Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Anyone feel free to shoot me down if I'm totally wrong but this is his Van Gaal's philoshopy right? In possession one of the CB will step up towards midfield and become an outlet for the ball. We have two central midfielders just ahead and a third 'number 10-ish' midfielder ahead again. I think the point is in theory we get an extra man in possession in the opponent's half.

Obviously the defensive side of things needs work because they were caught out when possession was turned. Also I am not convinced it'll work with the pace of the PL but we'll soon find out!

I don't know but most possession based teams play with full backs who push very high up, CBs are split far away with midfielder dropping between them to play passes from deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find it baffling how so many people seem to just not feel confident about knowing Pedro, or who or what he is.

Pedro singing would have me more ecstatic and excited then Di Maria. Di Maria had a really brilliant season in his last with Madrid, but had been wildly inconsistent for many before that. He was the Real Madrid Nani, fueling constant debate.

Pedro was an essential part of Guardiola's Barca, won just about everything you can before he hit 25, and holds an impressive record of scoring in six individual competitions in a season. I'd ay if you look at the Pep Barca era, if your into stats, I'd hazard a guess that he sits behind Messi for assists and possibly goals too.

Pedro is an animal. An important part of Barcalona in his prime years. The only reason he isn't in that team, is because Messi is playing in his position now.

Seriously, GET HYPED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think Manchester is a great little City, good buzz there and I love going on the lash there.

Although I'm into the hustle and bustle of cities over the beach & pool vibe places so I can understand why a lot of players from the hotter climates would not like it.

its fine to go once or twice a year, but the more time you spend there, the more apparent how much of a dump it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

After spending years in Sunny Madrid and then going to Manchester, it is perfectly understandable why someone would hate it there. Massive downgrade in terms of weather which affects lifestyle

TheDoc wrote: »
    I find it baffling how so many people seem to just not feel confident about knowing Pedro, or who or what he is.

Pedro singing would have me more ecstatic and excited then Di Maria. Di Maria had a really brilliant season in his last with Madrid, but had been wildly inconsistent for many before that. He was the Real Madrid Nani, fueling constant debate.

full agree. i think he would be a sensational signing. perhaps the most exciting signing since RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United should pay the €50 million buyout clause for Aymeric Laporte so we don't have to play Jones who is not good enough in my opinion, yes Laporte is expensive but given his age would be a great investment.
    Buying Laporte would be like buying Rio when we did, you pay a lot but over time, you say that was money well spent.
    He plays and does the stuff that Van Gaal wants for a left sided central defender.

Pedro will bring goals and I see his signing meaning we will see less of Young, given Mata brings more goals.

Presuming no Bale, Ronaldo or Muller being for sale....Griezmann has a £43 million buyout clause, creative and is only improving.

Laporte would be just over £35m
    Pedro, lets say £22m
    Griezmann £43 million
    Total £100 million minus Di Maria £44m = £56 million

It would do wonders to strengthen our team and make us a a proper threat to any team.

Pedro was an essential part of Guardiola's Barca, won just about everything you can before he hit 25, and holds an impressive record of scoring in six individual competitions in a season. I'd ay if you look at the Pep Barca era, if your into stats, I'd hazard a guess that he sits behind Messi for assists and possibly goals too.

Pedro is an animal. An important part of Barcalona in his prime years. The only reason he isn't in that team, is because Messi is playing in his position now.

Seriously, GET HYPED

I want to board the train and join the hype machine but I'm not fully confident that we will sign him. :(

full agree. i think he would be a sensational signing. perhaps the most exciting signing since RVP.

Yeah I'm a bit like "what's going on" when I don't see people getting a bit wild. Pedro is a ****ing massive coupe if it comes off.

I'm shocked that Bayern havn't being in there and Pep using the relationship to get him there. And I'm still worried that might happen. No way Pep could say no to an available Pedro.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I want to board the train and join the hype machine but I'm not fully confident that we will sign him. :(

Yeah I can't believe for one second Bayern isn't involved here, and Pep isn't in Pedros ear.

But if Di Maria left and Pedro came in I'd literally help carry Angel's bags for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

One thing that's clear from the friendlies is that Mata-Young out wide with Depay in the middle doesn't really work. Mata and Young are too slow on the wings and Depay doesn't link play well enough. But I'm sure Van Gaal knows that and he's probably just experimenting.

The pace and directness of the second/youth team against Barca was awesome to see and they cut Barca wide open a few times. It was more Fergie-era 'squeaky bum' stuff than the slow methodical approach of late.

• Advertisement

Also watching how badly Rooney did in the preseason and not a striker available wonder how it will be this season.

Will Van Gaal trust Hernandez or try to sign some other not so big name player.

Yeah I'm a bit like "what's going on" when I don't see people getting a bit wild. Pedro is a ****ing massive coupe if it comes off.

maybe Pedro isnt that good on Fifa or football manager, so some people are not that familiar with him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As someone who has been slightly worried at time by my own team's pre-season programme due to not playing enough 'big teams', i wouldn't worry about a loss to PSG, as much as i wouldn't get over-excited by beating Barca.

Liverpool smacked 4 past Dortmund last season.

as these pre-season programmes become more packed every year, I'm learning more and more that it means diddly-squat what the results are (unless they're properly catastrophic). It really is ALL about fitness. New signings can also get a feel for the team maybe, but nothing else.

you'll only know where you're at come the first weekend of the season. and even then (as you'll remember from your 4-1 hammering of Swansea in Moyes' first game), even that can be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm shocked that Bayern havn't being in there and Pep using the relationship to get him there. And I'm still worried that might happen. No way Pep could say no to an available Pedro.

True it would defintely be a massive signing, and great price too.

I myself am not getting too drawn in (might change depending how serious the talk of it gets) because I'm not a fan of him. He's a class player no doubt, but just one I'm not a fan of if that makes sense.

I said similar things about Di Maria, outstanding talent but I just find it hard to describe why I wouldn't be his biggest fan either. Still wanted him to do great for us.

It mightnt make much sense, and is a bit silly on my behave but surely there are class players out there that are undeniabely good but for some reason, sometimes unexplainable, people aren't that fond of them...Please say I'm not the only one :pac:

But I do agree, if we signed Pedro it would be a massive massive buy that would help the team hugely and it is a bit strange seeing people not wanting him to join. Bit "if" though at the moment. Interesting times ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

maybe Pedro isnt that good on Fifa or football manager, so some people are not that familiar with him???

I've seen a few ludicrous posts on various forms like "lol, Barca reject, can't get into their team". :(

haha. Bit harsh, imagine it's down to maybe people not watching a lot of La Liga, or only watching Barca recently or something.
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    True it would defintely be a massive signing, and great price too.

He's a class player no doubt, but just one I'm not a fan of if that makes sense.

Totally understand you. He is a diving ****er, and goes down really easily. Also has that slappable smug look on his face most of the time :D

But that entire Barca team were like that. Hounding referees and feeling massive personal insult when someone had the audacity to tackle them.

He's a tough nut though, and he will cope in the PL fine. Probably get plenty of stick for his antics, but might also be forced out of him. Don't know where Van Gaal stands on diving.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've seen a few ludicrous posts on various forms like "lol, Barca reject, can't get into their team". :(

That's just people who don't watch Barca. A perfect storm has formed for us to potentially snatch a classy player, who is in an unusual situation of the best player in the world being moved into his position.

If being a reject is not getting into the team of Messi, will happily accept him with arms wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not being an automatic starter for Barca is pretty damning though, given that they have so few quality options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

€63m is excellent money. now lets blow it all on Pedro and a striker please.

And a cb!!!

Pedro would be great for us.

I like Young but his major problem is lack of goals, so presuming there are no hitches to a deal I hope Young is sacrificed.
    I then assume Memphis will be move back to left wing, then either Mata or Pedro will be in the right wing or number 10 spot.

Then if we sign someone else for up front - a big name signing. I presume Mata makes way.

Rooney will be given time up front to prove himself and I do think he has to prove himself to Van Gaal and get well over 20 goals or he could be in trouble next summer.

• Advertisement

Totally understand you. He is a diving ****er, and goes down really easily. Also has that slappable smug look on his face most of the time :D

But that entire Barca team were like that. Hounding referees and feeling massive personal insult when someone had the audacity to tackle them.

He's a tough nut though, and he will cope in the PL fine. Probably get plenty of stick for his antics, but might also be forced out of him. Don't know where Van Gaal stands on diving.

Yeah, that's true. Barcelona are a great team of talents but I wouldn't be a big fan of most of their players, Madrid too :pac:! Probably due to most El Classicos turning into diving and complaining marathons where brief spells of stylish football breaks out :pac:.

Heck Ashley Young played well last year but I also wouldn't describe myself as a fan of his. Sometimes your mind makes up decisions whether you like a player based on seeing them diving etc and you remember it for a long time ha.

But I try not let my personal opinion get in the way of judging his talent, and without question he is incredibly talented and would be an awesome addition that would improve the team greatly.

Not being an automatic starter for Barca is pretty damning though, given that they have so few quality options.

But the automatic starters are Messi, Suarez and Neymar. He only becomes automatic if one of them is injured or suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    But the automatic starters are Messi, Suarez and Neymar.

Bluffers the lot of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Refusing to get excited about any signings until I see the player holding the shirt and one of LVG or Ed looking ridiculously smug beside them (no Obi Mikel pics please).

Pedro could easily stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Such a geekish analogy coming up, but I've been re reading Harry Potter, and coming onto this thread reminds me quite a lot of coming in contact with a Dementor.

In general recently I've been very positive and optimistic about all things United, and really looking forward to the new season. But I click onto this thread and all that positivity and happiness is sucked out of me, and it's if I'll never feel those emotions again.

Here's hoping the Adidas deal kicking in on Saturday acts like a patronus, sending United into a mad spending spree and driving all the negativity away.

Spoofers even.

• Advertisement

To be fair to him Barcelona are set up with a 4-3-3 with the absolute quality at FW position.

He was used for most matches be it starting or coming on as a sub but his competition for the FW/WG roles were Neymar, Messi and Suarez. Not surprising he wasn't automatic starter and not worrying either.

I just missed the sarcasm of Maximus Alexander post....:o

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Refusing to get excited about any signings until I see the player holding the shirt and one of LVG or Ed looking ridiculously smug beside them (no Obi Mikel pics please).

Pedro could easily stay.

OK. Challenge accepted.

ljajic1.jpg
    1248760228866_f.jpg

FutureGuy wrote: »

Pedro could easily stay.

356773.jpg

RobertKK wrote: »
    I just missed the sarcasm of Maximus Alexander post....:o

There's a small chance that I am too sarcastic too often.

• Advertisement

Once again I end up with egg on my face :o

Jones seems to be getting an awful lot of stick today after last night in all forms of media, forums, twitter and everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Here's hoping the Adidas deal kicking in on Saturday acts like a patronus, sending United into a mad spending spree and driving all the negativity away.

That'll do me.

EverythingOn! :)

A 4-2-3-1 like Pro.F outlined with

Rooney
    -Depay---Mata----Pedro
    ---Schweini----Schneider---

Would be disgusting.

also noticed no comment on Ibrahimovic cryptic as **** "my next move will be a big surprise".

Conspiracy theorists ahoy. Di Maria deal subject to PSG releasing Ibra the other way? :D

Yes, one would want to be alert when posting so not to look stupid...like I was :pac:

Jones seems to be getting an awful lot of stick today after last night in all forms of media, forums, twitter and everywhere else.

Please leave any criticism of my boy out of this thread. I think I will photoshop some inspirational photos of Phil leading us out to battle this week.

which would people rather -

a - Muller
    or
    b - Pedro and Cavani

baring in mind, the cost would be roughly the same perhaps (about €80m)

a - Muller
    or
    b - Pedro and Cavani

Pedro and Cavani.

We need striker and Muller can't lead the line.

a - Muller
    or
    b - Pedro and Cavani

Pedro and CavanI for sure, I think it would do more to even out the weaknesses in the team.

Not that I especially want Cavani, but if those are the options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Cavani would be an atrocious signing. He's not the same player that was at Napoli. He'll also struggle massively with pace in the PL.

• Advertisement

Me too, can't understand it. The logic is all over the place.

Me too, can't understand it. The logic is all over the place.

In general, I find logic goes out the window when it comes to football fandom :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I really wouldn't like Cavani either. Pedro would be great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

glued wrote: »
    Cavani would be an atrocious signing. He's not the same player that was at Napoli. He'll also struggle massively with pace in the PL.

Heskey would be an atrocious signing. Cavani would be a class signing

Pedro and Cavani for me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

A 4-2-3-1 like Pro.F outlined with

Rooney
    -Depay---Mata----Pedro
    ---Schweini----Schneider---

Would be disgusting.

also noticed no comment on Ibrahimovic cryptic as **** "my next move will be a big surprise".

Conspiracy theorists ahoy. Di Maria deal subject to PSG releasing Ibra the other way? :D

T.Silva + Zlatan = ADM?;)

Seriously though, I have been surprised the papers haven't been coming up with more mythical swap deals between PSG & Utd than just the Cavani stories.

a - Muller
    or
    b - Pedro and Cavani

That's a really good one.

I love Muller and think he would be incredible.

I'd probably spring for option B, as Pedro is an immense player, coupled with Cavani would be another good addition. Put that as Pedro + Zlatan and it's a no brainer for me :D

*All of which assumes form is captured and basing just on the choice above.

We need to stop the missing poster reposts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Il ask again, will Pedro unlock a parked bus ?

Thats my only worry, great in front of goal and good in possession but will he win matches on his own ?

• Advertisement

a - Muller
    or
    b - Pedro and Cavani

If anyone has seen my posts about Muller before they will know I am a massive, massive fan. But given that option I'd go with B all day long.

Now whether it is a possibility is one thing but Pedro and Cavani addition would bring a lot to our team, and as good as Muller is it would benefit our team a lot more bringing in the others rather than just him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement