Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trond wrote: »
    Glad you said that bit because the rest of your assessment is a bit harsh imo!

Given the lack of consistency and structure with our central midfield last season it was always going to be tough on him. I don't think the manager really trusted him in the first 3-4 months either.

LVG's preferred style of play is one that his touch and technique will really shine next season, especially with a solid base behind him.

I'm unsure if it is harsh. He did well as part of the midfield system and scored a few nice goals but didn't control the tempo and demand the ball enough at times. I like him and am happy he's at United, hopeful for improvement but I wouldn't have him as a no. 10 as I don't think he does enough in attack for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jayop wrote: »
    Young was yesterdays pointless argument. I' not going over that one again man.

From what I've seen in preseason the set up will be pretty much exactly as it was last season with a 433 so not sure what "new set-up" you mean.

Two deep CMs now, as opposed to one at the back end of last season. Two CMs who are better defensively than they are on the ball (Schneiderlin and Carrick) as opposed to the other way around (Herrera and Fellaini). So it's quite a different set-up now.

Van Gaal calls everything a 433 which confuses the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Mata on the wing is great at creating space for the full back. He constantly drifted inside offering Valencia loads of space to attack but he can't cross a ball. Hopefully the new boy can put in a decent cross.

Liam O wrote: »
    I'm unsure if it is harsh. He did well as part of the midfield system and scored a few nice goals but didn't control the tempo and demand the ball enough at times. I like him and am happy he's at United, hopeful for improvement but I wouldn't have him as a no. 10 as I don't think he does enough in attack for the position.

His goal scoring was a bit deceptive. He had something close to 100% conversion rate for a while when he was getting those few goals. Imo he's not enough of a goal threat to play 10.

Although I'd say he controlled the tempo and demanded the ball fine from CM myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Shaw looks lean. They said on MUTV the other day that he took a fitness coach on holidays off his own initiative. I really like to see that from a young player. Shows a desire to be better.

Think him and Adnan went to Dubai together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pro. F wrote: »
    Two deep CMs now, as opposed to one at the back end of last season. Two CMs who are better defensively than they are on the ball (Schneiderlin and Carrick) as opposed to the other way around (Herrera and Fellaini). So it's quite a different set-up now.

Van Gaal calls everything a 433 which confuses the issue.

I think that one of them will still sit deeper than the other two. VanGaal always says that when playing with three in the middle he prefers the two points of the triangle to be attacking with one sitting deeper. My guess is that Morgan will play deepest and 2 from Carrick Basti and Herrera will be slightly further up.

It's strange to think of Carrick playing a little further forward though so I guess we'll have to see about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think that one of them will still sit deeper than the other two. VanGaal always says that when playing with three in the middle he prefers the two points of the triangle to be attacking with one sitting deeper. My guess is that Morgan will play deepest and 2 from Carrick Basti and Herrera will be slightly further up.

It's strange to think of Carrick playing a little further forward though so I guess we'll have to see about that.

Schneiderlin is more of a box to box player than an outright DM, he used to push further up for Southampton and Waynama was the deepest Midfielder. If anything it will be Carrick/Scweinsteiger at the base and Scneiderlin as the box to box and Herrera as the AMC. Thats only if he fancies Herrera to play instead of Memphis/Mata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Anyone got the link to the weird African dancing man in one of the Youtube live streams for the game tonight???

I haven't seen him saying he prefers two attacking points with one sitting as you say. My understanding was that LVG likes one pure DM, one more box-to-box and then a 10 in front of them. That's what we have now with Memphis playing in front of the other two centrally. So the opposite of what it was at the back end of last season. And two of the CMs now are better defensively than they are attacking (Carrick and Schneiderlin), so again the inverse of what it was last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I haven't seen him saying he prefers two attacking points with one sitting as you say. My understanding was that LVG likes one pure DM, one more box-to-box and then a 10 in front of them. That's what we have now with Memphis playing in front of the other two centrally. So the opposite of what it was at the back end of last season. And two of the CMs now are better defensively than they are attacking (Carrick and Schneiderlin), so again the inverse of what it was last season.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o0erZ6b0ENRmtEYnZ5SHVNUnF5VDhyWkY4aUhXNm1CZ3Y0/view?usp=sharing

provides a good overview of how LVG likes his side to play. I think your summation of his midfield 3 is wrong (though he does like to play the pure DM on occassion where required), but I haven't read this in a good while so maybe I am misremembering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It'll be a deep midfielder, a support player and an advanced midfielder or a deep midfielder and two support players. Van Gaal rarely if ever plays two deep lying midfielders (at Bayern it was Van Bommel, with Holland it was Strootman or De Jong).

The other thing is that most of our midfielders can perform multiple roles like Wijnaldum did or Sneijder did at the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Well that's the end of that then. Being reported ramos has signed contract extension until 2020 with real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

irishchris wrote: »
    Well that's the end of that then. Being reported ramos has signed contract extension until 2020 with real.

I heard today that Ottamendi was at it too, using Utd to get a better contract for himself, and Utd have politely told him to **** Off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o0erZ6b0ENRmtEYnZ5SHVNUnF5VDhyWkY4aUhXNm1CZ3Y0/view?usp=sharing

provides a good overview of how LVG likes his side to play. I think your summation of his midfield 3 is wrong (though he does like to play the pure DM on occassion where required), but I haven't read this in a good while so maybe I am misremembering.

I had certainly misremembered. TBF it is a long time since I read that.

Formation

The formation, in which a team plays, is very influential on the way in which you can play. Louis van Gaal has always played with the 1-4-3-3, but does of course vary within this formation. “When you opt to play with a 1-4-3-3 you will, in my perception, have optimal field positioning. You can then decide whether to play with the point (in midfield) forwards or backwards. A lot of teams nowadays opt to play with the point backwards, but I prefer to play with the point forwards. When you want to move one player up from the back there will be more room to do this when you are playing with the point forward (diagrams 1 and 2). You automatically create more space to move up from the back. When you play with the point backwards you will have to create this space by moving out of the way.

Furthermore, I believe that when you play with the point backwards the distance to the striker generally speaking becomes too big. The striker will therefore often be isolated from the rest of the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pablo128 wrote: »
    I heard today that Ottamendi was at it too, using Utd to get a better contract for himself, and Utd have politely told him to **** Off.

Utd were never in for him. It was reported last week that the Utd hierachy were baffled by the reports linking us to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Utd were never in for him. It was reported last week that the Utd hierachy were baffled by the reports linking us to him.

Report on a report.

Who the **** knows at this point whats going on with Otamendi :D

Can anyone tell me what time the game is on tonight? (Irish time)

stankratz wrote: »

2am unfortunatley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

stankratz wrote: »

2am

• Advertisement

Veritably early compared to the first two games.

Veritably early compared to the first two games.

Yep but i was off work when those two were played :D might stay up and catch the first half and watch the second at lunchtime tomorrow.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Report on a report.

Who the **** knows at this point whats going on with Otamendi :D

James Ducker reported it. Said he got it directly from the Utd hierarchy. Sid Lowe said on his podcast that the rumours had more to do with his agent than Utd.

astradave wrote: »
    Yep but i was off work when those two were played :D might stay up and catch the first half and watch the second at lunchtime tomorrow.

I sat up to watch them but I work 3pm - Midnight anyway so not too bad.

The Quakes game was a nightmare though, I had a wedding the next day in Belfast so bed after 6, up around 9.30 and drive up north. Wrecked!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Would love to beat the sh!te of PSG. Just don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FutureGuy wrote: »

Ya for some reason I was never a fan, even as a kid.

I have no reason to.

• Advertisement

You're not alone there. The City of Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

James Ducker reported it. Said he got it directly from the Utd hierarchy. Sid Lowe said on his podcast that the rumours had more to do with his agent than Utd.

Yeah, "pulling a Gaitan" was brought up, iirc. That it was all coming from his agent to try and big the player up, while United had said nothing and didn't know why the rumours were so persistent :/

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

twinex wrote: »
    Ramos named Madrid captain eh?, anyone else feel like we were manipulated a little? oh Sergio, you slippery eel you:cool:
    tumblr_mtgl1h0rMM1sfyszho1_500.gif

I take no joy in reposting this funny gif :(

.....and I really take issue with players taking Utd for a mug :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

twinex wrote: »
    I take no joy in reposting this funny gif :(

.....and I really take issue with players taking Utd for a mug :mad:

It happens in plenty of other industries. Why not football.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

FutureGuy wrote: »

Happy we beat Barcelona with their Qatar crap on their shirts, hope we do more damage to PSG who are are able to pay the soccer players obscene amounts of money, but treat the poor workers in their country as slaves.
    PSG, the world cup, their expensive race horses, Qatar just putting on a good face to cover up what disgusting people their leaders are and the human rights abuses they allow.
    PSG for me is like buying cigarette shares, it is like supporting killing people with cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The draw for the playoff game is next week I think, sure can't wait to be back in Europe

Was looking at the various pots earlier thinking we could get a group of death because of qualifying through a playoff but they aren't that bad as long as it's not Bayern and Madrid in the first two pots

Obviously the playoff needs to be won first, there would be some serious egg on face if we don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Father is staying only 2 minutes from United Hotel in Chicago. Got meet few of the team this morning. Apparently few United Oldies are on major drinking session over too.

The draw for the playoff game is next week I think, sure can't wait to be back in Europe

Was looking at the various pots earlier thinking we could get a group of death because of qualifying through a playoff but they aren't that bad as long as it's not Bayern and Madrid in the first two pots

Obviously the playoff needs to be won first, there would be some serious egg on face if we don't

Qualifying through the play offs makes no difference to the seedings. It's done on the UEFA coefficients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hope we had a sell fee for James Chester

Yeah, he says there that he prefers to play with the point forward as per the quote in Jayop's post. I don't think he says anything about a DM specifically, but from seeing his teams he does seem to like them.
    It'll be a deep midfielder, a support player and an advanced midfielder or a deep midfielder and two support players. Van Gaal rarely if ever plays two deep lying midfielders (at Bayern it was Van Bommel, with Holland it was Strootman or De Jong).

The other thing is that most of our midfielders can perform multiple roles like Wijnaldum did or Sneijder did at the WC.

Last season it was Carrick deep with Herrera and Fellaini dropping back as needed, with neither of them being fully disciplined. Now I think LVG is changing to one designated central advanced player in there (Memphis so far) and the two who are deeper to defend are always the same two. That's what I mean by two deep CMs. One of them might be given a licence to be more attacking, but he'd still be required to get back to sit in front of the back four whenever possession was lost. And with Schneiderlin and Carrick so far seeming to be the first choice, that is quite a defensive set-up. Which is why I think the set-up would suit Di Maria better (from Van Gaal's way of looking at things) if he were to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

It happens in plenty of other industries. Why not football.

I suppose so but I don't support any teams in these other industries :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Qualifying through the play offs makes no difference to the seedings. It's done on the UEFA coefficients.

What pot do we go in, pot 2? Even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Right lads heard something today not taking it as gospel but someone i work with has a mate with a corporate box in OT was over there today for some reason with his young lad and i was then shown a picture of said young lad standing next to Pedro who had a United kitbag under his arm.....PEDRON!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭dahat

markc91 wrote: »
    Right lads heard something today not taking it as gospel but someone i work with has a mate with a corporate box in OT was over there today for some reason with his young lad and i was then shown a picture of said young lad standing next to Pedro who had a United kitbag under his arm.....PEDRON!!!

Poat lacks BALE....Pedro will do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Arent both United and Barca in the US at the moment?

• Advertisement

OMG i seen the exact same picture minus the young lad

4pclQmN.jpg
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pedro currently in Spain so that guy in the picture wasn't him unless pedro has a twin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Pedro in US and scored for Barca last night.

Looks like if we do go for cillessen he will be cup tied for champions league as he played tonight vs rapid vienna.
    Only hope is ajax get knocked out in second leg for him to be elegible for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

bangkok wrote: »
    Pedro currently in Spain so that guy in the picture wasn't him unless pedro has a twin!!

How do you know? Not calling you out just interested if you have seen something else that proves he's in Spain? Wasn't in the Barca squad last night Afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wasnt he not playing for barca last night in us of a

How do you know? Not calling you out just interested if you have seen something else that proves he's in Spain? Wasn't in the Barca squad last night Afaik

Came on in the 60th min last night for Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Barcelona flew back to Spain today, their tour is over, landed in Barcelona around 3pm

Barcelona flew back to Spain today, their tour is over, landed in Barcelona around 3pm

Just out of interest, are you absolutely certain that Pedro was on that flight? could he have been on a separate flight to Manchester?

I don't believe it anyways but I'm just curious how you are absolutely certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jayo26 wrote: »
    Wasnt he not playing for barca last night in us of a

Yeah he came on as a sub, can't imagine he immediately left DC to fly to Manchester, where the United team aren't, to swan around Old Trafford with a kit bag for some inexplicable reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Oh yeh i knew that i was just testing u

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement