Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

brinty wrote: »
    Darmian
    Otamendi
    Schniederlin
    Would that keep people happy

I'd be happy enough with those 3 signings but still expect another 2 players to be signed depending on outgoings.. i.e. striker if chico and RVP go, Gk if De Gea goes
    It would be the minimum for an acceptable summer - a CB, a RB and a CM. Strengthening the weakest parts of the first 11. I would personally still think another CM required (as I don't rate Fellaini high enough for that first choice roll and would see Schneiderlin as a Carrick replacement, though I can see the two being able to play together also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just after signing Jones and Smalling up to new contracts, Rojo is still here (and no talk of him being sold). A couple of prospects in the youth sides that are well liked at the club. I just can't see us having 5 senior centre backs plus the younger lads.

I can totally see that mate, it gives smalling and jones plenty of time to continue learning and we get two world class center backs to help them. Ramos would guarantee short term shirt sales for addidas and otamendi would give you a few more years that ramos wont be able give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It would be the minimum for an acceptable summer - a CB, a RB and a CM. Strengthening the weakest parts of the first 11. I would personally still think another CM required (as I don't rate Fellaini high enough for that first choice roll and would see Schneiderlin as a Carrick replacement, though I can see the two being able to play together also.

Thanks Mitch at least i'm not the only one thinking that's the minimum we need
    I'd like another CB and CM and a striker. Obviously we'll need a GK if DDG goes (i'm still optimistic that he'll stay, call me crazy)

KH25 wrote: »
    After his injury I can't see Chico going.

I can't see a collarbone injury that he is due back from early August having any impact on being able to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

I can't see a collarbone injury that he is due back from early August having any impact on being able to sell him.

I didn't realise he was due back so early. I thought I had seen September mentioned.

KH25 wrote: »
    I didn't realise he was due back so early. I thought I had seen September mentioned.
    Even if it was September, a collar bone injury wouldn't prevent a sale - or at least it should not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

jayo26 wrote: »
    I can totally see that mate, it gives smalling and jones plenty of time to continue learning and we get two world class center backs to help them. Ramos would guarantee short term shirt sales for addidas and otamendi would give you a few more years that ramos wont be able give.

smalling at 25 would want to be making his mark as first choice this year imo, ramos could be in the team for 3-4 years minimum not really short term and also brings far more experience at winning things than otamendi. hes won everything he could have won to this point in his career and been first choice in both madrid and for spain for about a decade. otamendi sure would give you maybe 2 or so more years but we have the money that we can afford to look for a replacement a year or 2 earlier. we've also had terrible luck with argentine players sticking around for more than 2 seasons :pac:

i'm not against otamendi just saying that ramos being 2 years older really shouldnt have anything to do with picking him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think it will be Ramos or Otamendi I can't see both being signed. I would be happy with either signed ideally get Otamendi and keep DDG .
    Darmian
    Otamendi
    Schneiderlan
    Depay
    That would be a good summer,probably need another CM but I would think that's unlikely.I can see Carrick and Schneiderlan playing together plenty this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    Darmian
    Otamendi
    Schniederlin
    Would that keep people happy

I'd be happy enough with those 3 signings but still expect another 2 players to be signed depending on outgoings.. i.e. striker if chico and RVP go, Gk if De Gea goes

Depends, if RVP goes a striker of some sort will be required. When De Gea goes a GK will be required.

magnumbud wrote: »
    smalling at 25 would want to be making his mark as first choice this year imo, ramos could be in the team for 3-4 years minimum not really short term and also brings far more experience at winning things than otamendi. hes won everything he could have won to this point in his career and been first choice in both madrid and for spain for about a decade. otamendi sure would give you maybe 2 or so more years but we have the money that we can afford to look for a replacement a year or 2 earlier. we've also had terrible luck with argentine players sticking around for more than 2 seasons :pac:

i'm not against otamendi just saying that ramos being 2 years older really shouldnt have anything to do with picking him

Yeh agree with you on smalling to an extent but i think apart from the odd exception most center backs dont hit their peek until they are 27 in my opinion it was when we got best years out of vidic if you look at otamendi he has had his best season this year so id be giving smalling another year or so after this before id say this is the level he is at. If jones can get over his injuries he will get on track too ive no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can totally see that mate, it gives smalling and jones plenty of time to continue learning and we get two world class center backs to help them.

Jones and Smalling are 23 and 25 respectively, forget learning, they are at an age where they need to either step up or step out. If Smalling has to sit behind two world class defenders for the next 3 seasons then he will just end up the next Jonny Evans, in his late twenties and never first choice.

I can see replacing the pair of them due to their injury records, but the idea of them continuing to "learn" just doesn't work. They aren't kids anymore, they have international caps and well over 100 United appearances each, they need to either play now or accept that they will never be anything but squad players.

Depends, if RVP goes a striker of some sort will be required. When De Gea goes a GK will be required.

i think regardless of rvp staying we should go get another striker. rvp hasn't been the same since fergie left. i dont think rvp, rooney and wilson or even the little pea is good enough going by the form of the last 2 seasons for all of them. we need someone whose going to threaten taking rooneys place in the team which may bring the best out of him. combined rvp rooney and hernandez have 64 league goals over the past 2 seasons which is fairly pitful if you ask me for a team of united caliber i'd be expecting 3 strikers to be getting near that a season(i know hernandez wasnt in our team last season but still). i'd be expecting one player to be getting 20+ aiming for mid 20s and any backup to be getting 10- 15

Yeh agree with you on smalling to an extent but i think apart from the odd exception most center backs dont hit their peek until they are 27

They might hit their peak at 27, but only if they have been playing regularly up to that point. If Vidic had been sitting 3rd/4th choice behind other defenders throughout his twenties he wouldn't have been near the same player at 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ramos-- Smalling--Otamendi for when we play with a back three.
    I think LVG will want to mix it up formation wise, rather than being predictable.

Yeh agree with you on smalling to an extent but i think apart from the odd exception most center backs dont hit their peek until they are 27 in my opinion it was when we got best years out of vidic if you look at otamendi he has had his best season this year so id be giving smalling another year or so after this before id say this is the level he is at. If jones can get over his injuries he will get on track too ive no doubt.

ah i thought you were suggesting giving 2 or 3 more years to smalling for him to develop. i'm also not saying he cant develop any further but he should be making one of the 2 spots his own given the options we have and his age as it stands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Jones and Smalling are 23 and 25 respectively, forget learning, they are at an age where they need to either step up or step out. If Smalling has to sit behind two world class defenders for the next 3 seasons then he will just end up the next Jonny Evans, in his late twenties and never first choice.

I can see replacing the pair of them due to their injury records, but the idea of them continuing to "learn" just doesn't work. They aren't kids anymore, they have international caps and well over 100 United appearances each, they need to either play now or accept that they will never be anything but squad players.

Well I honestly think both showed good signs of improvement over the last year. For me I see most CBs hitting their peak at around 26-27, depends on player though. Sitting on the bench thought won't aid this only playing will.

I fully think Jones inparticular has the ability and if he had an injury free season I would expect him to shock a lot and snatch a permanent starting role. He has the talent and heart but his downfall is with the heart he has he sometimes makes decisions that can cause an injury to himself by going all. A no fear sort of player. I think though VG likes this kind of defender and will be looking to work with him a lot.

Maybe this is me being blinded again by me liking Jones, but I'm expecting him to quiet a lot of critics this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

woodward must be checking out my posts. I said about a month ago we should move for Darmian and he would be available if he wanted the move :)

We will have squad rotation before a big game plus injuries, there would be enough games for everyone.

bangkok wrote: »
    woodward must be checking out my posts. I said about a month ago we should move for Darmian and he would be available if he wanted the move :)

maybe you suggest we buy a certain multiple time world player of the year Argentine forward now

you and futureguy can combine powers :D

• Advertisement

Let's hope he hasn't been reading all the posts here or his self esteem might take a hit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

c'mon Bang
    this is not like you... surely its when you had dinner with Ed a month ago in his private suite in OT???

RobertKK wrote: »
    We will have squad rotation before a big game plus injuries, there would be enough games for everyone.

I think history shows that when it comes to defenders rotation should be kept to a minimum. The best defences have always had settled partnerships, it does us no good at all to recreate an injury crisis by swapping centre backs in and out at will.

Besides, we come back to the same point. Sure there will be plenty of games where a player will be missing and we will want Jones or Smalling to step into the side. But that situation is no good for Jones and Smalling, they will never fulfill their potential hanging around the fringes like that. Playing that role gets you a Wes Brown or Jonny Evans, not a Vidic or Ferdinand.

I'm not saying the club doesn't need back up defenders, of course we do. But what is the long term future for Jones and Smalling? If we want them to be first choice players for us then now is the time to put our faith in them. If we sign two senior defenders ahead of them this summer then we might as well accept that they are never going to be top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

i think regardless of rvp staying we should go get another striker. rvp hasn't been the same since fergie left. i dont think rvp, rooney and wilson or even the little pea is good enough going by the form of the last 2 seasons for all of them. we need someone whose going to threaten taking rooneys place in the team which may bring the best out of him. combined rvp rooney and hernandez have 64 league goals over the past 2 seasons which is fairly pitful if you ask me for a team of united caliber i'd be expecting 3 strikers to be getting near that a season(i know hernandez wasnt in our team last season but still). i'd be expecting one player to be getting 20+ aiming for mid 20s and any backup to be getting 10- 15

Looking at how many the three combined have scored over the last two seasons is a terrible way of judging their quality. Chico got shag all minutes under Moyes and none under Van Gaal. Rooney barely played as a striker last season and as a 10 for the season before. Van Persie only played last season in Van Gaal's hopeless experiment that was never going to work. If you want useful information you can't use such blunt analysis of their performances.

RVP is still better than any of the strikers that are being suggested for United to buy.

maybe you suggest we buy a certain multiple time world player of the year Argentine forward now

you and futureguy can combine powers :D

Mens_By_The_Power_Of_Grayskull_He_Man_T_Shirt_from_Fame_and_Fortune_print_500-810-1140.jpg

Pro. F wrote: »
    Looking at how many the three combined have scored over the last two seasons is a terrible way of judging their quality. Chico got shag all minutes under Moyes and none under Van Gaal. Rooney barely played as a striker last season and as a 10 for the season before. Van Persie only played last season in Van Gaal's hopeless experiment that was never going to work. If you want useful information you can't use such blunt analysis of their performances.

RVP is still better than any of the strikers that are being suggested for United to buy.

rooney is fine but hernandez and rvp have been poor the last 2 seasons. rvp in the form he was in when he arrived could have scored in any position played in last season. hes 32 in about a month and has begun picking up niggly injuries again. we have to start planning on and i dont have faith he'll get anywhere near 20 goals if we keep him and the fact that LvG who has a great relationship with him is seemingly allowing him to be sold says a lot. im not saying he has to go i'd be happy if he stayed but we are not gonna challenge for the title or progress far in the cl with the striking options we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Sky Sports reporting their sources in Sky Italy saying United agreed a deal for Darmian

Sky Sports reporting their sources in Sky Italy saying United agreed a deal for Darmian

Can't wait to see him and Hummels leading our new look defence...

I will not get my hopes up.

spn14_zpsc541d3c4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,667 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

please god let it be true so I dont have to see Valencia starting anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I see what you're saying, but I think if Rooney is front and center he'll get 20+ and if RVP is minded he'd an excellent backup. I'll never say no to a new fancy striker, but I don't view it as essential as long as other key areas are strengthened and those two are on the books.

Unless 4-4-2 is coming back, in which case:

nvrp8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    please god let it be true so I dont have to see Valencia starting anytime soon

Just frees Valencia up to retake his favoured position on the right wing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

First reaction is Yay!!!

then I remember the Gun Dogs episode.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

rooney is fine but hernandez and rvp have been poor the last 2 seasons. rvp in the form he was in when he arrived could have scored in any position played in last season. hes 32 in about a month and has begun picking up niggly injuries again. we have to start planning on and i dont have faith he'll get anywhere near 20 goals if we keep him and the fact that LvG who has a great relationship with him is seemingly allowing him to be sold says a lot. im not saying he has to go i'd be happy if he stayed but we are not gonna challenge for the title or progress far in the cl with the striking options we have.

Hernandez hasn't played the last two seasons, we have no idea whether he's been good, bad or indifferent. But I don't think he's suited to playing the lone CF that Van Gaal had Rooney playing towards the end of the season, and he probably wants guaranteed starts at this stage, so probably best if he moves on.

RVP had a good scoring record under Moyes, even though the team had zero creativity. With regards to injuries, he was kept out with one injury last season. Not niggly injuries, one injury.

And no, RVP would not have scored from any position with his 12/13 form, that's not how football works. If you put a striker in a dysfunctional system they won't score as much.

He probably wouldn't get 20 goals playing as a back-up to Rooney if he stays, but that is not important. This obsession with strikers needing to get 20 goals a season is a fiction.

And the fact that he's 32 is not an issue either. He hasn't shown any physical regression and his game was never particularly based on athleticism anyway, so he's well set up to play as a second choice behind Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I see what you're saying, but I think if Rooney is front and center he'll get 20+ and if RVP is minded he'd an excellent backup. I'll never say no to a new fancy striker, but I don't view it as essential as long as other key areas are strengthened and those two are on the books.

Unless 4-4-2 is coming back, in which case:

nvrp8.jpg

3-5-2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Pro. F wrote: »
    Hernandez hasn't played the last two seasons, you have no idea whether he's been good, bad or indifferent.

RVP had a good scoring record under Moyes, even though the team had zero creativity. With regards to injuries, he was kept out with one injury last season. Not niggly injuries, one injury.

And no, RVP would not have scored from any position with his 12/13 form, that's not how football works. If you put a striker in a dysfunctional system they won't score as much.

He probably wouldn't get 20 goals playing as a back-up to Rooney if he stays, but that is not important. This obsession with strikers needing to get 20 goals a season is a fiction.

And the fact that he's 32 is not an issue either. He hasn't shown any physical regression and his game was never particularly based on athleticism anyway, so he's well set up to play as a second choice behind Rooney.

Agree completely...

Always felt RVP will mature well as a player, similar to Bergkamp. His game was never reliant on pace or power. He's always been about technique and finishing and those attributes aren't going to go anywhere in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its going be good week.

Let good times roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

That article is pure clickbait.

He told lvg he wants to leave? Zero quotes from either side from a private conversation between 2 people.

Speculating on speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

adox wrote: »
    First reaction is Yay!!!

then I remember the Gun Dogs episode.:(

We don't actually know how close we were to signing him.

Dortmund came out and said he was leaving and then he signs a new contract.

Too easy to say that just because it didn't happen that it wasnt true.

Wouldn't be too excited about a new rb, I know we need one but I think we need schneiderlin more importantly id love to see that deal over the line asap.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/618359614451675136

How one use to avoid the press at Carrington, given it tells one where to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I suspect that Woodward & LvG are just following the plan. Madrid mess us around regarding De Gea & Ramos so we sign Otemendi & don't let De Gea go unless they pay our price.

There is a faint chance that if De Gea stays, gets over the initial embarrassment, gets a good reception from the fans & Madrid continues to be a minefield, he might just rethink leaving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Is this like when Sky Sports said we'd have Schneiderlin by the weekend a week ago? Until its on the official website its hard to believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BL_Latest Transfers ‏@BL_LatestEN 1m1 minute ago

SPORT1 | ManUnited offers €82m for Thomas #Müller. There were talks between Bayern CEO #Rummenigge and executive vice-chairman Ed #Woodward.

Heard elsewhere that Denis Irwin was on the radio saying it was a done deal. I love it, but I can't see it happening.

Discodog wrote: »
    I suspect that Woodward & LvG are just following the plan. Madrid mess us around regarding De Gea & Ramos so we sign Otemendi & don't let De Gea go unless they pay our price.

There is a faint chance that if De Gea stays, gets over the initial embarrassment, gets a good reception from the fans & Madrid continues to be a minefield, he might just rethink leaving :)

We need to sign Edurne, she can present the Spanish version of MUTV that will be specially launched to keep De Gea...

SPORT1 | ManUnited offers €82m for Thomas #Müller. There were talks between Bayern CEO #Rummenigge and executive vice-chairman Ed #Woodward.

Heard elsewhere that Denis Irwin was on the radio saying it was a done deal. I love it, but I can't see it happening.

82m for muller?! that would be crazy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The Italian Denis Irwin. Looks like Darmian has good versatility. Plays right and left back.

Hope he is good. I'll believe it's a done deal when United announce it.

There are 3 other players now heavily linked - Ramos, Otamendi, Schneiderlin. If we end up with them and only them then we are laughing. If any player is sold then we might need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

On the BBC gossip page this morning, there was some story that came (or rather was translated) from Das Bild - that Bayern were willing to offer Muller, Robben and cash for Angel di Maria!

thats euro not pound. euro is worth nothing right now :pac:

• Advertisement

I do feel LVG will want to do everything possible to make this deal possible. He wanted him last summer, Rumoured last January as wanting him.
    I wonder if we offer them a load of cash for Muller, then they offer us a load of cash for Di Maria.
    Bayern really need a player like Di Maria given the injury records of Ribery and Robben.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement