Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

GSPfan wrote: »
    Odd design on the neck of that jersey.

The Chevrolet logo alone doesn't bother me but the clash of gold on the logo with the yellow on the crest annoys me.

I'd welcome a redesign of the crest. Ed talked about it years ago and nothing has happened yet.

He just mentioned bringing back "Football Club" on the crest, IIRC. Probably just an attempt to keep the fans on his side at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.fichajes.net/noticias/destino-sera-premier-league-20150725.html

TLDR: Muller has fallen out with Pep,£56 million will see a deal done.

Fichajes, I remember them being one of the leading bullshít merchants during the Vidal saga last season. Even if it were true, Bayern aren't going to sell us another player.

Also, wonder who'll get the number 7 shirt this season? Depay? Owen, Valencia, Di Maria. That shirt has gone through a rough patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »

Also, wonder who'll get the number 7 shirt this season? Depay? Owen, Valencia, Di Maria. That shirt has gone through a rough patch.

Ronnie to come back:p

I see the bookies have cut the odds on Cavani and Llorente joining us,I'd prefer Benzema.
    Rooney needs some serious competition,he was poor again last night and his touch is abysmal for somebody of his talent.I'd rather not depend on him for the coming campaign with a young Wilson and Chicharito who can't play that one man holding role.

This ADM saga as it's being reported, along with the way Sterling's departure from Liverpool went, is making DDG more of a legend in my eyes than he already was.

Somehow it's no secret that DDG wants to go home to Madrid but how do we actually know from looking at the man himself? He hasn't been using the press to agitate a move, he hasn't been feigning injury or sickness, he hasn't been a 'shell of a man whose mind is elsewhere' while playing for United, he even got on the plane to the USA with the rest of the team though he knew/hoped in his mind that he would be in Madrid before the EPL season kicked off.

With DDG, I imagine his train of thought to be somewhere along the lines of "Look yis cúnts, I do want to go home, play for Real Madrid, be an icon in my homeland and wake up beside my girlfriend every day. But, if you're gonna hold me to the contract, fine, I'll see you at training on Monday morning with a smile on my face."

With ADM, I imagine him relaying to his agent something like - "Contract? I don't give 2 fúcks, I'm done in Manchester, just make it happen."

It was clear as day that ADM ended up at his less preferred destination last August in Manchester, but most of us thought that he would just put the head down and get on with it considering the prestigious club he landed at and the salary that went with it, and the project which is currently underway. For whatever reasons, it hasn't worked out and if the player is that desperate to get away, then away he has to go no matter who he is or what potential he has. Rather than replace him though, United need to sign a player to do the job ADM was initially brought in to do but never quite got there with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

stankratz wrote: »
    This ADM saga as it's being reported, along with the way Sterling's departure from Liverpool went, is making DDG more of a legend in my eyes than he already was.

Somehow it's no secret that DDG wants to go home to Madrid but how do we actually know from looking at the man himself? He hasn't been using the press to agitate a move, he hasn't been feigning injury or sickness, he hasn't been a 'shell of a man whose mind is elsewhere' while playing for United, he even got on the plane to the USA with the rest of the team though he knew/hoped in his mind that he would be in Madrid before the EPL season kicked off.

With DDG, I imagine his train of thought to be somewhere along the lines of "Look yis cúnts, I do want to go home, play for Real Madrid, be an icon in my homeland and wake up beside my girlfriend every day. But, if you're gonna hold me to the contract, fine, I'll see you at training on Monday morning with a smile on my face."

With ADM, I imagine him relaying to his agent something like - "Contract? I don't give 2 fúcks, I'm done in Manchester, just make it happen."

It was clear as day that ADM ended up at his less preferred destination last August in Manchester, but most of us thought that he would just put the head down and get on with it considering the prestigious club he landed at and the salary that went with it, and the project which is currently underway. For whatever reasons, it hasn't worked out and if the player is that desperate to get away, then away he has to go no matter who he is or what potential he has. Rather than replace him though, United need to sign a player to do the job ADM was initially brought in to do but never quite got there with.

Yep, I'd like to be angry at De Gea but he's making it very difficult.

Oh well, Di Maria gets a double helping of hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Di Maria hasn't said anything too controversial either though. His last interview was that the last season didn't go well, he wants to play in the team and he hopes to do better next season. Since then there's been silence from both the club and player. Its a different situation from De Gea. Unlike De Gea, the club haven't made it clear the want to keep Di Maria despite weeks of rumours. Hard to blame Di Maria for feeling its time for him to go when the club don't want him.

Not joining up with the squad is a real issue, but Rojo missed the flight too and there is as yet no explanation. Its not clear its a discipline issue, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'd say it would be very different if DDG had another 4 years like ADM has. As it is he can simply see out the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fichajes, I remember them being one of the leading bullshít merchants during the Vidal saga last season. Even if it were true, Bayern aren't going to sell us another player.

Even if he did have a falling out with Pep, Bayern won't sell- - and with Pep very likely to City next summer Muller could probably just stick it out a year and remain a bayern star for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

di maria never wanted to join man utd in the first place, no great surprise he is leaving. we were always going to be a short stop off until he got his move to PSG. would have signed with them last year but couldnt due to FFP

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

GSPfan wrote: »
    Odd design on the neck of that jersey.

The Chevrolet logo alone doesn't bother me but the clash of gold on the logo with the yellow on the crest annoys me.

I'd welcome a redesign of the crest. Ed talked about it years ago and nothing has happened yet.

To hell with that! Chevrolet would have to blink first in that contest:mad:

I was disgusted when they removed the 'football club' from the crest:(

Reading the later posts, I now know that the redesign was to reintroduce the 'football club' back......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Reading the later posts, I now know that the redesign was to reintroduce the 'football club' back......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Christ, the standard for being a legend isn't much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bangkok wrote: »
    di maria never wanted to join man utd in the first place.

so why f*cking sign him then? Surely if LVG knew he wasn't keen on us, we should have went nowhere near us.

I reckon Mendes fooled us into signing him as he knew we'd the money but were also desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Ron Atkinson saying he'd love to see us sign Ibra on MUTV now

#IbraON

Chooooooo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

so why f*cking sign him then? Surely if LVG knew he wasn't keen on us, we should have went nowhere near us.

I reckon Mendes fooled us into signing him as he knew we'd the money but were also desperate.

I don't think it was a researched, must buy scenario, like Falcao it was about an opportunity that they had. Schweinsteiger and Memphis would be hand picked by Van Gaal while a few of last summers signings were probably approved by him rather than specifically requested.

With De Gea soon to go, Di Maria going and Falcao moved onto Jose all does not appear well between United and Mendes.

Christ, the standard for being a legend isn't much these days.

Are you for real? You are reading and posting in the Man United Superthread where grown men talk about jizzing their pants at the prospect of signing a particular player and language can veer into hyperbole to underline a point. I clearly meant Dave is coming across in a brighter light by being a consummate professional, not that I have a statue of him in the garden beside my Brian Boru one. You know this, not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

How many matches are left in pre-season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

KH25 wrote: »

1 against Psg.

KH25 wrote: »

PSG midweek,the traditional one at OT next weekend was cancelled on the orders of LVG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

beno619 wrote: »
    We definitely shouldn't be happy about losing world class talent, which he unquestionably is.

Unquestionably is? Hmmmm.

Sand wrote: »
    Not joining up with the squad is a real issue, but Rojo missed the flight too and there is as yet no explanation. Its not clear its a discipline issue, yet.

Rojo had passport/visa issues.Di Maria didn't show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Trilla wrote: »

There's absolutely no doubt in any right-thinking football fan's mind that Dí María has the talent to be one of the best.

Sadly, it is looking like he doesn't have the correct attitude to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Even if he did have a falling out with Pep, Bayern won't sell- - and with Pep very likely to City next summer Muller could probably just stick it out a year and remain a bayern star for life.

We could do Bayern a favour and take Muller on loan for a year

baz2009 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no doubt in any right-thinking football fan's mind that Dí María has the talent to be one of the best.

Sadly, it is looking like he doesn't have the correct attitude to go with it.

In any right thinking football fans mind? Wow...

To be the best? He's 27 or 28.

He's been very inconsistent everywhere hes been. One of those guys whose somewhat lived off the name and form of his team mates. He was never worth 60m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

because he is world class... opportunity came when PSG couldnt sign him, madrid didnt want him, we were the only club that could afford him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

di maria was never worth 60 million. 35-40 would be his mark. if we can get +45 for him we are doing well. the problem with di maria is that he didnt adapt to van gaals system. even fellani was doing what van gaal wanted. but di maria like that article said would try things that wouldnt come off and we would lose possession and that is what van gaal didnt like. knowing when to pass is as important as the pass itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Even when he was playing well ADM didn't look like he cared so I am not bothered if he leaves...especially if the money is reinvested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Few rumours on the twittersphere that we have agreed a deal with Barca for Pedro @ 32m Euro or 23m pounds.. Think its coming from Palmeri so might take it with a pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While it's disappointing that it hasn't worked out for ADM we were right to sign him in the first place, an undoubtedly hugely talented individual that if it had have worked out the board and management would be lauded for the signing him and the fee paid would be deemed a bargain.

It hasn't worked out, so what?

If we can recoup as much as is possible and sign someone that is fully committed to the cause then great!

It's always a risk signing big name players, when you aren't shopping in the discount aisle when a signing doesn't work out there will always be those ready to crawl out of the wood work to try and have a pop. The club are in as good a financial position as most clubs in the world and if the opportunity arises to sign an obvious world class player then we should absolutely take it rather than taking a chance on lesser known players and hoping we hit the lotto to save a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Trilla wrote:

Best player at the World Cup, Best player in Madrid's Champions League winning squad.

I think his status as a world class player is unquestionable.

It's very easy to call him mentally week from an armchair, but I've never moved to a foreign country and had my home broken into with my wife and kids in the gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

astradave wrote: »
    Few rumours on the twittersphere that we have agreed a deal with Barca for Pedro @ 32m Euro or 23m pounds.. Think its coming from Palmeri so might take it with a pinch of salt

He seemed reliable enough for Darmian.

Pedro "deal imminent" according to the same circles that had the Darmian deal - Matteo pedrosi being the one driving this latest progression.

beno619 wrote: »
    Best player at the World Cup, Best player in Madrid's Champions League winning squad.

I think his status as a world class player is unquestionable.

It's very easy to call him mentally week from an armchair, but I've never moved to a foreign country and had my home broken into with my wife and kids in the gaff.

Why was he reals best player in the CL? Because he Played well in the final?

He's a very good player who's inconsistent and doesn't suit us, and doesn't want to play for us or live in the UK.

Ronaldo and Messi are world class... Di Maria isn't at that level and NEVER was. That's easy to see from any type of chair, not just an armchair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

zerks wrote: »
    PSG midweek,the traditional one at OT next weekend was cancelled on the orders of LVG.

Yep Valencia missed out on their usual pre-season trip to Manchester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Italian media all over a spanish player to an english club doesn't strike me with confidence

Italian media all over a spanish player to an english club doesn't strike me with confidence

They called the darmian then Bastian deals very early as well as being the ones driving the Di Maria and Romero stories which are widely accepted to come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Selling DiMaria to replace him with Pedro is a down grade on paper but might just turn out better in all ways.

I would like to see one final superstar come in though. Someone up front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

billyhead wrote: »
    I reckon Woody is going to put in a world record bid for Bale or Ronaldo to see what Reals response will be. Not too pissed of with ADM leaving. He just never produced the goods when he played. Hes too lightweight (could call him a pussy aswell) and his mentally was not up breaking his bollox for the team. Looked disinterested. Perhaps after the burglary his missus had her mind made up that she did not want to be in Manchester anymore and this has had a major influence on his decision to leave. I reckon PSG were his 1st preference a year ago but due to the FFP rules could not sign him. I am not sure about Pedro though. He could be the same. In the Spanish league you are afforded time and space and look a better player then you actually are. Greizmann from Athletico would be a better signing imo.

I never wanted Di Maria, I think hes over rated. As an attacker he doesnt score enough, as a centre mid hes not physical enough. Him costing twice as much as Alexis Sanchez says it all, Mata is a better player too, better character, scores more goals, if only robben was younger Id say we would have gone for him, Greizmann is class , dont understand why we arent in for him, perhaps pedro is better in a possession system but griezmann scores more for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ha ha ha. Jesse at the end. Thought he was gonna run around with the bin on his head :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

He's a very good player who's inconsistent and doesn't suit us, and doesn't want to play for us or live in the UK.

Ronaldo and Messi are world class... Di Maria isn't at that level and NEVER was. That's easy to see from any type of chair, not just an armchair.

Not only that, he just never got Van Gaal's Philosophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads im pretty gutted about Di Maria but I kinda feel sorry for him in a sense. He rather a better life style and a league that is pretty much rubbish competition. He has no notion of thriving for success in a most competitive league in Europe and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. He's basically going from a Ferrari to a Renault that just has money and nothing else.

He's a great player and will be a big miss but I personally dont want a player like him at my club. I want a player that is driven to get utd back where they belong.

Pedro will do a job for us but he is not Di Maria class. Utd need some class to come in for the rest of this window or we wont compete for the PL and CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We are buying the league according to..........................Jose, bitching on Sky news

Oh the irony :pac:

Discodog wrote: »
    We are buying the league according to..........................Jose, bitching on Sky news

No way lol

So if we look at the midfield/attack for the coming season, Utd have at the very least the following players to fit into 5 positions:

Schweinsteiger
    Blind
    Carrick
    Schneiderlin
    Fellaini
    Herrera
    Mata
    Depay
    Pedro*
    Young
    Hernandez
    Perreira
    Januzaj

I've left out Rooney on the premise that he's going to start every game as captain.

And that's without a possible other striker being signed. There are going to be some very disappointed footballers in Manchester of a Saturday afternoon. Going to be a balancing act to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Na he was Madrid's best player on his last season. Thought that was widely acknowledged ?
    Il wait for Di Maria to give his reasons than except the ones you've made up in your head.

Messi and Ronaldo are on a different level to everyone else. I'd have Di Maria up there with Suarez, Neymar, Silva, Mata ect. World Class Players that wouldn't look outta place in any team looking to win the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

José has spent more money in last 10 years then any other manager.

But yes buying the league, if only it was that easy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, Jose is a troll. He says these things to wind people up. My take is if he's starting that sort of mindgame, we're obviously in his head :P

Discodog wrote: »

realistically we still have another 4 signings left to make before we can even contemplate thinking about the league.

a center half
    a replacement for Di Maria
    a striker to replace RVP and Falcao
    a back up goal keeper to replace Valdes.

we have a huge amount of work to do yet in the transfer market. 8 new players would be crazy though, but it looks like now it has to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement