Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

PSG very comfortable winners in that match.

Darmian the only real positive tonight us. Shaw had an ok game overall. Memphis worked hard all game, had a few flashes. Pereira and Schneiderlin looked decent when they came on.

That's about it :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Very worried about the defence after watching this.

I know we shipped in the two goals, but I was far more concerned with the fact we never, ever looked like getting a goal. Once PSG shut up shop, just as it was last year, we had no clue how to break them down, no clue how to open them up. We desperately need some wide players who can carve open a team who sit back, and a striker who can have some sort of idea when faced with a team parking the bus. Cause if we can't score when teams defend, we are screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well, that was fúcking dreadful...

Darmian looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Depay defied physics a couple of times with his close control. Overall I dont think he did amazing but just a couple of times I was like 'wait, what did he just do?'

Schweinstager has looked laborious, of course he can play great passes, but together with carrick it doesnt look like there's enough energy there.

Rooney was decent in link up but lacked cutting edge, as can often be the case. Him and depay's relationship looks extremely good even at this early stage.

Schneiderlin playing so confidently. Same for Darmian he's so solid he could be in the so solid crew.

Not sure about center backs, I have a different opinion every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not happy that we have no more pre season games, could have done with a nice home match on maybe Tuesday night, against someone like Celtic, or a championship team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

As far as I'm concerned Rooney simply doesn't have it in him to have the devastating form of an Aquero. I think Herrera needs to be in that team and Schweinstegger be rotated with Carrick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

With a new season beckoning this is how I see our strongest 11

1.De Gea (its too late to sell him now)

2.Darmian

3.Two from Jones, Smalling Rojo but ideally 1 with the other being replaced by a new centre half

4.Shaw

5.Schneiderlin(first midfielder on the team sheet)

6.Carrick or Schweinstegger(worried Bayern knew what they were doing, sure didn't they only just go out and get Vidal to replace him, it should have been us in for Vidal

7.Herrera or Mata

8.New right sided attacker(if this does happen it will probably be Pedro but Reus, Griezmann and Muller wold be better options plus Muller can play centrally

9.Depay left sided attacker

10.Rooney or new striker

Solid preseason from Darmian and Shaw, not so solid from Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

J. Marston wrote: »

Can't wait for him to leave...I'm hoping the cash helps to get in a CB and a ST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

On the positive side LVG and the players should be more focused this season on the spurs game. Last season with all the furore of beating everyone including real Madrid the players played Swansea expecting to stroll to the 3 points and paid the price. This defeat might be a good motivator to be ready to make sure it does not happen again.
    those defeats at start of last season pushed van gaal to go straight into transfer window.hoping he sees the defensive frailties we have and goes all out for a cb prior to next week's opener.

Van Gaal wrote:
    “I have to start with the formation and when the formation is doing well, I let them pay in that formation,” the manager explained. “I think I shall play [Luke] Shaw with [Matteo] Darmian, and with Daley Blind. The right central position I have to consider. I am very pleased with the performance of Matteo Darmian, and you can see he can play on the right and left.

Not sure what's his obsession with playing players out of position and then moaning about lack of balance. You have Smalling and Evans warming the bench but he plays Blind as CB, Blind will be roasted in PL if he plays as CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Still holding on to the possibility that signings are being held off until the new sponsorship deal is in place. If that's the case then this weekend and next week 'could' be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Still holding on to the possibility that signings are being held off until the new sponsorship deal is in place. If that's the case then this weekend and next week 'could' be busy

If there any any transfers at the weekend or next week i'd be relatively confident that it has nothing to do with the sponsorship deal but rather drawn out negotiations and the desire to wait until the pre season tours had finished (since they we're already heavily in them the last while) before any club would be willing to sell or buy.

Adidas hardly asked us to postpone any transfers and I don't know why this idea keeps coming up. They will make a fortune from the jerseys, and also will be showing all the newly bought players in them. It makes absolutely no difference if we sign a player before or after and he holds up the jersey for the photos. Either way any new player in is money in their pockets as no one will buy the old jersey with the new players name and number on it.

I can't express how much I think the idea of "holding off until the new jersey is out" is ridiculous and a way of people just trying to find an excuse to why a player they want hasnt been signed, just to keep themselves happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Woke up this morning. Turn on SSN over breakfast. Utd beaten 2-0. :(
    Van Gaal interview - don't know where Di Maria is, Blanc - the deal is nearly done. :mad:
    Van Gaal - the De Gea situation is not a favourable situation for us. :(

I swear to God, if those two are sold and no one else is brought in we haven't a prayer for the league. In fact I'd say the overall squad would be weaker than last season.

#concerned

adox wrote: »
    Van Gaal interview - don't know where Di Maria is, Blanc - the deal is nearly done. :mad:

I swear to God, if those two are sold and no one else is brought in we haven't a prayer for the league. In fact I'd say the overall squad would be weaker than last season.

#concerned

Simple, Johnstone slots into GK, Lingard and Pereira compete for ADM vacant spot on the team and we coast to the quadruple... easy stufy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My big worry is lack of additions on CB positions. We're going to be in big trouble there if nothing is done

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

adox wrote: »

#concerned

Concerned too. Only consolation is we'd have a zero net spend in the window and more squad depth so the future would be very bright with up to €300m to spend in the next few windows.

I reckon Smalling and Rojo is our best CB pairing. I don't think that's close to a title winning partnership. Jones makes me nervous every time I see him on the team sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Smalling and Jones cannot be relied upon to be our stalwarts in defence, and its nowt to do with ability. It's the simple fact that both are made of glass and are one tackle away from being out for a number of games and a makeshift defence thrown together. Thank fcuk Rojo was bought last Summer as he offers choices. Was annoyed at the last few seasons of Ferdinand and Vidic as although they were not as injury prone, they still missed a lot of games between them towards their last few seasons.

However that was because age caught up with them, Jones and Smalling both miss games when they are supposed to be at their prime, or at least approaching it. United need at least one more top defender as a CB choice, someone in his prime and someone who can be relied upon.

And its also obvious we need striker, when your top league goal scorer scores twelve goals last season, and he played a number of games in midfield then you know strength in depth is needed.

Smalling and Jones cannot be relied upon to be our stalwarts in defence, and its nowt to do with ability. It's the simple fact that both are made of glass and are one tackle away from being out for a number of games and a makeshift defence thrown together. Thank fcuk Rojo was bought last Summer as he offers choices. Was annoyed at the last few seasons of Ferdinand and Vidic as although they were not as injury prone, they still missed a lot of games between them towards their last few seasons.

However that was because age caught up with them, Jones and Smalling both miss games when they are supposed to be at their prime, or at least approaching it. United need at least one more top defender as a CB choice, someone in his prime and someone who can be relied upon.

And its also obvious we need striker, when your top league goal scorer scores twelve goals last season, and he played a number of games in midfield then you know strength in depth is needed.

Theyll go on to injury free seasons now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    My big worry is lack of additions on CB positions. We're going to be in big trouble there if nothing is done

Any team can let in 2 goals to PSG, not scoring in a preseason game against them is overall more worrying. Can't see Blind starting the season in CB at all, Smalling and Evans have looked good there preseason, probably at least one of them should have started even on the wrong side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Headshot wrote: »

A bigger concern is more strange decisions from the manager, there were far too many of them last season and some evidence that we are going to be seeing more next season. Why exactly are all our CB's on the bench while Blind is getting games in their place? We could badly do with getting a partnership going at CB, not experimenting with slow midfielders who clearly aren't centre backs.

That said, I didn't give a toss about pre-season games when we were winning and I don't care that we lost. They mean nothing when it comes to the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Don't think one can read much into a pre-season friendly, as last season proved.

CHOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Blind at CB might be this seasons 5-3-2, LVG makes some bizarre decisions.

Didn't watch the game last night but I doubt Jones would have struggled so badly with a proper partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Concerned too. Only consolation is we'd have a zero net spend in the window and more squad depth so the future would be very bright with up to €300m to spend in the next few windows.

I reckon Smalling and Rojo is our best CB pairing. I don't think that's close to a title winning partnership. Jones makes me nervous every time I see him on the team sheet.

300m to spend on who though? If we have a sh1t season ans fail to get champions league who will want to come?

I could not give a damn about extra signing ifvthey have not already been lined up but if we lose DDG I will be so pissed off.

There is no point saying we will use DDg and ADM money for transfers sure any club would just screw us over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

beno619 wrote: »
    Blind at CB might me this seasons 5-3-2, LVG makes some bizarre decisions.

Didn't watch the game last night but I doubt Jones would have struggled so badly with a proper partner.

Yeah Blind made Phil Jones stop dead instead of chasing the run for the second goal :pac:

http://gfycat.com/TerribleCrazyLadybug[url][/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not worried about the game itself, it's the fact that it appears that not a lot has changed in terms of our quality and creativity.

We have maybe sorted RB and increased CM options which is great but ultimately 3 more potential problems exist by he sales of strikers, Di Maria and DDG eventually and this is a huge risk going into the season. We need a big finish to the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Not worried about the game itself, it's the fact that it appears that not a lot has changed in terms of our quality and creativity.

We have maybe sorted RB and increased CM options which is great but ultimately 3 more potential problems exist by he sales of strikers, Di Maria and DDG eventually and this is a huge risk going into the season. We need a big finish to the transfer window.

Thought DeGea was hugely unimpressive last night. Pulled out of the first goal, as he probably didn't want to risk injury. I think we need to get him and Di Maria sorted ASAP. . Bring in replacements and get the squad settled..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, people still comfortable with our defensive options after that shambolic display?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, people still comfortable with our defensive options after that shambolic display?
    I'm sensing you're not happy Mitch, say it ain't so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Utter lack of threat from Rooney a worry too.

Very concerned, a lot of transfer work needs to be done and the noises from the club indicate there is no appetite to do it with regards a striker or defender.

Whatever about boosting cm, we're still 4th st best without further investment

Phil Jones and Daley Blind will start the season as first choice center backs.

Ashley Young will start the season first choice and we are one Rooney injury away from striking crisis.

It really is not an ideal situation to be in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The creativity is the problem. Young and Mata don't seem to be able to break down a defense, and when they do, Rooney doesn't seem to be able to take the chances given. It's not to say he's getting enough chances, but he needs to be better able to take them when they arise.

Not making excuses, but Yorke said last night that he felt the team were just super-tired after the travelling, and I do think there was a sense of not really caring about the match once the second half came round. A good few players didn't seem to look for the ball or want to do too much. I think they had zero interest about the cup, and just wanted to get back home. :/

I'd imagine we're in for a "fun" week now tbh, and the interview a few days ago makes me confident that LVG at least knows there's a problem with creativity. Ironically, the manner of that loss to close the pre-season might give us the kick up the ass to get the business done quick.

It's preseason, nice to do well but not the be all and end all, it's mentioned a few times how well we did last preseason before getting off to a horrendous start.

They defence has been solid enough in the other matches so not going to go into panic mode after one game.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ironically, the manner of that loss to close the pre-season might give us the kick up the ass to get the business done quick.

Basing it on One meaningless preaseson is not something the club should or will do.

I believe two players will come in but again, we have put our season at risk by not having all the work done on time. Based on previous two years, brining in players without preseason does not work and its unfair on players late and expecting them to do well immediately is not really fair.

At the moment we won't finish higher than 4th and to be honest, that's unacceptable. I'd also worry about us in Europe play off with our current uncertainty of we get one of the better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Does anyone know when the squad is due to travel back to England?

Liam O wrote: »
    Any team can let in 2 goals to PSG, not scoring in a preseason game against them is overall more worrying. Can't see Blind starting the season in CB at all, Smalling and Evans have looked good there preseason, probably at least one of them should have started even on the wrong side.

Van Gaal confirmed Shaw, Darmian, Blind will play against Spurs and he has to choose one for the RCB.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Van Gaal confirmed Shaw, Darmian, Blind will play against Spurs and he has to choose one for the RCB.

Missed that. Did he say this after the match earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Giggsy11 wrote: »

If Van Gaal is going to start the season with Blind as a CB then he is an utter fool. I refuse to believe he could be that stupid, so I will assume thats all just mind games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Our options are fine, LVG just needs to pick the best available players.

Also its just pre-season.

Missed that. Did he say this after the match earlier?

Yes. He said after PSG game. He said he was impressed with Blind and in this season he will play either in midfield, LB or CB.
    “I have to start with the formation and when the formation is doing well, I let them play in that formation,” the manager explained. “I think I shall play [Luke] Shaw with [Matteo] Darmian, and with Daley Blind. The right central position I have to consider. I am very pleased with the performance of Matteo Darmian, and you can see he can play on the right and left.

“Also, a benefit of this year’s tour is that we don't have any injuries. Last year I was forced to use, for example, Tyler Blackett and Jesse Lingard in the first Premier League match. Now, I have a wider selection and I can use everybody who I think I have to use. There is more competition now and there is more balance in the selection. I have a lot of confidence to start the competition.”

Quizzed on Blind’s performance at centre-back, a position he has occupied all summer, van Gaal praised his fellow Dutchman but explained why his versatility could lead to him playing elsewhere.

“I was very pleased with his performances, not only this evening but also the former performances,” van Gaal assessed, looking back on the tour. “I think he can build up the game better from that position and he defended very well. I think I shall use him there, but also in midfield and also at left full-back position. I am pleased with his performances over here in USA."

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2015/News-and-Features/2015/Jul/Louis-van-Gaal-reacts-to-Manchester-United-losing-to-PSG-on-Tour-2015.aspx

If Van Gaal is going to start the season with Blind as a CB then he is an utter fool. I refuse to believe he could be that stupid, so I will assume thats all just mind games.

I disagree with mind game part but agree with utter fool part. Van Gaal makes ridiculous experiments and cries about lack of balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I just can't see Daley Blind becoming a regular at CB, not when we have Rojo, Smalling, Jones and Evans. If he does then we can add it to the ever growing list of bizarre **** LVG has done.

I just can't see Daley Blind becoming a regular at CB, not when we have Rojo, Smalling, Jones and Evans. If he does then we can add it to the ever growing list of bizarre **** LVG has done.

The thing is, based on this nonsense no matter even if we signed Ramos or Otamendi or any other top CB , he would still insist on a left leg beside them.

We won't see Rojo for a month. He will be forced to play in the reserves first as will several others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

LVG: "I will play Blind, he is versatile, he can play at CB, LB or DM"

Media: "LVG SAYS BLIND WILL START AT CENTRE BACK AGAINST SPURS SHOCKER"

:rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Good result, it is what we needed before the season starts. Time to fix it.
    Darmian from his first game for us has been really good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Does anyone know when the squad is due to travel back to England?

The flew out straight after the game. Probably still in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »

If these are genuine I think I'm gonna have to get all 3. Love the retro design in the 3rd kit and the white one is a throw back to the ,91 CWC final jersey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement