Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I read that earlier. A very damning article. It's not surprising though seeing as both Moyes and LVG has been very vocal about how poorly the academy is set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Indeed...read it at lunchtime.

It'll be a few years until we see the real impact of it but none the less something needs to be done to address the balance.

Really enjoyed seeing us spank City at youth level this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I will only be worried when city start producing players from the youth team. Man Utd have a history of producing players and giving them their opportunity. City just go and spend £30m to replace a player. Did city even use one player from their youth team last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »
    I will only be worried when city start producing players from the youth team. Man Utd have a history of producing players and giving them their opportunity. City just go and spend £30m to replace a player. Did city even use one player from their youth team last year?

Just because there is a history of something happening. Dosent mean it will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"This is just the start for City," explains a source familiar with both clubs. "There's not a huge difference in the quality of the players at both clubs at present, but that could change. City have two full time coaches for each age group. United's coaches are part-time. Some are good, some less so. The facilities at City's new training ground are superior. Their pitches are fully enclosed and they have floodlights."

At Carrington, where first David Moyes and now Van Gaal insisted that floodlights are installed on first team pitches, the youth players train on open and occasionally windswept fields. Meanwhile, whereas City's youth teams play in a proper 6,000 capacity stadium, United's take place before a temporary stand that seats 120.

Good grief. The club needs to pull its finger out on this, pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Can you honestly say that Utd aren't moving in that direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Its very likely they'll be adding 2 or 3 to the 1st team squad for next season. They have a few really promising kids at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/619137726944780290

They can chant all they want,if Real don't play ball,we won't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/619137726944780290

Doesnt work like that i'm afraid. He could throw a strop like Sterling is at L'pool to force a move through.

Plus Madrid and their media are notorious for acting the maggot with player purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

slingerz wrote: »
    Doesnt work like that i'm afraid. He could throw a strop like Sterling is at L'pool to force a move through.

Plus Madrid and their media are notorious for acting the maggot with player purchases

if he threw a strop, i doubt he would, we still dont have to sell. he can sit out his contract but we do not have to sell unless madrid give us the money we value him at. the offers from madrid are worth less that him in the team for 12 more months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't think De Gea is as childish as Sterling and his agent.Fair play to him for saying nothing with all this speculation going on.If Madrid want him,let them pay what we ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If he wants to pull a strop then he can sit on the bench for a season.

Can you honestly say that Utd aren't moving in that direction?

not with the manager we have who likes to give youth a chance.

Last season alone, he played McNair, Blackett, Januzaj, Pereira, Keane, Wilson, Reece, probably another I cant think of

Last season alone, he played McNair, Blackett, Januzaj, Pereira, Keane, Wilson, Reece, probably another I cant think of

Probably becuase everyone was injured

Trond wrote: »
    Its very likely they'll be adding 2 or 3 to the 1st team squad for next season. They have a few really promising kids at the moment.

any names to keep an eye out for? haven't really heard of any to be honest. I remember hearing about rooney was he was 14/15, same with sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Shows you how far RvP's stock has fallen when him leaving hasn't caused a stir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jesse Lingard
    Reece James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Janko Powell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Some craic if we get Fenerbahce in the qualifiers and Van Persie and Nani knock us out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looking at Skybet, odds on Bale joining cut from 13/2 to 3/1. Don't think they are selling him.
    But it is an area of the pitch that United are looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

J. Marston wrote: »
    Some craic if we get Fenerbahce in the qualifiers and Van Persie and Nani knock us out.

No, no it wouldn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭paulbok

And they are looking to sign Mikel from Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Janko Powell
    not academy products
    bought in players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

brinty wrote: »
    not academy products
    bought in players

Same as Januzaj and Pereira who were also listed

This from yesterday, I am a Federer fan...

Federer and Mata
    https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/618851163765633024

Federer and De Gea
    https://twitter.com/D_DeGea/status/618846791245676544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/619151558916227073

Break the internet....with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I lol'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lol, journalists are desperate :P

• Advertisement

Shows you how far RvP's stock has fallen when him leaving hasn't caused a stir.

Eh. 2 years ago or last year would have been crazy.
    If he dosent want to be a back up and wants to move, he is more than entitled to.
    He was a great player for us, in that one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That is a bit worrying. Especially the fact that we have part-time coaches in some areas coaching these players. Look at what Chelsea have done with their youth sides and how they will more than likely reap the rewards in the net 3-5 years with the likes of Bamford, Loftus-Cheek and Calobah all going to push for squad places.

For me the youth setup is massively important in that it is always excellent to see a player come through and develop. To be fair we haven't done too badly in that regard so far - we have a very high number of top level professionals still in the Premier League if not necessarily at the club. So clearly what we're doing has worked to this point but with the noisy neighbours investing so much time and money into their setup, then we're going to have to keep up to some degree.

With all that said we are still producing players of a very high level (Pogba, Rossi) along with a lot of young guys currently on the books that will push to play first team this year (Perreira, Wilson, Blackett, Lingard) but if you look across England it's a transition from youth to senior that all the top clubs are struggling with. Sides are deciding to pay more for a developed young player than pay to develop them themselves when there is no guarantee of success. Even Arsenal for their storied underage setup for instance have Szczesny, Gibbs, Wilshere and Coquelin (at a push) as their only real youth products on their team. The rest are bought at 17-19.

So whatever our coaches are doing, they're doing right. But I'd hate to see a situation where we'd lost those coaches because we didn't pay them right or because they got paid better elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You would have to be very brave or insane to throw a strop with LvG :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Discodog wrote: »
    You would have to be very brave or insane to throw a strop with LvG :pac:

lvg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That is a bit worrying. Especially the fact that we have part-time coaches in some areas coaching these players. Look at what Chelsea have done with their youth sides and how they will more than likely reap the rewards in the net 3-5 years with the likes of Bamford, Loftus-Cheek and Calobah all going to push for squad places.

It definitely is a concern on our part (though I am not a big fan of the English development process at all - the Dutch model is much better for forming intelligent players, and actual rounded people as well; the latter being something Ferguson always placed a huge emphasis on).

As for Chelsea though, I wouldn't necessarily believe the hype - they've had 2, 3, 4 or even 5 "future world superstars" on their youth books for the better part of a decade, and not a single one has made it through. Partly due to them having a very solid core of players typically, but also down to Mourinho's history of bleeding in young players being less than stellar, and a general over-hyping in the media. It's not too different to Arsenal of 5-10 years ago where every young player to get 5 minutes against Scunthorpe in a Carling Cup third round game was supposed to be the next Tony Adams, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp or Henry depending on their position. They have a manager more willing to try young players and a noticeably less solid core of veterans than Chelsea (not to mention having to sell players where Chelsea can afford not to), but their return on investment wasn't even nearly what it was hyped up to be. Very young players at United, be they someone now in the lower leagues, or a Pogba or Rossi, never really get the hype of their counterparts at other clubs for some strange reason.

We need to work on our youth system though, most importantly the transition to the first team (and a uniform system from the youngest age group up to the first team), there is no doubt about that. I just don't think that those around us are really doing much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Billy86 wrote: »
    It definitely is a concern on our part (though I am not a big fan of the English development process at all - the Dutch model is much better for forming intelligent players, and actual rounded people as well; the latter being something Ferguson always placed a huge emphasis on).

That's true. The Ajax model I though is excellent in the way they continuously assess the skills of their players and have to have a certain level in each of these things to progress to the next stage - including the right personality. May be wrong but there was something about having different ages train with each other until they get up to the required - i.e. a 15 year old may be technically proficient so moves up with the older players to develop physically whereas an older player may be held back until his technical ability gets up to scratch. Nearly sure I heard something about Christian Eriksen being the quickest to progress through to senior level from date of arrival.

The big issue here though is the FA and how they run the competitions. They complain about a lack of English players coming through and yet they don't have enough games on for sides as mentioned in the article. As such, you have to keep your squad to 20-25 players max because there's no point having more with no gametime available. More games, B' competitions in each age group if needed, and more reserve fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Anyone place much credence in the Di Maria to PSG rumors? I have a feeling that it will go through. It would be sad to see such a top player leave, especially as it's so hard to get them in in the first place. Van Gaal likely has faith in Young after last season, plus he got renewed, and for sure Depay. These two might be the wide pairing might next season. On the bright side, it might see Januzaj getting more chances and fulfilling his potential.

???

Darmain, Smalling / Jones, Rojo, Shaw

Depay, Carrick, (Fellaini), Blind, Young

Mata

Rooney

Anyone place much credence in the Di Maria to PSG rumors?

if he goes, i would like Verrati in return + alot of cash

Verrati in midfield would be quality

De Gea?
    Darmian---Smalling---Rojo---Shaw
    Verrati?

Mata
    Herrera
    Januzaj?
    Depay
    Rooney

switch januzaj and verrati with di maria and sneiderlin if di maria to psg dosnt happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »

Thats brilliant for us, I think; it gives us some weight in negotiations. We can be awkward as **** cause it's obvious the pressure is on Perez to deliver now...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

De Gea sure to leave soon and another favourite in Van Persie possibly leaving possibly lessens chances of Di Maria going.

The noises are from France and I don't get a sense right now that the player or club are looking for change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its insane to think that a club could pay certain players hundreds of thousands per week, but can't find a few hundred grand a year for a full range of full time coaches.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    if he goes, i would like Verrati in return + alot of cash

Verrati in midfield would be quality

De Gea?
    Darmian---Smalling---Rojo---Shaw
    Verrati?

Mata
    Herrera
    Januzaj?
    Depay
    Rooney

switch januzaj and verrati with di maria and sneiderlin if di maria to psg dosnt happen

I forgot about Herrera in my lineup! Sneiderlin is pretty much sure to arrive it seems. Carrick, though ageing, w a still key last season, Fellaini although higher up improved a lot, Blind and Herrera, it's been a while that United have had so many quality CM. But still the standard needed is a little more, e.g. Fabregas, Toure etc.
    DM_7 wrote: »
    De Gea sure to leave soon and another favourite in Van Persie possibly leaving possibly lessens chances of Di Maria going.

The noises are from France and I don't get a sense right now that the player or club are looking for change.

There was that one little comment where he said he wondered why he wasn't starting later on in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Billy86 wrote: »

As for Chelsea though, I wouldn't necessarily believe the hype - they've had 2, 3, 4 or even 5 "future world superstars" on their youth books for the better part of a decade, and not a single one has made it through. Partly due to them having a very solid core of players typically, but also down to Mourinho's history of bleeding in young players being less than stellar, and a general over-hyping in the media. It's not too different to Arsenal of 5-10 years ago where every young player to get 5 minutes against Scunthorpe in a Carling Cup third round game was supposed to be the next Tony Adams, Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp or Henry depending on their position. They have a manager more willing to try young players and a noticeably less solid core of veterans than Chelsea (not to mention having to sell players where Chelsea can afford not to), but their return on investment wasn't even nearly what it was hyped up to be. Very young players at United, be they someone now in the lower leagues, or a Pogba or Rossi, never really get the hype of their counterparts at other clubs for some strange reason.

We need to work on our youth system though, most importantly the transition to the first team (and a uniform system from the youngest age group up to the first team), there is no doubt about that. I just don't think that those around us are really doing much better.

Pogba wasn't at Utd very long. Just when people began to hype him, he left.

Plenty of Utd players have been hyped up over the last decade. Tosic and guys like that.

I forgot about Herrera in my lineup! Sneiderlin is pretty much sure to arrive it seems. Carrick, though ageing, w a still key last season, Fellaini although higher up improved a lot, Blind and Herrera, it's been a while that United have had so many quality CM.

I have a man love for Mata and Herrera so thats why i left out the rest. Only thing that worrys me about my team is the lack of height going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Be happy enough to see Darmian and Schneiderlin join. Hopefully those deals go through very soon. Still need a CB and striker though! Reckon the team will have a nice balance next year with those signings alone. Easy to forget Memphis signed :) Such an exciting prospect

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I have a man love for Mata and Herrera so thats why i left out the rest. Only thing that worrys me about my team is the lack of height going forward.

Reportedly height was Rafael's downfall for Van Gaal.

1414361618631_Image_galleryImage_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_OCTOBE.JPG

I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it does look like we will get Otamendi.
    AS reported that Real Madrid wanted him to replace Ramos, but they believe Otamendi is joining United, and have turned their attention to Garay.

But now Bayern Munich are said to want to sign Ramos too. I doubt they would match what United would offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Last 4 jerseys I got have kagawa van persie falcao di maria on them!

Not good omens!!

Are you Futureguys arch-nemesis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

lvg.jpg

Wow at least 4 snipers trying to take down LVG at all times and he is still here obvious now he is a terminator.

I'll get me coat

But I'll be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Would Darmian and Schneiderlin appease Utd fans if that was it? Underwhelming on paper but considering how poor the big names were last season, maybe solid players are what Utd need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would Darmian and Schneiderlin appease Utd fans if that was it? Underwhelming on paper but considering how poor the big names were last season, maybe solid players are what Utd need.

Not really, squad needs a little growth to manage what we have coming next season, at the moment it is shrinking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement