Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

according to the Mirror, LVG has said we can't afford to sign Ronaldo, but that we need to sign a Galactico.

Surprised by this for a number of reasons.

1. I wouldn't have thought there was a player that United could not afford, to be honest.
    2. That LVG would be of the opinion that we need to sign a "Galactico" - I would have thought he would have cared far more for a player that performs to specification of the role required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

according to the Mirror, LVG has said we can't afford to sign Ronaldo, but that we need to sign a Galactico.

1. I wouldn't have thought there was a player that United could not afford, to be honest.
    2. That LVG would be of the opinion that we need to sign a "Galactico" - I would have thought he would have cared far more for a player that performs to specification of the role required.

Can't see Van Gaal saying that myself, but I would say Real are gonna play hard ball with us if we want any player so realistically Ronaldo or Bale could be unaffordable depend on Perezs valuation

From reading some of his comments re. a galactico - he points to Hazard at Chelsea, Aguero at City and Barcelonas front three - players who can get you goals on their own, who will nearly always do something.

I do agree with him, we don't have that player - but I can't see any that we could realistically be looking to buy. If we can't afford Ronaldo I would assume we can't afford Bale either. Can't think of an up and coming "Galactico" for us to try to get.

CK3uJPgWUAA4q1B.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm so relaxed this window.

I really do think we are close to a jackpot signing. If reports are true about Pedro that be nice starter.

Main course will be worth waiting for.

From reading some of his comments re. a galactico - he points to Hazard at Chelsea, Aguero at City and Barcelonas front three - players who can get you goals on their own, who will nearly always do something.

I do agree with him, we don't have that player - but I can't see any that we could realistically be looking to buy. If we can't afford Ronaldo I would assume we can't afford Bale either. Can't think of an up and coming "Galactico" for us to try to get.

We've already signed the prospect in Memphis, be interesting to see who we end up with, Bale the most likely because I reckon Perez would be lynched if Ronaldo left same with Rummenigge if Muller left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If we can't afford Ronaldo I would assume we can't afford Bale either.

Depends on if he is talking about wages or transfer fee or both.

Realistically id say bale would cost more in fee but wages would be less.

but id say Ronaldos fee would be less but his wages would be alot lot more.

How much do people think they would cost in transfer fee's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Depends on if he is talking about wages or transfer fee or both.

Realistically id say bale would cost more in fee but wages would be less.

but id say Ronaldos fee would be less but his wages would be alot lot more.

I reckon Bale would be over 100 million pounds and Ronaldo turning 30, I still think Real would want 60-80

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

duffman13 wrote: »
    I reckon Bale would be over 100 million pounds and Ronaldo turning 30, I still think Real would want 60-80

Thats the way i see it to. Bale going towards his prime years, Ronaldo coming out of them.

Could get 10 years out of Bale but only 3 or 4 from Ronny.

Feck it, lets get both.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »

If paper talk is to be believed, they already rejected €100m for Bale from us and €125m from PSG for Ronaldo :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If paper talk is to be believed, they already rejected €100m for Bale from us and €125m from PSG for Ronaldo :(

Jeez you'd be foolish to spend that much on Ronaldo at this stage in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I did a quick scan, but did he at any stage use the word "Galatico"? Seems to be thats how its being editorialized, when "world class creative player" seems to be what he desires.

Im going off now, when i come back in the morning. Ill come back to Ed pictured with Pique and De Gea with a new contract.

Too optimistic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

zerks wrote: »

Damn a bit of shots fired at Young there no :D. You can understand what he is trying to say though. We don't have one player that is dangerously threatening to our oppositions. Depay can hopefully turn into that figure next season but I think Van Gaal wants somebody now, which is good news for the fans. Mourinho can suck it up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We bought/rented two "Galacticos" last season and they were shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Christ, the standard for being a legend isn't much these days.

In fairness Legend is used pretty broadly in social circles these days, its more like your sound.
    In football terms this doesnt translate well, but I've definetly read people say club legend to differentiate from the 10 pints deep jaysus ur mans a legend.

Language evolution yo. Blame the kids.

EDIT: jesus im hours behind sunday pints will do that to a man. Its still 2014 ya?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hopefully Rooney, Memphis, Mata etc are thinking challenge accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That punning use of Gaal is the only reason Galactico is being used surely!?

You don't just decide you want a player from the Fortnum & Mason quality range, these deals are cooked up over months, starting before the previous season has ended often enough. Pedro/Lazacette are not Galacticos, but I imagine that's the player level he is actually thinking off.

That punning use of Gaal is the only reason Galactico is being used surely!?

You don't just decide you want a player from the Fortnum & Mason quality range, these deals are cooked up over months, starting before the previous season has ended often enough. Pedro/Lazacette are not Galacticos, but I imagine that's the player level he is actually thinking off.

He said Chelsea have Hazard,City have Aguero and Barca have Messi and the other 2 lads.He wants United to have somebody who can open a tight defence or score out of nothing.We lacked that over the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I did a quick scan, but did he at any stage use the word "Galatico"? Seems to be thats how its being editorialized, when "world class creative player" seems to be what he desires.

He also didn't say United couldn't afford Ronaldo, he said they weren't willing to spend that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,648 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think he means a sensible deal cant be done. Ronaldo is 30 and will be 31 next February so with his wages and his age he would have practically no resale value. He is in contract until 2018. He scored 50+ goals for Real last season so is still a key part of their team. He has expressed no serious interest in finishing his top level career anywhere except Real Madrid.

Real Madrid have no reason to sell him for anything less than silly money, and MUFC aren't silly enough to spend it on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Sand wrote:
    Ronaldo is 30 and will be 31 next February so with his wages and his age he would have practically no resale value. He is in contract until 2018. He scored 50+ goals for Real last season so is still a key part of their team. He has expressed no serious interest in finishing his top level career anywhere except Real Madrid.

I always wondered why people bother about resale value. You don't buy a top class player with the intention of selling him on.

sigmundv wrote: »
    I always wondered why people bother about resale value. You don't buy a top class player with the intention of selling him on.

People may or may not bother all they like but you can be sure the club do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Roy Keane on the Di Maria situation:

"It's not a football move, it's a lifestyle move. It tells me the player is weak and his wife runs his life."

Unfortunately it is true and might also be for De Gea :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Roy Keane on the Di Maria situation:

"It's not a football move, it's a lifestyle move. It tells me the player is weak and his wife runs his life."

Or they make decisions as a family, like most people do.

Good old Roy, always looking to stick a boot in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Think Ronaldo will end up seeing out his contract at Madrid, then maybe come "Home" for a couple of years. He's such a phenomenal athlete, he could be massively influential way into his 30's.

Having said that, at that age any club would be forced to pay big wages, offset by the lack of a transfer fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I don't get this, Keane will always give his honest opinion when asked the question. I'd much rather have this than a panel of pundits who are scared to say what they really feel for the threat of upsetting someone. I don't agree with him all the time but I can at least appreciate the fact he is willing to say things that will go against the grain, and give opinions that most would be too afraid to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He is one of our very best players ever, our greatest captain ever, Ireland's greatest captain and probably best player ever, gave me some of my happiest moments as a young football fan in the 90s, was quite possibly the best player in the world for a time in terms of how he could impact a game and is one of the best box-to-box midfielders to ever play the game (though for me Matthaus and Rijkaard are always out in front in that position for #1 and #2), and I still take his side more than the other about the Saipan incident.

But over the last decade or so, he has been more often than not overly bitter and nothing short of pathetic. Shame, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Roy Keane is our version of Joey Barton off the field. Thinks he is way smarter than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

It's beside the point that Keane is on the money when he refers to lifestyle choices rather than football choices being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

secman wrote: »
    It's beside the point that Keane is on the money when he refers to lifestyle choices rather than football choices being made.

Possibly, but we can't say that for certain - and having armed men try to break into your house while you, your wife, and your young kid are in there after having only moved to that city is a very reasonable excuse, if that is the case. He was also not getting many starts at the back end of the season, so if Keane wants to jump to conclusions about it simply being a "lifestyle" issue that means he doesn't think playing time is something footballers value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Keane quote is from years ago, about Mido apparently.

Has Chico being in either of the mexican squads this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,648 ✭✭✭✭Sand

sigmundv wrote: »

No, nobody does, but when you're forking out 60 million or more on a player its nice to know you can recover something out of the price should it all go wrong. Di Maria is a case in point. Normally a 30-31 year old player goes for a lot less than they would at 25 because both sides recognise that resell value is gone at that age. Schweinsteiger is a case in point. But Real have absolutely no reason to give MUFC a discount for Ronaldo. And United aren't mad enough to spend 60 million or more on a 30-31 year old. So the deal cant get done.

CRISTIANO RONALDO HAS STAR APPEAL. DO YOU EVER SEE HIM COMING BACK TO OLD TRAFFORD?
    He may come but it is not possible.
    UNITED FANS WOULD LOVE IT. WHAT ABOUT YOU?
    Yeah, of course. But that's not possible.
    WHY NOT?
    Because you have the club, Ronaldo and then you have Manchester United and how much Manchester United want to spend.

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

3 your beliving things you read in the mirror

Its hard enough to get a read on what LVG says himself due to, he is cryptic, his use of the english language compared to ours and his general distain for the media.

He has mentioned that he follows the transfer news to a degree and ithas most likely has pissed him off.

At a guess I'd say LVGs trolling is seismic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

United have just signed the Argentina goalkeeper Romero. It is official seeing as it is on the official united Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

He sure looks thrilled about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

This Di Marzio guy on twitter really knows his stuff. He was spot on with darmian and schweinsteiger, and he said 3 or 4 days ago that Romero was a done deal and would be announced in the coming days, spot on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Romero anouncement at 1am. At least they are busy on U.S. time :).

Pedro anouncement during my nights sleep, you heard it here first!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement