Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cryptic from Sid Lowe.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 6m6 minutes ago

Ramos news coming to @guardian_sport shortly.

Then in response to people saying he's signed a new contract.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 3m3 minutes ago

By the way, the thing many of you keep saying you "know", you don't.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe 3m3 minutes ago

(Or at least my information is that you don't ;-) )

Saw that and came onto post about it, he has close links to Ramos so it will be interesting to see what he has to say in the Guardian.

Maybe nothing has changed...????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RobertKK wrote: »
    Saw that and came onto post about it, he has close links to Ramos so it will be interesting to see what he has to say in the Guardian.

Maybe nothing has changed...????

Basically says that Real told Ramos he won't be sold under any circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Loving that new jersey that was "accidentally" put on sale in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Does anyone think that LvG's neck is on the line if MUFC are not challenging for the title?

it should be, but it probably wont.

anything less than taking the title down to the last week or two is unacceptbale in my opinion but at the moment i cant see us doing better than 4th unless we sign at least 2 more top class players.

we need a center half and a creative player in attack, plus a back up striker to Rooney. we dont sign those, we are in trouble IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

LVG said they need more pace and creativity in attack, Antoine Griezmann is available for 48m since thats what his buy out clause is . Its a lot of money but he looks a better player than sterling and right up there with what we need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

it should be, but it probably wont.

anything less than taking the title down to the last week or two is unacceptbale in my opinion but at the moment i cant see us doing better than 4th unless we sign at least 2 more top class players.

we need a center half and a creative player in attack, plus a back up striker to Rooney. we dont sign those, we are in trouble IMO.

unless arsenal sign a quality centre half, a dominate midfielder and a world class striker we will finish above them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Does anyone think that LvG's neck is on the line if MUFC are not challenging for the title?

He has spouted so much about process and philosophy that another poor season will just be written down as all part of the development. I believe that as it stands we should be making a title challenge, but as long as he gets top four again he won't be in any danger at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

LVG said they need more pace and creativity in attack, Antoine Griezmann is available for 48m since thats what his buy out clause is . Its a lot of money but he looks a better player than sterling and right up there with what we need

I'd take a punt on Kevin Volland personally if I were LvG before Bayern/Dortmund come in for him next season.

He has spouted so much about process and philosophy that another poor season will just be written down as all part of the development. I believe that as it stands we should be making a title challenge, but as long as he gets top four again he won't be in any danger at all.

This is "Arsenal" syndrome whereby "winning" is getting a place in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League.

For the money being spent . . . Is this really good enough?

I anticipate a better season next season but it would not surprise me if United a languishing around 3rd/4th by Xmas. . . A good ten points off Chelsea.

What then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I think LVG is safe as long as Utd qualify for the CL.

If he doesn't have the players to improve on last season that's not his fault, but it won't save him if Utd miss out on the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Korat wrote: »

If he doesn't have the players to improve on last season that's not his fault, but it won't save him if Utd miss out on the CL.

how does he not have the players after spending nearly £250 million on them ?

so 12 days to go until season starts and we maybe finally realising that Ramos isnt signing for us.

not good. need a CH in asap, but its getting too late now IMO, any incoming CH would have missed entire preseason with us.

He has spent £221m since he arrived at the club, to add to one or two good players already there.

221 million pounds. Thats more than the value of many entire football clubs. If he still doesn't have the players I would suggest it is his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He has spent £221m since he arrived at the club, to add to one or two good players already there.

221 million pounds. Thats more than the value of many entire football clubs. If he still doesn't have the players I would suggest it is his fault.

He's still weak up front and missing a centre half, if those positions are filled then there's no excuses. There's been a squad's worth of players moved on in the same time period, including a lot of high wage earners.

221 million pounds. If he still doesn't have the players I would suggest it is his fault.

Van Gaal is not around for the long term . . . This was never a job for more than 4/5 years for him in my view. . . which, of course, far outstrips the average length of stay of most PL managers at their clubs.

Nevertheless he appears to have gained personally from the disappointment that was Moyes.

After the money he has spent he should be shown the door if there is not a title challenge at the very least.

• Advertisement

so 12 days to go until season starts and we maybe finally realising that Ramos isnt signing for us.

not good. need a CH in asap, but its getting too late now IMO, any incoming CH would have missed entire preseason with us.

even if we signed Otamendi 2 months ago he would have missed the entire pre season anyway so doesn't really make much difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    even if we signed Otamendi 2 months ago he would have missed the entire pre season anyway so doesn't really make much difference

but its just not good enough and we're fúcked....completely fúcked!

Jokes aside it is a little disappointing a CB isn't on board, and to a lesser extent another striker to add to Rooney, Adnan, Wilson and Chico.

There's still some time imo to get them in and gel

Van Gaal with the money he's spent now will not get away with just getting into the champions league next season. He's stopped the sinking ship from happening imo, it's now time to push hard in both league & CL though.

I'd say we'd be very close on all fronts if we can nab Ramos.... The man brings steel to any team in world football.

I thought the manager made a list of the players he wanted and Ed Woodward spent the money... or didn't.

All this time I've been accusing Ed Woodward of being hopeless in the transfer market when it was the manager all along. That explains why Moyes got the sack and not him. You'd think LVG would have pulled the finger out by now and signed the kind of commanding CB the team is so obviously missing.

Van Gaal Out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

wow this thread seems very depressed this am.

we need some positively chooo chooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Trilla wrote: »
    but its just not good enough and we're fúcked....completely fúcked!

Jokes aside it is a little disappointing a CB isn't on board, and to a lesser extent another striker to add to Rooney, Adnan, Wilson and Chico.

There's still some time imo to get them in and gel

Maybe if Di Maria is going to PSG, it's to bring Thiago silva the other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We won't win the league next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

this is true, and all this talk of "at least a challenge" is pitiful.

no because we will win it this season and Chelsea will go out and spent 100m next season and they will win it then :)

We might, especially if a CB and a decent striker comes on board.

I doubt it but I wouldn't rule us out.

astrofool wrote: »
    He's still weak up front and missing a centre half, if those positions are filled then there's no excuses. There's been a squad's worth of players moved on in the same time period, including a lot of high wage earners.

The squad still needs work, no question of that. But relative to the competition we do already have enough there to be making a legitimate title challenge.

Maybe not, we could indeed fall short, thats just football. But we should definitely be challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well, Real Madrid won't allow him to move, where is Blatter when you need him to talk about slavery?
    Probably paid off and staying quiet about slavery, given over 1,200 slaves have died so far in Qatar as they build their infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup....

Otamendi would be good, or break the buyout clause and get Laporte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Bangkok how many games do you need to watch before you can comment on a player. Or is it a minutes thing. Do highlight reels count towards it.

I'd like to know the rules in case I look silly.

Optimism
    Their year

The league starting a week earlier this season?

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    The league starting a week earlier this season?

Yep due to the Euros next summer I'd say.

Bangkok how many games do you need to watch before you can comment on a player. Or is it a minutes thing. Do highlight reels count towards it.

Optimism
    Their year

you can comment all you want, but you look silly when you say a player is not good enough when you never/rarely seen him play. Simple :)

a team with a top class Center Back, Pedro and one top class signing would have a great chance of winning the league IMO, assuming DDG stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Optimism
    Their year

In fairness if you've an interest in football chances are you've seen Otamendi play a fair few times over the last couple of seasons and he's said he's only seen Romero a handful of times in the World Cup. I've seen Otamendi a few times and think he looks the real deal, Romero not so much but I'll give him a fair chance before judging him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was funny seeing how woeful Van Gaals QA was reported.

So much dramatisation and misquoting. I'd say F365 mediawatch will have a field day :)

Ramos has unfortunately turned into a sage we needed to avoid. Hopefully Ed had the bases covered and things in place to pull the trigger on if Ramos ended up staying. Would also hope a deadline was provided, thats gone on way too long.

Still have a feeling something big coming our way, don't know where its coming from, just feel something big.

And that is Pedro aside. Really rate him, and his ommision from Barca has been somewhat harsh, considering the level he was at for a few years. And no where near in decline. Pedro would provide the spark and pace that Di Maria failed to do throughout the season.

a team with a top class Center Back, Pedro and one top class signing would have a great chance of winning the league IMO, assuming DDG stays.

The crux if it is if De Gea stays I reckon we've a decent shot at the title however if he leaves we won't get within 5 of the title unless we sign a Bale/Ronaldo type

magnumbud wrote: »
    wow this thread seems very depressed this am.

we need some positively chooo chooo

Rooney will have the season of his life, 30+ goals.

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling will see a hypnotist who convinces them they're Vidic and Ferdinand, and that they never get injured.

DDG develops an allegy to dry, sunny climates and signs a new contract on advice from doctors.

Memphis turns into the new Ronnie.

And we all live happily ever after. :)

CHOO! CHOOO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Rooney will have the season of his life, 30+ goals.

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling will see a hypnotist who convinces them they're Vidic and Ferdinand, and that they never get injured.

DDG develops an allegy to dry, sunny climates and signs a new contract on advice from doctors.

Memphis turns into the new Ronnie.

And we all live happily ever after. :)

CHOO! CHOOO!!!

dont forget Ronnie coming home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'd take a punt on Kevin Volland personally if I were LvG before Bayern/Dortmund come in for him next season.

Great player, no doubt in my mind he will be a household name soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It does ease the worry a bit seeing that Van Gaal quote about needing a quick creative player if Di Maria goes.

I've been saying it a few weeks even if we sign Pedro I don't think Depay, Young, Mata and Rooney will be enough.

We need a player on the level of Hazard, Sanchez, Neymar, getting one is another story however. You will need to break the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've said before and it's a massive if, but if they think they can better manage the fitness of Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rojo I'd be happy with them backed up by McNair and Blackett. The 2nd half of last season makes me somewhat confident if that is the case but there will probably be the big signing everyone wants.

It does ease the worry a bit seeing that Van Gaal quote about needing a quick creative player if Di Maria goes.

I've been saying it a few weeks even if we sign Pedro I don't think Depay, Young, Mata and Rooney will be enough.

We need a player on the level of Hazard, Sanchez, Neymar, getting one is another story however. You will need to break the bank

Wish we had of went for Sanchez last season, that was a steal for Arsenal, Reus is probably the only attainable one that would get in that category

Liam O wrote: »
    I've said before and it's a massive if, but if they think they can better manage the fitness of Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rojo I'd be happy with them backed up by McNair and Blackett. The 2nd half of last season makes me somewhat confident if that is the case but there will probably be the big signing everyone wants.

I agree with you..but we both better keep our heads down as no doubt most here will disagree :pac::pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Interesting article. Every season though the old question about of Ronnie will return pops its head up!

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33670851

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

The question is - do you go and sign an established star and break the bank - or do you go after someone between the ages of 20 and 22 with potential? Someone mentioned Kevin Volland - a player like him could turn out to be a great signing.

• Advertisement

Its too big of a risk at this point. I too would be happy to give those lads another chance to cement their spots, but again and again when it comes to the crunch they simply haven't been available for one reason or another. I'm not convinced we are going to get defenders that are worlds better than the likes of Jones, but at this stage I just want a player who will actually be there when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its too big of a risk at this point. I too would be happy to give those lads another chance to cement their spots, but again and again when it comes to the crunch they simply haven't been available for one reason or another. I'm not convinced we are going to get defenders that are worlds better than the likes of Jones, but at this stage I just want a player who will actually be there when needed.
    I can definitely understand that opinion and on another day might have it myself.

I guess Carrick could go in there too. He's never been really bad when played there and his increasing lack of legs could be put to good use deeper.

kstand wrote: »
    The question is - do you go and sign an established star and break the bank - or do you go after someone between the ages of 20 and 22 with potential? Someone mentioned Kevin Volland - a player like him could turn out to be a great signing.

Yeah a few of us have brought up his name, cracking player, think he recently signed a new contract though, still would be relatively cheap compared to others.

Anyone who followed the u21 euros would definetey noticed him anyway! Was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I can definitely understand that opinion and on another day might have it myself.

I guess Carrick could go in there too. He's never been really bad when played there and his increasing lack of legs could be put to good use deeper.

So for CB right now we have Jones , Smalling , Rojo , McNair , Blackett , Evans & Blind with a few of them also available as LB.

I know Daley only started the game at CB against Barca but he done well in my opinion, is left sided obviously and is a better ball carrying/playing CB than any of the rest. If we don't sign a CB don't be surprised to see him playing there more this season with Bastian and Morgan now on board for the centre as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not sure how anyone could be happy with Blackett as back up.

Simply not good enough imo. We got rid of Thorpe who was a better player. His left foot is keeping him at the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement