Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I don't think Van Gaal will replace Di Maria.

I'd be shocked if he didn't. As good of a season young had last year i don't have faith he'll stay fit. Memphis seems to be playing off the striker. Januzaj , lingard and perreria are young and unproven leaving just mata too.

I can see pedro at least coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't think Van Gaal will replace Di Maria.

Yeah he's not very athletic :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

magnumbud wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he didn't. As good of a season young had last year i don't have faith he'll stay fit. Memphis seems to be playing off the striker. Januzaj , lingard and perreria are young and unproven leaving just mata too.

The likes of Januzaj are unproven but if they are to prove themselves then at some point they need to be played consistently, so I wonder if Van Gaal thinks that now is the time to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The likes of Januzaj are unproven but if they are to prove themselves then at some point they need to be played consistently, so I wonder if Van Gaal thinks that now is the time to start?

You never win anything with kids :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

will he bring in anyone? He talks about wanting someone - but we all thought a deal must be close for a forward player when RVP was sold, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Forget signing a galatcio. Man U's, Liverpool and Chelsea's biggest signings ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Would all of u be happy to see no title challenge but the younger players given serious game time? I'd personally be happy to see it. They'd add serious pace and creativity. Could almost throw Memphis into the group too although he's a bit more experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gosplan wrote: »
    Forget signing a galatcio. Man U's, Liverpool and Chelsea's biggest signings ever?

as said in my post before that - I can't see us being capable of signing a current galactico level player - our failure to sign Ramos is proof enough of that for me.

We need to look for players like Hazard (Chelsea), Suarez (Liverpool) and Rooney/Ruud/Ronaldo etc (United). Players at with the potential to be world class - players at lower level clubs (Lyon, Ajax, PSV, Sporting) that are a step away. We need to be getting these players before they end up at Real or other top sides cause we can't bully those clubs into selling their players to us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

hogandrew wrote: »
    Would all of u be happy to see no title challenge but the younger players given serious game time? I'd personally be happy to see it. They'd add serious pace and creativity. Could almost throw Memphis into the group too although he's a bit more experienced

Eh no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Guardian reporting that PSG have big £28.5m for Di Maria..

if that is true, i think we can take it that he is staying, would be madness to sell him for anything less than €60m considering what we paid for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if that is true, i think we can take it that he is staying, would be madness to sell him for anything less than €60m considering what we paid for him.

would be classic United to sell for that though.

Though our stance with DDG shows Woodward isn't going to be bullied, so hopefully he will continue that stance with ADM/PSG.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

as said in my post before that - I can't see us being capable of signing a current galactico level player - our failure to sign Ramos is proof enough of that for me.

We need to look for players like Hazard (Chelsea), Suarez (Liverpool) and Rooney/Ruud/Ronaldo etc (United). Players at with the potential to be world class - players at lower level clubs (Lyon, Ajax, PSV, Sporting) that are a step away. We need to be getting these players before they end up at Real or other top sides cause we can't bully those clubs into selling their players to us.

That is definitely what United should be doing like with the Memphis signing and is more what Van Gaal had in mind than buying a Real or Bayern (etc) Player. United have always gone for that type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

hogandrew wrote: »
    That's what the cups are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jackson has been pretty bad this year. thats 40m euro. the french press have all been running with 60-65m euro.. maybe something lost in translation there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Di Maria for 28.5m
    you're having a giraffe
    what he has 3/4 years left on his contract?? We're in no rush to sell

This isn't DDG where he's less than a year left on his contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

brinty wrote: »
    Di Maria for 28.5m
    you're having a giraffe
    what he has 3/4 years left on his contract?? We're in no rush to sell

This isn't DDG where he's less than a year left on his contract

Yep, think they are probably trying to use the situation that he is in now..not turning up, to try and reduce the fee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We already signed depay schnederlain, darmian, 3 players with potential to be world class along with bastian who is already at that level.

I reckon we have made enquiries to trying to sign a huge marquee signing, either Ronaldo, bale, muller, benzema cavani, I would imagine we had contact with all of them players but just hard to do a deal with the other clubs. We will sign 2 More players IMO. One is going to be a rabbit from the hat and surprise us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just on Di Maria transfer fee, if you compare the difference in exchange rates between now and 26th of August last year, it equates to €9m euro more.

getting £45m for him now would be great business, but while the exchange rates are great for the UK clubs, its terrible for European teams buying from England.

it equates to €63m and we paid €74m for him last year - no way PSG will pay anywhere near €63m in my opinion and i dont think we will sell for much less than £45m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

just on Di Maria transfer fee, if you compare the difference in exchange rates between now and 26th of August last year, it equates to €9m euro more.

getting £45m for him now would be great business, but while the exchange rates are great for the UK clubs, its terrible for European teams buying from England.

it equates to €63m and we paid €74m for him last year - no way PSG will pay anywhere near €63m in my opinion and i dont think we will sell for much less than £45m

PSG who are paying Zlatan something like 40 odd million a year? I think they can afford a fair amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Liam O wrote: »
    PSG who are paying Zlatan something like 40 odd million a year? I think they can afford a fair amount.

40m a year? I seriously doubt that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

killwill wrote: »
    40m a year? I seriously doubt that.

Quick Google says he is on 15m a year.

Anyway, the Di Maria figure seems to be coming from Jamie Jackson who hasn't a clue about anything, and seems to be contradicting just about every other source out there. Wouldn't pay much heed at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He gets paid 15 odd million after tax. Tax in France is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Quick Google says he is on 15m a year.

Anyway, the Di Maria figure seems to be coming from Jamie Jackson who hasn't a clue about anything, and seems to be contradicting just about every other source out there. Wouldn't pay much heed at all tbh.

Think that's after tax with Ibra though.

Pretty sure I heard on football weekly that he gets 250k a week after tax which is about 12 mill a year.

But France have a massive tax rate for high earners so he probably costs them 40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭Sand

*If* that's true, I'd immediately close negotiations, and tell Di Maria he is expected to do his part this season as PSG aren't being serious.

If he starts kicking up a fuss, not showing up or just deliberately playing poorly to try force a move I'd just keep fining his wages for breach of contract until he does turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Blanc says the deal is very nearly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

if that is true he can stay as a squad player imo ridiculous offer if true..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

28 million is a joke

Di Maria should be told to get on the next plane to wherever the team are now and get on with his job or be fined weekly until he does, PSG are using his ill-discipline as a means to get him cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

28 million is a joke

Di Maria should be told to get on the next plane to wherever the team are now and get on with his job or be fined weekly until he does, PSG are using his ill-discipline as a means to get him cheap

Yep, United really need to show some balls here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

J. Marston wrote: »

Not a good sign when a keeper has a bloopers compilation.

De Gea is several years younger and has a bloopers reel quite easily linger than that. Looks like Romero is actually an upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David Busst name might not ring bell with few younger members here, but those who remember his career breaking leg injury will remember that game against United

Just seen a photo of his leg on net. Christ poor bastarrd. Puts few things into perspective. Good see him in good spirits though

Warning, its graphic if you go search for links, so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If Romero is simply a replacement for Lindegard and Valdes, fine - grand backup keeper.

If he is being signed with any intention of him being first choice the club have fecked up. Not good enough.

Possibly, but how much have you seen of his career outside of the World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

With that offer, PSG can...

exit-get-out.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

FatherTed wrote: »
    With that offer, PSG can...

exit-get-out.gif
    class lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

David Busst name might not ring bell with few younger members here, but those who remember his career breaking leg injury will remember that game against United

Just seen a photo of his leg on net. Christ poor bastarrd. Puts few things into perspective. Good see him in good spirits though

Remember seeing it on MOTD, Schmeichel struggling not to vomit, the pile of sand on the field to cover the blood afterwards, horrendous injury.

Fúck PSG, they can take our Di Maria but they will not take our International Champions Cup tomorrow morning. That bad boy is coming home to Manchester for the second year running. Where's everyone going to watch the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

One of worst injuries ever seen still remember it cleary. Irwin was devastated after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

For £28m they can throw in Zlatan, Moura and a bag of cans tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One of those times where 'horrific' is justified.

Poor lad contracted MRSA (I think) in the hospital at the time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Apparently Rojo is fined 2 weeks wages as he failed to renew his passport and now he can't leave Argentina.
    Not sure how true as he tweeted almost joining team for preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

great to see he is still involved with the club. An injury like that could make you very bitter and twisted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I remember see the zoomed in pictures in the paper and going out on the road afterwards and being afraid to kick the ball against the wall....it was so shocking at the time. I've seen those links floating around the web and I aint gonna open them....I'm a big baby with stuff like that!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I recall Schmeichel being quiet disturbed by it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

py2006 wrote: »
    I recall Schmeichel being quiet disturbed by it at the time.

Yeah remember seeing an interview a few years ago where he said he had to go see a therapist afterwards he was so traumatized by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ok so recently it was discussed how our defence should do better this year with the arrival of two quality CMs and a new RB, along with Shaw being on his new individual training program.

Hopefully we do concede less, but we also need to start scoring a lot more. I've collected some goals scoring and conceding stats for the last 6 seasons and it is interesting enough. There is a big change from Fergies last 4 seasons in charge compared to the last 2 seasons we have had, particularly in goals being scored.

Let's compare it with the other teams around us.

2009-2013
    Team Average Scored Average Conceded Average Difference
    Arsenal 75,25 42,50 32,75
    Chelsea 78,00 37,50 40,50
    Liverpool 59,75 37,75 22,00
    Man City 72,75 38,00 34,75
    Man United 84,75 35,25 49,50

2013-2015
    Arsenal 69,50 38,50 31,00
    Chelsea 72,00 29,50 42,50
    Liverpool 76,50 49,00 27,50
    Man City 92,50 37,50 55,00
    Man United 63,00 40,00 23,00

In goals scored we went from averaging the most goals scored (for Fergies last four) to the worst per a season (for the last two). (Compared to rivals)

Now our conceding average has been poor in comparison but last year it went from 43 to 37 showing some signs of improvement. Our goals scored however went down from 64 to 62, not a big change but no improvement.

I know scoring more goals doesn't guarantee a great finish, you could lose 4 games and then score 10 in the game after etc. But I do feel we should be more concerned about lack of goals than the defence at the moment.

We need to be scoring more to compete for the title. A big area to that is interesting is the goal difference.

We see Chelsea and Arsenal maintaining their goal difference while Man City and Liverpool have increased theres (Liverpools Champions League season main reason for this). Ours however has more than halved, and has been by far the worst of the last two seasons compared to our rivals.

Now some people might think it's silly nonsense, over thinking it, or even that there are so many permutations for a good season that this stat doesn't tell it all and isn't useful. Fair enough.

I just find stats interesting and this one a lot. Tells me that dispite how much we like to throw criticism at our defence and pin the blame there for our recent drop out of title contenders, maybe we should be looking more at our lack of threat in front of goal. Obviously we want a good balance to have a good season.

My expectations or wants for the season is to concede less than 37, and to score 70+, I know it is a simple, sort of tunnel vision way of looking at it, but I do feel those expectations would see us challenging for the title, hopefully players step up to fill the void of lack of goalscorers in our team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ok so recently it was discussed how our defence should do better this year with the arrival of two quality CMs and a new RB, along with Shaw being on his new individual training program.

Hopefully we do concede less, but we also need to start scoring a lot more. I've collected some goals scoring and conceding stats for the last 6 seasons and it is interesting enough. There is a big change from Fergies last 4 seasons in charge compared to the last 2 seasons we have had, particularly in goals being scored.

Let's compare it with the other teams around us.

2009-2013
    Arsenal 75,25 42,50 32,75
    Chelsea 78,00 37,50 40,50
    Liverpool 59,75 37,75 22,00
    Man City 72,75 38,00 34,75
    Man United 84,75 35,25 49,50

2013-2015
    Arsenal 69,50 38,50 31,00
    Chelsea 72,00 29,50 42,50
    Liverpool 76,50 49,00 27,50
    Man City 92,50 37,50 55,00
    Man United 63,00 40,00 23,00

In goals scored we went from averaging the most goals scored (for Fergies last four) to the worst per a season (for the last two). (Compared to rivals)

Now our conceding average has been poor in comparison but last year it went from 43 to 37 showing some signs of improvement. Our goals scored however went down from 64 to 62, not a big change but no improvement.

I know scoring more goals doesn't guarantee a great finish, you could lose 4 games and then score 10 in the game after etc. But I do feel we should be more concerned about lack of goals than the defence at the moment.

We need to be scoring more to compete for the title. A big area to that is interesting is the goal difference.

We see Chelsea and Arsenal maintaining their goal difference while Man City and Liverpool have increased theres (Liverpools Champions League season main reason for this). Ours however has more than halved, and has been by far the worst of the last two seasons compared to our rivals.

Now some people might think it's silly nonsense, over thinking it, or even that there are some many permutations for a good season that this stat doesn't tell it all and isn't useful. Fair enough.

I just find stats interesting and this one a lot. Tells me that dispite how much we like to throw criticism at our defence and pin the blame there for our recent drop out of title contenders, maybe we should be looking more at our lack of threat in front of goal. Obviously we want a good balance to have a good season.

My expectations or wants for the season is to concede less than 37, and to score 70+, I know it is a simple, sort of tunnel vision way of looking at it, but I do feel those expectations would see us challenging for the title, hopefully players step up to fill the void of lack of goalscorers in our team!

Boring...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Last season we scored just 62, would hope we could get close to 80 goals at least next season, it would make a world of difference.
    I think the midfield will transform the team both for defense and attack, our defense was not bad last season in terms of goals conceded at 37, just 5 more than the best which was Chelsea.
    We scored 11 goals less than Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

secman wrote: »

....ok....:(

allergic-to-jerks.gif

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Yet you quoted the entire thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Bad morning? Superb post it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Romelu Lukaku linked with United this morn in the Indo....... Not so sure about that guy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement