Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

He can play left back as well if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

That would break the internet :D

its all very WWE :P the final nail is De Gea signing a new 5 year contract :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Trond wrote: »

yea but he wont. Shaw on the left, Darmian on the right is an exciting prospect, we will have good width to the team and good balance to the team as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭paulbok

magnumbud wrote: »

It would be WWE then,
    Wet Wipes for Everyone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Trond wrote: »

D667E52D57D7410CB12489CC6385F806.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,217,1763,2502

32A073749523480FB0A70BBDDEA3CB6E.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,276,1763,2561

A14B37603A6F49E9B9F7341DEB7E2F55.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,158,1763,2444

Not needed. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Nope final nail is our ladies team being introduced and free b*****bs for all boardsies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

ddg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

maybe i dont know enough about muller but are we not there doing what we did with rooney when we had himself ronaldo and tevez where rooney was played out of position on the wing?

Yes Muller is fantastic as a striker but he is very good out wide too.

Rooney is quite terrible out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Muller is fantastic and definitely isn't an out and out striker who would be wasted elsewhere.

• Advertisement

D667E52D57D7410CB12489CC6385F806.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,217,1763,2502

32A073749523480FB0A70BBDDEA3CB6E.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,276,1763,2561

A14B37603A6F49E9B9F7341DEB7E2F55.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,158,1763,2444

Not needed. :P

04E7225698664DE09E981D3004A87740.ashx?w=240&h=311&rgn=0,193,1763,2479

JonnyEvans_1372767a.jpg

yep def not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Can someone chuck up the squawka stats comparison with Valencia and Darmian, I expect that Darmian will have miles better stats.

Can someone chuck up the squawka stats comparison with Valencia and Darmian, I expect that Darmian will have miles better stats.

no point really. Darmian played with a mid table Italian team. Valencia played out of position for a top 4 side in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure, price can come in to it in terms of risk assessment but your arguement really does seem to be "We wasted money before so lets not spend that amount again".

No, the argument is "We wasted money before so lets not waste money again".

The amount is relative. For example, I would perhaps spend €82m on Bale, who is probably just as attainable as Muller (ie: not very) and who addresses our needs better with in my opinion a much higher likelihood of success. But outside of Bale I think we would be far better served going for the likes of Depay, a lot cheaper and just as likely to produce for us.

I don't think Muller is in that category of top player, and personally the goal stats listed earlier don't impress me too much. Consistent they may be but averaging 13 goals a season isn't world class as far as I'm concerned, and certainly not worth €82m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

This will be Brinty when signings are announced and the bewbs are in full flow :pac:

34e62638fcabf33befe2a73ae7b50a40.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also if this deal is done then huge credit to Woodward and management team. Not a word from English media about our 2 signings, they were playing guessing game and the negotiations were done without much fuss.

Depay and Darmian, both deals were first reproted by Dutch and Italian media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Credit to Woody? NOPE, he's a clown, better suited to commercial deals and noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Seems to be a downgrade.

This is the time were a comparison won't work. According to who scored he's played the majority of last season in at DM.

I've no idea if he's good or not and a lot of people seem to rate him very highly however I wonder how much these people have seen of him.

A couple of games for Italy last year is all I've seen and I don't particularly remember him standing out. I'm very happy though to get another player in the door. Schneiderlin and Otamendi/Ramos before the tour and we will be in gifsville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭KH25

The way I look at it is we're signing an actuall RB and won't have to rely on a winger to fill a gap any more.

Seems to be a downgrade.

Sometimes we have to see beyond stats. I have no idea how good Darmian is but positional **** ups are not recorded in stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Credit to Woody? NOPE, he's a clown, better suited to commercial deals and noodles.

Wait til Ed's fanbois get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

We have very different opinions then. You look at those prices and say "why not", I look at them and think "Why make that mistake again?".

I agree we have different opinions but I'm not looking at them and just thinking "why not?". The increase of prices for the best players in the world is due to the fact that football is so profitable now teams can afford to pay way more money on players. Like everything in the world with time prices and valuations change.

What do you mean by "Why make this mistake again?"?. Are you referring to Di Maria, he's only been here one season. Is it not a bit soon to call it a mistake? Even so there's no point looking at a player who did not do well and say "Well we paid X amount for him and look what happened, no point making that mistake again"

As people can give out about how much players are worth now it's just a result of inflation in the football industry, and unless salary caps and transfer cost caps are introduced there's no point giving out about the current valuation for the top tier players with long contracts to buy out.
    bangkok wrote: »
    He is a very good player just not €82m good imo.

top ten forwards in no particular order

Ronaldo
    Messi
    Benzema
    Suarez
    Neymar
    Bale
    Aguero
    Rooney
    Robben
    Hazard

It's all to do with opinion here and it is similar to the list I would use (except for Muller :P).

Personally, and I know it's just my opinion and many disagree, if I had a choice of all of the above, with Muller included (rooney not since he is already here), I would want Muller in our team over Robben, Benzema, Bale and possibly even Suarez. And I know people will disagree with this and I'm not saying these players aren't world class just if I was giving the option of one of them or Muller I'd choose Muller. You can call my blinding or biased but I think he's proven he's can perform brilliantly even when his season is split into playing in 3-4 different positions, mentally I think he's very tough too, shows great passion and has awesome ability.

And now I feel sad as it is EXTREMELY unlikely he will join us.

Also (sorry for long post), has the club said anything on Darmian or just twitter and papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

duffman13 wrote: »
    This is the time were a comparison won't work. According to who scored he's played the majority of last season in at DM.

I've no idea if he's good or not and a lot of people seem to rate him very highly however I wonder how much these people have seen of him.

A couple of games for Italy last year is all I've seen and I don't particularly remember him standing out. I'm very happy though to get another player in the door. Schneiderlin and Otamendi/Ramos before the tour and we will be in gifsville

I think I remember him punishing Englands left side in the WC, but I also remember thinking it was cause Baines was being isolated defensively 2 vs 1 against whomever the wide player was and Darmian. Not saying it is a performance that stood out massively (as in we have to buy that guy!!) but I'm fairly sure it is the only time I'd have watched him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think I remember him punishing Englands left side in the WC, but I also remember thinking it was cause Baines was being isolated defensively 2 vs 1 against whomever the wide player was and Darmian. Not saying it is a performance that stood out massively (as in we have to buy that guy!!) but I'm fairly sure it is the only time I'd have watched him at all.

Same boat as me so, has anyone seen him play right back for his club? Anyone got a link to a good player profile or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

No, the argument is "We wasted money before so lets not waste money again".

The amount is relative. For example, I would perhaps spend €82m on Bale, who is probably just as attainable as Muller (ie: not very) and who addresses our needs better with in my opinion a much higher likelihood of success. But outside of Bale I think we would be far better served going for the likes of Depay, a lot cheaper and just as likely to produce for us.

I don't think Muller is in that category of top player, and personally the goal stats listed earlier don't impress me too much. Consistent they may be but averaging 13 goals a season isn't world class as far as I'm concerned, and certainly not worth €82m.

Well the 13 goals a season was in Bundesliga, and 10 assists, where he normally plays 10 games a season in CF and then games at CAM, RM, RWF, even LM and CM.

To be so consistent while playing in a huge amount of positions is extremely impressive. BUt stats are stats and the way he plays is important too. I've rarely see him have a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Interesting (if true)
    NOTICIA @partidodelas12: El Real Madrid va a fichar a KIKO CASILLA por 3 millones de euros.

Translation: Madrid on the verge of signing Espanyol keeper Kiko Casilla.

https://twitter.com/partidodelas12/status/618540778512621568?s=09

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well the 13 goals a season was in Bundesliga, and 10 assists, where he normally plays 10 games a season in CF and then games at CAM, RM, RWF, even LM and CM.

To be so consistent while playing in a huge amount of positions is extremely impressive. BUt stats are stats and the way he plays is important too. I've rarely see him have a bad game.

I'd love a player with the above attributes..
    We've not had a midfielder/ attacker scoring like that since the heady days of 2008 - 2011

Rooney and van persie I think have been the only players to get in excess of those figures over 2/3 seasons???

Whens the last time we'd a MF scoring 10+ goals a season?? Scholes I'll say, but no one else

Your MF should be getting 5-10 each a year, Attacking players 10+ at least and ST 20+...

We've had a lot of trouble hitting the onion sack since fergie left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Interesting (if true)

Translation: Madrid on the verge of signing Espanyol keeper Kiko Casilla.
    Probably just resigning him to make a few more quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thomas Muller at 25 years of age, and his Bundesliga record:
    121 goals in 304 games.

For Germany:
    27 goals in 63 games.

Personal awards:
    FIFA world cup 2010: young player of the tournament
    FIFA world cup 2010: Golden boot winner.
    FIFA world cup 2010: Most assists.
    World soccer young player of the year 2010.
    5th in last year's Ballon d'Or list.
    Silver boot at last years world cup.
    Silver ball winner at the 2014 world cup (voted as 2nd best player behind Messi)
    Made the dream team and the all star team of the 2014 world cup
    Shares record with two other players for player to score at least five goals per world cup (2010, 2014)

--

Rooney:
    185 goals in 407 premier league games

One can argue different leagues, so internationally:
    48 goals in 105 games.

If you compare their strike rate on the international level, they are fairly even though Muller doesn't usually play as striker.

So in the Ballon dor Muller was in the list of the top 5 best players last year,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Anyone speak Italian to translate that?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Fair play to this Omid Zamani kid. He's some journalism student according to his Twitter, but he stuck to his guns regarding the transfer every step of the way, even when Sky Italia and Sky UK were mistranslating nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The day has come, after 3 years fantastic leave Turin. Wonderful three years where I learned to play, have fun and I learned above all to live! It is thanks to my teammates and my fans who have become so, a player tried from all over Europe, is only about you and Mr. Ventura, more than a coach to me, the second father. Right now I have no words, I'm just crying. Remember that I leave Turin for a future career choice, not because I am evil. Turin will always be my second home, I never tire of her. I do a good luck to all the team and the fans.
    This is not a goodbye but a see you. In these three years we went back to A, we won against Juventus after 20 years and we are back in the so-called Europe League. I think to go away with a clear conscience affixed, at least I hope so. My I did for this team, I gave all of my heart and my soul. It was an honor to play for Torino and also be in a few games the captain! I think the love I gave to this city, will be returned in a few parts. Thanks for everything Turin!
    Matteo Darmian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This portrayal of di Maria as some sort of unmitigated disaster of a failed transfer after one (moderately successful) season is just dummy out of mouth stuff.

Larry Wildman would be nodding in agreement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

GK
    Darmian--CB--Smalling --Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera
    Schiniderlin
    ADM
    Depay
    Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Roquentin wrote: »

GK
    Blind
    Herrera
    Schiniderlin
    ADM
    Depay
    Rooney

Blx4ScUCEAA9KXl.png

Roquentin wrote: »

GK
    Blind
    Herrera
    Schiniderlin
    ADM
    Depay
    Rooney
    GK
    Darmian - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera - ADM
    Mata - Rooney - Depay

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I thought that was from fake instagram account.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Di Maria started off great, got injured, got burgled, got dropped. I still love him as a player.

But it is getting harder to see where he fits in the team if we buy two midfielders.

Don't think Van Gaal wants him in the front three, and that is why we are looking for someone like Muller (which is likely to be an impossible signing to make) and we have Mata for there.

It could be like the De Gea situation.
    De Gea and we get to Ramos.
    Di Maria and we get to sign Muller.
    and if either sides disagrees, then player stays.

I think Muller would suit United and what Van Gaal wants better than Di Maria does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keane2097 wrote: »
    This portrayal of di Maria as some sort of unmitigated disaster of a failed transfer after one (moderately successful) season is just dummy out of mouth stuff.

Larry Wildman would be nodding in agreement.

Ah good old Larry Bateman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

MagicIRL wrote: »
    GK
    Darmian - Smalling - Rojo - Shaw
    Schneiderlin
    Herrera - ADM
    Mata - Rooney - Depay

i like that as well.

i think he will have the luxury of switching it around. 3-5-2 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Why make this mistake again?"?. Are you referring to Di Maria, he's only been here one season. Is it not a bit soon to call it a mistake? Even so there's no point looking at a player who did not do well and say "Well we paid X amount for him and look what happened, no point making that mistake again"

Well for me it isn't just one player, its Di Maria, Shevchenko, Torres, Veron, Kaka, Ozil, Falcao, Hulk, Robinho, and many many more. Football is littered with examples of great players who moved for massive money and frankly turned out to just not be worth it.

For every Zidane proving to be worth every penny, there are far more Torres' who cost tens of millions and did no better than a Loric Remy or Demba Ba would have done. For a hell of a lot of big money signings hindsight would show that the money would have been far better spent elsewhere. Take last season, you cannot tell me we would have been worse off had we passed on Di Maria and Falcao, saved £60m and instead just kept Nani and Wellbeck. Would our season have went much differently? Hell, it would probably have went better. That doesn't mean Di Maria and Falcao weren't the more taleneted pair, it just means that once again it simply wasn't worth the big investment for some marginal gains.

I'm not saying the big investment is never the right choice, clearly the likes of Ferdinand and Ronaldo and Rooney have shown that often it is the right choice to spend whatever it takes to get the man. But it should be the exception rather than the rule, and I don't think Di Maria was worth the exception, and I don't think Muller would be either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

GSPfan wrote: »
    Love the fact that people here think United have no idea what they are doing when it comes to money.

People moaning about paying too much or bidding too little. I think the men and women in Uniteds board room know exactly what they are doing when it comes to money.

You are a consumer and Manchester United is a business. Were you bothered by the amount Facebook paid for WhatsApp? Were you bothered by the amount Disney paid for Pixar?

If United want to buy Muller i'm on board at any price. I really don't care as long as he is in a United shirt winning games.

I agree with the sentiment - to a point, but the example is a bad one.

We're all here talking about Manchester United and care what happens to the club and have some level of emotional attachment.

If Facebook/WhatsApp/Disney or 99% of the other organisations in the world went bust, it either wouldn't bothered me, or I'd get over it. For that 1%, I would see making good decisions (financially or otherwise) as quite important for long term success.

To take it to the extreme, if United went out and paid £100m for Sergio Ramos, do you think that our fans would just say, "fine so, don't care what we pay"

I doubt it.

Ah good old Larry Bateman.

I miss oul Larry Wildman

We know it's a done deal anyway, but http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33443438

Also, didn't realise there was an official bid for ol' Morgan http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33415617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We know it's a done deal anyway, but http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33443438

Also, didn't realise there was an official bid for ol' Morgan http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33415617

Yeah Koeman said first that a bid was received that the club did not feel was serious so was rejected.

He then in a presser in last few days said United had made a bid two weeks ago that did not meet their evaluation of the player

I wouldn't be taken for a spin by Southampton for Scheiderlan, we gave them over the odds, way over the odds, for a crocked piece of **** last year.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't be taken for a spin by Southampton for Scheiderlan, we gave them over the odds, way over the odds, for a crocked piece of **** last year.
    Huh? WTF?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement