Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

What's most annoying about it is that this saga reeks of Di Maria just bottled out of playing for Utd and the most 'competitive' league in the world was a little too competitive in his eyes. Ligue 1 might suit his shins better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Yep he ticked the box saying he had been arrested before by mistake, so didn't get his Visa, would have been too much trouble to try sort it out in time so he just stayed behind :pac: typical Paddy tbh

I think he didnt want to leave edna from glasgow and jock from wigan behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What a shít. De Gea wants out but at least he shows up.

Falcao just came on for chelsea to a loud roar lets just hope its de_ja_vu. I like him but noway do i want to see him doing well for chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This is a club that paid £50m for David Luiz. If we sell him for £45m as reports suggest then that's crazy. We should at least be recouping the entire fee we paid and not a penny less. There is not way we should be taking a £15m loss considering the club we are dealing with.

I presume LVG knows exactly why Di Maria wasn't on the plane, and it's not a case that he just didn't turn up to try force a move. I guess LVG knows they have, or will soon, reach an agreement and doesn't want to confirm anything before it's done.

I know he's not as good, but I'd take Pedro for £22m and bank £38m towards a new CB and a new ST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Do the staff in the Superstore know something?

2AD31D9200000578-3174600-image-a-12_1437854901990.jpg

v3ttel wrote: »
    This is a club that paid £50m for David Luiz. If we sell him for £45m as reports suggest then that's crazy. We should at least be recouping the entire fee we paid and not a penny less. There is not way we should be taking a £15m loss considering the club we are dealing with.

I presume LVG knows exactly why Di Maria wasn't on the plane, and it's not a case that he just didn't turn up to try force a move. I guess LVG knows they have, or will soon, reach an agreement and doesn't want to confirm anything before it's done.

I know he's not as good, but I'd take Pedro for £22m and bank £38m towards a new CB and a new ST.

Id take pedro and otamendi for the money we get for di maria all day long. If his heart aint with united he will never be the team of the year player he was at madrid and unfortunately we are gonna take a loss on that but it would be a bigger loss if we keep him for another year and he still wants to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Maybe Utd actually want Di Maria gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Did Di Maria even want to come to United in the first place, if i remember correctly PSG was his first choice destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Did Di Maria even want to come to United in the first place, if i remember correctly PSG was his first choice destination.

Never even wanted to leave Madrid, not surprising really but a shame all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Secret Agent Mata will sort us out

98hsvo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/adnanjanuzaj/status/625095004311187456

Januzaj looks like he's bulked up a good bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Losing Di Maria is a big blow . We need a top class signing now asap to replace Him with first 11 quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Losing Di Maria is a big blow . We need a top class signing now asap to replace Him with first 11 quality.

Why is he a big blow ? He never set the world alight all things considered. The team were poor for most of the season anyway, he rarely performed to his capabilities and obviously didn't seem to settle in Manchester. His talent is exceptional but United didn't utilize it so him leaving isn't a loss which is strange considering how good he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I would agree. Someone who has pace and can score goals. Maybe Reus??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

d22ontour wrote: »
    Why is he a big blow ? He never set the world alight all things considered. The team were poor for most of the season anyway, he rarely performed to his capabilities and obviously didn't seem to settle in Manchester. His talent is exceptional but United didn't utilize it so him leaving isn't a loss which is strange considering how good he is.

As much as I like him as a player I have to agree. Pedro would suit us far better given LVG's style of football.

Couple of other points, dont want Januzaj to go on loan. That type of talent needs to be developed in house. Also think LVG likes Lingard. He fits/suits the formation v well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

We played our best football without him in the team, so I don't think he'll be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Always been a big fan of Di Maria as a footballer... It was common knowledge that his first preference was PSG last season however.. He ended up with us.. Good start to last season.. First half that is.. Second half he lost form... Towards the end he played like he didn't want to be there.. And didnt give a ****.... As I said previously ADM off and Pedro in would be sweet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well thankfully nobody can spin this as United messing up anyways.

He doesn't want to be at United, and probably didn't. If that's the case then toodle pip - we need players that want to play for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Losing Rooney is a big blow. Losing De Gea is a big blow. Losing Carrick is a big blow. We played half a season without him and we barely noticed - in fact our play improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

AMD had about what? 3 good games for us. He was muck all season. He preformed worse than Falcao.

He's no loss at all based on the form he showed for us. Based on peoples opinions of what he might do, then yes he could have been special but reality wrote a different story. We saw the real ADM. He could not handle the EPL.

In some games he came on and was totally shocking, he would misplace simples passes, fire crosses out for goal kicks, and generally looked disinterested and a poor player. He made Young and Valencia look good.

If we get good money for him I won't miss him one bit. Marquee name, anonymous player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

surely he'll be fined if the club wasn't aware of his whereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

We saw the real ADM.

I agree he was ****e but talk about outrageous statements. Nearly a decade of unbelievable seasons for Benfica and Madrid and suddenly after one(half) a season in England he suddenly decides to show his real self and be crap?

Di Maria actually could've done pretty well in the EPL but would've been better off somewhere like Arsenal IMO. But sure too late for him now, he'll be glad to leave but if I was him I'd feel I let myself down big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

I agree he was ****e but talk about outrageous statements. Nearly a decade of unbelievable seasons for Benfica and Madrid and suddenly after one(half) a season in England he suddenly decides to show his real self and be crap?

Di Maria actually could've done pretty well in the EPL but would've been better off somewhere like Arsenal IMO. But sure too late for him now, he'll be glad to leave but if I was him I'd feel I let myself down big time.

20 starts - 10 assists and 3 goals plus 7 sub apps. That's in a bad season. Would have liked to see what he could have done in a good season for united.
    but looks like he has heart set on a move so au revoir di Maria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If di maria has headed off to do a medical or simply is refusing to go on the tour under psgs advice they should up his price further and show they won't be bullied into selling a player especially one with 4 years left on his deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

He probably had more bad seasons at Madrid than good tbh

The big difference from what I saw between Di Maria and Falcao was that Di Maria didn't seem to try his best with the chances he got, didn't fancy the challenge. This was made worse by the goals and assists he got. Imagine if he relished playing for Utd and appreciated the opportunity.

Falcao on the other hand gave everything he had when he started or came on as a substitute. He just came up short unfortunately be it from past injuries or team formation/philosophy or whatever but you could see he wanted to be successful at Utd and the premier league. I'll always appreciate that when you see a player trying his best.

I wish Falcao all the best in the future (just not at chelsea:pac:). Di Maria on the other hand?, I think I'll just sneer at the tv if i see him in a PSG jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The point is we had a world class player in the squad last season and we don't anymore. He potentially offered something that very few in the squad offer, pace, the ability to take on players and play a huge part in creating and scoring goals.

It's essential he is replaced with a top class signing, no matter what people thought of his form last season. The squad is looking very light and with De Gea most likely still going there is still huge work to be done in the transfer market and I'd be doubtful it will be all addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So instead of proving himself in a competitive league at a club with a reputation to recapture Di Maria took the easy option and went to an uncompetitive league to play for the most dominant club who are in that position because they have the richest owner. Difficulties adapting to the premier league aside, this will hang over Di Maria as he has shown weakness of character and taken the easiest option possible, good riddance, we don't need psychological weaklings at United.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

twinex wrote:
    Falcao on the other hand gave everything he had when he started or came on as a substitute. He just came up short unfortunately be it from past injuries or team formation/philosophy or whatever but you could see he wanted to be successful at Utd and the premier league. I'll always appreciate that when you see a player trying his best. The big difference from what I saw between Di Maria and Falcao was that Di Maria didn't seem to try his best with the chances he got, didn't fancy the challenge. This was made worse by the goals and assists he got. Imagine if he relished playing for Utd and appreciated the opportunity.

I agree with ya buddy, far too many games in the second half of the season DiMaria didn't give a sh1te, he was looking to get off the pitch asap. I have memories of him limping outta a number of games, maybe not as many as I think !! Falcao's attitude was totally different. Unfortunately I'll remember DiMaria for not giving it a right crack at OT if indeed he leaves as it seems is gonna happen. Hopefully United get at least £50 million for him or include someone decent in the deal, Marquihos ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was finding it hard to see where Di Maria fitted into the team.
    We had signed Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin for midfield, then we signed Depay and have been looking to sign a player for the right side of a front three.
    Reports in France today in L'Equipe say Woodward has been in talks for the past week for the transfer of Di Maria to PSG, where he will get a 5 year contract.
    He just didn't fit into our team, in the end. That is why he got so little game time for the second half of the season. Not to mention the rumours that LVG and ADM didn't have a good relationship.

Mutv should produce a new program called "I'm a South American, Get me out of here!". Could get a couple of seasons out of it :D

RobertKK wrote: »
    ...... Not to mention the rumours that LVG and ADM didn't have a good relationship.

I think that's key, ADM might not fancy playing or learning how LVG wants him to play, the likes of Young however seemed to thrive in the regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

twinex wrote: »
    Mutv should produce a new program called "I'm a South American, Get me out of here!". Could get a couple of seasons out of it :D

Or Don't Cry For Me Argentina

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    It's essential he is replaced with a top class signing, no matter what people thought of his form last season. The squad is looking very light and with De Gea most likely still going there is still huge work to be done in the transfer market and I'd be doubtful it will be all addressed.

I would be utterly shocked if there wasn't an absolute massive name in the offing, both as a replacement for Woodward's marquee signing from last year and to launch the Adidas kit next week. Would not be shocked to see Ronaldo or Bale rumours go into overdrive now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

nullzero wrote: »
    So instead of proving himself in a competitive league at a club with a reputation to recapture Di Maria took the easy option and went to an uncompetitive league to play for the most dominant club who are in that position because they have the richest owner. Difficulties adapting to the premier league aside, this will hang over Di Maria as he has shown weakness of character and taken the easiest option possible, good riddance, we don't need psychological weaklings at United.

He's left Manchester to live and work in Paris for a king's ransom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I would be utterly shocked if there wasn't an absolute massive name in the offing, both as a replacement for Woodward's marquee signing from last year and to launch the Adidas kit next week. Would not be shocked to see Ronaldo or Bale rumours go into overdrive now....

Yeah hopefully so. I don't think Bale is a runner but Ronaldo seems a real possibility. It's a now or never with him I reckon, and as stated previously, the stars are aligning perfectly (or as near as you could get) for his return this summer.

I do have a fear in the back of my mind though that he won't be replaced.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Yeah, the odds for both players have dropped a lot over the last week, as punter expectations of a big name signing rise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There have been too many murmurings in the last number of months regarding Di Maria leaving to think we do not have a plan.

Honestly, Di Maria scored 4 goals and 11 assists and a lot of that was in the first half of the season. He was woeful for the second half and looked disinterested. I even said last year that one of his performances was as bad as Bebe when he was being laughed at. He showed little ability to choose the right decision and he had completely stopped tracking back, a quality I admired earlier in the year.

Was he a panic buy? I think so. We had a horrendous start last season and he was available. We overpaid but he looked like he would be worth it. However, when fit, Young took his place and deservedly so.

The thing that strikes me about Di Maria is that he loses the ball quite often, something that is completely out of place in a United side that looks to keep position and look for opportunities.

We should take the 45m and reinvest it. I'm sure he'll be brilliant for PSG but honestly I'm not bothered he's leaving. We have the money to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oh lads, just heard we're getting 60 million euros for Di Maria, please say it's true?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh lads, just heard we're getting 60 million euros for Di Maria, please say it's true?

Yeah, seems the price being banded around.

What was interesting last night was Wilson played out wide and Januzaj as the striker. Adnan in my opinion will be the better striker, and could be the biggest revelation this season.
    Van Gaal was clearly most impressed with him after the match. I don't think it was the goal that impressed most, just his instinct that made the goal happen. As stated earlier in this thread by Whatsisname, he is looking much stronger for this campaign.

I am happy with the clear out Van Gaal has performed at United so far. He showed the team how devastating he can be with the clear out of near all the team that lost to MK Dons.
    Then with Di Maria, 'so you are a big money signing, I don't care, I think Young is better in the team, and you can leave if you want'. No pussy footing around, and that is why I think we will do well this season.
    LVG has taken over the team, saw a garden that was very fruitful but that had become overgrown, too many weeds among the plants he wanted, bought a plant he thought would be good, but found it didn't match so replacing it with something more suited to what is needed.

I expect Lingard to get a lot more minutes in the current campaign, he has always been a goal threat.

Wilson, for me the jury is still out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Have we heard any confirmation yet to why he missed the flight?

I'd be sad that he didn't fancy another year to try prove himself, I know there's been off the field and on the field problems but to me for someone to run off after one season and not want to stay and prove his critics in this league wrong is a bit of a defeated and poor attitude.

He's got buckets of talent and I know we don't now the entire story but I'd question a players' character who jumps ship so easily at the slightest amount of adversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

As much as I admire Di Maria his game did not look suited at all to the PL. He's a counter-attacking player and going up against a wall of 11 players isn't his style, and I'm not sure he has the capability to adapt.

Still, if he leaves I'll be wondering what if. He had a great start until he got a bad injury and wasn't the same since he came back. If he were to stay and be firing I'm sure he could be excellent for us. I'm on the fence with this potential transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I read on a Chrristian transfer news site I frequent, that ADM stayed behind when he realised Rojo couldnt get on the plane to be a good friend. Then they went to mass and prayed that the situation would be resolved and for a United win over Barca.

I mean its hard to know what to believe but to me that speaks volumes.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Have we heard any confirmation yet to why he missed the flight?

I'd be sad that he didn't fancy another year to try prove himself, I know there's been off the field and on the field problems but to me for someone to run off after one season and not want to stay and prove his critics in this league wrong is a bit of a defeated and poor attitude.

He's got buckets of talent and I know we don't now the entire story but I'd question a players' character who jumps ship so easily at the slightest amount of adversary.

I think LVG didn't want to say much as his transfer is underway. He knows why he didn't fly out, but not going to say he is off to PSG.
    It was reported Di Maria's wife never settled in Manchester and that armed burglarly was very devastating to that transfer ever working it seems.
    Everything went downhill from there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Losing Rooney is a big blow. Losing De Gea is a big blow. Losing Carrick is a big blow. We played half a season without him and we barely noticed - in fact our play improved.

why you looking back and focusing on what he didnt give us as oppossed to looking at the fact that he is a world class player who needs some time to settle and on his day, he can be a true world class match winner for us?

David Silva took a year to settle in, did City get rid? Fellaini was given a second chance, look at Mata and how much better he was last season, than his first. Evra and Vidic took time to settle in theres dozens more examples of foreign players who got better as their tenure went on.

jaysis id love to have seen those who are happy to see him go and their reaction around 2006 when Ronaldo was struggling, i bet ye would have wanted him out too?

fair enough if he wants to go, let him go but lets not kid ourselves into brushing it under the carpet and saying its not bad for the club that he is leaving us - we not exactly flooding our first 11 with world class recognised players and here is one of the only ones leaving. its a blow to our season plans, no matter what spin anybody puts on it.

what we need to do now is go out and spend the money wisely on 2 top class attacking players who can put the fear into opposition and show that we can move on from Di Maria and Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Let's face it Di Maria was woeful last season. It even got to the stage where I was happy to see Young starting ahead of him. Young out performed him for most of the season aswell. 80 million euros.. Complete flop tbh. Just doesn't have the attributes needed to succeed in the premier league. I'm sure he'll have improved this season but if we get 60 million for him, get a top class centre half and striker we will be laughing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I have no interest in seeing a massive name like Falcao or Di Maria prioritised just because they have an image that is good for a brand.

We need to see balanced squad and a team that suits the way the manager wants to play. As it stands i think United have moved in that direction already this summer. If we end up with a Ronaldo then fantastic, an established player but not as Hollywood in name like Pedro then excellent but i would be just as happy with another Memphis and Schneiderlin if they bring something the team needs (like the lads have).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement