

No we were warned to not soap-box about it.
    Anyway by all accounts boy wonder will be playing in the position where most here are convinced he will score 25+ goals. Nobody will need to talk about his "glory" season of 11/12 as we will see it unfold this season:)

I wouldn't be so certain that he would score 25+ goals even if he was starting up front. Same as I wouldn't be so certain that Aguero would or RVP in his prime or any other top class EPL striker. But then, 25+ goals is well above the required return for a first choice striker at a team with EPL winning aspirations, so it's an irrelevant metric.

Yeah 40m+ "nothing"

• Advertisement

Delph and Sterling ?

Oh yeah :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement