Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

De Gea, Romero, Valdes, Lindegaard, Johnstone. 5 keepers at the club! Weird situation.
    zerks wrote: »

Arsenal, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Rojos passport might have had 6 or 7 months on it but he could still be denied access to the US because of that. Not the biggest oversight in the world if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

J. Marston wrote: »
    De Gea, Romero, Valdes, Lindegaard, Johnstone. 5 keepers at the club! Weird situation.

Arsenal, I'd say.

Valdes is as good as gone so it's 4. Lindegaard is also looking for a move I believe so we'll have 3 for 2 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Agreed.
    Smalling is very poor on the ball from both a technical and tactical aspect.

A little harsh with the "very" poor. He's on a par with Evans but with Evans there's always a delay, that indecisiveness, that panicy moment. I'm not his biggest fan but Smalling is the better defender imo.

I think what we can all agree on is that we need another CB. Hopefully that will knock Evans to the bottom the pile or out the door :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmp0NHonLuk

Chris Smalling. From 3 mins on all his ball skills, not too shabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

bangkok wrote: »

Few of my mates have a few decent youtube videos as well, maybe they should send them in and see if Man U are interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Mongo wrote: »
    What does everyone reckon Herrera's role will be this year? For me he deserves to be starting but the way LVG has been lining out the team I'm not sure if there's space for him with the two Sch's playing and Depay ahead of them?

For me, the ideal line up would be a 433 with m midfield 3 of Swein or Carrick with Sneiderlin and Herrera.

then Mata right wing, Depay left wing and Rooney striker.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Few of my mates have a few decent youtube videos as well, maybe they should send them in and see if Man U are interested ;)

are your mates playing against Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea and Liverpool? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Jayop wrote: »
    I agree with you about taking the starting 11 Vs Barca too literally. For example Blind starting with Smalling playing second half was probably just so there was at least one recognised CB at all times Vs Barca. Same with Herrera in the middle.

If we keep the same squad as we have now and everyone is available I think we'll go for...
    DDG
    Darmian - Jones - Smalling - Shaw
    Carrick - Morgan
    Herrera
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

That team needs about 100% more Bastian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It isn't and he isn't. He's not as awful as people make him out to be.

But that video could have been condensed to cut out all the waving pointing and the ball hitting him and been more convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Why are people putting Darmian as RB on their lineups?

It's not that I don't agree, but didn't LVG say Valencia would be first choice right back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

While Evans may be the better passer of the two(especially those long diagonal balls which he excels at) I think Smalling is actually better at carrying the ball out of defence, and if needs be, going past players, and playing it simple.

Hes a better defender than Evans though, which is more important.

Either way, I agree we need another CB and a leader, as someone else mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    For me, the ideal line up would be a 433 with m midfield 3 of Swein or Carrick with Sneiderlin and Herrera.

I concur. If needs be you can drop one of the deeper midfielders and put Mata in at no.10 and throw on another attacking player.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That team needs about 100% more Bastian.

That wa smy line up for the Spurs game. I think it's generally going to be a pick between him and Carrick in most games for one spot so I reckon given the importance of this game he'll opt for Carrick.

Otherwise I'd agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

With a better central midfield we'll be better protected against teams coming through the middle. Not much difference in goals conceded between ourselves and Chelsea although that's a poor enough argument. I will say though that the season before Mourinho came that JT was on the bench quite a bit. The work that Matic did in front of him last season made JT look like Maldini at times. I'd be ok with defenders as is if we can't find obvious improvements but I do think we need more goal threat up front to help Rooney.

My 2 cents for what it's worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fenix wrote: »

It's not that I don't agree, but didn't LVG say Valencia would be first choice right back?

He was in the eleven that started v Barcelona... That apparently will more or less start v spurs.

Unless Valencia was unfit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I've never rated Evans very highly - he was always below first team quality for me - but it's laughable how many people there are completely writing him off now compared to what was going on up to the start of last season. Where were all of you before LVG came on the scene? Were ye too shy to express your opinion on Evans when he was playing regularly? Or did he suddenly become a completely different quality of player when Van Gaal came in and knocked him down the pecking order?

Yes a fit Bastian Schweinsteiger is the first name on that team sheet without a doubt. The man is world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Valdes is as good as gone so it's 4. Lindegaard is also looking for a move I believe so we'll have 3 for 2 teams.

Well.........
    https://twitter.com/1victorvaldes/status/625971787914944513

Supposedly according to reports, LVG and Valdes have a love/hate relationship and are always falling out and making up.. Valdes still sees himself having a future at United and is waiting on LVG to return to make up with him.

• Advertisement

I've not heard that anywhere and if true then it's bonkers. Valencia was adequate there last year and no more.

The width in our team will be provided pretty much completely by the full backs and Valencia is completely incapable of beating his man and driving into the box or putting a cross anywhere other than into the man facing him's legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He also said the team that started against Barca would more or less be the team that starts against Spurs, bar Schweinsteiger who would also be in contention.

Even if Van Gaal had intentions of starting Valencia at the beginning of the season, his injury pre season and Darmians excellent form will have forced his hand already. he already looks like the type of player that Van Gaal will like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

he did but then he also said the team that started against barca could be very close to the team that starts against spurs

Pro. F wrote: »
    I've never rated Evans very highly - he was always below first team quality for me - but it's laughable how many people there are completely writing him off now compared to what was going on up to the start of last season. Where were all of you before LVG came on the scene? Were ye too shy to express your opinion on Evans when he was playing regularly? Or did he suddenly become a completely different quality of player when Van Gaal came in and knocked him down the pecking order?

I like evans, think he is a solid defender. I don't think van Gaal knocked him down either, was he not injured first then got into the team, was playing really well as he normally does and then got a 6 match ban effectively meaning his season was over?

astradave wrote: »
    Well.........

Supposedly according to reports, LVG and Valdes have a love/hate relationship and are always falling out and making up.. Valdes still sees himself having a future at United and is waiting on LVG to return to make up with him.

Good. I hope he stays but if he does it makes the signing of Romero very strange. He's never going to be first choice so unless DeGea is going and Valdes is going to be No1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that Benzema thing is really really weird, looks like he is leaving Real and is about to sign for somebody else, unless he is on the wind up..

thoughts???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

astradave wrote: »
    Well.........

Either he is trolling us or genuinely doesn't know that LVG no longer wants him to be part of the future Utd plans. Lol!!! If he does stay we have way too many GK on our hands and the Romero signing seems pointless then. Lindegaard would be stupid not to leave. Johnstone would really benefit from a good loan, in an upper Championship side or low BPL side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As other have said that's not a very convincing compilation.
    Smalling could have given away 3-4 penalties in that clip ,a good few times the ball just hits him without him knowing too much about it ,and his passing from 3 minutes on is primarily him lumping the ball forward in the general vicinity of a forward.

1 thing for sure, we have 5 goal keepers, Johnstone needs a loan to a team that build from the back so he can work on his distribution more. Then Lindegaard needs to go, id nearly pay to have him gone.

Then id nearly be inclined to loan Valdez out to maybe a prem team(if any would have him) to get him off the wage bill for a season and get him prem experience for when Dave leaves.

Smalling could have given away 3-4 penalties in that clip ,a good few times the ball just hits him without him knowing too much about it ,and his passing from 3 minutes on is primarily him lumping the ball forward in the general vicinity of a forward.

when its lumped to fellaini its called passing :)

I like evans, think he is a solid defender. I don't think van Gaal knocked him down either, was he not injured first then got into the team, was playing really well as he normally does and then got a 6 match ban effectively meaning his season was over?

Well I don't think he was playing that well, but it's possible that LVG did want Evans to be first choice so you can ignore that last question. Although none of the questions are relevant for you anyway since you aren't slating Evans now.

• Advertisement

John Terry takes up good positions and makes interceptions/blocks/clearances he's a great reader of the game.

Smalling does the same and the ball just hits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Thats a solid team but would it be lacking a bit of pace,something the team struggled with last season ?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think people taking Van Gaal a bit too literally when he said how he lined up for Barca will be more or less the starting lineup for Spurs.

I'd say that the RCM spot is Hererra to lose, and see nothing to indicate he will miss out. Unless there is some massive tactical shift.

Spurs away is tricky. they will be full of energy and pressing and someone with Herreras tenacity will be important in there. I'd say Schweinsteiger is most likely to start on the bench for Spurs away, with Schneiderlan, Carrick and Herrera lining up in midfield, with Mata, Depay and Rooney as the front three.

Blind could well start LB for the trust factor. Shaw has been impressive pre-season, but for what will be seen as a must win, might see Blind in there ahead of him. Darmian I think is doing enough pre-season to warrant a slow striaght in at right back.

I'd say he will go with Smalling and Jones at CB, with Rojo to miss out.

another possability is him actually going with Blind alongside Smalling at CB, and starting Shaw.

I don't think blind is playing there for the laughi in pre-season, there is obviously method to the madness of him starting a load of games at CB. And you know I'd just about trust Blind to do it, like the way he reads the game.

Would you not consider the change from 4141 with three central midfielders, that we were playing at the back end of last season, to the 4231/4411, with two central midfielders and Memphis playing behind Rooney, that we've been playing this preseason, a massive tactical shift?

I would say that it is very likely that LVG's plans now don't include Herrera in the first team. I'd also say it is very likely that Herrera was never a Van Gaal purchase and he only played Herrera so much in the back half of last season because nothing else had worked up to that point and he was stuck.

Thats a solid team but would it be lacking a bit of pace,something the team struggled with last season ?

With Depay, Shaw and Darmian , there's enough pace. Rooney is no slouch either like.

just looking at the club coefficient at the moment, i thought we would be pot 2 in the CL but from the look of it if we qualify we would be pot 3? or am i reading it wrong?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

or could we just scrape the last spot in the pot

I agree with you about taking the starting 11 Vs Barca too literally. For example Blind starting with Smalling playing second half was probably just so there was at least one recognised CB at all times Vs Barca. Same with Herrera in the middle.

If we keep the same squad as we have now and everyone is available I think we'll go for...
    DDG
    Carrick - Morgan
    Herrera
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

Smalling didnt play one game at LCB last season why do you think he will change that now?

Smalling didnt play one game at LCB last season why do you think he will change that now?

I just hopped him and Jones in at the two CB positions without giving it much thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but Graham Hunter has a good podcast. This week he had a good interview with David Moyes.

Moyes came across very well on it. Hunter gave him a chance to put some of the united players down but he responded saying everyone was brilliant to him at United.
    Moyes referred to Rooney as a street footballer. Sure Bankok will love that .

Link to podcast
    http://grahamhunter.tv/the-big-interview-with-david-moyes-2/

Also done some good ones with Gary Neville,Jamie Carragher & Gordon Strachan.

I just hopped him and Jones in at the two CB positions without giving it much thought.

Ok fair enough if it was to be jones played a good few games at LCB so would be more likely to go there based on what LVG did last season anyways.

I do think Evans is done for too, not talking about his quality but he was dropped from the squad for Barcelona that or he had an injury I didnt hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

This is the quote I was referring to;
    "We have brought Darmian for the second position behind Valencia and now already because of that injury, McNair has to play there."

Source

Admittedly I didn't see the quote about the team that started against Barcelona, hope Darmian does indeed get the nod, looks very good for what little I've seen.

• Advertisement

when its lumped to fellaini its called passing :)

When its passed to Fellaini its called passing, you do know a pass doesnt have to go along the ground?

What were the 3-4 penalties that he could have given away and which times exactly did the the ball just hit him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

DDG
    Carrick - Morgan
    Herrera
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

DDG
    Darmian-Smalling-Rojo-Shaw
    sweinsetiger
    Herrera
    Morgan
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Took me a moment to figure out who Morgan was...

Ok fair enough if it was to be jones played a good few games at LCB so would be more likely to go there based on what LVG did last season anyways.

I do think Evans is done for too, not talking about his quality but he was dropped from the squad for Barcelona that or he had an injury I didnt hear about.

I was one of Evans biggest defenders on big United forums like Redcafe and Unitedreds for years to the point where I would argue constantly with people about him. I think he's quality but every single time he makes any small mistake it's blown out of all proportion. The fans booing him last year for making back passes was the final straw. I really don't see anyway back for him at the club now.

py2006 wrote: »

Easier to spell innit.

py2006 wrote: »

he calls morgan by his first name who will have his last name on his shirt but poor memphis has asked to be called memphis and he gets called depay :rolleyes: ........................:pac:

Roquentin wrote: »

DDG
    Darmian-Smalling-Rojo-Shaw
    sweinsetiger
    Herrera
    Morgan
    Mata
    Depay
    Rooney

That would be the preferred team for most people i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

magnumbud wrote: »
    just looking at the club coefficient at the moment, i thought we would be pot 2 in the CL but from the look of it if we qualify we would be pot 3? or am i reading it wrong?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

or could we just scrape the last spot in the pot

No, those are the current rankings. The draw is made based on the end of season 2014/2015 ranking. We will be in pot 2 assuming we qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So Robbie Brady and James Chester were signed for around 2 Million pounds and are sold for 15 Million pounds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement