Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoc wrote: »
    And what did the Barcalona performance, few nights previous, suggest? Remember, when we trounced the European champions 3-1.

I basically find it suggests that when a team play us, we can do very well.

I get the attitude of "Don't throw strops over friendlies", and agree to an extent, but so too can it be said that you shouldn't ignore friendlies in pre-season completely, especially when the problems there last night were the same ones which featured heavily last season.

There's no point denying that when a team closes up shop against us, we don't have a clue how to break them down. When teams play us, we do very well, which is why we had such a great record against the top teams last year, while struggling with the bottom ones. But the PSG game showed we still desperately need that creative spark, and thats not based on a single game, it's based on the last 24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think people are drastically inflating how far Chelsea are ahead, and underestimating how we can potentially close that gap.

I don't read anything into pre season games. They tell us nothing at all . .

The reason Chelsea are the best is because of Jose. I don't like him, but hes a winner in the same mould as SAF. Any team he takes over gets like a 30% boost just by him being there. I don't think on paper the Chelsea team is guaranteed champions, I just think Jose is one of the few managers that makes a team more solid and consistent which is more important then having a stronger team on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

ericzeking wrote: »
    I haven't seen last nights game, was Blind as bad as it is being made out here?

Blind was ok but he doesn't improve things much. He pushed into midfield a lot leaving Phil Jones to cover at the back, which he just isn't capable of against decent opposition, even if they're only playing with a 33 year old up front.

I hope we're not starting the season with either of them at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I didnt even see the game last night. I dont think anyone is basing their opinions purely on pre season. It was more the post match interview with Van Gaal, where he more or less said that both De Gea and Di Maria are gone(when the money is right) and Blind will start at CB.

Also the lack of replacements for them with the season nearly upon us, it is getting concerning.

Its getting a little irritating(although predictable) that you cant raise concerns without getting some totally over the top nonsense in reply, largely mis representing the points made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Wouldnt be surprised to see Blind starting at CB. Rojo will need few games to get match practise after being off a while.

Utd desperatly need a new CB. LVG seems to have some obsession for having a right footed and left footed CB partnership. Daft considering it didnt matter 2 s**ts when Rio and Vidic played so well together.
    LVG had phil jones taking our corners at one stage last year. I think he tries to revolutionise football sometimes! Nothing surprises me when it comes to selections he makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I basically find it suggests that when a team play us, we can do very well.

I get the attitude of "Don't throw strops over friendlies", and agree to an extent, but so too can it be said that you shouldn't ignore friendlies in pre-season completely, especially when the problems there last night were the same ones which featured heavily last season.

There's no point denying that when a team closes up shop against us, we don't have a clue how to break them down. When teams play us, we do very well, which is why we had such a great record against the top teams last year, while struggling with the bottom ones. But the PSG game showed we still desperately need that creative spark, and thats not based on a single game, it's based on the last 24 months.

Creative spark ?? DiMaria if he'd sort himself out !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I'd imagine Blind will be replaced by Rojo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    I didnt even see the game last night. I dont think anyone is basing their opinions purely on pre season. It was more the post match interview with Van Gaal, where he more or less said that both De Gea and Di Maria are gone(when the money is right) and Blind will start at CB.

Also the lack of replacements for them with the season nearly upon us, it is getting concerning.

Its getting a little irritating(although predictable) that you cant raise concerns without getting some totally over the top nonsense in reply, largely mis representing the points made.

bull****. I was reading back on the thread for reactions as they would have happened during the match, and it was the typical isolated OTT nonsense.

I'll totally accept people having their say on Blind at Cb, or potential formations and lineups going into the season.

But people saying how we havnt a hope for the title, or could well finish 4th again, based on a performance in a pre-season match, is utter bollox, and total nonsense.

It's perfectly fine for people to raise valid concerns, issues and their own ****. But if people are going to trod out piss poor analysis that they are forming based on meaningless matches and their perception of our transfer business, they are going to get called up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

And what did the Barcalona performance, few nights previous, suggest? Remember, when we trounced the European champions 3-1.

This reading in depth into pre-season matches is exactly the sort of ****e the media outlets are feeding you and you are taking. "Five things we learned" and reports down at ****ebag friendlies giving match updates.

Get a ****ing grip please.

Absolutely embarrassing reading some of the reactions to last nights FRIENDLY.
    A Barca team without Messi and Neymar. And we were lucky enough at times.

Last nights result or performance wouldn't bother me. What does is LVGs stubbornness wanting to play a left footed center half at all times. Does it really matter?? Smalling and Jones are far better partnership than either with Blind.

We have improved our squad a bit since last year but our first team is still 2 or 3 players short of a league winning 11

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

how did we play this morning? missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I'd imagine Blind will be replaced by Rojo anyway.

I'd imagine so too but we all know that LVG likes players to build up their "match rhythm" in the u21's before he'll even consider playing them. I don't give a crap about pre-season friendlies, I do care when the manager is talking about shoe-horning Daley Blind in at CB because he's left-footed when we have actual CB's fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Robson99 wrote: »
    A Barca team without Messi and Neymar. And we were lucky enough at times.

Not to mention being 2/3 weeks behind us in terms of pre-season preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ericzeking wrote: »
    I haven't seen last nights game, was Blind as bad as it is being made out here?

He was. For both goals he was in midfield and Jones was the only one in CB position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Still only pre season people need to relax it's a gd wake up call rather then winning all the pre season games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

di Maria spotted playing a round of golf with Carlos Tevez :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://vine.co/v/eXHBed0Dtu0
    The devil is in the detail. Designed to break expectations. #BeTheDifference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like the Di Maria transfer will progress today/tomorrow.

hopefully we will have an end to this mess and we can move on to getting his replacement in.

Transfer saga now "who is holding the trident" ;)

Addidas big signing conspiracy theorists no doubt going to lose their ****

looks like the Di Maria transfer will progress today/tomorrow.

hopefully we will have an end to this mess and we can move on to getting his replacement in.

Balleague seems to be confident with what's going on, few others seem to confirm his story. Deal struck in Paris yesterday, circa £42m. Pretty good fee by all accounts.

Would imagine when his exit is confirmed, Pedro inbound will be confirmed. And by all accounts softens the blow for me. Pedro is a ridiculously exciting signing to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Transfer saga now "who is holding the trident" ;)

Addidas big signing conspiracy theorists no doubt going to lose their ****

Ha look at those tanned hands.. its obviously someone that is from Portugal...

RonaldON!!!

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Ha look at those tanned hands.. its obviously someone that is from Portugal...

RonaldON!!!

Literally the first thing that came into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes we are going to panic buy both Cristiano Ronaldo and Aymeric Laporte for £160 million...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Blind being an option at CH is more based on our possession strategy than anything else. Having a player who can comfortably play in midfield playing centre half may allow our CM to be further forward when they receive the ball. At times last season, Carrick or Blind or herrerra could only receive the ball if they went right back and made the angle for a simple 5 yard pass for Jones or Smalling because neither was good enough on the ball to play anything else.

I think Blind at CH might be something we may have to get used to, I actually had a wild notion in my head that LVG would try and convert Carrick into a CH for the same reason.

This strategy would further limit who we would potentially be in the market for in terms of a centre half in that they will clearly have to be a very good ball player and it would also explain the pursuit of Ramos.....

"The di Maria deal to PSG was all done and dusted yesterday in Paris."

"The di Maria deal agreed with PSG yesterday is for a €63m fee (£44.2m)"

Guillem Balague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Balleague seems to be confident with what's going on, few others seem to confirm his story. Deal struck in Paris yesterday, circa £42m. Pretty good fee by all accounts.

Would imagine when his exit is confirmed, Pedro inbound will be confirmed. And by all accounts softens the blow for me. Pedro is a ridiculously exciting signing to make.

£42 million , thank heavens for that.

"On Pedro: LE says he will only leave if United pays the buy out clause, but a source at FCB admits something is "being cooked"...."

Balague on Pedro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Does Pedro have that Xfactor ? can he unlock a defence on his own ?

Greizeman would be my ideal replacement.

pedro would fit van gaals system. knows when to retain the ball and when to pass.

bangkok wrote: »
    "The di Maria deal to PSG was all done and dusted yesterday in Paris."

"The di Maria deal agreed with PSG yesterday is for a €63m fee (£44.2m)"

Guillem Balague

€63m is excellent money. now lets blow it all on Pedro and a striker please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Genuine curiosity, who would you like hat would be realistic on the striker front? :)

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He was. For both goals he was in midfield and Jones was the only one in CB position.

If you're suggesting he went walkies against instructions then we won't be seeing him at CB again.

It looked to me as though Blind pushing into midfield was part of the 'philosophy' the problem was Jones lunging into tackles in PSG's half, as he is wont to do, and not being able to get back into position.

A proper defensive partner would have moved back to cover when Jones failed to win possession. That's another symptom of the poor organisation and communication there's been at the back.

Even a mouthy GK should be spotting this kind of thing happening in front of him and tearing the ears off his defenders. No leaders at the back, big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

42 million will be a 17 million hit on Di Maria....ouch
    If we get Pedro in that will be great.
    However i fear we will not be title contenders unless we get that marquee centre back we desparatley need. We were so exposed in that position last season and the problem has not been addressed. Disappointing.

Roquentin wrote: »
    pedro would fit van gaals system. knows when to retain the ball and when to pass.

Who cares though ? our problem isn't ball retention, its chance creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is it ? Chelsea got £50mi for David Luiz. Seems like we got mugged to be honest.

But never mind, people will still think Woodward is a genius ...

"For those asking: no chance whatsoever of Benzema leaving Real Madrid this summer (so no way he will go to Arsenal)"

Balague yesterday.

Benzema starting for Madrid in China now so the above looks true

beno619 wrote: »
    Who cares though ? our problem isn't ball retention, its chance creation.

yea but van gaal was not impressed by dimaria squandering possession. there was a good article by jim white recently on this. di maria was doing some unbelievable things, but also attempting ridiculous passes that did not hit the target.

Korat wrote: »
    If you're suggesting he went walkies against instructions then we won't be seeing him at CB again.

It looked to me as though Blind pushing into midfield was part of the 'philosophy' the problem was Jones lunging into tackles in PSG's half, as he is wont to do, and not being able to get back into position.

A proper defensive partner would have moved back to cover when Jones failed to win possession. That's another symptom of the poor organisation and communication there's been at the back.

Even a mouthy GK should be spotting this kind of thing happening in front of him and tearing the ears off his defenders. No leaders at the back, big problem.

It was all confusing. Some weird defensive movements I noticed today.

1. Jones was pushing so high up he was in PSG's half to win ball back leaving gaps. I'm assuming it was meant Blind should be covering the space.

2. Blind was in midfield trying to help team in possession but when we lost ball it was Jones all alone in center of defense.

Maybe that was the plan but that looked awful with gaps in center defense always.

Also third one was Shaw followed Lucas till the right back position leaving left back position completely. One switch to PSG's RW then it was all open.

Obviously Van Gaal is/was a great manager and knows what he is doing but something you see on the pitch is so so weird.

To me Pedro would be an exciting signing in so far as I've no idea what to expect from him. Brilliant? good? average? I won't have any great expectation of him, the way I did with Di Maria. Maybe that's a good thing, without the big reputation he could catch teams out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

would be great if United could get Griezeman. Probbaly unlikely but athleti have signed Vietto and Jackson this summer along with winger Carrasco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Van gaal confirms plans for darmian, blind and shaw to start against Tottenham.

Roquentin wrote: »
    yea but van gaal was not impressed by dimaria squandering possession. there was a good article by jim white recently on this. di maria was doing some unbelievable things, but also attempting ridiculous passes that did not hit the target.

On form most of those passes hit the intended target, its a mute point now.

But I don't think we need a winger that retains the ball well, we need a guy who's gonna either create a boatload of chances or score goals by himself.

beno619 wrote: »
    On form most of those passes hit the intended target, its a mute point now.

But I don't think we need a winger that retains the ball well, we need a guy who's gonna either create a boatload of chances or score goals by himself.

di maria is unpredictable. with pedro you get certainty. i still think di maria could have done the robben role very well. seems he wants out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This ADM transfer has to be one of the ugliest in recent history and its all down to the player imo. I do believe LVG wants to keep him but ADM is making it impossible and thats why a quick deal hasn't been done.

Unprofessional attitude from ADM. Doesn't want to rejoin UTD so effectively goes on strike at home. Too afraid to have a face to face with his manager and team mates and tell them he wants out.

So much for his quotes of "going nowhere and wanting to make it work at UTD".

It doesn't reflect well on UTD but what can they do when the player doesn't turn up. I can't remember such a big money, high profile transfer that lasted only one season.

Cowardly behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This business of having to play a left footed player at LCB has gone way too far; at a certain point there are just better centre halve options to play there than the next left footed player in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

1. Jones was pushing so high up he was in PSG's half to win ball back leaving gaps. I'm assuming it was meant Blind should be covering the space.

2. Blind was in midfield trying to help team in possession but when we lost ball it was Jones all alone in center of defense.

Maybe that was the plan but that looked awful with gaps in center defense always.

Also third one was Shaw followed Lucas till the right back position leaving left back position completely. One switch to PSG's RW then it was all open.

Obviously Van Gaal is/was a great manager and knows what he is doing but something you see on the pitch is so so weird.

Wouldn't panic, pre season is a good chance to try out different tactics. Some work some don't. Now if we have a similar start to last season, then I would be a lot more concerned.

One big (and biggest in my view) is we didn't pick up any injuries to first team and potential starters during the preseason. Huge positive.

I do expect us to be a lot better considering they have been on VG fitness trainings for a long time now so that should improve them.

• Advertisement

could be wrong, but a massive reason for Di Maria acting the boll*x is his wife wants out asap.

Manchester is a s*ithole, lets not kid ourselves and there seems to be a correlation in his drop in form and the fact their house got broken into !

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wouldn't panic, pre season is a good chance to try out different tactics. Some work some don't. Now if we have a similar start to last season, then I would be a lot more concerned.

One big (and biggest in my view) is we didn't pick up any injuries to first team and potential starters during the preseason. Huge positive.

I do expect us to be a lot better considering they have been on VG fitness trainings for a long time now so that should improve them.

Yeah I was under the same impression, that preseason is the best time for experiments with tactics but Van Gaal said Blind will play against Spurs as left Center back which is something I really don't like.

Also Van Gaal talks about height, physically weak but then goes on to bench player who offers both (Smalling).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Anyone feel free to shoot me down if I'm totally wrong but this is his Van Gaal's philoshopy right? In possession one of the CB will step up towards midfield and become an outlet for the ball. We have two central midfielders just ahead and a third 'number 10-ish' midfielder ahead again. I think the point is in theory we get an extra man in possession in the opponent's half.

Obviously the defensive side of things needs work because they were caught out when possession was turned. Also I am not convinced it'll work with the pace of the PL but we'll soon find out!

could be wrong, but a massive reason for Di Maria acting the boll*x is his wife wants out asap.

Manchester is a s*ithole, lets not kid ourselves and there seems to be a correlation in his drop in form and the fact their house got broken into !

Shouldn't have signed in the first place if that was the reason. And also I'm assuming place where Di Maria grew up wasn't like Barca either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I think Manchester is a great little City, good buzz there and I love going on the lash there.

Although I'm into the hustle and bustle of cities over the beach & pool vibe places so I can understand why a lot of players from the hotter climates would not like it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement