Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Would Darmian and Schneiderlin appease Utd fans if that was it? Underwhelming on paper but considering how poor the big names were last season, maybe solid players are what Utd need.

not with what looks likely to be very limited options up front(what if rooney gets a serious injury?) and we have to sign at least 1 cb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Would Darmian and Schneiderlin appease Utd fans if that was it? Underwhelming on paper but considering how poor the big names were last season, maybe solid players are what Utd need.

At the very least need a striker on top of them and maybe its "ok"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No, we need a CB, i feel that is the priority this summer, by all accounts Otemendi is close and he would be ideal. So would Ramos mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

astradave wrote: »
    No, we need a CB, i feel that is the priority this summer, by all accounts Otemendi is close and he would be ideal. So would Ramos mind you

i will not settle for less than both :pac:

lvg.jpg

I think I saw that picture before
    swiffer+BRendan+SMyth.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    Pogba wasn't at Utd very long. Just when people began to hype him, he left.

Plenty of Utd players have been hyped up over the last decade. Tosic and guys like that.

Also looking at it there, none of the top teams have a really good youth system.

It's really important for clubs like Southampton in terms of finances but you can't predict the ceiling of a player when they're a teenager.

Utd need world class players. They can also afford world class players.

I think expecting more than say 2 in a generation to come though the academy is a bit wishful.

I guess Barca are the only team to have really have a youth system contribute the finished product but along with players like Xavi and Pique, you've a bunch like Puyol, Messi, Iniesta etc who were all signed as teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I think I saw that picture before

dirtybastard.jpg

Jaaaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thats brilliant for us, I think; it gives us some weight in negotiations. We can be awkward as **** cause it's obvious the pressure is on Perez to deliver now...

To be honest I doubt Perez gives a ****. Real Madrid is like the bounty hunter, they always get their man.

They even had a stage in place for the unveiling of bale, 1 week before he even signed which really pissed Spurs off and they were willing to sell to us at the time because of it, that's the time we bid 100m but bale had his heart set on madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

"Its Getting Serious!"
    "Manchester United offer for Schweinsteiger"

2,w=658,c=0.bild.jpg

Probably shíte but BILD in Germany running this now about a "concrete" offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

irishfeen wrote: »
    "Its Getting Serious!"
    "Manchester United offer for Schweinsteiger"

2,w=658,c=0.bild.jpg

Probably shíte but BILD in Germany running this now about a "concrete" offer.

https://twitter.com/iMiaSanMia/status/619206950937579521

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sky had a story there last hour that he is flattered by interest, and due to meet with Bayern officials over weekend

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sky had a story there last hour that he is flattered by interest, and due to meet with Bayern officials over weekend

Batting his eyelids at us the little temptress

Batting his eyelids at us the little temptress

Freak my **** if we got him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Are you Futureguys arch-nemesis

Ha ha it's looking that way!

I wonder if I buy a city jersey with Aguero on it what would happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

On a scale of 1 to ayran, Bastian is pretty ayran.
    Would be a great 1st German.

• Advertisement

Are any of ye miserable bastards staying up to watch the pre season games?

I might get up for the one on the weekday before work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

On a scale of 1 to ayran, Bastian is pretty ayran.
    Would be a great 1st German.

1st german at 1st team maybe, but Ron Robert Zieler turned out to be fairly good in the bundes league but was just never given a chance at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What time they starting roughly this year?

Nuts102 wrote: »

4:10am for 3 of them. So it's good timing for before work. Over before 7

9pm for the barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,422 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would like us to sign Schweinsteiger - but only if it is in addition to Schneiderlin. I fear the delay in moving on Schneiderlin is because it is either him or Schweinsteiger, with the club prioritising Schweinsteiger - and I reckon Schneiderlin would be the better buy for United if it is one or the other.

I also reckon BS would be a shorter term buy - I reckon we'd get two seasons out of him before his level dropped below standard.

Adding BS and MS to the midfielder would really complete our midfield needs, imo.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »

two start at 4am, one at 2am and one at 9pm, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes, but I will go to bed and get up for them, can milk the cows when the 4am matches are over.
    is there one at 2am?
    Edit ok for the 2am, get some sleep, with alarm set, then coffee and watch the game, then some more sleep...

Would like us to sign Schweinsteiger - but only if it is in addition to Schneiderlin. I fear the delay in moving on Schneiderlin is because it is either him or Schweinsteiger, with the club prioritising Schweinsteiger - and I reckon Schneiderlin would be the better buy for United if it is one or the other.

I also reckon BS would be a shorter term buy - I reckon we'd get two seasons out of him before his level dropped below standard.

Adding BS and MS to the midfielder would really complete our midfield needs, imo.

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlan would be an immense base, to let Herrera, Depay, Mata and Rooney go cause absolute immense damage.

Schweinsteiger likes to get in the mix also. I'd imagine delays arn't regarding one or the other, team could do with both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

would love to see both of them

Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlan would be an immense base, to let Herrera, Depay, Mata and Rooney go cause absolute immense damage.

Schweinsteiger likes to get in the mix also. I'd imagine delays arn't regarding one or the other, team could do with both.

i agree with what you say - the team could do with both, but I do see rumours that it is one or the other and the priority is BS; it would explain why we are taking so long to go back to Southampton with an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We will sign two CBs, two midfielders, a striker/RW - that is why we are interested in Muller and Bale, for that area, so we will have Mata/??? for that position.
    Presume we have Darmian for right back. We have Depay for LW.
    Then a goalkeeper.
    That is 8 players but then we have let go a lot of players/expected to go.
    But LVG has done this kind of thing in the past...

i agree with what you say - the team could do with both, but I do see rumours that it is one or the other and the priority is BS; it would explain why we are taking so long to go back to Southampton with an offer.

Wonder if maybe there is someone totally not on the press radar that maybe we are dealing with also?

Considering how out of the blue Darmian came? So could be either Schweini or Schneidi, and then a random out of the dark signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Be very shortsighted of the club to not sign Schneiderlin because they are chasing BS.BS is a fine footballer but would possibly only get 2 seasons from him, the priory should be Schneiderlan,a young replacement for Carrick is needed.
    I would love to see both signed ,it really would be a formidable midfield then,a real good mix .

Wonder if maybe there is someone totally not on the press radar that maybe we are dealing with also?

Considering how out of the blue Darmian came? So could be either Schweini or Schneidi, and then a random out of the dark signing

obviously there could be - no way to tell if they are working on a deal we haven't heard about, because we haven't heard about it!

My gut would say no, but thats a guess.

My assumption is that we are talking to Otamendi, Ramos, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin - but there could be further backup options we have spoken too - Felipe Anderson, for example, who has been linked a few times.

As for a forward player - we surely have to be talking to someone, if not a few people. Muller, Kane?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a striker in advance talks if RVP is out the door.

• Advertisement

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a striker in advance talks if RVP is out the door.

i concur

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    1st german at 1st team maybe, but Ron Robert Zieler turned out to be fairly good in the bundes league but was just never given a chance at united.
    What ever happened the german midefielder we had at that time aswell. Markus Neuermayr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ha ha it's looking that way!

I wonder if I buy a city jersey with Aguero on it what would happen?

Yous setup a pay pal account and Im sure you would easily make double the price of the Jersey from donations.

This forum knows about the magical world of the transfer market and that some fans can bend it to thier will.

Darmian arriving on a train to Manchester has not being lost on us believers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Roquentin wrote: »
    i concur

"A" striker yes, and even that depends somewhat on the Chico situation, but I'd be surprised if it's a top one.

I think LvG will just want to use one centre forward this season with the likes of Memphis and AdM attacking from wide. And because of that, Rooney will be the main one with anyone else only providing relief.

Would be happy too if that is the case and the bulk of the money is put into two CM's and a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lads we need a clinical finisher.

Chico Rooney and Wilson isn't enough, regardless what system we play imo

Who though? I'd take one of the Belgian lads. Lukaku or Benteke

Trilla wrote: »

benteke or kane id say

Last year with no Europe we had 3 strikers that played 20+ matches in League alone

This year with Europe we need only one striker.

That makes sense alright.

If we bid the 32.5m we could get Benteke no problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would be really annoyed if Schneiderlin is not signed and he ends up at City or Arsenal soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DM_7 wrote: »
    I would be really annoyed if Schneiderlin is not signed and he ends up at City or Arsenal soon after.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

There is a striker, a Belgium striker, a bentekkeee............can see us singing his song when he bangs in 20+ goals for united this season but realise I'm in the minority who think he could do a great job for us with his strength,speed and aerial ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

What ever happened the german midefielder we had at that time aswell. Markus Neuermayr?

Quick Google and he is playing for some team from Lichtenstein. Never had much of a career by the looks of it

So if we are going for an attacking target - who is there?

Ronaldo - Real won't want to sell and he won't want to leave 11 goals off becoming their leading scorer.
    Bale - pet project of the president, but I have heard rumours it could be done, for various reasons.
    Muller - Don't see Bayern having any interest in selling Muller for any reason.

Kane - will absolutely be linked, but I can't see us being able to prise him away from Spurs in a timely manner, don't think we would waste the time that would be needed to even have a shot at getting him in.
    Benzema - talk that Ronaldo might be pushed central this season, could see Benzema hit the markey, maybe. Would be a great signing.
    Cavani - will absolutely be linked, as he has been every window under Woodward. Not a big fan of him myself.
    Benteke - Has a relese clause and would jump at the chance to sign for us, but I reckon more likely for Liverpool.
    Lukaku - young, a proven goal scorer. I have doubts over his application and attitude; was briefly linked, but from tentative agent talk - so i don't think we are actually interest in him.

Can;t think of anyone else that we would be available, or that we are likely to be linked with.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Quick Google and he us playing for some team from Lichtenstein. Never had much of a career by the looks of it

I thought I was miles off with the spelling and google would fail. I thought he looked good. Suprised thats how his career went tbh.

Last year with no Europe we had 3 strikers that played 20+ matches in League alone

who is saying we only need one striker? This straw man argument is used too much. your stats are also misleading.

Firstly, Rooney played a number of games in midfield.
    Secondly, a number of games were played with Falcao, Rooney and RVP being shoe-horned into an unbalanced formation.
    Thirdly, we ended the season playing a one striker formation - so we only have room for one first choice striker if the formation stays the same (as I hope it does)

so while I have previously said I can't see us buying an elite level striker - I would still argue we need an attacking player - but one that needs to be ok(ish) with playing second fiddle to Rooney in the big games, most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Only if you take the pessimestic view and decide that we won't sign a striker before Sep 1st. Most people believe that there's no way RVP is being allowed to leave unless a replacement is already lined up.

I think Benteke would be a great signing tbh, he's a proven PL goal scorer and he'd only get more in a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Anyway as I was saying last night there will be no medicals at Carrington today we are going to have 3 of them tomorrow one after the other.... #mysticjay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Benteke would be a great signing tbh, he's a proven PL goal scorer and he'd only get more in a better team.

I agree with your interesting observation id go for bentekkers no problem he would get ya well over 20 goals a season been feed balls from the likes of di Maria and Mata and Anders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

who is saying we only need one striker? This straw man argument is used too much. your stats are also misleading.

Firstly, Rooney played a number of games in midfield.
    Secondly, a number of games were played with Falcao, Rooney and RVP being shoe-horned into an unbalanced formation.
    Thirdly, we ended the season playing a one striker formation - so we only have room for one first choice striker if the formation stays the same (as I hope it does)

so while I have previously said I can't see us buying an elite level striker - I would still argue we need an attacking player - but one that needs to be ok(ish) with playing second fiddle to Rooney in the big games, most of the time.

Agree most likely the STARTING formation will involve rooney as the main lone striker. But when we are 2-0 down or struggling to break down stokes parked bus we will need a front 2 with Wilson just not being good enough quality (yet) imo. Not to mention if/when rooney gets injured we need a high quality frontman to take his place. I dare not mention being 2-0 down and rooney being injured.......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement