Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The thing is the club are spending large amounts of money to make up for the lack of signing the right quality for too many years.

I think this transfer window will be the last window where we will have to spend very high, and then it becomes a case of maintaining quality with quality buys.
    So the club can afford to spend lots, in the knowledge they will have peaked with needing to spend.
    At the moment we need to spend, in future years just to maintain or buy because a big name is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Please explain how.

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not going to be spending much time debating simple economics in here, especially not when this discussion has been had plenty of times before.

Suffice to say that resources are finite, anybody who truly believes that we have a bottomless pit of cash to pursue some galactico transfer policy is very wrong in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Does anyone here know anything about Darmian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I hope this point doesn't get repeated over and over in here. Would we ever have paid an equivalent price for Miroslav Klose?

Well would haves and what ifs aren't much help here. Obviously different periods in football have different prices for players due to the obvious increase in income from the sport and ability to spend more.

If you're talking about buying Klose when he was 25 which would have been roughly after the 2002 world cup after scoring 5-6 goals and a sought after player. If I remember right he saw out his contract with *cant remember german team* before moving to werder bremen for around 8million or so.

But if you took him at the level he was at now, and a contract that wasn't running out until 2019 (like muller) and also compare it with the level that is being paid for players at these times (over a decade past) then I would imagine yes if we we're to buy him we would be paying a similar price.

As I have stated already though this is kind of pointless comparing too players cost from different eras where prices were completely different. In todays market for a world class player with 4 years left in his contract a price of €80mil doesnt sound crazy at all if you ask me. When Bale goes for €100million, Suarez €94 million, Ronaldo €94 million, Rodriguez €80million, Di Maria €75 million, I woul argue that whether or not the price stated is true €80 million for Muller would not be the craziest thing in the world.

But again as I stated I don't see it happening.

EDIT: Also you only really highlighted the point about Mullers goalscoring record in the world cup that I had in my post, as if that was the only reason I feel he would command a huge price, I also mentioned his consistent performances for Bayern throughout his career, and his contribution to the team in both his play, goals and assists despite him playing in a range of positions and not solely as a CF. (only played half his games as a CF like I stated).

Adamocovic wrote: »
    As I have stated already though this is kind of pointless comparing too players cost from different eras where prices were completely different. In todays market for a world class player with 4 years left in his contract a price of €80mil doesnt sound crazy at all if you ask me. When Bale goes for €100million, Suarez €94 million, Ronaldo €94 million, Rodriguez €80million, Di Maria €75 million, I woul argue that whether or not the price stated is true €80 million for Muller would not be the craziest thing in the world.

We have very different opinions then. You look at those prices and say "why not", I look at them and think "Why make that mistake again?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Love the fact that people here think United have no idea what they are doing when it comes to money.

People moaning about paying too much or bidding too little. I think the men and women in Uniteds board room know exactly what they are doing when it comes to money.

You are a consumer and Manchester United is a business. Were you bothered by the amount Facebook paid for WhatsApp? Were you bothered by the amount Disney paid for Pixar?

If United want to buy Muller i'm on board at any price. I really don't care as long as he is in a United shirt winning games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Other than the fact he's a big fan of mushy peas and coronation street..very little.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not going to be spending much time debating simple economics in here, especially not when this discussion has been had plenty of times before.

Suffice to say that resources are finite, anybody who truly believes that we have a bottomless pit of cash to pursue some galactico transfer policy is very wrong in my opinion.

If were actually were spunking cash everywhere you might have a point but we're not. We wouldn't meet Torino's €20m price for Darmian, we haven't met Southampton's £25m price for Schneiderlan. We didn't spend a huge amount on Depay.
    When it comes to huge world class stars though you have to spend the money. We'll never get back to the heights of 1999 or 2008 again if we don't have the best players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Depay and (possibly) Darmian. I really don't know. It seems to be UTD are settling for their 2nd or 3rd choice on transfer market as the tops names are not interested.

Hope, I am wrong and these players are excellent for us.

If were actually were spunking cash everywhere you might have a point but we're not.

Di Maria?

Regardless, I'm simply stating my opinion on a transfer rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

GSPfan wrote: »
    Love the fact that people here think United have no idea what they are doing when it comes to money.

People moaning about paying too much or bidding too little. I think the men and women in Uniteds board room know exactly what they are doing when it comes to money.

You are a consumer and Manchester United is a business. Were you bothered by the amount Facebook paid for WhatsApp? Were you bothered by the amount Disney paid for Pixar?

If United want to buy Muller i'm on board at any price. I really don't care as long as he is in a United shirt winning games.

A lot of armchair accountants and economists in the world, but that's part of the fun in supporting a team. Ultimately though, yes it's pretty stupid to have us even talking about finances because United will have several much more qualified people doing that full time as their job.

Whoever said Muller is just a good player and not top 5 is being very harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

py2006 wrote: »
    Depay and (possibly) Darmian. I really don't know. It seems to be UTD are settling for their 2nd or 3rd choice on transfer market as the tops names are not interested.

Eh?

Ah no. Depay is possibly a future star. And Darmian by all accounts is a decent player in a position that we have struggled with since Gary Neville retired.

Darmian may not light the world on fire but Depay has every chance of doing it.

When we buy Ramos, Otamendi, Muller and Bale you'll be happy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We have very different opinions then. You look at those prices and say "why not", I look at them and think "Why make that mistake again?".

why look at the price at all, really, though?

Look at the player - decide if you think the player will improve United or not, if he is likely to perform or not - and make a decision on whether you think we should sign him based almost solely on that. Sure, price can come in to it in terms of risk assessment but your arguement really does seem to be "We wasted money before so lets not spend that amount again".

We bough Bebe for 8million, better not sign a player for 8million again?

Di Maria?

Regardless, I'm simply stating my opinion on a transfer rumour.

One player of 6 signed last summer. Falcao was on loan. Blind and Rojo were less than £20m. Shaw and Herrera around £30m. Di Maria may have been poor, but when signed, after the season he'd just had the price was about right. Utd could afford it and still made a profit last season despite not being in Europe.

When we buy Ramos, Otamendi, Muller and Bale you'll be happy. :)

Hope you are right about Depay. I just thought when we signed him he would be another Falcao.

Don't particular think Bale would be right with his fondness for injurys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Adamocovic wrote: »
    We'll Muller plays most of his football for Bayern out wide rather than in the main striker role but I would definetely rank in the top ten without hesitation. His goal scoring ability, goal creating ability, control on the ball and determination are brilliant. He's still only 25, has performed consistently during his entire career.

25 years old and already has 10 world cup goals (ranked in the top ten all time world cup scorers) and only 6 from beating the record and ranked 7th in Bayerns all time scorers with over 100 goals. All this from a guy who most of the time is played as a wide forward or attacking midfielder, or supporting forward rather than the main centre forward. He is definetely world class and would be an absolute gem of a player to get.

It won't happen this window, can't see it anyway, but out of curiousity who would you name in your top ten forwards currently playing? I'd have a spot for Muller there in mine, not just for his goal scoring but his overall play and impact, plus the fact at 25 he still could just get better and better.

EDIT: Also interesting stat for last season, he played 42 games, scored 20 goals and 13 assists. In those 42 games he played 21 as CF (previous seasons have been around 12).
    In those 21 games as CF he got 13 goals and 7 assists, the rest of the games were spread around AMC,FWR,MC and one game as LM.

He is a very good player just not €82m good imo.

top ten forwards in no particular order

Ronaldo
    Messi
    Benzema
    Suarez
    Neymar
    Bale
    Aguero
    Rooney
    Robben
    Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

bangkok wrote:
    Ronaldo Messi Benzema Suarez Neymar Bale Aguero Rooney Robben Hazard

bangkok wrote:

bangkok wrote:

No Ibra 😛

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    No Ibra 😛

yea he would be 11, sanchez 12, tevez 13, Muller 14 :)

Hope you are right about Depay. I just thought when we signed him he would be another Falcao.

How on earth would you think that? Depay is 21 and is one of the most wanted young players in Europe who we took from under the noses if PSG.
    Falcao was 28, had just missed a year of football through injury, and nobody else seemed to want him.

What makes you think Depay was a second or third choice target? Has all the hallmarks of a priority target, imo.

As for Darmian - if he was second choice he appears to be second choice to Alves; and i'm not unhappy about how it may turn out. Potential to be a much longer term solution at right back.

You could be right, that we are now going for second/third choice as we can't get the first choice, but i'm not particularly bothered about that myself, as long as the players we do get in are sufficienetly talented.

Will certainly be interesting to review the squad in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

while i think hes a great player is muller not more of a striker? i.e. would he not be as competition to rooney? i'd rather keep di maria who for me is a starter once he gets his head straight than sign muller and play him on the wing.
    i know di maria wasnt a starter at the end of the season but id imagine he would be come next season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

I couldn't believe Depay was not a first choice target considering we apparently signed him early to avoid him going elsewhere.

If you asked me now would i swap DiMaria for Muller Id say yes.

Muller and Depay either side of Rooney would be amazing.

Muller leading the line when Rooney is injured or dropped into midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Yeah, he plays for Man Utd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

bangkok wrote: »

Ronaldo
    Messi
    Benzema
    Suarez
    Neymar
    Bale
    Aguero
    Rooney
    Robben
    Hazard

Benzema and Rooney ahead of muller?? Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So it's 18Million Euros + 2 Million add ons (13-14 Million pounds) and wages of 2 Million Euros net which is around 55K pounds per week (gross that's how it is reported in UK).

Also we reached agreement with him 4 months ago and not a word in media. Excellent business and wages is even amazing considering Januzaj is around close to that mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So it's 18Million Euros + 2 Million add ons (13-14 Million pounds) and wages of 2 Million Euros net which is around 55K pounds per week (gross that's how it is reported in UK).

Also we reached agreement with him 4 months ago and not a word in media. Excellent business and wages is even amazing considering Januzaj is around close to that mark.

What agreement 4 months ago? Have you got a source?

Januzaj doesn't deserve those wages imo

If you asked me now would i swap DiMaria for Muller Id say yes.

Muller and Depay either side of Rooney would be amazing.

Muller leading the line when Rooney is injured or dropped into midfield.

maybe i dont know enough about muller but are we not there doing what we did with rooney when we had himself ronaldo and tevez where rooney was played out of position on the wing?

How on earth would you think that? Depay is 21 and is one of the most wanted young players in Europe who we took from under the noses if PSG.
    Falcao was 28, had just missed a year of football through injury, and nobody else seemed to want him.

I meant in terms of disappointment. I'm such a pessimist these days lol

• Advertisement

Benzema and Rooney ahead of muller?? Outrageous.

rooney has scored 100 goals more in a much tougher league and Benzema has scored nearly 100 goals more than muller as well, older players yes, but hardly outrageous

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Assuming he works out - an excellent piece of business alright. Would, seemingly, show work being done on backup targets over a prolonged period as I still reckon Alves was a target for right back. Good strategy. Would also explain the calmness over not getting involved with Clyne, the club had made its choice.

Would also back up Homer's mate saying he'd be shocked if there was any interest in Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Who is this Omid Zamani and why are we believing him so much?

I meant in terms of disappointment. I'm such a pessimist these days lol

The fact that we signed Depay before the season was over to stop him joining anyone else should have made it quite obvious that he was one of the priority targets. Don't know how you were disappointed with it.

• Advertisement

The fact that we signed Depay before the season was over to stop him joining anyone else should have made it quite obvious that he was one of the priority targets. Don't know how you were disappointed with it.

I think it was because some people were expecting big name signings and this came out of the blue (to me anyway) and I never heard of him. Lets hope he is a fantastic signing and adapts quicker than Di Maria and Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He translates DiMarzio tweets and articles for English speakers. Dimarzio would be one of the most reliable with Italian league and player transfers

Trilla wrote: »
    What agreement 4 months ago? Have you got a source?

Januzaj doesn't deserve those wages imo

https://twitter.com/OmldZamani/status/618725076767232000

He is not source for any news. He just translates Italian articles to English. He reposts whatever is posted by SkyItalia and also DiMarzio who is as good as it gets for Italian news.

Google translate of Di Marizio site.
    The grenade to red, that of the red devils. Matteo Darmian is ready to greet Turin and Torino, after four seasons important, and vital to its growth. Now it is time the big jump, with the Manchester United ready to welcome him at Old Trafford. Agreement with the Turin found on the basis of 18 million plus 2 bonus. Negotiations to detail, with the solidarity contribution and the method of payment to be determined, but it should be set to 5% in Milan , a figure of around EUR 400 thousand expected because the Rossoneri have grown from football player. Darmian is ready to sign a four-year contract: 1.8000000 to 2,000,000 procuring expected. Everything is ready, then, for the official announcement which should arrive tomorrow. Lawyers are working to draw up contracts and resolve the last bureaucratic and formal. The future of Darmian is now written, Manchester United will be his new team.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/darmian-al-manchester-united-manca-davvero-poco-tutti-i-dettagli-delloperazione/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Appears the news conference to unveil Depay tomorrow was well timed ;)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Appears the news conference to unveil Depay tomorrow was well timed ;)
    "we are here to unveil depay
    also these players"
    and darmain, schneiderlin, otemendi and ramos all walk from behind the stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

magnumbud wrote: »
    "we are here to unveil depay
    also these players"
    and darmain, schneiderlin, otemendi and ramos all walk from behind the stage :pac:

That would break the internet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    Appears the news conference to unveil Depay Friday was well timed ;)

FYP

I think you have lost a day in all the excitement :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Someone gimme the low-down on Darmian - Is he/isn't he?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Someone gimme the low-down on Darmian - Is he/isn't he?

extremely fast.....check
    attack minded.....check
    positionally aware....check
    good delivery.......check
    tall......check

good player......yes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement