Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

beno619 wrote: »
    Il ask again, will Pedro unlock a parked bus ?

yes i think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thats my only worry, great in front of goal and good in possession but will he win matches on his own ?

Yes he will.

He is technically proficient with his passing and eye for a pass(recent example was his sliding through ball for Suarez disallowed goal) but he has a great trait of knowing how to create space for others, and attack space.

He was a critical part of Pep's Barca front 3, who by all accounts were trying to break down parked buses every week in La Liga and the CL. He'd be good like Mata is at the forming triangle and quick one twos and stuff, but he has the added benefit of being able to beat a man one v one, and if he gets to stretch his legs he has pace to burn, so dangerous on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    We need to stop the missing poster reposts

Yeah ffs lads let's concentrate our energies on finding out who's hand it is in the vine instead..

Being serious, I'd have B too, really like Pedro as a player.. the only problem with those two would be Cavani is known for his moaning at PSG for being second fiddle to Zlatan.. would he put up with the same with Rooney.

Muller is the Ideal signing if we had kept Dimaria but the need to replace ADM and get a back up striker is far greater than the need for Muller atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Thats my only worry, great in front of goal and good in possession but will he win matches on his own ?

I wouldn't look at that reasoning on whether or not he would be a good signing. Rather:

A. Would he improve our team?

The answer to that is undoubtely yes.

B. Is he what we need?

If ADM is on his way then without question he's what we would need.

C. Is he a reasonably price?

Crazy reasonable!

He is a world class player who if he was to play with us alongside Depay and Rooney would no doubt be a huge threat for scoring and setting up goals.

I don't see how and why we could ask "will he win matches on his own?" when deciding whether or not to buy him. If he's available we should pounce on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

like Ronaldo and Messi? No he wont

will he make space for Mata in the no10 role and create opportunities for Rooney? yes he will.

Will he score goals and make assists for the team? yes he will

• Advertisement

Appears Ramos contract extension has been confirmed.

club need to stop getting suckered into these situations.

bangkok wrote: »
    like Ronaldo and Messi? No he wont

will he make space for Mata in the no10 role and create opportunities for Rooney? yes he will.

Will he score goals and make assists for the team? yes he will

will he be a fisherman

YES HE WILL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Don't understand this. The only way to avoid this situation would be to not go in for players. United can't control Ramos or force him to move, if he wants to stay at Real and he ans his agent talk a good game then he's going to get a better contract as a biproduct of interest from a club like United. There's not really a way around that.

It's only a problem if United can't multitask.

From United website

Van Gaal confirms preferred formation

Louis van Gaal has confirmed he intends to use a 4-3-3 formation with Manchester United in the new Barclays Premier League season.

The Reds appeared to operate with a system resembling 4-2-3-1 on Tour 2015 presented by Aon as Memphis Depay performed in a no.10 role behind centre-forward Wayne Rooney with Ashley Young and Juan Mata on the flanks. However, it would seem from the manager's latest comments that he sees the position occupied in pre-season by his fellow Dutchman as being part of the midfield three.

"That the midfielder is [sometimes] in front of the striker is not bad because I think you do need variation in your attack," said van Gaal, in a press conference following the final tour match against PSG.

"I like that and I ask for that, especially from Memphis. It can also be Carrick or Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin once in a while but mostly Memphis. It depends on our opponents."

When asked which formation he will deploy in the Barclays Premier League, van Gaal replied: "More or less 4-3-3. We played that already last season, in the second half of the season, and I have said that is the system I want to use. We played in our shape [on tour] and played how we have to play. That's also where I have been very satisfied.”

From a tactical perspective, the key is probably the attacking central midfield position where Memphis, Adnan Januzaj and Andreas Pereira were stationed at various times in the United States. There could also be an opportunity for Juan Mata or Ander Herrera to prove their suitability to play alongside more defensive-minded colleagues such as Michael Carrick, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin.

Memphis, who is also a candidate for the wider roles in the front three, has been entrusted with the job in each of the four starting line-ups in the US and could be considered the favourite to start there against Tottenham.

Don't understand this. The only way to avoid this situation would be to not go in for players. United can't control Ramos or force him to move, if he wants to stay at Real and he ans his agent talk a good game then he's going to get a better contract as a biproduct of interest from a club like United. There's not really a way around that.

It's only a problem if United can't multitask.

Well yeah there is. Putting a deadline on this stuff. I appreciate there needs to be time given and things change, but these sagas being dragged on so long does no one any use.

the only scenario where what has happened with Ramos was fine, is if we had no intention of getting a CB and it just so happens he became available. And he is obvious quality, so there is no time pressure.

So maybe we never wanted a CB, and then this is totally fine.

But Woodward and Van Gaal were pretty clear in that targets would be sought after, and deadlines put in place.

When big players start to make some noise, and use media outlets and other avenues to push stories about wanting to move to United, Woodward and the boys need to be crystal clear.

Initial negotiation period, if its not happening, and the player is using his back channels to still instigate he wants to move. Then fine, get in touch, deadline to make a public comment or plea about moving. If a player really wants to move, they won't mind burning bridges with their fans a bit.

I believe this is what was reported as what Woodward wanted, since its a good indication a player is serious about a move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

how exactly? most players do it.

Roy Keane used Bayern Munich to get a better contract off United.

Wayne Rooney used Man City to get himself a better contract.

It cannot be controlled. Its a game of poker really.

Toni Kroos wanted a better contract at Bayern, they called his bluff but he wasn't bluffing, he ended up moving to Real Madrid.

That's football

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The problem with Ramos was Real Madrid caved in.
    He was on €6 million or so after tax, United were offering €11 million after tax.
    Real Madrid decided they couldn't afford to lose to lose him.
    Offered him €8.5 million, plus 0.5 million if he stays a certain length of time, then a €1 million bonus for any titles they win.
    So he basically got what he wanted after Real Madrid had said they would not pay him more, one can say he used United, and he did as he took an inferior deal to stay at Madrid.
    Be nice to meet Real Madrid if we made the CL and beat them...and Ramos sent off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

From United website

LvG talking about Memphis as a No. 10 and part of the midfield three basically nails Pedro on to sign and a new deal for Young otherwise we've zero width to play as part of the front three in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

ADM is not fit to lace the boots of the various iconic No.7's in UTD.'s history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Cavani gets a raw deal in here. He's been pushed out wide at PSG to play second fiddle to Zlatan and his game has suffered as a result.

He could do very well for us up front. It would be a very exciting signing if it happened, more so than Pedro who I think is getting slightly overpraised, not by much, just a little, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Why wont United managers play players in their proper positions, I feel like we've only seen a fraction of what Mata is capable of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Giggsy11 wrote: »

have a feeling that Rojo wont be seeing much action on the pitch for the foreseeable future, cant imagine LVG is too happy with him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

have a feeling that Rojo wont be seeing much action on the pitch for the foreseeable future, cant imagine LVG is too happy with him right now.

Why can't we ever have an Argentinian who plays well and doesn't bring drama?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wonder was the issue just getting in to America? By all means Rojo was at the airport as planned but had issues coz of that court case he had. Not a lot he can do about that.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I wonder was the issue just getting in to America? By all means Rojo was at the airport as planned but had issues coz of that court case he had. Not a lot he can do about that.

should that not all be sorted out before he travels, i.e. he has to do a Visa application and all that jazz?

other reports say his passport is almost expired and certain countries have a 2-6 months expiry rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mars Bar wrote: »

I read that he forgot to renew his passport.

should that not all be sorted out before he travels, i.e. he has to do a Visa application and all that jazz?

other reports say his passport is almost expired and certain countries have a 2-6 months expiry rule.

seems to be two conflicting reports.

One was his passport was expired (lul wat)
    The other was that he was denied initial pass through customs due to some legal issue that occurred a while back, and it made him miss the flight.

Either or he missed pre-season, so wont factor for Van Gaal for a few weeks until he builds the infamous "match rhythm"

Was also under the impression most big clubs have admin staff that sort out the passports and logistics for the teams travelling, so if anyone had passport issues like expiries it would be flagged early and sorted with the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

seems to be two conflicting reports.

One was his passport was expired (lul wat)
    The other was that he was denied initial pass through customs due to some legal issue that occurred a while back, and it made him miss the flight.

Either or he missed pre-season, so wont factor for Van Gaal for a few weeks until he builds the infamous "match rhythm"

Was also under the impression most big clubs have admin staff that sort out the passports and logistics for the teams travelling, so if anyone had passport issues like expiries it would be flagged early and sorted with the player.

Yep it looks like it will have been a club admin feck up as well.

The employer should be sorting that out tbf

Argentina are one of the countries exempt from the 6month expiry rule. The passport just has to be valid for the duration of the stay.

The only things that I could think of with Rojo and his passport would be failure to pass US immigration in the airport due to the court case. This could have been overlooked by whoever was sorting the visa for him. The other would be that the US are very strict with regards to having a full page free for the immigration stamp. Might not have had one free..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

astradave wrote: »
    Argentina are one of the countries exempt from the 6month expiry rule. The passport just has to be valid for the duration of the stay.

The only things that I could think of with Rojo and his passport would be failure to pass US immigration in the airport due to the ongoing court case. This could have been overlooked by whoever was sorting the visa for him. The other would be that the US are very strict with regards to having a full page free for the immigration stamp. Might not have had one free..

That's not true. They're more than happy to stamp the free bits of space on mine.

That's not true. They're more than happy to stamp the free bits of space on mine.

Told us last year that it was essential as mine was running out of places to be stamped. Well for some eh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Rojo isnt the first and wont be the last randomly denied entry to the US!

whats the ongoing court case?

• Advertisement

whats the ongoing court case?

Sorry, should not have said ongoing.. was to do with the court case that he settled earlier this year I was thinking of.. basically he was charged with "assault with a deadly weapon"(it's named differently in Argentina) so that could have have implications on his visa application. Especially if whoever applied filled in that he has never been charged with any offence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

astradave wrote: »
    Argentina are one of the countries exempt from the 6month expiry rule. The passport just has to be valid for the duration of the stay

That's not true, I was in Argentina myself last month and had to call the embassy to confirm this as my passport had less than 6 months on it. They said it needed to be valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure.

That's not true, I was in Argentina myself last month and had to call the embassy to confirm this as my passport had less than 6 months on it. They said it needed to be valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure.

Where you traveling between Ireland and argentina?

Rojo was due to travel between Argentina and US. Different set of rules

http://i.imgur.com/9yOdCdh.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I think he meant leaving Argentina for the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Hide and seek taken to a world wide level

Hide and seek taken to a world wide level

From Reddit...
    We should just ask Scholesy to pass to him. Job done, there he is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ogden reporting that PSG upped their offer from £28.5m to £45m and that DiMaria will be a PSG player shortly. Also saying that Pedro has already told friends and family he's off to United, and the figure there is £22m.

Though a lot of it comes across as repeating whats already out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ogden reporting that PSG upped their offer from £28.5m to £45m and that DiMaria will be a PSG player shortly. Also saying that Pedro has already told friends and family he's off to United, and the figure there is £22m.

Weird bidding process.

"They refused our first bid."

"Bid £16 million more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As much as I didn't want Di Maria to go, and was (apparently incorrectly) vocal about how ridiculous the prospect seemed at the start of the summer, the bolded would be great business.

Odgen hasn't a clue and has realised how stupid he looks by saying the bid was 28m. He's reading what all the French places are reporting and suddenly coming to the same conclusion himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

J. Marston wrote: »
    Weird bidding process.

"They refused our first bid."

"Bid £16 million more."

Always works in FM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It looks like Pereira will get a lot more game time than the very small bit he got last season. He could be like a new signing for us this season.
    Liked what I saw of him pre-season.

Januzaj as a striker, I am putting this for being one of the good surprises for the season. I have far more faith in him than I do of Wilson.

Lingard will score more goals than Young, Young has himself handicapped with his lack of goals, Lingard I feel can contribute a lot to United in games where we might be resting some players before a big game (assuming we get into group stages of CL).

Darmian, love him, looks so composed when defending, so far none of the rashness than we saw from Rafael, and looks equally as good when he gets into an attacking position. At the moment one of my favourite signings this summer.

LVG said we need two positions to be improved earlier in the tour, at least two signings, presume we still want a CB given we wanted Ramos Otamendi would be ideal, but also Laporte as an alternative to the Argentine.
    Then Pedro is filling another position, still think we will look for another striker.
    Wilson was played wide so not counting him, not good enough at the moment scoring wise, but maybe that will change as his body matures.
    I just hope we get Pedro ASAP and have him for the Spurs game.
    We need a top tier CB and I will feel a lot more confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

That is good business from our part if true :D

Didn't he have visa issues? Not sure what else he could have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pedro is such an underwhelming signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

That is good business from our part if true :D

I think financially we've done fantastic business so far if these 2 deals happen. 6 decent players in and a net spend of probably less than €50m. With 100m left I'd be paying Laporte's break clause and splashing the rest on a striker. Would leave us in a superb position - squad rebuild pretty much done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

One thing the PSG game taught me is that we're probably going to have the slowest midfield in the history of world football unless Herrera starts, which he isn't going to again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    Pedro is such an underwhelming signing.

Some people thought the same about darmian too and he looks like a good one so far.
    At the end of the day id prefer someone od pedros level thst wants to play for united then someone like di maria that wants out.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Jayop wrote: »
    One thing the PSG game taught me is that we're probably going to have the slowest midfield in the history of world football unless Herrera starts, which he isn't going to again.

Depends what formation we play imo. If we play two holding midfielders, I think they can afford to be slow. Chelsea got on alright with fabregas, matic and obi mikel in those positions, they're not exactly quick. I'd say schneiderlin is faster than all them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

Anyone any interest in some old Utd games in VHS? Most of them are from the 90's.

Fa cup finals and big premier league games. There's a few season reviews there as well.

Let me know if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Place seems a bit down lately, between the psg loss, lvgs quotes after the match and stuff.
    I honestly think we're a world class CB away from winning the league.

Choo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement