Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Woodward floating around the Barca bench on Saturday while VG flies over paper planes with wage offers scribbled on them?

:pac:

LVG would be more ikely to fly over paper planes with size comparisons between his and other random managers' balls drawn on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Quandary wrote: »
    I understand why people might think that when you take the game and opponent into account but for me, purely judging the goal on its own I think it's hard to beat Cantona's goal against Sunderland.

great goal but wouldn't even be in my top 10 goals in prem league history. his goal against sheff utd was probably a better finish given the circumstances. Hurricane wind blowing that night and he scored the goal directly into the wind, plus he was getting dogs abuse all night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshDRdgzfC8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

bangkok wrote: »
    been lots of brilliant goals over the years but for me its no1.

Live on Sky sports, Super Sunday, Manchester Derby, game tied at 1-1 and to produce that in a game of that magnitude wins it for me. It was an unbelievable goal.

The game was on a Saturday.

Why do you post such lies? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

great goal but wouldn't even be in my top 10 goals in prem league history. his goal against sheff utd was probably a better finish given the circumstances. Hurricane wind blowing that night and he scored the goal directly into the wind, plus he was getting dogs abuse all night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshDRdgzfC8

Another quality chip from Cantona alright but I still prefer his goal v Sunderland. To chip a ball into the top corner like that was incredible :)

paulbok wrote: »
    The game was on a Saturday.

Why do you post such lies? ;)

I meant I had a super sunday after that game... was a great day on the beer :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Surely if he got injured and is out for a lengthy time the bet would be void :P

I'd like to bet on it but if you cant agree with the minimum amount of games he has to play to count towards the bet then i'm out, football is a game where he could be injured in the first month and out for some time. Saying that he has never played less than 27 but a bet without rules and conditions is not a smart bet ;)

EDIT: Also said nothing about his position, just 27 games minimum. But fair enough. Just thought be fun

Deal. I'll take that bet. He needs to score 20 Pl goals or more and the bet is invalid if he doesnt take part in at least 27 games. Next Summer you can buy me a new shirt with Lewandowski 10 on the back as we send Wayne packing:cool:

Can't post links from work, but my fav from EC was the FA cup goal against Wimbledon, defender headed a ball clear, Cantona takes one touch to tee it up and bang, to the far top corner.

Irwin got a cracker in that game as well.

Quandary wrote: »
    Another quality chip from Cantona alright but I still prefer his goal v Sunderland. To chip a ball into the top corner like that was incredible :)

I put it this way, if you or I tried the Cantona chip we would do it 2 or 3 times in every 10 attempts. I wouldn't do what rooney did in 100 attempts, don't know about you :P

Can't post links from work, but my fav from EC was the FA cup goal against Wimbledon, defender headed a ball clear, Cantona takes one touch to tee it up and bang, to the far top corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ibwould of said the goal in the cup final against pool that was such a beauty the way he skipped back in mid air.

• Advertisement

tugs did you rate Cantona as a player seeing as he never scored 20 pl goals in a season? his best season was 18 goals 2nd best was 14

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ibwould of said the goal in the cup final against pool that was such a beauty the way he skipped back in mid air.

In fairness, if Cantona swung a punch at the referee in that game, missed,
    and hit himself in the face knocking himself out and collapsed in the square,
    and the ball was kicked in and ricocheted off 6 players before going in off his unconscious backside,
    It would still be a great goal against that shower in a cup final.:D:D:D

tugs did you rate Cantona as a player seeing as he never scored 20 pl goals in a season? his best season was 18 goals 2nd best was 14

run.jpg

Theres more to players than goals. Cantona helped revolutionize the club and inspire those around him. Rooney offers none of these things. He never did and he never will. Remember the season when Eric scored the winners in those 1-0 victories?. Amazing guy and a club legend. Rooney will never be rememberd like that. When hes gone the fans wont sing his name every week they hardly do it now. Rooney can ride off into the sunset with his goals record for England and Utd but he will never be remembered like Bobby Charlton ,Eric Cantona and other club legends

Let it go mate haha

think I told ye this before, met Cantona on a beach in Majorca one day. Big lad. shook hands with me and gave me his autograph. Legend

think I told ye this before, met Cantona on a beach in Majorca one day. Big lad. shook hands with me and gave me his autograph. Legend

When ze fish follow the trawlor....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I put it this way, if you or I tried the Cantona chip we would do it 2 or 3 times in every 10 attempts. I wouldn't do what rooney did in 100 attempts, don't know about you :P

Rooneys goal was pure instinct. The kind of goal that not even he might be able to reproduce in the same circumstances. Nearly all his best goals were explosive strikes almost out of nothing. It's why I think he will do well up front this season for us.

Cantona often seemed to be playing 2 moves ahead and he just had so much finesse. I might be slightly biased toward him but he was like a God to young Utd fans when I was a really young kid.

As for me replicating either of those goals, well let's just say I would need a lot more than 100 goes for each goal and my body would give up long before I hit the 100th go anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A player could score 30+ goals but thise 30 + goals could be less valuable than a player who scored 18.
    Lets the say the 30+ goal scorer scored most of those goals while already leading. lets say 20 out of the 30 goals, do 10 by 3 = 30 points those other 10 goals were worth.
    Lets say out of the 18 goals by the other striker and they were scored ala Eric Cantona when a game was at stalemate, lets say 12 of those goals out of 18 were when the team were still level, that is 12 by 3 = 36.
    The person with the 30 goals in fact would have contributed less to the team than the player who is able to score those vital goals in tight games.
    Thomas Muller is such a player, not that we will be signing him, Cantona was.

Benteke was for Villa last season, as was Kane for Spurs, or Costa for Chelsea. Costa got 20 league goals last season fo example.
    I think some need to pull their heads in and see a great scoring record does not mean someone who scores less is somehow less valuable to a team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He was a class player, but he is/was also quite overrated by a good few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Slightly off topic (is that any harm!) but what ever happened with the person who lost a bet a few weeks ago and the forfeit was something like they had to strip in the window of Browne Thomas? I'm guessing that poster was just full of it and didnt actually have the balls (pun intended) to honour the bet!?

Well for one that's illegal. I'd value my lack of criminal record over internet kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love that ad where he pretends he is a farmer to attract the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wat?

You posted the goals per game stat yourself like you thought it was meaningful.

Look, here it is:

There, you posted it like it meant something, now it doesn't mean anything after all.

This is daft. At best.
    It does mean something just doesn't prove your point and I don't it fully proves mine either, but at least I as a nay sayer am willing to listen to a good argument against me.

I'm leaving my view on Rooney there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I thought when Nani left it would be the end of rows like this. I was wrong, very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

jayo26 wrote: »
    When ze fish follow the trawlor....

god get it right :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Julez wrote: »
    I thought when Nani left it would be the end of rows like this. I was wrong, very wrong.

The starting 11 could be 10 Messi clones and Ronaldo and Nani / Rooney would just be replaced with Ronaldo.

magnumbud wrote: »
    god get it right :P

Well it was 20 odd year ago sorry. But i still love it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    A player could score 30+ goals but thise 30 + goals could be less valuable than a player who scored 18.
    Lets the say the 30+ goal scorer scored most of those goals while already leading. lets say 20 out of the 30 goals, do 10 by 3 = 30 points those other 10 goals were worth.
    Lets say out of the 18 goals by the other striker and they were scored ala Eric Cantona when a game was at stalemate, lets say 12 of those goals out of 18 were when the team were still level, that is 12 by 3 = 36.
    The person with the 30 goals in fact would have contributed less to the team than the player who is able to score those vital goals in tight games.
    Thomas Muller is such a player, not that we will be signing him, Cantona was.

Benteke was for Villa last season, as was Kane for Spurs, or Costa for Chelsea. Costa got 20 league goals last season fo example.
    I think some need to pull their heads in and see a great scoring record does not mean someone who scores less is somehow less valuable to a team.

Where does Rooney fit into this as he never scored 30 or rarely even 18+:( He hasn't won us FA cups like Eric(v liverpool and Chelsea) Would you have confidence in Rooney slotting home 2 penalties against Chelsea in a Fa Cup final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Billy86 wrote: »

If you were picking our two best players up front during Sir Alex's term who would they be??
    To me RVN and Cantona were easily the best two
    Rooney is not as good as either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Tugboats wrote: »
    Where does Rooney fit into this as he never scored 30 or rarely even 18+:( He hasn't won us FA cups like Eric(v liverpool and Chelsea) Would you have confidence in Rooney slotting home 2 penalties against Chelsea in a Fa Cup final?

id have lots of confidance in him scoring two penalties always thought hes one of the better penalty takers in the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Robson99 wrote: »
    If you were picking our two best players up front during Sir Alex's term who would they be??

You've just signed your death warrant, the Rooney hit squad will be after claiming he was only ever played up front twice in his career with anecdotal evidence at best.

Sure Johnny Evans would get more goals as a striker then a cb, doesn't make it his best position for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Deal. I'll take that bet. He needs to score 20 Pl goals or more and the bet is invalid if he doesnt take part in at least 27 games. Next Summer you can buy me a new shirt with Lewandowski 10 on the back as we send Wayne packing:cool:

Yup you're on! :P

I'll take a size medium by the way ;)

sky88 wrote: »
    id have lots of confidance in him scoring two penalties always thought hes one of the better penalty takers in the league

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/wayne-rooney-one-premier-leagues-5390108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Bangkok why do you want to watch the world to burn? It was starting to become calm then you send the flare to get the statistical eejits out in force :(

Why do you lie old tugs boy

09_10 season rooney scored 33 goals for us in league and cups.
    11_12 season rooney scored 34 goald for us in league and cups. Guess what these were the seasons he Lead uniteds attack too. I cant believe how much of an liar you are :):):)

You are talking a load of crap All day l mate you cant just make up stuff off top of your ur head to try win an argument. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Robson99 wrote: »
    Number one is Ronaldo, and by a distance. Then Ruud.

After that it is hard to tell - Cantona, Rooney, Hughes, Yorke (from 98-00) and possibly Cole are all pretty close, though I would probably take it in that order from first to last. RVP was amazing for most of his first season, but tailed off quite badly near the end and for the two years after. Cole was very good but probably a little below the guys above. Saha could have been up there if he ever stayed fit. Solskjaer was great off the bench but never got a long enough stretch starting. McClair also had some great seasons up front earlier in Fergie's tenure.

Everyone talking about class goals, what about John O'Shea againt Copenhagen where he definitely meant it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

JamboMac wrote: »
    You've just signed your death warrant, the Rooney hit squad will be after claiming he was only ever played up front twice in his career with anecdotal evidence at best.

Sure Johnny Evans would get more goals as a striker then a cb, doesn't make it his best position for the team.

When you can't support your own argument just make jokes about the counter-arguments you disagree with. The old reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

surely basti will take our penos, German efficiency and all. i always fear rooney steping up to take them. the english have always had problems with penos :P rvp was the man for the most part with them.

nobody as good as irwin was at taking them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pro. F wrote: »
    When you can't support your own argument just make jokes about the counter-arguments you disagree with. The old reliable.

That's pretty much my entire posting style :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

A thing of Beauty

ERe52e.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Billy86 wrote: »

He was no Maradona but he is the most important Utd player since the Busby days. It's arguable that none of what has happened the club since 1992 would have been possible without him. There have been very few other players in football with such a lasting legacy.

astradave wrote: »
    A thing of Beauty

I bet Eric couldn't do this though:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I bet Eric couldn't do this though:cool:

Whats the point with this.. why would you use my post to fuel your agenda against Rooney..

Whats the point with this.. why would you use my post to fuel your agenda against Rooney..

Hed not got a dig in recently so had to get it in quick.

And he ignores posts that proves his arguments and facts wrong :)

people are debating Cantona and Rooney. Its a shame in the last hour that people are mentioning his name alongside those of Charlton and Eric. Its disrespectful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

• Advertisement

I've said it before and I'll say it again, really looking forward to seeing how Pereira and Lingard do this season. Hope they become squad rotation players and eventually starting 11 down the line. (When they've worked their ways in)

Both played very well for their u21 nations this summer despite both teams not achieving much.

Don't know how many followed either during the u21 euros and south americans, but both looked very good. I know different level and all that. Here's a video of Pereira and Brazil highlights, can't find much on Lingard. Not a great video but still shows the control and skill he has. Excited to see how he does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement