Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

We should sign Handanovic to replace De Gea, he is looking decent in this game vs Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

De Gea
    Darmian Rojo Smalling Shaw
    Carrick Schneiderlin
    Mata Memphis Di Maria/Pedro
    Rooney

Romero
    Valencia Jones McNair Blind
    Schweinsteiger
    Herrera Fellaini
    Lingard Young
    Januzaj

an experienced CB would be a great addition, but otherwise, not so bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

For me a backup Striker or someone to push Rooney is needed a lot more than a CB.

I'm happy too with what we have.

With Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Evans if any do get injured we have the likes of McNair, Blackett, Blind, Carrick who could step in. I know they are not names people would be going crazy about stepping in but they all have premier league experience at CB now, and I don't see the defensive injuries to be as bad this season as last year.

But if Rooney gets injured we're realistically down to Hernandez and Wilson as striker options. Depay or Januzaj if stuck. I really think we need another striker there who would be close to first team that could step in and get goals if called upon.

My big concern is if Rooney gets injured who will go into the striker role and how will they perform. We will also need as much players as possible contributing to goals so I do think we need a player who is a goal scorer that can be subbed on or play when needed and get us goals. Doesn't have to be a world class striker in my view just a goal getter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    I've said before and it's a massive if, but if they think they can better manage the fitness of Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rojo I'd be happy with them backed up by McNair and Blackett. The 2nd half of last season makes me somewhat confident if that is the case but there will probably be the big signing everyone wants.

I agree with this. Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Evans are good enough CBs. Now with proper RB rather than a winger playing as one, also Shaw playing as LB and more importantly having proper CMs who can defend like Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger we should be good enough.

Also defending is more to do with coach than just individuals. For example, Simeone without signing anyone big changed Atletico Madrid defense, from conceding 46 goal to 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we only make 1 signing now it has to be a Top Class CB.

We need a very solid defense. DDG papered over cracks last season. If we do get a quality CB and Dariman gets his time I be optimistic we can push for league, although I still think we are few short.

I still think we will buy 3 more. Panic Button is good 2 weeks away.

Positivity Train continues ;)

I hope our new kits arnt made with the same material as these Real kits....... The state of them on the sweaty players,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RayCun wrote: »
    De Gea
    Darmian Rojo Smalling Shaw
    Carrick Schneiderlin
    Mata Memphis Di Maria/Pedro
    Rooney

CBs should be the other way around.
    Jones will be a starter if no more additions are made.
    Schweinstiger will be a starter when fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Natalie sawyer looking well on SSN right now
    Dressed in Red...
    If she broke some signing now I'd be sooooooo happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

As it stands there are just too many areas where we are still one injury away from it all falling apart. And for a squad that is notoriously bad for injuries, and with an increased number of games, this is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

I fear for Ander herreras' playing time this season. He seems to constantly have to prove himself and try win back his place when the opportunity arises......I suppose that shows character and that's a good thing, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

thomasj wrote: »
    Interesting article. Every season though the old question about of Ronnie will return pops its head up!

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33670851

Last season Ronaldo used United to strike a better new contract with Real.

twinex wrote: »
    I fear for Ander herreras' playing time this season. He seems to constantly have to prove himself and try win back his place when the opportunity arises......I suppose that shows character and that's a good thing, right?

If i was the manager, he would start every game

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    As it stands there are just too many areas where we are still one injury away from it all falling apart.

Rooney - replacements are Wilson, Hernandez, Januzaj, Memphis - that I'd give you
    De Gea - replacement is Romero - give you that one too (but how many clubs have a second keeper as good as their first?)
    Where else?

LvG has promised his wife that he will leave Man U in 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33670851

Goes back to what I stated earlier. .

Rooney - replacements are Wilson, Hernandez, Januzaj, Memphis - that I'd give you
    De Gea - replacement is Romero - give you that one too (but how many clubs have a second keeper as good as their first?)
    Where else?

Right back and centre half are two straight away. Others are then dependent on the system LvG settles on.

The only positions we've strengthened so far are the centre of midfield (which was badly needed) and right back.

And for a team with a chronic injury problem who has aspirations to play an extra ~15-20 games this season plus mount a title challenge there's still plenty to be done.

Right back and centre half are two straight away. Others are then dependent on the system LvG settles on.

Valencia playing for Dermian, or Jones/Blind/Blackett playing for Smalling/Rojo
    :confused: doesn't sound like things falling apart to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Alex Meier wrote: »
    LvG has promised his wife that he will leave Man U in 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33670851

Goes back to what I stated earlier. .

Read the full transcript. What was actually said was.

If United offered a new contract, would you take it?

“You never know, you can never say ‘I go.’ I have already said to my wife it might be that we extend in Manchester... but normally I have said to my wife that after 55 years I quit. And I am still business and in two weeks time I will be 64!

Valencia playing for Dermian, or Jones/Blind/Blackett playing for Smalling/Rojo
    :confused: doesn't sound like things falling apart to me.

Darmian gets injured and we're back in the same defensive situation we were in for last season. Can't see the upside to that myself.

And the very fact that you're including Blind and Blackett in your list is enough to tell it all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What ever happened Ryan Shawcross?

He was linked with a move to a big club a few years ago. I thought he had similar ability to Jones without the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lets say we can only sign one more player, either a centre back or an attacking player, which is it to be?

for me goals win games, so I am always going to go for the attacking player..

also just watching the Inter Milan Real Madrid game there, Ronaldo is playing as the main striker, supported by Jese, Isco and Bale. I have a feeling that Benzema will end up at either Utd or Arsenal before the transfer window closes

Read the full transcript. What was actually said was.

If United offered a new contract, would you take it?

“You never know, you can never say ‘I go.’ I have already said to my wife it might be that we extend in Manchester... but normally I have said to my wife that after 55 years I quit. And I am still business and in two weeks time I will be 64!

The wife is also "very mad" that he's still in management.

He won't stay beyond 2017 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

We have a much better midfield this year so I would expect a lot less pressure on our defence. With Di Maria going I think a replacement (I would be very happy with Pedro) should be top priority. Smalling, Jones, Evans & Rojo are all good players of a similar standard & McNair is well capable of being a 5th choice. Add to that Blind & Carrick, which previously would've meant directly weakening our midfield but this is no longer a problem. The only way we should be adding a centre back is if they're already a top top player & automatic starter. Even then I'd keep the rest until January at least.

We should be able to deal with injuries at the back. At the minute an injury to any of Mata, Depay or Young would leave us seriously weakened in attack so a signing is needed. Then with Januzaj, Perreira & Lingard we have 3 extremely talented players to act as backup.

Up front is a bit more awkward I think. Rooney is guaranteed starter, I can't see us signing a Cavani, Benzema, Ibrahimovic etc. as a result. Too much money on a backup. At the same time if Rooney gets injured I wouldn't trust Hernandez to be first choice in a 1 striker formation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Alex Meier wrote: »
    The wife is also "very mad" that he's still in management.

He won't stay beyond 2017 I'd say.

I never said that he would. I'm simply pointing out that BBC used part of the quote to make it look like he said something that he didn't actually say. Which I have to say I'm surprised and a little upset to see from the BBC.

yeah, looks to me like he was ruling out taking another job somewhere after United, but not ruling out extending his United contract. Not saying he would either, just not ruling it out.
    Darmian gets injured and we're back in the same defensive situation we were in for last season. Can't see the upside to that myself.

And the very fact that you're including Blind and Blackett in your list is enough to tell it all tbh.

just saying that is not "things falling apart". Things falling apart is when you have to play Carrick and Fletcher in defence. We have cover in defence and midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's a bit silly that the media is going big with Van Gaal's comments about his wife and the possibilities of extending his contract - it really isn't anything new, he's said all of this stuff before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

media running with lukaku to united after memphis instagram earlier of the 2 of them with the tag line "Me and @romelulukakubolingoli10 in an conversation. See you soon B"

they really will use anything to get a story going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

magnumbud wrote: »
    media running with lukaku to united after memphis instagram earlier of the 2 of them with the tag line "Me and @romelulukakubolingoli10 in an conversation. See you soon B"

they really will use anything to get a story going

I think it's probably one of those things that people are reading into, and it's one guy telling a friend they'll talk soon.

But would people be happy with Lukaku as Rooney's backup/heir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd be happy with Ramos|Otamendi and Lukaku.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think it's probably one of those things that people are reading into, and it's one guy telling a friend they'll talk soon.

But would people be happy with Lukaku as Rooney's backup/heir?

yeah especially with liverpool and manchester so close,

i like him. was surprised that chelsea let him go. imagine his price would be steep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd be happy with Ramos|Otamendi and Lukaku.

As would I - if he knuckles down in training and shows the right attitude to improving himself he could be an absolute beast of a player soon. He is currently a long way off, imo, as his alround game is poor but he has the attributes to be great. Just needs to learn.

The money required would be HUGE though, as Everton only signed him last season for 28million, so you'd probably be looking at near 40 to get him, which I think is crazy money for him. 28million was crazy for him.

• Advertisement

As would I - if he knuckles down in training and shows the right attitude to improving himself he could be an absolute beast of a player soon. He is currently a long way off, imo, as his alround game is poor but he has the attributes to be great. Just needs to learn.

The money required would be HUGE though, as Everton only signed him last season for 28million, so you'd probably be looking at near 40 to get him, which I think is crazy money for him. 28million was crazy for him.

Jaysus 40m for him would be ridonkulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

40m would be too much. 28m was a little too much for Everton, but then again Benteke went for 32 and I'd feel Lukaku will be the better striker.

Lukaku has some down right impressive stats, is still surprisingly young, and has a clear appetite to play in a big club. Was another example of Mourinho failing to harness a young player in my view, rather then Lukaku having an attitude problem. Lukaku is far superior to Drogba resigned and Remy, or Torres during his Chelsea spell, but never got a look in.

Got a bit jaded last year after being getting little resting time, but already bagging hat tricks for Everton in pre-season. Expect a big season from him.

Would be very happy if we got Lukaku, but he'd need to deal with a season as second choice behind Rooney, which I don't think he would accept(and rightly so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

With all LVGs talk on the need for a quick creative player, I cannot understand why we are not in for Kevin De Bruyne. He would be an ideal replacement for angel di maria

TheDoc wrote: »
    40m would be too much. 28m was a little too much for Everton, but then again Benteke went for 32 and I'd feel Lukaku will be the better striker.

Lukaku has some down right impressive stats, is still surprisingly young, and has a clear appetite to play in a big club. Was another example of Mourinho failing to harness a young player in my view, rather then Lukaku having an attitude problem. Lukaku is far superior to Drogba resigned and Remy, or Torres during his Chelsea spell, but never got a look in.

Got a bit jaded last year after being getting little resting time, but already bagging hat tricks for Everton in pre-season. Expect a big season from him.

Would be very happy if we got Lukaku, but he'd need to deal with a season as second choice behind Rooney, which I don't think he would accept(and rightly so)
    yeah i mean in fairness everton had a poor enough season last year in general so the supply was not as good. think he would offer something different to what we already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

portcrap wrote: »
    With all LVGs talk on the need for a quick creative player, I cannot understand why we are not in for Kevin De Bruyne. He would be an ideal replacement for angel di maria

Isnt he more of a number 10 and little deeper and not a wide player, from sounds of lvg he needs a creative player tats wide. We have lots of players that play behind striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

16 year old attacking mid \ striker

was with the united youth team last year

16 year old attacking mid \ striker

Ah, ok. Good prospect?

This is him signing the contract apparently

https://twitter.com/Czar_Jaz/status/625666534384500737

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gribbon is an excellent prospect - I reckon he will be the key man for the U18 side, probably get good game time for the U21 (particularly in the second half of the season) and will probably train quite a bit with the first team. Still very young so would be surprised to see him named in any match day squads. I would have marked as one to go on tour next summer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Gribbon is an excellent prospect - I reckon he will be the key man for the U18 side, probably get good game time for the U21 (particularly in the second half of the season) and will probably train quite a bit with the first team. Still very young so would be surprised to see him named in any match day squads. I would have marked as one to go on tour next summer though.

Delighted he has been given a 4 year deal as well.

This is always worth a watch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    Natalie sawyer looking well on SSN right now
    Dressed in Red...
    If she broke some signing now I'd be sooooooo happy

Any progress on her joining the five a side team?
    You must have some gifs by now ready for the next United signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This AS Roma 9 year old is a future United star, when we sign him for €250 million in 12 years time...:P

https://twitter.com/EPLBible/status/625600585409105920

Ah, ok. Good prospect?

Yes

RobertKK wrote: »
    This AS Roma 9 year old is a future United star, when we sign him for €250 million in 12 years time...:P

https://twitter.com/EPLBible/status/625600585409105920

he doesn't like passing the ball does he :P

Jaysus 40m for him would be ridonkulous.

I get why people think that, but once you see Benteke going for round 32m, Sterling for 50m.....transfers between PL clubs have seen a massive rate of inflation over the last few years, and its because clubs like Villa, Everton and Pool aren't desperate for cash. If you want a young, still in the first year of his contract, PL proven goal scorer, you're going to be paying big :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I get why people think that, but once you see Benteke going for round 32m, Sterling for 50m.....transfers between PL clubs have seen a massive rate of inflation over the last few years, and its because clubs like Villa, Everton and Pool aren't desperate for cash. If you want a young, still in the first year of his contract, PL proven goal scorer, you're going to be paying big :/

Also he counts as home grown isn't it? He was signed when he was 18 and spent 3 years in England before he was 21.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also he counts as home grown isn't it? He was signed when he was 18 and spent 3 years in England before he was 21.

Yeap.

• Advertisement

Good points Lord TSC... didn't think of them tbh!

Sterling is younger and overrated, and City were desperate...hence the nearly 50m price tag. I'd rate Benteke and Lukaku similar.

35m should get him. Over 40m we'd be paying over the odds and 50m would be absolute madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement