Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blatter wrote: »
    I would say that Di Marzio could have some good contacts alright but I don't think I can ever fully trust him again after he jumped on the Garay to Utd train last year.

IMO a lot of his work is deciphering what info is reliable and which isn't and then presenting the reliable info as his own (something he's very good at). He very rarely breaks a story, his reports are almost always on the back of exisiting info. For example it was Bild who broke the Schweinsteiger story and went big with it, most people accepted that it was going to happen but that didn't stop di Marzio coming along 'confirming' it was going to happen before it did. I'm not sure how feasible it is for any one journalist to get the inside scoop on so many major transfers around Europe.

I trust him for only Italian transfers or any transfers involving Italian teams. He has good contacts with Italian clubs and that's it. For anything outside he is just a normal journo who takes punt on 100 in a hope at least one will stick.

Like you said it's impossible for any journo to have contacts with all over the world transfers. I'm surprised he is not reporting anything on Asian transfers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Poor Romero. He doesn't even get the Choo Choo positivity trains and the Kate Upton boob gifs. This thread is falling apart. :p

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Romero is simply a replacement for Lindegard and Valdes, fine - grand backup keeper.

If he is being signed with any intention of him being first choice the club have fecked up. Not good enough.

Marca reporting that Ramos looking happy to stay at Madrid following talks with Perez at the weekend. never saw that coming! May be BS, but if it is true I certainly hope we get a move on for another defensive target, and hopefully it is Otamendi.

United have done great business so far this summer, but we need another few players in to bring us to the next level. Hopefully it gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Would be massively disappointed if we didn't get a top class defender in this summer, preferably before the spurs game.
    van gaal quoted on sky this morning of talking up the necessity of acquiring a quick forward player as acknowledged the lack of pace upfront apart from depay.
    Worryingly he is also saying he got romero in as he fears de Gea being gone this summer and wanted romero in case which makes it sound like romero will be first choice gk if de Gea leaves

• Advertisement

For some reasons first part about Di Maria is missed in few papers.
    "I think we still need more speed in front and also more creativity and that is why I want (Angel) Di Maria to stay, but, we don't know that so we will have to see,” he said.

"Bayern Munchen – they have Ribery and Robben. Chelsea have Hazard and Willian. Real Madrid: Ronaldo and Bale. Barcelona: Neymar and Messi.

"(Ashley) Young and (Juan) Mata had fantastic seasons with assists and goals but to win the Champions League you need speed also. That is why I think, maybe, we still have to buy a player with speed and creativity."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9926045/manchester-united-boss-louis-van-gaal-reveals-two-year-plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ian Ladyman ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 57m57 minutes ago
    If Ramos stays and Di Maria goes then all of a sudden a good summer threatens to become a bad summer. Over to you, Ed. #MUFC

valid point in fairness. we still have a huge amount of work to do, i hope we dont rest on our laurels and go for the kill now in the transfer market as its the difference between being contenders for title or fighting for 4th which i believe is our current expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    "(Ashley) Young and (Juan) Mata had fantastic seasons with assists and goals

The same Ashley Young that scored 2 goals last season? :pac:

I really don't agree with Van Gaal continually throwing his players under the bus, his comments about Young in comparison to Aguero/Neymar were way out of line in my opinion. But its hard not to agree with the sentiment, any team relying on Ashley Young for creativity isn't going to win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It does seem according to Marca that Perez simply told Ramos, he is not going to be sold, he has a contract, he is too important and that there will be no move.

According to Ducker, deal for Di Maria is 46.5 Million and with add ons it's 51 Million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If Romero is simply a replacement for Lindegard and Valdes, fine - grand backup keeper.

If he is being signed with any intention of him being first choice the club have fecked up. Not good enough.

how do you know he is not good enough? Did you follow him closely last season? Do you know what his strong points and weaknesses are? Why pass judgement on a player when you have probably rarely seen him play. When de Gea leaves, Romero will be the new no1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think i'm only a good Centre Back away from being happy with our transfers. After that I would hope for a superstar forward player but won't expect it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    When de Gea leaves, Romero will be the new no1

Not a chance, imo. He's a replacement for Valdes, not for De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wondering how many Utd fans here have seen Otamendi play?
    I wonder do people make statements like "I hope we get xxx", simply because some media outlets have talked them up, without having ever seen them play?

how do you know he is not good enough? Did you follow him closely last season? Do you know what his strong points and weaknesses are? Why pass judgement on a player when you have probably rarely seen him play. When de Gea leaves, Romero will be the new no1

Yeah, I should ignore my judgement of him being a poor keeper based on the games I have seen him for Argentina, and also pay no attention to the fact he has been a second choice keeper to Emiliano Viviano last season and whomever the Monaco keeper was the season before.

He is obviously a top level keeper.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think i'm only a good Centre Back away from being happy with our transfers. After that I would hope for a superstar forward player but won't expect it.

Having lost Falcao, RVP and now very likely ADM, I worry about our attacking play, considering Depay is the only addition in that regard. We were poor last season so we need to improve there, we need to add goals and however bad the three listed departures were, there should still be an effort to replace what they should have brought. We brought in Falcao and ADM for a reason, that reason still exists.

I do reckon Pedro will be the player to replace ADM and RVP, whether that is enough we will find out at the end of the season. If Rooney doesn't have a good season, it won't be, imo.

We absolutely need to sign a CB - the fact Blind has been getting significant time there in pre-season shows we need to invest there.

Yeah, I should ignore my judgement of him being a poor keeper based on the games I have seen him for Argentina, and also pay no attention to the fact he has been a second choice keeper to Emiliano Viviano last season and whomever the Monaco keeper was the season before.

I never said top level, there are not many top level keepers out there, but you know nothing about the player, strengths/weaknesses etc I trust van gaal, he has worked with him before and knows more than any of us do about him

https://instagram.com/p/5oZGHBKP4T/

Me and @romelulukakubolingoli10 in an conversation. See you soon B

Tier 0 confirmed! :P

I don't rate Romero highly at all but without checking the context and using "he was second choice at Sampdoria" is wrong.

From redcafe:
    Yeah Massimo Ferrero is literally crazy and he's constantly being interviewed by Italian media because he's a good laugh. To give you a glimpse about the man

a- He couldn't even pronounce his former manager's surname and kept calling him Mihailic (his surname is Mihajlovic and he was also a Sampdoria player).
    b- He mixes TV presenters around and insist to talk to people who are regulars in a rival TV program
    c- He flirted on live TV with Illaria D'Amico who happens to be Buffon's GF
    d- He encouraged Moratti (former Inter owner and now just a minority shareholder) to sack il filippino (the new owner whose btw is not from the Phillipines but from Indonesia). Its like asking Martin Edwards to sack the Glazers.

Also I found this article which may help

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/calciomercato/2015/03/25-326032/Sampdoria,+Romero+al+passo+d'addio.+«Voglio+una+big+europea»

Basically it says that Romero had 2 great seasons with Sampdoria (1 in Serie B and another one in Serie A) and than a bad season in 2013. After the 2013 season, Sampdoria wanted him to accept a pay cut and he refused. It seems that such decision contributed to burn bridges with the club as the goalkeeper was quickly shipped off to Monaco who only needed him as no 2. Monaco couldn't buy him out for financial reasons and he refused to go to Benfica as his contract was close to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I never said top level, there are not many top level keepers out there, but you know nothing about the player, strengths/weaknesses etc I trust van gaal, he has worked with him before and knows more than any of us do about him

Have you watched much of him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So this Romero fella. Whats the suss on him? I've never even seen him play?

Have you watched much of him?

no but I don't pass judgement on him either, saying stuff like
    "If he is being signed with any intention of him being first choice the club have fecked up. Not good enough."
    I trust van gaal knows what he is doing, he has worked with him before and he has 61 caps with Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MagicIRL wrote: »
    So this Romero fella. Whats the suss on him? I've never even seen him play?

From watching youtube videos of him I have gathered the following information

He is a great shotstopper but also a crap shotstopper
    He flaps and Crosses/he is great at coming for crosses
    he commands his box well/he is rooted to his line
    he is good on the ball/he's shìt with the ball at his feet
    he is a great penalty saver/no he really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"If he is being signed with any intention of him being first choice the club have fecked up. Not good enough."
    I trust van gaal knows what he is doing, he has worked with him before and he has 61 caps with Argentina

But you have judged him. You have judged that he must be good because we signed him, and because LVG signed him. Considering the number of duds we have signed over the years I wouldn't really call that a guarantee of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

astradave wrote: »
    From watching youtube videos of him I have gathered the following information

He is a great shotstopper but also a crap shotstopper

He flaps and Crosses/he is great at coming for crosses

he commands his box well/he is rooted to his line

he is good on the ball/he's shìt with the ball at his feet

he is a great penalty saver/no he really is

So consistently inconsistent. A good quality in a keeper :p

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not a chance, imo. He's a replacement for Valdes, not for De Gea.

Have you seen van Gaal's interview?

So both you and Mitch haven't seen much of him yet you can definitively say he'll be #1 in the event of DeGea leaving and Mitch isn't allowed say he's only been signed as backup?

But you have judged him. You have judged that he must be good because we signed him, and because LVG signed him. Considering the number of duds we have signed over the years I wouldn't really call that a guarantee of quality.

no I haven't, the only time I seen him play was at the world cup and to be honest I wouldn't have paid much notice to him like I would imagine 99 out of 100 people wouldn't have. Im not saying he is quality or not but you cant come out with statements like he is not good enough when most people would have barely seen him play

I read the quote, and read it as "If De Gea goes, Romero can be a temporary back up while we sort things out. if De Gea goes, we aren't going to be handing a debut to Johnstone who has never played for the first team before".

• Advertisement

So both you and Mitch haven't seen much of him yet you can definitively say he'll be #1 in the event of DeGea leaving and Mitch isn't allowed say he's only been signed as backup?

ffs, I didn't say it van Gaal did!!!

Wenger signed him and has 20+ caps for Brazil including world cup 2010 where he started all their games (IIRC)

andre-santos_2316694b.jpg

irishchris wrote: »
    Have you seen van Gaal's interview?
    Tbf what else was he supposed to say.. we have another keeper lined up for when Dave goes so he is gonna be back up to him.. of course he isn't gonna give away his transfer plans

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder do people make statements like "I hope we get xxx", simply because some media outlets have talked them up, without having ever seen them play?

I haven't seen much of Otamendi at all and maybe that's why I'm not as pushed to whether we sign him or not, but I'm also content enough with our defence for now.

I still feel that we have been lacking in goals the last two seasons and people have been putting too much blame on our defending and not enough at the fact that we haven't been scoring nearly as much as we need to.

astradave wrote: »
    Tbf what else was he supposed to say.. we have another keeper lined up for when Dave goes so he is gonna be back up to him.. of course he isn't gonna give away his transfer plans

Or it could be that what he is saying is.......the truth (shock horror ☺)

ffs, I didn't say it van Gaal did!!!

No he didn't. He said he felt Romero could potentially be capable of stepping in should De Gea leave in a hurry. What else do you expect him to say?

• Advertisement

No he didn't. He said he felt Romero could potentially be capable of stepping in should De Gea leave in a hurry. What else do you expect him to say?

"I think Sergio Romero can fulfil that because because you have to handle quickly what may happen with David de Gea. I think he is a very good choice"

ie if de gea leaves he is the no1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm sure that does happen, but on Otamendi, he's played for two fairly major clubs for 4 or 5 years now. Porto are always in Europe, and La Liga is very accessible for anyone that wants to watch.

It would be surprising if people were completely oblivious to him.

yes he is a brilliant defender, so to is the left back Gaya. He will probably end up at Real Madrid next year or year after though

"I think Sergio Romero can fulfil that because because you have to handle quickly what may happen with David de Gea. I think he is a very good choice"

ie if de gea leaves he is the no1

Or... We've signed a back-up keeper I've worked with before on a free just in case De Gea leaves late in the window and we can't get a replacement in in time and we're left with no one but Sam Johnstone after Valdes and Lindegard leave too. I obviously am not going to say this in an interview to you because that would be incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cryptic from Sid Lowe.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 6m6 minutes ago

Ramos news coming to @guardian_sport shortly.

Then in response to people saying he's signed a new contract.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 3m3 minutes ago

By the way, the thing many of you keep saying you "know", you don't.

(Or at least my information is that you don't ;-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33670851
    Louis van Gaal: Man Utd boss plans to leave in 2017 for his wife

Cryptic from Sid Lowe.

Ramos announces early retirement!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember him from the beginning saying he would just see out his contract then spend time with the family.

Hopefully we have things to celebrate about with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

This contradicts what he said the other day about possibly extending his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I seriously hope this is just Van Gaal doing a favour for an old player. He's nowhere close to being good enough to be No. 1 for any team planning a title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has the Away and 3rd kits been confirmed yet?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I seriously hope this is just Van Gaal doing a favour for an old player. He's nowhere close to being good enough to be No. 1 for any team planning a title challenge.

As a backup keeper he is almost the perfect signing, I wouldn't see it as a favour.

He has worked with LVG before, knows how LVG works and how a player is supposed to act. Even if DDG stays, with question marks over Valdes, along with a desire to send Jonstone out on loan for experience, we needed to bring in a backup keeper, imo.

Hopefully if DDG does leave we still go for a new keeper, because I think we would need to. But if DDG stays for even just this season then Romero on a free is good business, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Cryptic from Sid Lowe.

Ramos announces that Perez is a sh!tehawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Does anyone think that LvG's neck is on the line if MUFC are not challenging for the title?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement