Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

David Busst name might not ring bell with few younger members here, but those who remember his career breaking leg injury will remember that game against United

Just seen a photo of his leg on net. Christ poor bastarrd. Puts few things into perspective. Good see him in good spirits though

Warning, its graphic if you go search for links, so be warned.

Remember seeing Schmeichel wince and turn away with his hands over his eyes. Poor lad, it was horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lukaku was pushed around by Paddy McNair last season

Everton 3-0 United. McNair was absolutely brutal, as were the vast majority of our team.

United 2-1 Everton. Lukaku was fairly isolated and had at least one very good chance that I can remember off the top of my head. McNair wasn't spectacularly good against him.

To say Lukaku was pushed around by McNair in either game is way, way off the mark imho. I thought the game at Goodison Park was one of McNair's worst games (along with Southampton away where he was hauled off because he looked like a liability).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Romelu Lukaku linked with United this morn in the Indo....... Not so sure about that guy.

i enjoy watching him play. didnt have the best season last year (nor did most of the everton team so probably didnt have the best service) but the 2 previous years he was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There was pretty substantial circumstances why Lukaku wasn't in blistering form last year.

He's rarely had a summer break, was at the WC with a niggly injury, moved to Everton and then got run into the ground, as Martinez had no backup or support for him to offer him respite. He has had a lot of gametime and little rest for a lad his age.

He was given an extended break this summer and has looked sharp in pre-season, would expect another impressive season from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

magnumbud wrote: »
    i enjoy watching him play. didnt have the best season last year (nor did most of the everton team so probably didnt have the best service) but the 2 previous years he was excellent.

Yeah I like him as well , good finisher , strong , good touch , pacey enough and I've seen him play more than one lovely cutting pass through defences as well. I think LVG would like him a lot. If he was happy to play 2nd striker for a season or two to Rooney maybe get 20 games a season or so with a few to becoming numero uno when Rooney is on the wane or gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

David Busst name might not ring bell with few younger members here, but those who remember his career breaking leg injury will remember that game against United

Just seen a photo of his leg on net. Christ poor bastarrd. Puts few things into perspective. Good see him in good spirits though

Remember it well
    I've had a phobia about my knees ever since
    Didn't one of our players get sick behind the goals or something too
    The screams when it happened will live long in the memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I remember that game,you knew it was bad just by Schmeichel's reaction alone.It goes to show that in an instant,a career can be ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

secman wrote: »
    Boring...................

Signed in just so I could thank his post and tell everyone how much I agree with it. The defending was actually very good in the 2nd half of last season and that is something I'd give LVG credit for. However, just as it was in the WC latter stages, the defensive solidity is at the cost of attacking proficiency. This is why I want a dribbler who can hold up the ball in forward positions signed. Depay is a good step if he'll be through the middle but an all out striker with that talent would be good. Wilson would be the closest but is not ready yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

magnumbud wrote: »

Fair enough, can't see him cutting the mustard at OT though.

Looks like Otamendi isn't joining us and all the reports of him coming to OT are off the mark.
    With him,Hummels and increasingly likely Ramos off the table then who's the CB we are after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

brinty wrote: »
    Remember it well
    I've had a phobia about my knees ever since
    Didn't one of our players get sick behind the goals or something too
    The screams when it happened will live long in the memory

Im pretty sure Schmeichel got sick on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

More stories of Pedro linked with us, if ADM does go (I don't want him to but looks as good as done) then surely we'll buy Pedro.

Can't believe his release clause is £22m considering he has a contract until something like 2019 and he only just turned 28. Not a big fan of him but he is undeniably talented and would help the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    I remember that game,you knew it was bad just by Schmeichel's reaction alone.It goes to show that in an instant,a career can be ended.

I've been on a pitch a few times when lads have broken legs, knee cap etc... I can tell you from personal experience the noise alone of the break is enough to turn your stomach. wouldn't wish it on any player

Adamocovic wrote: »
    More stories of Pedro linked with us, if ADM does go (I don't want him to but looks as good as done) then surely we'll buy Pedro.

Can't believe his release clause is £22m considering he has a contract until something like 2019 and he only just turned 28. Not a big fan of him but he is undeniably talented and would help the team.

has to do with the number of games he plays. if he plays over a certain amount this season then his buyout goes back up to the insane 100m +
    Fair enough, can't see him cutting the mustard at OT though.

i think hes got a bit to learn but would be perfect for united (at a fair price which i doubt we would get) in that he spends the next year or 2 learning with rooney as the main striker and he takes over in a few years

https://twitter.com/TheSunFootball/status/625949281619476480

£52 million would be good business,IIRC the price we paid included add-ons and bonuses which surely never kicked in so we wouldn't be losing any money.

bangkok wrote: »
    I've been on a pitch a few times when lads have broken legs, knee cap etc... I can tell you from personal experience the noise alone of the break is enough to turn your stomach. wouldn't wish it on any player

Witnessed the same,one guy went into a 50/50 stood up and you could hear the crack as his leg snapped.Horrible sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looks like Otamendi isn't joining us and all the reports of him coming to OT are off the mark.
    With him,Hummels and increasingly likely Ramos off the table then who's the CB we are after?

Maybe Aymeric Laporte, joined Adidas this year, signed a new contract with a buyout clause of €50 million.

Witnessed the same,one guy went into a 50/50 stood up and you could hear the crack as his leg snapped.Horrible sound.

Got a fracture under my knee in a game before from a tackle (at the time didn't know it was a fracture) and tried to play on, few minutes later I went to put some weight on it and could feel it break! Will never forget the sound and feeling! Just got a bit of a shiver up my back thinking about it.

Not nearly as bad as other injuries, but still bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Philip Buckingham ‏@PJBuckingham 6m6 minutes ago
    Steve Bruce says it's an £8m fee with agreed with West Brom for James Chester. Not bad given Nigel Pearson signed him for £300k.

Not a bad price for ManUtd academy graduate. He was signed by Hull for just 300K.

• Advertisement

Wonder will ADM be gone before the match against PSG, that would make things interesting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe Aymeric Laporte, joined Adidas this year, signed a new contract with a buyout clause of €50 million.

Lads, who a player has a kit deal with has absolutely nothing to do with who he plays for.
    Ronaldo is a Nike player wearing Adidas Real kit and Messi is an Adidas player wearing Nike Barcelona kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

Adamocovic wrote: »
    ....ok....:(

allergic-to-jerks.gif

:pac:

Okay I'll lie so.... I found your data and stats to be incredibly stimulating. .. a warm feeling just incredible. .....
    was just saying. ... boring and that's the plain truth... didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Just love footy and dont love stats .... just a little gets me by...
    Roll on the new season...my 58th season 😨

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Philip Buckingham ‏@PJBuckingham 6m6 minutes ago

Not a bad price for ManUtd academy graduate. He was signed by Hull for just 300K.

they are supposed to be getting 7m for brady too with only a year left on his deal another united academy boy

Okay I'll lie so.... I found your data and stats to be incredibly stimulating. .. a warm feeling just incredible. .....
    was just saying. ... boring and that's the plain truth... didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Just love footy and dont love stats .... just a little gets me by...

MPFi2xN.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bangkok wrote: »

Lad I played with was playing in a semi-final. Two lads chased him as he took the ball out and when they tried to tackle him, one fell and they all went down. Looked innocuous but didn't look like anything had happened.

Roars from the ground.

Both bones broken in the lad's leg, out through the skin and the ankle dislocated.

Poor lad couldn't sleep cos every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was that first sight of his leg in bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Some top quality gif use over the last few pages. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lads, who a player has a kit deal with has absolutely nothing to do with who he plays for.
    Ronaldo is a Nike player wearing Adidas Real kit and Messi is an Adidas player wearing Nike Barcelona kit.

Oh I know that, the thing is we were linked with him last January, and Athletic Bilbao made sure to make him more expensive then.
    I know the kit deal means nothing, but just added it in, I don't think it makes or breaks a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ffs lads I've a match tonight... all this talk of broken legs

noel-4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Wonder who they will turn to if not Otamendi. I would be extremely uncomfortable going into the season without another CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LVG apparently is happy with CB options and no longer looking for a new CB, now that Ramos looks like a dead deal...

horrible if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We probably won't sign a CB now. Otamendi cost is far too much so the club has backed off and Ramos was only using the club to gain another contract.

Ideally I'd have liked another center half but at least if we don't then we've improved the positions around the area like RB and CM that should at least give us a bit more protection than last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We probably won't sign a CB now. Otamendi cost is far too much so the club has backed off and Ramos was only using the club to gain another contract.

Ideally I'd have liked another center half but at least if we don't then we've improved the positions around the area like RB and CM that should at least give us a bit more protection than last year.

Jones and smelling if they could just stay fit are plenty good enough for this season. We've much more protection now and shouldn't be playing stupid 3 at the back tactics like we did at the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LVG apparently is happy with CB options and no longer looking for a new CB, now that Ramos looks like a dead deal...

horrible if true.

Where'd you see this homer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

here is the source -
    Mike Keegan ‏@MikeKeegan_DM 25m25 minutes ago
    #mufc are not expected to look elsewhere for a centre-half should Ramos stay at Real. LvG happy with options.
    Mike Keegan ‏@MikeKeegan_DM 22m22 minutes ago
    #mufc interest in Ramos was because a) he's world class and b) the DdG situation, not because LvG felt pressing need for another centre half
    Mike Keegan ‏@MikeKeegan_DM 30s31 seconds ago
    Also - #mufc will not cash in on David de Gea if Ramos signs new Real deal.

i read on redissue last week how LVGs achilles heal is his view on CBs, just like Fergie had a problem with midfielders. the current options are not good enough, its baffling if we dont get reinforcements there, especially if we end up selling Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Smalling and Jones are very very good young players who still have a lot to learn but our record when they play together is excellent. McNair looks a fantastic prospect and Rojo is decent cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Jayop wrote: »
    Smalling and Jones are very very good young players who still have a lot to learn but our record when they play together is excellent. McNair looks a fantastic prospect and Rojo is decent cover.

How young do you think smalling actually is??

Mcnair will never be good enough

Our defence is very poor compared to chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

:rolleyes:

He's only played about 15-20 games as a centre half in his career to date. But don't let that stop you making mindless predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think with a better midfield and right back you will see a marked improvement from the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Chelsea first 4 is excellent no doubt after that they are light

Ivanovic Terry Cahill Azpelicueta

???? zouma Ake ????

An injury to Ivanovic and another defender and Chelsea are in serious trouble at the back, but I think they will sign Stones

Our back 4 is not bad but we have much more options

Valencia Smalling Jones Shaw

Darmian McNair Evans Rojo

Rafael Blackett ???? Blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's a good bit easier to play as a centre back in a team that constantly parks the bus in big games. Also having Matic in front of you helps a lot.

• Advertisement

If Gary Cahill can be made to look a good centre back and be rated as such with a good system around him then so can Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo and whoever else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

After last season I would have a little more faith in Smalling continuing to improve, but Jones...another story altogether. I would worry if we didn't sign a CB.

Ha you didn't hurt my feelings I was only taking the piss.

Some people don't like stats, fair enough.

But when it comes to football I love me some stats

tumblr_lm70nlPWp71qb7645o1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Guys is the PSG game tonight/early Wednesday morning or is it tomorrow night??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Jayop wrote:
    Jones and smelling if they could just stay fit are plenty good enough for this season.

That Mike Smelling fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Guys is the PSG game tonight/early Wednesday morning or is it tomorrow night??

Tonight/ 2am... Tomorrow morning if you want to be pedantic!

EDIT

Actually im worng there! Wednesday night 2am/ thursday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OR if you just want to be correct, and understand how time works :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Incorrect. It's Thursday morning.

TheDoc wrote: »
    OR if you just want to be correct, and understand how time works :)

I was just dumbing it down for others !!!

• Advertisement

Incorrect. It's Thursday morning.

Edited my post already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement